PDA

View Full Version : Flight Models: CFS2 vs FB/AEP

BSS_Vidar
07-12-2004, 03:48 PM
I posted this in the PF Forum, and thought it would be a good discussion point here:

CFS2's and FB FM's have their weaknesses and their strengths. The "instant trim" on a slider modeled in CFS2 allowing excessive angle-of-attack with complete control and no departure is horendus. For instance... A Corsair in G-Lock in a 400mph dive can't pull out with the elevator, but if you pull the slider back on the elevator trim, it pulls out easily. A 3' by 6" trim tab should not have that kind of pitch authority. The main inaccuracy in FB/AEP is the inputs are way too snappy and quick. Roll rates are way too fast. If planes flew like that in real life; physiologicaly, the pilot would be worn to a frazzel. CFS2's roll rates are very well done.

I've said this before, Ailerons should not have enough authority on the groud that they could stop a plane from tipping over during a ground-loop or high speed turn in a taxi. FB/AEP has this flaw which obviously translats in the air as excessive roll rate. I'll bet alot of the hesitations we see during on-line flying would be reduced if these roll rates where knocked down to where they're suppose to be. Computers sometimes have to catch up with these excessive roll rates, therefore causing freezes/hesitations during on-line game play.

BSS_Vidar

BSS_Vidar
07-12-2004, 03:48 PM
I posted this in the PF Forum, and thought it would be a good discussion point here:

CFS2's and FB FM's have their weaknesses and their strengths. The "instant trim" on a slider modeled in CFS2 allowing excessive angle-of-attack with complete control and no departure is horendus. For instance... A Corsair in G-Lock in a 400mph dive can't pull out with the elevator, but if you pull the slider back on the elevator trim, it pulls out easily. A 3' by 6" trim tab should not have that kind of pitch authority. The main inaccuracy in FB/AEP is the inputs are way too snappy and quick. Roll rates are way too fast. If planes flew like that in real life; physiologicaly, the pilot would be worn to a frazzel. CFS2's roll rates are very well done.

I've said this before, Ailerons should not have enough authority on the groud that they could stop a plane from tipping over during a ground-loop or high speed turn in a taxi. FB/AEP has this flaw which obviously translats in the air as excessive roll rate. I'll bet alot of the hesitations we see during on-line flying would be reduced if these roll rates where knocked down to where they're suppose to be. Computers sometimes have to catch up with these excessive roll rates, therefore causing freezes/hesitations during on-line game play.

BSS_Vidar

WWMaxGunz
07-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Trim tab doesn't work by control authority. It changes stick pressure.
The unreal part is the instantaneous use ability.

But otherwise, good post!

Neal

LeadSpitter_
07-12-2004, 04:45 PM
I noticed in the BOB models look like each tab will be moveable.

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/LSIG1.gif

BSS_Vidar
07-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Exactly right Gunz!
Trim tabs are for taking dynamic pressures off the flight controls so the pilot won't have to work to maintain constant flight parameters.

People assigned elevator trim to a slider and would "instantly" have full trim throw. I know of people adding another joystick (usually a cheaper one) and assigning the elevator trim axis to it. When they wanted to do a "Hy-aka" turn way passed critical angle-of-attack, they pulled the secondary joystick. When they were done with the turn, they simpley released it and the trim would snap back to neutral.
I did try this, but only off-line so I'ld know when someone was trying it on me on-line.The Blacksheep always posted rooms we hosted as neutral trim only unless, setting level flight or triming out damage.
That's one of the best things I do like about the FM in FB/AEP. That elevator trim wheele only goes so fast whether assigned to an axis or a button.
Just fix the pitch and roll rates, and I'm good.

S!

BSS_Vidar

[This message was edited by BSS_Vidar on Mon July 12 2004 at 05:27 PM.]

Liosha
07-12-2004, 06:31 PM
I agree with the Ailerons and Roll rate part!
I spoke with the real WW2 pilot who flew Hellcat and Mustang.
He said you cannot even make a barrel roll without the rudder with the ailerons alone,-you'd stuck inverted. Then, after the plane started the roll, you cannot stop it just by returning the stick to the center, you had to apply opposite pressure on it.
Also any turn should be started with the pedal, and in FB you seem do not need the rudder for that.

It would be great if developers fixed it!