PDA

View Full Version : Only ways to make this game work competitive, and you need the competitive community

JuggaloRB
07-17-2014, 08:18 PM
-Dedicated servers
-100+ tick rate servers
-Free community ran servers
-Mod Support & SDK
-Some sort of spectate mode
-No paid DLC that can change game balance, aka guns, boosts, equipment, ect

Without this the game will not be taken seriously. Competitive communities are great for developers and publishers.

It gets their name out
It spreads publicity
It brings in sponsors which makes more money
It brings in players who would have normally scoffed at the the game
It keeps the game's lifespan longer

Look at LoL, DotA 2, SC2, CS. All these games have been around for a long time aside from LoL which came out in 09 and they have stood the test of time. CS has over 2 million active players a month. The franchise is just over 13 years old and going strong. Look at Star Craft, the famous RTS came out in the late 90's and it is still widely popular. Without the mod support of games DotA 1 would not have been a thing nor would have Counter-Strike. which together are almost 30 years old. That's insane!!!!!!!

You want a long lasting franchise and respect back Ubisoft listen to me.

Pest_AWC
07-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Ravenshield had tons of community support because they had the map editor and also allowed people to stream stats to their own custom stats servers...they also had dedicated servers with tons of options to customize the game.

They better have a Hardcore mode too...we don't need those helper Icons all over the screen, reload messages, health regen, and hit indicators that magically tell you when you hit someone through a wall.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
07-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Thank You for your suggestions.

BOTA-16
07-22-2014, 11:40 PM
-Dedicated servers
Absoultely, but this is the case regardless of whether or not it's played competitively.
-100+ tick rate servers
Doesn't this have more to with server providers than UBI? Maybe I'm mistaken.
-Free community ran servers
I'm not against it, but if I were to be playing it competitively I would much rather play on servers hosted by GSPs and not from someones home connection/computer.
-Mod Support & SDK
I don't see this as a requisite for competitive games. Would be great to have but it's not the end of the world if it's not available.
-Some sort of spectate mode
Again, great to have but not required.
-No paid DLC that can change game balance, aka guns, boosts, equipment, ect
There's no chance in hell this game won't have DLC and they will most certainly include weapons.

Without this the game will not be taken seriously. Competitive communities are great for developers and publishers.

It gets their name out
It spreads publicity
It brings in sponsors which makes more money
It brings in players who would have normally scoffed at the the game
It keeps the game's lifespan longer

Look at LoL, DotA 2, SC2, CS. All these games have been around for a long time aside from LoL which came out in 09 and they have stood the test of time. CS has over 2 million active players a month. The franchise is just over 13 years old and going strong. Look at Star Craft, the famous RTS came out in the late 90's and it is still widely popular. Without the mod support of games DotA 1 would not have been a thing nor would have Counter-Strike. which together are almost 30 years old. That's insane!!!!!!!

You want a long lasting franchise and respect back Ubisoft listen to me, along with the rest of the R6 community .

Just my thoughts. One thing I would add is the ability to record 'demos'. By those I don't mean videos but the text files that record every event and can be used to be played back in-game. They don't harm performance nor do they take up a lot of hard drive space unlike video recordings.

Dome500
07-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Yeah I think he is right with some of his points.

We need dedicated servers, and also servers that can (if the game is a success) be rented by the community.

As for the player-hosted games, we do not need that necessarily IMO.

Mod Support is IMPORTANT, but like athenian said not a must. Still, it would help a LOT (same counts for a map editor or SDK)

As for DLC, I agree partially. I'd say: Please no DLC that changes the game fundamentally. But if it's just a DLC with extra weapons and maps (and maybe with 1 or 2 extra singleplayer and coop missions) I'm all in.

pennst
07-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Yeah I think he is right with some of his points.

We need dedicated servers, and also servers that can (if the game is a success) be rented by the community.

As for the player-hosted games, we do not need that necessarily IMO.

Mod Support is IMPORTANT, but like athenian said not a must. Still, it would help a LOT (same counts for a map editor or SDK)

As for DLC, I agree partially. I'd say: Please no DLC that changes the game fundamentally. But if it's just a DLC with extra weapons and maps (and maybe with 1 or 2 extra singleplayer and coop missions) I'm all in.

Sorry but I want to host off my console especially so that my friends and I can get in the same room. I also like it it when I can get rid of the riff-raff and I'll leave it at that.

Dome500
07-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Sorry but I want to host off my console especially so that my friends and I can get in the same room. I also like it it when I can get rid of the riff-raff and I'll leave it at that.

That's something else. What you would want then is LAN support.
I'm all for enabling private LAN matches with one of the consoles as host, but servers should definitely be a part of the bigger community experience. Because if you are one time not playing with friends then the servers are the best option. Everything else just doesn't work right.

Look at Call of Duty MW2, Splinter Cell Blacklist, etc. The first had automated matchmaking with servers, the latter even had player-hosted matches. Often enough technical issues, host-changes and lag are big problems (like in SCB for example).

pennst
07-29-2014, 11:56 AM
I have played on servers of Ubisoft, Activision, and EA. I thought GR AW was a great game but got tired of the lag. I also have to fight the lag in COD games and BF4. I don't understand why those with poor internet have advantage over someone like me with a pretty good connection 50 down and almost 10 up. They need to do something about the servers, if its anything like GR gamers will lose interest fast.

BOTA-16
07-29-2014, 06:18 PM

Player hosted servers you are talking about (uses P2P connections) and what the OP is talking about are two different things. The OP is talking about UBI releasing the dedicated server files to the public so people can host dedicated servers from their PCs or purpose built gaming servers which would run off of their home internet connection. The other side of this is what EA did with BF and only released the server files to select game service providers (GSPs) in which people could only rent servers. The reason for EA doing this is it makes it harder for people to create "cracked" servers that people who pirate the game can connect and play MP. Usually if you have a "cracked" copy of the game you can not connect and play on standard servers.