PDA

View Full Version : Your FOV Preference in 3rd Person Games?

Wolfmeister1010
07-17-2014, 02:36 AM
I have talked with a lot of gamers about a variety of 3rd person games, such as AC, GTA, Watch Dogs, and Witcher. One of the things that is a common topic is the camera angles/FOV in the games. For example, someone complained to me that the camera was too close to Aiden in Watch Dogs, that the camera was too close to Edward in AC4 or they didn't like how the cam went off center while walking, or someone complaining that the FOV in Witcher 2 was too far away or close.

I am just curious..what is your preference for 3rd person actions games in regards to camera angle and FOV?

I think I am the only of my kind, the kind that likes the camera to be very close to the player and level to the ground. I know it can makes combat harder, but it makes me feel connected to the character and the experience. Over the shoulder views are fine for me as well in 3rd person shooters.

For example, in games like Batman Arkham and Witcher 2, and AC3, the camera is way too far away for my tastes. In AC3 I didn't like how the camera hovered above the player in combat. But AC1 camera was perfect. It stayed relatively close in upon open combat.

Do you like you camera close to the character or farther away?
Do you like the camera to be more level to the ground or more of a bird's eye view?

JustPlainQuirky
07-17-2014, 02:37 AM
I almost never notice FOV in 3rd person games.

I guess it only bothers me if its too close to the character or pointed too downwards.

Actually no. Only bothers me when I try to change the camera angle but the game wont let me see above or below the character.

guardian_titan
07-17-2014, 02:50 AM
I like games where I can see my character's feet. I also like to have some wiggle room in zooming out for the odd moments where I want to see more around me. I hate games that are either zoomed in too far (can only see from the waist up) or first person because both tend to make me nauseous.

Games like World of Warcraft where I can choose where my camera is and how far in/out my camera is I like. I often zoom the camera out to max when I'm in dungeons or raids but keep it closer to my character when I'm solo. I wasn't particularly fond of Mass Effect's camera because it was too close to Shepard. I did ultimately play all three Mass Effects (2-3 times each) after I got used to the camera, but it still causes me to get a bit sick if I return to them after a long hiatus.

Cameras that also reset back to a default position also bug the hell out of me. Resetting along the X access when in motion I can understand, but if I want the Y access above my character, then it shouldn't reset to a 40 degree angle behind the character just because I moved. :mad:

The only camera in the AC series that bugged me was the one when in AC3 when Connor entered buildings. I didn't like how it zoomed in and then offset Connor on the right. Beyond that ... and the AC4 first person, the cameras in AC I didn't mind. Well, no, I take that back. The AC2 puzzle cameras also drove me up a tree. Just because I hit a switch to start a timed puzzle doesn't mean I suddenly want to play a platformer with a restricted camera. :mad: I wanted to throw my computer out the window with those stupid puzzles. :mad:

Assassin_M
07-17-2014, 02:50 AM
I like having a choice...GTA always does it best

Wolfmeister1010
07-17-2014, 02:52 AM
You can change camera angle in GTA? Wait..lemme guess. only for PC version?

Assassin_M
07-17-2014, 03:01 AM
Nope, it was always that way on my consoles...

masterfenix2009
07-17-2014, 03:39 AM
As long as I can control the camera I usually don't care. *STARES ANGRILY AT THE GOD OF WAR FRANCHISE*

Ureh
07-17-2014, 03:41 AM
That shoulder camera in AC4 was sometimes annoying cause we couldn't control it (it'd just kick in whenever you started walking).

For the rest of the time, AC cameras are fine. Just the right distance and elevation for me.

I like the cameras adjustments we can make in Fallout and Elder Scroll games, cause we can zoom in really close to look at my character, go into 1st person, or move back for a really nice scenic view.

Fatal-Feit
07-17-2014, 04:37 AM
As long as I can control the camera I usually don't care. *STARES ANGRILY AT THE GOD OF WAR FRANCHISE*

This! God, I hate how they break immersion like that. For me, it's as long as I'm in control. Something I like about AC:3, and in Unity, is the fact that I can manually pull the camera closer to my character for better targeting. The amazing camera work is a big reason why I love the AC franchise.

I-Like-Pie45
07-17-2014, 05:03 AM

Do you see the botton thats shaped like - right next to the start button PS3

That and whatever the 360 equivalent are alters both on-foot and car camera

roostersrule2
07-17-2014, 07:24 AM
I really don't care but I like how in GTA it gives you a choice, I usually use the default anyway though.

travilanche
07-17-2014, 08:11 AM
What do you consider the camera angle in RDR? Because that camera was perfect! Just like everything else about that game!

roostersrule2
07-17-2014, 08:23 AM
RDR's camera was good except when you changed the camera angle by accident, I thought it was centred at first but then you'd put it over Johns left shoulder amd when you move it back you realise it's not centered anymore.

Minor gripe but still a lil annoying.

pacmanate
07-17-2014, 12:15 PM
My preferred FOV is:

1. Centered behind the protag, not slightly to the left or right
2. So I can see the whole character.

And @OP saying edwards was too close, Edward had the camera most furthest away in any AC game

GunnerGalactico
07-17-2014, 07:09 PM

^ This.

That is the only gripe I have with GOW. Sometimes the camera angle doesn't work in my favour.

SixKeys
07-17-2014, 08:47 PM
My preferred FOV is:

1. Centered behind the protag, not slightly to the left or right
2. So I can see the whole character.

^ This.

Locopells
07-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Me too.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-18-2014, 12:30 AM
The camera angle was terrible in arkham origins during the deathstroke fight, as if that fight wasn't hard enough!

Jexx21
07-18-2014, 01:04 AM
I thought Origin's Deathstroke fight was fine.