PDA

View Full Version : Altair's voice is NOT authentic in ACR

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 02:53 AM
This bugs me...no, REALLY bugs me...more than anything--people coming here and saying that Altair's voice in ACR is better because he has an accent...it's a cheap accent, I don't care that he sounds "authentic", it's not authentic..it's terrible and it sounds jarring...Cas Anvar had a fake accent and he can't pronounce a single Arabic word, okay?? This is not about opinions, it's a different story if you liked the voice but the accent and authenticity?? No, it's not an opinion anymore.

Shahbaz had more authenticity when he spoke with a fully american accent, at least he could actually pronounce Arabic...it's ABBAS, not AUBUSS..it's MALIK, not MALEEK. I really hope Ubisoft tries harder if they ever decide to revisit that location again, I mean....they spent a lot of money with the whole native american aspect of AC III and getting authentic Mohawk VAs so i'd hope they do the same if they ever revisit the region again

no disrespect to Cas, I just wasn't a fan of his work in ACR.

JustPlainQuirky
07-16-2014, 02:55 AM
To me an imperfect accent is better than one from the wrong region. Shows they tried.

But I already expressed my feelings of that in another thread.

I prefer Altair in Rev than Altair in AC1 due to how out of place AC1's Altair is.

Sure, Rev's might have sounded a tad out of place to Arabs, but it was alot more suited than full-blown American. To me anyway.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 02:58 AM
To me an imperfect accent is better than none at all. Shows they tried.
It's not imperfect, it's BAD, plain and simple..there's trying and then there's BAD, he's not even Arab.

I prefer Altair in Rev than Altair in AC1 due to out of place AC1's Altair is.
How was he out of place?? He was not out of place at all, he pronounced every Arabic he said perfectly, an accent would have been the thing that's out of place, which it was in ACR.

Sure, Rev's might have sounded a tad out of place to Arabs, but it was alot more suited than full-blown American. To me anyway.
Which is wrong, like I said...it's not an opinion anymore

And yes, it does boil down to opinion.
Nope, the voice does but not the accent..you're basically saying "i'm okay with being given a false interpretation of how Arabs speak, i'm okay with that, I don't care if it's wrong, i liked it"

JustPlainQuirky
07-16-2014, 02:59 AM
Whether or not a voice sounds more fitting to you as a player is opinion.

That's what I meant.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 03:02 AM
Whether or not a voice sounds more fitting to you as a player is opinion.

That's what I meant.
*Accent and fitting or not, if you think it's fitting, it's wrong...that particular opinion is wrong...I can say hey, I like this shoe...it fits *WHEN IT CLEARLY DOES NOT* that's not an opinion, it's just wrong..

you're encouraging the fake accent in later games if they ever plan to go to the middle east again

JustPlainQuirky
07-16-2014, 03:04 AM
*Accent and fitting or not, if you think it's fitting, it's wrong...that particular opinion is wrong...I can say hey, I like this shoe...it fits *WHEN IT CLEARLY DOES NOT* that's not an opinion, it's just wrong..

you're encouraging the fake accent in later games if they ever plan to go to the middle east again

In my opinion, I admit his accent is not perfect. But I prefer an accent that tries to be arabic rather than an american one because it shows the devs tried and it's not as immersion breaking for me.

Please respect it.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-16-2014, 03:05 AM
I also didn't like ACR Altair's voice too much. I prefer the one in AC1 by a long shot.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 03:08 AM
In my opinion, I admit his accent is not perfect. But I prefer an accent that tries to be arabic rather than an american one because it shows the devs tried and it's not as immersion breaking for me.

Please respect it.
So you'd prefer to be wrong then, okay I respect that..

JustPlainQuirky
07-16-2014, 03:09 AM
So you'd prefer to be wrong then, okay I respect that..

Much respect. Such polite. Wow.

Sorry for giving my honest opinion.

Xstantin
07-16-2014, 03:11 AM
General audience can rarely pick up "false" details of the accent if they're not familiar with it, majority of people bought Ezio's Spanitalian same probably happened to Altair in Rev.

Megas_Doux
07-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Interesting thread!!!!!

And I can assure you that Italian language got the exact same treatment, It was AWFUL and I hated it. That┤s why I rather have "plain" english than fake and cliche "just because" accents...

ACfan443
07-16-2014, 03:26 AM
I really disliked Anver's voice as well, the awful Mexican sounding accent only made ACR's Altair look like a contemptible, bastardised version of the original. The stoic, no-nonsense, 'badass' personality of his from AC1 seemed totally absent as a result of the change in VA.

EDIT: I really wish we could have heard Shahbaz's originally planned Arabic accent in AC1, don't understand why they didn't bring him back for ACR.

masterfenix2009
07-16-2014, 03:27 AM
To your shoe analogy M, to me that isn't quite right. Say, Altair is better with his American accent in AC1. To me that's like saying that shoe fits perfectly when its not a shoe its a pair of sandals. Sure in ACR the shoes may not fit, but I would still rather have the shoes that do not fit in the winter then have sandals and be freezing. Just like I would rather have an accent that isn't very good in a middle eastern setting then none at all.

Course, I might have a different perspective if I had to play a game with someone who wasn't an American trying to do an American accent for the whole game.

Megas_Doux
07-16-2014, 03:35 AM
To your shoe analogy M, to me that isn't quite right. Say, Altair is better with his American accent in AC1. To me that's like saying that shoe fits perfectly when its not a shoe its a pair of sandals. Sure in ACR the shoes may not fit, but I would still rather have the shoes that do not fit in the winter then have sandals and be freezing. Just like I would rather have an accent that isn't very good in a middle eastern setting then none at all.

Course, I might have a different perspective if I had to play a game with someone who wasn't an American trying to do an American accent for the whole game.

Let┤s have the an opposite scenario: A "realistic" game set in 1920┤s Chicago, the protagonist┤s name is Jonathan Miles ,he is what you would call a "common" american White Anglo-Saxon Protestant from those years. But he sounds like a hispanic trying to impersonate an american.....

What would you think????

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 03:43 AM

Well okay, try playing a game set in america with an american protagonist voiced by this person...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXU4e6fKEg0

Of course you wouldn't settle for a no fit rather shoe than a sandal in freezing winter, would you? you'd want a perfect shoe because that "trying" of the Japanese lady to speak English is horrible...

SixKeys
07-16-2014, 03:50 AM

Please respect it.

Why should he respect your opinion when you're disrespecting his culture?

"Well, I'm not Arabic and have no idea what an Arabic accent actually sounds like, so I'm going to completely dismiss the knowledge and understanding of an actual Arab in favor of what sounds Arabic to me."

Preferring one person's acting performance over another can be a matter of opinion, dismissing someone else's knowledge of their own culture and acting like you know better is rude as hell.

masterfenix2009
07-16-2014, 03:50 AM
Haven't actually heard a Hispanic person impersonate an American. Though I would probably be bothered by it, I would rather it be try to be American then just sound Hispanic. Though I am not saying it is a good option. If we could replace the voice actor who actually was Arabic and spoke it fluently, then I would love that.

This is how I see it.

Someone with a good fluent accent for the time period > someone with a bad accent > no accent that relates to the location, race and time period.

Above all though the voice actor has to be good at acting. I'd rather have a bad accent with a good actor then a good accent with a bad actor.

JustPlainQuirky
07-16-2014, 03:53 AM
Why should he respect your opinion when you're disrespecting his culture?

"Well, I'm not Arabic and have no idea what an Arabic accent actually sounds like, so I'm going to completely dismiss the knowledge and understanding of an actual Arab in favor of what sounds Arabic to me."

Preferring one person's acting performance over another can be a matter of opinion, dismissing someone else's knowledge of their own culture and acting like you know better is rude as hell.

I'm not dismissing anything. I'm not saying the accent IS accurate. Nor am I acting like I know better.

I'm simply stating that I prefer the ACR voice actor because of effort on the developer's part and immersion I have.

Sure, it would be better to have a more accurate arabic accent. But it's just a personal preference I have. I'm not saying it's wrong to prefer the AC1 voice actor. Just that I have every right to prefer the Revelations one.

SixKeys
07-16-2014, 03:57 AM
I'm really curious what y'all thought of M's example of a Japanese person trying to voice an American.

DumbGamerTag94
07-16-2014, 04:09 AM
Uhhhhhh I'm so sick of hearing about this. I really feel like nobody will ever agree on this. It always boils down the same.

Native English Speakers will overwhelmingly support accents

And non English as a first language people/foreigners/multi lingual people/immigrants. Will overwhelmingly be against it.

Thread solved. No need to go on. Conclusion reached once again!

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 04:12 AM
Just that I have every right to prefer the Revelations one.
No, you don't...that would just encourage Ubisoft not to bother with authentic voice acting if another game is set in that region, you'll set a standard that Ubisoft would be willing to follow, i simply cannot allow that, it's wrong.

I'd rather have a bad accent with a good actor then a good accent with a bad actor.
How'd you react to someone saying this to an american being voiced by a non-american doing a fake american accent and people are like "it sounds american to me"?

Like sixkeys, i'm curious to your reactions to the Japanse voicing an american..

Uhhhhhh I'm so sick of hearing about this. I really feel like nobody will ever agree on this. It always boils down the same.

Native English Speakers will overwhelmingly support accents

And non English as a first language people/foreigners/multi lingual people/immigrants. Will overwhelmingly be against it.

Thread solved. No need to go on. Conclusion reached once again!
They need to be shown their wrongs, that's how you teach someone, not leave them be thinking that their wrong is correct

Sonny18n
07-16-2014, 04:15 AM
Weird, I always thought a guy with a terrible Arabian accent was better than some dude speaking in straight American accent. If authenticity is anything to go on.

JustPlainQuirky
07-16-2014, 04:15 AM
No, you don't...that would just encourage Ubisoft not to bother with authentic voice acting if another game is set in that region, you'll set a standard that Ubisoft would be willing to follow, i simply cannot allow that, it's wrong.

I disagree. I do not think it would encourage that whatsover. But this is just boiling down to petty insults. I'm done attempting to express my opinion on this matter. I'll go 'be wrong' somewhere else.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2h6sxgj.gif

No hard feelings tho. Just agreeing to disagree.

@sonny

welcome to the forums :o

and boy did you pick the wrong thread to start with :rolleyes:

but i agree with you :p

Sesheenku
07-16-2014, 04:19 AM
I don't care what people say, I liked his American accent, didn't care it wasn't realistic, it sounded bad *** and indeed at least the pronunciations were correct.

Sonny18n
07-16-2014, 04:19 AM
I disagree. I do not think it would encourage that whatsover. But this is just boiling down to petty insults. I'm done attempting to express my opinion on this matter. I'll go 'be wrong' somewhere else.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2h6sxgj.gif

@sonny

welcome to the forums :o

and boy did you pick the wrong thread to start with :rolleyes:

but i agree with you :p

I was just looking for more discussion on Unity but this thread inspired me to make an account. Maybe I'll stay for a while though. Anyways, thanks man. The image verification is really weird though

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 04:22 AM
Weird, I always thought a guy with a terrible Arabian accent was better than some dude speaking in straight American accent. If authenticity is anything to go on.
Would an american dude with a terrible american accent be better than some dude speaking in straight non-american accent to you? Authenticity, if we're talking about authenticity, then English is NOT authentic...the whole concept of Arabs speaking english with each other at the time is not authentic so how on earth is engish WITH AN ACCENT more authentic than one with an american one?? they're BOTH FAKE but at least the guy speaking american is actually Arab and can pronounce arabic..

I'm not the one with hard feelings, I don't know why you're insulted at all...it's okay to be wrong...no, really, it's okay...I swear, if I came to you with inaccurate info about the American history, you'd be perfectly right in telling me that i'm wrong and i'd be okay with that..

LieutenantRex
07-16-2014, 04:24 AM
I'm curious. Does M really look like the guy in his avatar?

DumbGamerTag94
07-16-2014, 04:34 AM
Well as a native English speaker. I just find it odd that people get so hung up on this.

Ok so it doesn't sound Arabic or it doesn't sound Italian. Well how often do you all sit around speaking English to know what your respective cultures accents sound like when speaking english?

And most foreigners I speak to(and it's almost universal and I find it comical) claim they have no accent. Swear up and down even lol. Yet they have one and usually fairly noticeable. But they can't hear it because they have no idea.

I get being upset when they mispronounce actual words from the respective languages. But upset over the accents really?? I mean my uncle is an immigrant from Sicily and I think he sounds quite a bit like several of the characters in Ezio's trilogy. Because he is what an Italian speaking English sounds like. And I can understand why they would tweak the accent slightly to be less authentic because frankly sometimes it's kind of hard to understand unless your used to it. So they modify it slightly just to be more comprehensible to native English speakers.

It's just like if I was going to give someone an American accent in a French game. I wouldn't give him a full blown native Boston accent because the Frenchmen wouldn't understand him at all. So we would go with standard American and water it down to dry deliveries and monotone(which is what they did with Alta´rs voice btw and they did this with snake in the metal gear series, and a few other examples). They always give slow delivery with a gruff monotone voice so foreigners can understand them. And it's grating to my American ears. (Albeit AC3 was a marked improvement only because I assume most of the VAs were Americans and Canadians so they didn't have to worry).

So if I'm supposed to sit back and accept that as ok just cuz foreigners no nothing bout what we sound like. Then they can do the same for us. There is no need for a double standard here

I think we would all be much happier if they just found actors from the settings region and had them speak in English with their natural accents. So then everybody's happy. Although you couldn't water down the accents for the accent impaired(many people have a hard time understanding people with the slightest accents)

masterfenix2009
07-16-2014, 04:36 AM
Just to let you know, I am on your side that they should not get bad accents. But I also think giving no accent is also disrespectful.

For some reason this forum refuses to let me quote on my laptop so bear with me here.

(to the Japanese voicing an American) Would it bother me? Probably, yes. I dislike unnecessary inaccurate portrayals as much as the next person. Would it bother or offend me as much as others? Probably not, as I don't let my race, culture, or sex define me(I don't think that it is wrong that others do BTW). But since others do we have to respect that and give fitting voices that are also good actors.

If a Japanese actor had a terrible American accent but was actually a good actor, I would sure as hell prefer it over a dull American actor with the a good accent. Though the RIGHT thing to do is get a person that fits the race and accent and is a good actor.

Dome500
07-16-2014, 04:48 AM
Definitely liked the AC1 Altair more.
The arabic words were pronounced very well. Loved how he said "Madrasah Al-Kallasah". :D

Accents are just bad. I mean, sure, the Italian accent of Ezio is an exception but in 80% of the cases accents do the actual way the people speak in those regions no justice. If you want to convey an experience then build in words of the native language (spoken correctly) and leave the rest of the language normal. No accents. Especially not strong accents. And even more especially so if you did it differently in a previous game.

Sonny18n
07-16-2014, 04:53 AM
[QUOTE=Assassin_M;10101326]Would an american dude with a terrible american accent be better than some dude speaking in straight non-american accent to you? Authenticity, if we're talking about authenticity, then English is NOT authentic...the whole concept of Arabs speaking english with each other at the time is not authentic so how on earth is engish WITH AN ACCENT more authentic than one with an american one?? they're BOTH FAKE but at least the guy speaking american is actually Arab and can pronounce arabic..

Authenticity is the name of your game is it not? If were comparing between the performances in AC1 and ACR then your issue is with the fact that there are terrible pronunciations in Rev. I'm no historian but I think an American accent is far from what it was like in that time. I'm not even sure what an ancient Arabian accent would sound like.

So here we have multiple stages of authenticity. Truly spoken Arabic, English w/ Arabian accent, modern american English that's got some great Arabian nicks according to you. I wasn't fooled by what happened in AC1 but I was in ACR. If you're saying that Altair's accent was done wrong in ACR then so was everyone else. But at the very least it was consistent which I would value more than one American speaker. In terms of Authenticity, the bad accent was the one that was constantly hitting what it was actually like even if it failed. While the performance in AC1 was a constant reminder of how Altair was American (which didn't even exist at the time) even though that was his homeland. For these reasons I find what happened in AC1 less authentic than the one in ACR

goob0t
07-16-2014, 04:58 AM
Personality I think they should have kept it the same as AC1, once you have something just stick to it. Im sure it confused the hell out of lots of players why he sounded different and even the more causal ones may not have even realized it was the same person. It would be like changing Master chiefs voice. I mean people should have just gotten over it.

Megas_Doux
07-16-2014, 05:09 AM
Definitely liked the AC1 Altair more.

Accents are just bad. I mean, sure, the Italian accent of Ezio is an exception but in 80% of the cases accents do the actual way the people speak in those regions no justice. If you want to convey an experience then build in words of the native language (spoken correctly) and leave the rest of the language normal. No accents. Especially not strong accents. And even more especially so if you did it differently in a previous game.

Well as a native English speaker. I just find it odd that people get so hung up on this.

I mean my uncle is an immigrant from Sicily and I think he sounds quite a bit like several of the characters in Ezio's trilogy. Because he is what an Italian speaking English sounds like. And I can understand why they would tweak the accent slightly to be less authentic because frankly sometimes it's kind of hard to understand unless your used to it. So they modify it slightly just to be more comprehensible to native English speakers.

I

Ezio┤s "italian" is FAR from doing justice......

This is italian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8nECEsUq6g

Not that "thing" heard in Ezio┤s trilogy

I-Like-Pie45
07-16-2014, 05:13 AM
M, are you really Phillip Shahbaz

Namikaze_17
07-16-2014, 05:21 AM
@M. Does this has something to do with my Aveline Thread? Because I only used Altair as an example to how I want Aveline's voice changed. I personally like his AC1 voice more than ACR voice anyway. I didn't to say that the voice was better of any sort nor start a debate, just that I prefered both over Aveline's. I also liked Connor's and the Native Americans voice acting as it was really authentic and fluent.

Jexx21
07-16-2014, 05:21 AM
that girl is pretty

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-16-2014, 05:32 AM
You know who's also had an authentic voice, even though he played a very short role in AC3?

... Admiral de Grasse, Lafayette's buddy :)

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 05:33 AM
Authenticity is the name of your game is it not? If were comparing between the performances in AC1 and ACR then your issue is with the fact that there are terrible pronunciations in Rev. I'm no historian but I think an American accent is far from what it was like in that time. I'm not even sure what an ancient Arabian accent would sound like.
An american accent is just as far as the fake accent in ACR from reality, like I said...English is a LACK of authenticity BUT an explanation in AC I was that the animus was doing what is happening in ACU, it's translating Arabic into english because the whole accent thing was silly as hell...these people did NOT speak English, an accent synonyms with the region IS what's out of place...They're both fake accents, my problem is with people taking one fake accent over the other and saying "it's authentic"

If you're saying that Altair's accent was done wrong in ACR then so was everyone else. But at the very least it was consistent which I would value more than one American speaker. In terms of Authenticity, the bad accent was the one that was constantly hitting what it was actually like even if it failed. While the performance in AC1 was a constant reminder of how Altair was American (which didn't even exist at the time) even though that was his homeland. For these reasons I find what happened in AC1 less authentic than the one in ACR
I don't know about everyone, i'm talking from what I perceive as a BAD representation of how an Arab speaks and yes, if an Italian tells me that Ezio's accent and pronunciation of Italian sucks, then I wont say "oh but it's more authentic" because no, it's not authentic.
You don't get it, you're saying an american accent sounds out of place and is not based in reality but so is the other accent, it's as far from reality as the american accent...you people are preferring one fake over the other when they're both just as unauthentic BUT, the guy who did the american accent was an Arab and he could actually pronounce arabic without sounding awkward.

you're saying that american accent did not exist at the time, i'm telling you neither did ACR's fake accent...do you see the flaw in the logic here?

shobhit7777777
07-16-2014, 05:35 AM
Accented English breaks immersion

Its like they KNOW their own language but chose to speak English and therefore do so with accents. With "neutral" accents one can imagine them speaking their native tongue but without suffering through poor pronunciation.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 05:35 AM
@M. Does this has something to do with my Aveline Thread? Because I only used Altair as an example to how I want Aveline's voice changed. I personally like his AC1 voice more than ACR voice anyway. I didn't to say that the voice was better of any sort nor start a debate, just that I prefered both over Aveline's. I also liked Connor's and the Native Americans voice acting as it was really authentic and fluent.
It kind of was, I just don't get it when people have 2 fake accents for an arab but prefer one over the other because it's more "authentic"...Arabs are the one who's supposed to say what is and what's not authentic, just as an italian is supposed to say what's authentic and what's not with Ezio...etc.

No hate towards anybody, you can prefer the voice, just not the accent...(not referring to you, just speaking in general)don't prefer a fake accent over the other and come tell me it's opinion and that it's authentic, no it's not

HDinHB
07-16-2014, 05:36 AM
that girl is pretty

I love Giada with her giant head! Her grandfather was Dino De Laurentiis (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0209569/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm), the prolific movie producer.

Interesting the clip was an Italian program about Italian American cooking shows. I wonder how the accents compared.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 05:37 AM

Its like they KNOW their own language but chose to speak English and therefore do so with accents. With "neutral" accents one can imagine them speaking their native tongue but without suffering through poor pronunciation.
EXACTLY, these people are NOT speaking english..if they were, i'd have understood the accent but they're not so an accent just breaks the immersion more and is actually LESS authentic.

Megas_Doux
07-16-2014, 05:39 AM

THIS!!!!

And I will say it again,the whole accent thing it┤s been dumb to begin with!!!! I have seen 4590384590380 movies and tv series set in non english speaking times and places in which NODOBY has accent to indicate they are from that place!!!!!

Does anyone have some "accent "in Gladiator, 300, The Main in the Iron Mask, Ben Hur, Vikings,The Borgias, etc etc etc...NO!!!!!!!

HDinHB
07-16-2014, 06:03 AM
It kind of was, I just don't get it when people have 2 fake accents for an arab but prefer one over the other because it's more "authentic"...Arabs are the one who's supposed to say what is and what's not authentic, just as an italian is supposed to say what's authentic and what's not with Ezio...etc.

No hate towards anybody, you can prefer the voice, just not the accent...(not referring to you, just speaking in general)don't prefer a fake accent over the other and come tell me it's opinion and that it's authentic, no it's not

"Authentic" isn't the right term, because none of the accents are authentic, certainly none of the pre-18th century ones. It was weird to hear Alta´r speaking in a corn-fed Nebraska accent, especially when other characters didn't. I would have preferred he sounded different. I agree with 'you people shouldn't prefer an accent because it's "more authentic" when it isn't, but I do think they can prefer one accent over another just because they do prefer it. And I don't have to tell you that you are certainly entitled to point out accents that are inauthentic or offensive. I don't think Ubi tries to pick offensive accents, but I did laugh at the guy in Florence that sounded like he was from the Jersey Shore, and Hickey's accent fit perfectly.

THIS!!!!

And I will say it again,the whole accent thing it┤s been dumb to begin with!!!! I have seen 4590384590380 movies and tv series set in non english speaking times and places in which NODOBY has accent to indicate they are from that place!!!!!

Does anyone have some "accent "in Gladiator, 300, The Main in the Iron Mask, Ben Hur, Vikings,The Borgias, etc etc etc...NO!!!!!!!

I think you're right about the Iron Mask, and I haven't seen Ben Hur in forever, but all of the others do have accents--and many of them are fake.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 06:14 AM
"Authentic" isn't the right term, because none of the accents are authentic, certainly none of the pre-18th century ones. It was weird to hear Alta´r speaking in a corn-fed Nebraska accent, especially when other characters didn't. I would have preferred he sounded different. I agree with 'you people shouldn't prefer an accent because it's "more authentic" when it isn't, but I do think they can prefer one accent over another just because they do prefer it. And I don't have to tell you that you are certainly entitled to point out accents that are inauthentic or offensive.
It was weird to hear Altair speak as a confused Mexican in ACR, I can tell you that and they did explain why others had an accent (which I STILL think is dumb as hell) it's because Altair was more important to the memories, so his speech was the one "translated" best...I still cringe, even explaining it to myself...of course they can prefer accents, I can also tell them that they're wrong.

This is what can offend me...telling people that the accent is wrong and pronunciation of lots of phrases is wrong and then they tell me "no care, i like" or "no care, i think it's authentic" how is this possible?? I'm an Arab telling you the supposedly arab accent in ACR is NOT authentic, how can someone brush that aside? *Historically accurate game with 18th century European clothing in 12th century Damascus* <----- (example) I say that this is not accurate then others come and say "no care, I like" it's the same case...it's wrong

Namikaze_17
07-16-2014, 06:24 AM

Well I guess we can agree to disagree......I understand what you're saying about the accents though. I just don't want this to turn into an argument of some sort.

Jexx21
07-16-2014, 06:30 AM
what about the Arab accents in AC1?

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 06:43 AM
what about the Arab accents in AC1?
Malik's was pretty authentic, probably the most authentic since he's Lebanese..
Abbas sucked because Nolan North can't do an Arab accent.
Al-Mualim didn't have an Arab accent, it sounded closer to some form of British..
Tamir's was authentic too
Talal's was as contrived as Nolan's Abbas
Jubair is the same above
Aboulnoqood is the same as above
Majd-addin was the only one voiced by a non-arab who was slightly better than the others who were voiced by non-arabs.

I would also like to point out a gem in ACR, the guy who was talking about Abbas around the camp fire...the "he is our mentor" guy...he sounded TONS better than ANY of the others sitting there in that scene, including Altair...ESPECIALLY Altair, I would have preferred if he had voiced Altair instead..

this guy
http://i.gyazo.com/0436583ed69ea5516b272b968ad379c3.png

Jexx21
07-16-2014, 06:58 AM
so in other words, AC1 had 2 good accents, 1 average accent, 4 bad accents, and 2 accents that weren't trying to be Arabian (Altair and Al Mualim)

wait, what about the Rafiqs? I won't count the Assassins who gave you side missions but the rafiqs count imo.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 07:05 AM
wait, what about the Rafiqs? I won't count the Assassins who gave you side missions but the rafiqs count imo.
The Damscus Rafiq used the exact same accent he used with Leonardo Da Vinici, so he wasn't really trying to be an Arab..
I talked about Malik
Jabal (Acre's Rafiq) did not use an Arab accent either, sounded like Al-Mualim's accent.

Jexx21
07-16-2014, 07:09 AM
so that's 4 accents that weren't trying to be Arab.

not a good ratio either

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 07:11 AM
so that's 4 accents that weren't trying to be Arab.

not a good ratio either
What ratio?

HDinHB
07-16-2014, 07:27 AM
On the clothing thing, I have to disagree with you. I like Lancelot to wear shining plate armor and swing a big steel sword. "But they didn't have plate armor in King Arthur's time." "King Arthur didn't even exist." So it's not accurate...and I don't care. If it was a documentary claiming to be factual that would be a different story, but it's not. Does AC even claim it is completely historically accurate? Did they ever? It is surprisingly accurate in a lot of ways, but not so much in others. I know they claimed that every major target was a real historic figure who was assassinated on the day he really died, but they even screwed that up in AC4. And architecturally, they have often taken liberties, added or deleting buildings (St. Paul's, the Florentine Baptistry). [Good call added the former, bad call deleting the latter.] So it's historical fiction, and they will sacrifice history when it gets in the way of fiction, just as pretty much every entertainment medium always has.

On the accent issue, I hear you (and if you want to talk about a confused Mexican, the drunken Spanish captain in Liberation was borderline racist...I can only guess they got so little flak because it wasn't a mainstream release), but I honestly couldn't pick out an "authentic" Arabic accent from a fake one. I have known Arabs, Palestinians, Persians, Egyptians, Turks, Filipinos, Latinos, Southeast Asians, South Asians, Kiwis, Ozzies, South Africans, Brits, Irish, Canadians and more, and all of them have accents, even after being in the US for years or decades. But I couldn't begin to tell you whose accent was more "authentic." None of them sound like they were born in Iowa.

Hearing might be like vision. You can tell a color blind guy his green shirt doesn't match his red pants, but they all look gray to him. Most of us can't hear the differences you hear so clearly. All we can really do is hope Ubi continues to make improvements in this area, subject to time and budget constraints, like they did in AC3 (I have seen complaints that Connor's Mohawk accent isn't authentic, so it might be a no-win situation). And all you can really do, if you have the patience, is educate the rest of us, and tell us to change our pants.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 07:36 AM
On the clothing thing, I have to disagree with you. I like Lancelot to wear shining plate armor and swing a big steel sword. "But they didn't have plate armor in King Arthur's time." "King Arthur didn't even exist." So it's not accurate...and I don't care. If it was a documentary claiming to be factual that would be a different story, but it's not. Does AC even claim it is completely historically accurate? Did they ever? It is surprisingly accurate in a lot of ways, but not so much in others. I know they claimed that every major target was a real historic figure who was assassinated on the day he really died, but they even screwed that up in AC4. And architecturally, they have often taken liberties, added or deleting buildings (St. Paul's, the Florentine Baptistry). [Good call added the former, bad call deleting the latter.] So it's historical fiction, and they will sacrifice history when it gets in the way of fiction, just as pretty much every entertainment medium always has.
My example was aimed at a historically accurate game, not AC...my example was supposed to draw a comparison between the 2 issues. People say that it's okay to prefer a fake accent over another fake accent, well then it'd be okay for people to say that about a historically accurate game (not AC) that is set in 12th century Damascus with people wearing 18th century European clothing.

On the accent issue, I hear you (and if you want to talk about a confused Mexican, the drunken Spanish captain in Liberation was borderline racist...I can only guess they got so little flak because it wasn't a mainstream release), but I honestly couldn't pick out an "authentic" Arabic accent from a fake one. I have known Arabs, Palestinians, Persians, Egyptians, Turks, Filipinos, Latinos, Southeast Asians, South Asians, Kiwis, Ozzies, South Africans, Brits, Irish, Canadians and more, and all of them have accents, even after being in the US for years or decades. But I couldn't begin to tell you whose accent was more "authentic." None of them sound like they were born in Iowa.
Well, it's not REALLY offensive to me nor do I consider it racist, that's not my problem at all. My issue is in people accepting a fake accent because they THINK it's Arab when it's not--moreover--they prefer that fake accent over ANOTHER fake accent, which makes it more confusing.

Hearing might be like vision. You can tell a color blind guy his green shirt doesn't match his red pants, but they all look gray to him. Most of us can't hear the differences you hear so clearly. All we can really do is hope Ubi continues to make improvements in this area, subject to time and budget constraints, like they did in AC3 (I have seen complaints that Connor's Mohawk accent isn't authentic, so it might be a no-win situation). And all you can really do, if you have the patience, is educate the rest of us, and tell us to change our pants.
I realize that, that's what my whole thread was about, really...I realize that people THINK it's an Arab accent and that the differences would not be obvious to them but what I don't like is people telling me "No, I like the wrong, I don't care" and so people got really offended and insulted because i'm telling them that they're wrong to prefer one fake accent over the other when I didn't really insult anyone nor offend anyone.
I would gladly have the patience to do that. I love it when someone starts a thread about what Altair is saying in AC I in Arabic so i can translate...

HDinHB
07-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Malik's was pretty authentic, probably the most authentic since he's Lebanese..

Great! I think Malik was my favorite character in AC1.

Legendz54
07-16-2014, 07:55 AM
ello mai neme is Alibaba end i haf de beard dat tickles.

HDinHB
07-16-2014, 08:24 AM
My issue is in people accepting a fake accent because they THINK it's Arab when it's not--moreover--they prefer that fake accent over ANOTHER fake accent, which makes it more confusing.
I guess I would just say I prefer the fake accent that doesn't sound like my neighbor to the fake accent that does---the generically "foreign" accent to a generically American one. It's less fake, if that makes sense. We'll see how ACU feels. I still think a natural accent would be better than a British one, with an occasional stereotypical French one thrown in for LOLZ would be great ("M'sieur would care for some cheese with his whine"). But I think Ubi actually does a pretty good job with this considering all the constraints. Always room for improvement.

I realize that, that's what my whole thread was about, really...I realize that people THINK it's an Arab accent and that the differences would not be obvious to them but what I don't like is people telling me "No, I like the wrong, I don't care" and so people got really offended and insulted because i'm telling them that they're wrong to prefer one fake accent over the other when I didn't really insult anyone nor offend anyone.
You might not be aware that you have a strong personality, at least here on the forum, and some might take your posts as confrontational. They might misinterpret what you're saying as "How dare you enjoy this game?" even though that's not what you mean. Most of us are here because we really like these games, warts and all. Hopefully Ubi will continue to make improvements, even if they make some mistakes along the way.

I would gladly have the patience to do that. I love it when someone starts a thread about what Altair is saying in AC I in Arabic so i can translate...
I haven't played AC1 in years. I'm so far behind on games I haven't played I don't get to replay anything, The only game I've played twice is AC2, and that's only because someone stole my PS3 when I was 90% finished. ****ers. All those damn feathers. Gaaaaaaaah!

HDinHB
07-16-2014, 08:26 AM
ello mai neme is Alibaba end i haf de beard dat tickles.

Eez zat Frainch?

Tenvern
07-16-2014, 08:57 AM
I honestly prefer having a plain accent like a british or american accent more than trying to replicate the accent common in that area.
The truth is not all people from countries that have a first language that isn't english have accents.
It's in my opinion more important to try to get the pronounciation of the language right than trying to capture some stereotypical accent.

I for example speak Norwegian as my first language, but when I speak english I tend to switch between a british or an american accent, depending on who I'm speaking to.

steveeire
07-16-2014, 09:04 AM
having a bad accent is better than having an accent from a country that is not the one the character is supposed to be from.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 10:36 AM
having a bad accent is better than having an accent from a country that is not the one the character is supposed to be from.
No it's not, the characters are NOT speaking English to each other, the presence of an accent is irrelevant and immersion breaking, also..if that's the case, Altair is not Mexican--which what his fake Arab accent sounded like--So which accent are you referring to? because i'm pretty sure neither are from the country that Altair is supposedly from..

steveeire
07-16-2014, 10:53 AM
didn't sound Mexican to me, and I find it more immersive with accents. tbh I could even deal with a tv American accent rather than a thick English accent for ACU, a French man having an English accent just seems wrong.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 10:55 AM
didn't sound Mexican to me, and I find it more immersive with accents.
Because you think it's Arabic, it's not...that's what you think Arabs speak like, it's not..it's as fake as the American accent, it's just as from another country as the american accent.

They're not speaking English, how is it more immersive with accents?

Legendz54
07-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Altairs accent in ACR was just unnecessary, It got rid of any nostalgia I had for Altair from the first game.

steveeire
07-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Because it is easier to meta game that they are not speaking English with accents, how is this confusing?

Altairs accent in ACR was just unnecessary, It got rid of any nostalgia I had for Altair from the for game.

pfft it was one of the better choices in ACR.

Legendz54
07-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Because it is easier to meta game that they are not speaking English with accents, how is this confusing?

but.... but he sounded so DUMB! and stewped. It sounded like a totally different person.. like they forgot who Altair used to be from the first game :(

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 11:00 AM
They're not speaking English and their accents are from somewhere else, it's not confusing, i'm explaining how you're wrong--you're the confused one

Nope

steveeire
07-16-2014, 11:02 AM
They're not speaking English and their accents are from somewhere else, it's not confusing, i'm explaining how you're wrong.

Nope
But I'm not wrong, I enjoy it more when they have accents, Altair having none in AC1 broke the immersion for me. I remember playing through AC1 and the whole time thinking to myself he doesn't sound like hes from there, and I wasn't the only one I remember reading everywhere that he should have had an accent there where articles on ign about it and everything, it was such a big deal for people that they gave Ezio one.

Legendz54
07-16-2014, 11:04 AM
But I'm not wrong, I enjoy it more when they have accents, Altair having none in AC1 broke the immersion for me.

Then you will not be immersed in AC unity sadly.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 11:06 AM
But I'm not wrong, I enjoy it more when they have accents, Altair having none in AC1 broke the immersion for me.
Altair HAD an accent in AC I, an american one...he also had an accent in ACR, a fake one which I don't know what it is but it's certainly not Arab...you're preferring a fake accent to another with the excuse that the earlier is from a part of the world that's not the Protagonist's, well i'm telling you neither is the latter...Both are fake accents, both are not Arab BUT the earlier is actually performed by an Arab who can actually pronounce Arabic..

you're wrong in thinking that a fake accent is more immersive than another fake accent.

steveeire
07-16-2014, 11:11 AM
How is it wrong to find one the more enjoyable then the other, and I'm not the only one who thinks that way when AC1 came out there where articles all over the place about how Altair should have had an accent, and it such an impact that when they made AC2 they gave Ezio one and when they made ACR the got around to giving Altair one. Altair sounds Arabic too me.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Altair sounds Arabic too me.
Which is wrong, this is wrong...that's what i'm talking about, an Arab is telling you that he DOESN'T sound Arabic, you can, of course, choose to be wrong and continue to tell yourself that he sounds Arabic to you.

It's wrong to think that a fake accent sounds Arabic when it really doesn't.

steveeire
07-16-2014, 11:24 AM
listen he sounds Arabic to me, in the same way an non Irish actor tries to do an Irish accent and you'd think that what an Irish person sounds like, but to me it sounds as if the actor is just butchering my accent.

Tully__
07-16-2014, 11:35 AM
You ought to hear the horrendous productions that have been alleged as "genuine" Australian over the years.

What I'm getting is that steve likes the ambience provide by an accent, allbeit fake but Assassin_M finds it at the very least irritating because his ears are accustomed to "true" Arabic accents (though I'd be prepared to make a small wager that there are as many Arabic accents as there are English). Let's leave that part of this discussion at that.... :)

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 11:35 AM
but to me it sounds as if the actor is just butchering my accent.
Now imagine me coming along and telling you, an Irishman, he sounds Irish to me, man...I'd be wrong and you'd tell me that i'm wrong..

I'd be prepared to make a small wager that there are as many Arabic accents as there are English). Let's leave that part of this discussion at that.... :)
Honestly? I'd disagree, i'v heard lots of Arabic accents while speaking English, while there is not a single Arabic accent, there's WAY less than there is for English and Altair's accent in ACR does not really sound like a Syrian Arab's accent.

Tully__
07-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Perhaps they'd have been better doing the accents with the approach used for the English characters speaking French in the British sitcom Allo, allo.....though that would no doubt annoy some just as much.

Megas_Doux
07-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Nope.........

By your logic EVERY movie set in any non english speaking era that does not have accent is immersion breaking huh???
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FsqJFIJ5lLs

Too bad Russell does not have any "strange" accent there....

To me the whole "let"s have a goofy just because accent" was dumb to begin with.....

frodrigues55
07-16-2014, 12:07 PM
It adds to the immersion, period.

Most of us are not arabs, do not speak the language nor give a crap about the nuances between a fake and a real accent. It's similar to anyone who doesn't speak the language, hence why it feels authentic. People do not care if it's super accurate or not, as long as it does it job in getting the message through. You might be right that it's not really authentic, but you are wrong if you think this will stop people from saying the fake accent in ACR is worse than no accent in AC1. It's not the same thing regardless of how you feel about it. You'd be better off trying to deal with other people's opinions.

Locopells
07-16-2014, 12:17 PM
This kinda thing is why they're just doing English accents in Unity, rather than have people complain that their French accents are crap.

The point with ACI vs ACR is that in ACI, Altair is the ONLY person with no regional sounding (of whatever accuracy or quality) accent, which is why he stands out, and why a lot of people prefer the ACR version. Sure it may be inaccurate, but it fits with the other accents (to an untrained ear - including me).

It IS however down to personal opinion as to how much this bothers you. I personally just have a good laugh at the number of lousy attempts at a 'British' accent (especially since, as with all countries, there's no such thing) in US TV, and don't let it bother me. However I respect the opinion of people who do.

And while we're on the subject, can we get a little more respect from some of the posters in this thread, please? Flat out telling people they're wrong, just because you disagree is NOT a good thing for forum harmony.

*removes moderator hat*

Personally I don't see the need for accents, when everyone is speaking the same language. Although I'll be intrigued to see what happens if an actual English guy shows in in Unity...

Kirokill
07-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Altair'a accent in ACR was not Arabic, I can tell that.
But I liked his voice more than his on AC1, not accent wise. But I'm not the type to care that much about things. However if they ever revisit, I'd agree with them trying to find correct accents. And it will bother me no doubt in Unity for them not to speak in a French accent.

LoyalACFan
07-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Yeah, the accent itself was bad. Really bad. I have a Lebanese uncle who speaks fluent Arabic and laughed at it. However, it was still a step up from the AC1 one IMO, because trying and failing to sound Arabic is better than trying and failing to sound "hardcore" or "stoic" like in AC1. I hated Altair's voice in the first game. If they had let Shahbaz use his real Arabic accent, who knows how it could have turned out, but as it was I couldn't stand it. Anvar's performance, despite the awful accent, felt more like an actual character IMO. He lent some shades of depth to Altair that Shahbaz didn't.

Put it this way, I can picture Anvar's Altair reading the Codex and sounding badass, while Shahbaz's Altair would sound like a guy practicing lines in a play out of character.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 12:39 PM
And while we're on the subject, can we get a little more respect from some of the posters in this thread, please? Flat out telling people they're wrong, just because you disagree is NOT a good thing for forum harmony.
How is telling someone they're wrong when they ARE wrong, disrespectful? People shouldn't be so stingy and sensitive, it's not my fault...people can be told that they're wrong and they're supposed to be mature adults and be fine with it--You, Loco...if you got a fact wrong, say the date of the proclamation of american independence, would you be insulted or offended if someone tells you that you're wrong?

It adds to the immersion, period.

Most of us are not arabs, do not speak the language nor give a crap about the nuances between a fake and a real accent. It's similar to anyone who doesn't speak the language, hence why it feels authentic. People do not care if it's super accurate or not, as long as it does it job in getting the message through. You might be right that it's not really authentic, but you are wrong if you think this will stop people from saying the fake accent in ACR is worse than no accent in AC1. It's not the same thing regardless of how you feel about it. You'd be better off trying to deal with other people's opinions.
I'm sorry, I don't care that most of you are not Arabs nor speak the language, Ubisoft is an international company that makes games for everyone around the world, they chose a setting where people WHO PLAY THEIR GAMES would be from. I don't care if most of you are not Arabs, I don't care that you think it's an Arab accent...it's not and you should just accept the fact that you're fine with a fake, wrong accent...it SHOULD stop people from saying the accent in ACR is authentic, i mean..it's one thing to be wrong and be willing to get educated but be wrong and stay wrong??

I don't understand, this is very confusing...i'm an Arab, telling people that ACR's Altair does not sound Arab and people should stop calling it authentic but i get people telling me "no, it's authentic to me, i like i like" what?

Geearsh, this is like telling someone from Chicago who thinks the NPCs in watch dogs don't sound very Chicago-ey because hey, I like it...

Farlander1991
07-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Honestly, I really don't have anything against Anvar's voice, and I prefer it to AC1's Altair, but if M says it's not authentic, then it's not authentic.

This won't stop me from liking it (unless I learn fluent arabic and spend lots of time among pure arabs to get a grasp of the language and the accents), and I don't see why it should stop anyone else either. This only means that 'authenticity' is not a valid argument in favour of Anvar over Shahbaz.

I don't think we should dismiss any authenticity criticism just because we like it in our minds, because, ultimately, this kind of criticism may serve to make the series we all love and play better. For example, sure, it doesn't really matter for most of us that Ibn-La'Ahad was used like a family name is used in western countries (though I'm not sure, I think it's the novel that's responsible for that?), but it's not authentic in the least and we shouldn't dismiss authenticity criticism against that just because we don't have a problem with it.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Honestly, I really don't have anything against Anvar's voice, and I prefer it to AC1's Altair, but if M says it's not authentic, then it's not authentic.

This won't stop me from liking it (unless I learn fluent arabic and spend lots of time among pure arabs to get a grasp of the language and the accents), and I don't see why it should stop anyone else either. This only means that 'authenticity' is not a valid argument in favour of Anvar over Shahbaz.

I don't think we should dismiss any authenticity criticism just because we like it in our minds, because, ultimately, this kind of criticism may serve to make the series we all love and play better. For example, sure, it doesn't really matter for most of us that Ibn-La'Ahad was used like a family name is used in western countries (though I'm not sure, I think it's the novel that's responsible for that? *and the ACR database), but it's not authentic in the least and we shouldn't dismiss authenticity criticism against that just because we don't have a problem with it.
YES, thank you...if an Arab is saying it's NOT authentic, then it's not authentic, same goes for every other accent in the series--it's for the better so that the games would have more authenticity..it only makes the games more accurate.

Layytez
07-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Who is claiming facts here to be called wrong on ? If the accents bring immersion for them that is THEIR opinion and YOU cannot tell them they are wrong for having it. I prefer having accents that has some relevance to the country of origin, I am wrong for wanting so ?

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 01:12 PM
I prefer having accents that has some relevance to the country of origin, I am wrong for wanting so ?
If you think that a Mexican accent has relevance to a middle eastern country, then yes yes you are...

you people don't understand what i'm trying to say, it's not an Arab accent--the one in ACR--I didn't say there's anything wrong with WANTING accents, that's all of your opinions, none of my business--what i'm claiming to be wrong here is the clamor over Altair's accent in ACR...it's not Arab thus saying it has relevance to the country of origin..etc is what's wrong

roostersrule2
07-16-2014, 01:12 PM
ACR Altair performance was the greatest of all time, everytime he spoke I shed a tear of how amazing it was, I also clapped so uncontrollably that I had a seizure.

It is up there with the "I hope they let us go inside" guy.

pacmanate
07-16-2014, 01:22 PM
ACR Altair performance was the greatest of all time, everytime he spoke I shed a tear of how amazing it was, I also clapped so uncontrollably that I had a seizure.

It is up there with the "I hope they let us go inside" guy.

Smart :p

I preferred AC1 american voice and I will just pretend it was like that cause it was Desmond's "First time" so to speak. Hence American accent and his own face projection.

ORRRRRR the animus didn't have the Arabic voice converter or whatever.

Layytez
07-16-2014, 01:27 PM
If you think that a Mexican accent has relevance to a middle eastern country, then yes yes you are...

you people don't understand what i'm trying to say, it's not an Arab accent--the one in ACR--I didn't say there's anything wrong with WANTING accents, that's all of your opinions, none of my business--what i'm claiming to be wrong here is the clamor over Altair's accent in ACR...it's not Arab thus saying it has relevance to the country of origin..etc is what's wrong

So basically you wish they used a better voice actor ?

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 01:31 PM
So basically you wish they used a better voice actor ?
Anvar is not bad by any means, I just thought they should have brought Shahbaz back...an actual Arab with better skill than Anvar imo because even when Shahbaz talked American, he pronounced Arabic correctly...the names, the places..etc and that really captures the authenticity and feel of the setting.

Locopells
07-16-2014, 01:34 PM
How is telling someone they're wrong when they ARE wrong, disrespectful? People shouldn't be so stingy and sensitive, it's not my fault...people can be told that they're wrong and they're supposed to be mature adults and be fine with it--You, Loco...if you got a fact wrong, say the date of the proclamation of american independence, would you be insulted or offended if someone tells you that you're wrong?

I wasn't singling you out specifically, but since you asked...

Which is wrong, like I said...it's not an opinion anymore

Method, is the key. A little gentleness wouldn't hurt.

You might well be right (I'm talking generically here, not about this specific issue) but people are still allowed to think differently.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 01:38 PM
I wasn't singling you out specifically, but since you asked...
Oh come now, who else said anyone was wrong but me? :p

Method, is the key. A little gentleness wouldn't hurt.

You might well be right (I'm talking generically here, not about this specific issue) but people are still allowed to think differently.
Okay okay, fine i see your point. I'll be gentle.

ACfan443
07-16-2014, 02:21 PM
On a slightly unrelated note, one thing I don't understand is why was Roger Craig Smith appointed to voice Ezio when it involved all the hassle of familiarising him with the language and pronunciation (which according to the dialect experts was poorly executed anyway), when casting a bilingual native Italian VA would have: a) been easier and less time consuming (presumably) b) resulted in a superior, more authentic voice performance? (Applies to the majority of the cast).

Shahkulu101
07-16-2014, 02:23 PM
It's an accent.

Get over it.

AC3 and 4 have hilariously bad and stereotypical Scottish accents - who gives a toss.

Cas Anvar's performance was bad because it didn't fit Altair's character. Ezio's was awesome despite his poor accent.

I now agree that foreign accents don't make sense, now let's all move on.

ACfan443
07-16-2014, 02:29 PM

I still like them in all honesty - so long as they're executed by a native speaker of the language.

Shahkulu101
07-16-2014, 02:57 PM
I still like them in all honesty - so long as they're executed by a native speaker of the language.

Sure, I don't mind either way, but that doesn't mean they make more sense.

DumbGamerTag94
07-16-2014, 03:03 PM
I love how everyone praises Alta´rs voice from AC1. That had to be one of the most annoying voices ever to me. He's supposed to sound American I guess(which didn't exist at the time why they didn't use British is beyond me). But he sounds like a damn computer. Everything is monotone he's speaking far too slow and trying wayyyyy to hard to sound monotone and gruff like some kind of 80s action hero(hmmmm perhaps that's why foreigners think that sounds good since they are saturated with all of our ****ty acted action movies from 20-30 years ago??). That performance reminded me of Japanese people doing their best American to dub a show for the US. It was painful. Don't call it good. It just wasn't "it's not even an opinion thing anymore or open for discussion you're just WRONG". Seriously. Alta´r from AC1 and Snake/Big Boss from Metal Gear(pre Ground Zeroes) are not what an American accent sounds like. And you don't see us freaking out every 5 minutes about it. You all clearly hear no difference tho and that's supposed to be ok because it's only a bad thing when it's offensive to you guys.

And Alta´r from ACR "Mexican". WOW!!!!! And you say we have no ear for accents. That is laughable. I know several Mexicans and I can tell you that they flat out sound NOTHING like Alta´r in ACR. Talk about ignorant. Just a tiny bit of Hypocrisy here?

Sonny18n
07-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Oh come now, who else said anyone was wrong but me? :p

Okay okay, fine i see your point. I'll be gentle.

Let me ask you a question, how would you feel if a white guy voiced a black character and gives a better performance with s stereotypical accent, if you will. While a black guy with natural tendencies of an obvious black man, gives a dull performance?

Kaschra
07-16-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't care.
I can't stand his voice in the first AC, I'm glad they changed it in ACR

Megas_Doux
07-16-2014, 03:56 PM
I Alta´r from AC1 and Snake/Big Boss from Metal Gear(pre Ground Zeroes) are not what an American accent sounds like. And you don't see us freaking out every 5 minutes about it. You all clearly hear no difference tho and that's supposed to be ok because it's only a bad thing when it's offensive to you guys.

I am HUGE Metal Gear fan, and when you said that Solid Snake/Big Boss was dubbed to english from japanese actor you made doubt for a second because since I did not remember it that way, but then I checked in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hayter

http://epn.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/David-Hayter-image.jpg

His acting in the first metal gear games is uber cheesy, but I just asked a american friend for his accent and she just said he sounds like it....

Back on topic, M has all the right to complain.

Sonny18n
07-16-2014, 04:11 PM
I am HUGE Metal Gear fan, and when you said that Solid Snake/Big Boss was dubbed to english from japanese actor you made doubt for a second because since I did not remember it that way, but then I checked in Wikipedia:

His acting in the first metal gear games is uber cheesy, but I just asked a american friend for his accent and she just said he sounds like it....

I have every right to complain about how pooping is better than peeing but I wouldn't say you're wrong in thinking otherwise

DumbGamerTag94
07-16-2014, 04:18 PM

Ok??? I never even said snake was voiced by a Japanese actor. I said Alta´r and Snakes voices were reminiscent of Japanese TV shows dubbed into English. You may want to read it again.

While their accent "sounds" American(sorta). Specifically the ACCENT. The delivery is not American at all. Which I find odd considering they were both voiced by Americans. The delivery is too slow. There is unnatural pausing and speeding up mid sentence. They are monotone. They have a weird fake gruff sound to their voices.

I feel when I play those games like I am listening to Americanized anime or 1990s power rangers.

While the accent is technically correct(ish)....the delivery makes it very UnAmerican. Nowhere near authentic.

Megas_Doux
07-16-2014, 04:28 PM
I have every right to complain about how pooping is better than peeing but I wouldn't say you're wrong in thinking otherwise

No!!!!
M is NOT criticizing his histrionic skills per se, nor the people that thinks so!!!! But the fact that many believe he is better JUST based on the accent, an accent that is utterly inaccurate, hence is displease.

ArabianFrost
07-16-2014, 05:17 PM
So what's a good example of an Arabic accent done correctly? Altair sounded to me like how I'd expect Egyptian actors like Omar el Sherif or Amr Waked would talk. Maybe the Arabic pronunciation was butchered, but otherwise, the accent was decent...that is unless people want some accent along the lines of zees atrocaaty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=johBf44F9eQ

Jexx21
07-16-2014, 06:10 PM
wait, is Frost, an arab, saying that he thinks ACR's Altair accent was fine?

I-Like-Pie45
07-16-2014, 06:12 PM
race traitor

Wolfmeister1010
07-16-2014, 06:50 PM
A little late with this thread are we

Xstantin
07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
^ You're Russian, right? I wonder what you think about glorious motherland's accents

JustPlainQuirky
07-16-2014, 07:18 PM
wait, is Frost, an arab, saying that he thinks ACR's Altair accent was fine?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mctko0Um8C1rrc78e.gif

Wolfmeister1010
07-16-2014, 07:42 PM
^ You're Russian, right? I wonder what you think about glorious motherland's accents

what you mean the russian accents in AC or russian accents in general?

I-Like-Pie45
07-16-2014, 07:44 PM
I met a Russian girl once

She had an accent as well as some other things

Do you have an accent WM

Xstantin
07-16-2014, 07:58 PM
what you mean the russian accents in AC or russian accents in general?

They had a funny Russian accent in ACB glyphs, so yeah, not sure if people gonna remember it though.

steveeire
07-16-2014, 09:20 PM
I met a Russian girl once

She had an accent as well as some other things

Do you have an accent WM

Other things you say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyfdcoocex8

SteelCity999
07-16-2014, 10:25 PM
I think the bigger problem with Altair in ACR was that the "voice" did not fit the character. Altair's tone and delivery were extremely good for the character he was designed to be in AC1. ACR gave us a character we were all unfamiliar with and a rather poor performance overall, regardless of accent.

Ureh
07-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Yeah I prefer Shahbaz's voice and accent. Also ACR Altair didn't really have nostrils so that sorta ruined the performance in some of the cutscenes.

Farlander1991
07-16-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm not Russian (I'm from Moldova) but am a native Russian speaker (Russian's more native to me than the other native Romanian :D ), and when I got to Canada quite a few people were surprised because it didn't sound like I have a Russian accent. And for a long time I had gripes against Russian accents dat saund laik vis wiv a veri cleer rashn vorrd prronansiashen, because... who talks like that? I hadn't heard anybody, and would tell people that that's ******** and I am what Russian accent sounds like.

Until I came back home and heard more people speak in English. Mind you, not everybody speaks bad English, but by Odin's beard, as it turned out, zis aksent iz seen veri offten.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 10:47 PM
So what's a good example of an Arabic accent done correctly? Altair sounded to me like how I'd expect Egyptian actors like Omar el Sherif or Amr Waked would talk. Maybe the Arabic pronunciation was butchered, but otherwise, the accent was decent...that is unless people want some accent along the lines of zees atrocaaty:

that IS an atrocity but honestly, 7elwa b ghaba2 gbha bel zabt ebn el la3eeba and Omar el Sherif and Amr Waked have a way better accent, it's not even JUST about pronounciation...just listen to Anvar and he says "Apple" he says "Appol" that's not an arab accent, that's a hardcore persian accent.

I don't care.
I can't stand his voice in the first AC, I'm glad they changed it in ACR
I care so I don't care that you don't care. I bet you'd be the first to make a thread complaining if they made a horribly portrayed german accent.

Let me ask you a question, how would you feel if a white guy voiced a black character and gives a better performance with s stereotypical accent, if you will. While a black guy with natural tendencies of an obvious black man, gives a dull performance?
we HAD a good Arab guy (imo) they HAD a good arab guy, I know where you're going with this...Shahbaz to me was a lot better than Anvar, question is irrelevant.

I love how everyone praises Alta´rs voice from AC1. That had to be one of the most annoying voices ever to me. He's supposed to sound American I guess(which didn't exist at the time why they didn't use British is beyond me). But he sounds like a damn computer. Everything is monotone he's speaking far too slow and trying wayyyyy to hard to sound monotone and gruff like some kind of 80s action hero(hmmmm perhaps that's why foreigners think that sounds good since they are saturated with all of our ****ty acted action movies from 20-30 years ago??). That performance reminded me of Japanese people doing their best American to dub a show for the US. It was painful. Don't call it good. It just wasn't "it's not even an opinion thing anymore or open for discussion you're just WRONG". Seriously. Alta´r from AC1 and Snake/Big Boss from Metal Gear(pre Ground Zeroes) are not what an American accent sounds like. And you don't see us freaking out every 5 minutes about it. You all clearly hear no difference tho and that's supposed to be ok because it's only a bad thing when it's offensive to you guys.

And Alta´r from ACR "Mexican". WOW!!!!! And you say we have no ear for accents. That is laughable. I know several Mexicans and I can tell you that they flat out sound NOTHING like Alta´r in ACR. Talk about ignorant. Just a tiny bit of Hypocrisy here?
Nice try but no...your arguing is starting to take a real dip in quality.

It's an accent.

Get over it.

AC3 and 4 have hilariously bad and stereotypical Scottish accents - who gives a toss.

Cas Anvar's performance was bad because it didn't fit Altair's character. Ezio's was awesome despite his poor accent.

No, I wont get over it...if I get over it, other things will be half assed about my culture if they ever revisit that place again and i'll be told to "get over it" they already didnt bother with A LOT of other things.

I don't expect anyone to care, I don't expect anyone to do anything, this is a thread to tell people who THINK ACR's accent of Altair is more authentic than his accent in AC I, that's wrong...like it, I don't care...just DON'T call it authentic, what's the problem?

Kaschra
07-16-2014, 10:54 PM
I care so I don't care that you don't care. I bet you'd be the first to make a thread complaining if they made a horribly portrayed german accent.

I think I would prefer a bad German accent over a dull voice like Altair had in AC1.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 10:56 PM
I think I would prefer a bad German accent over a dull voice like Altair had in AC1.
Anvar was dull as well, people keep talking about how dull Shahbaz was...Anvar was as dull, if not duller...show me an instance where Anvar's voice changes tone. I'd argue that Shahbaz's performance was way better overall..

m4r-k7
07-16-2014, 11:01 PM

Yeah but dude what you don't understand is that hardly anyone cares about you not caring that other people don't care about the whole thing. This thread is stupid and is useless.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Yeah but dude what you don't understand is that hardly anyone cares about you not caring that other people don't care about the whole thing. This thread is stupid and is useless.
Actually, some people DO actually care...

I disagree that it's stupid and useless...

m4r-k7
07-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Actually, some people DO actually care...

I disagree that it's stupid and useless...

I dont know what you think is going to be achieved by this thread. You are obviousily trying to get your viewpoint across very strongly. If you succeed, the most that will happen is that you will change a couple of peoples opinions. Then what? Will it affect future games? Nah

FlamingMoh
07-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Although Anvar's accent and pronunciation was bad, I thought that his performance was pretty good.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 11:09 PM
I dont know what you think is going to be achieved by this thread. You are obviousily trying to get your viewpoint across very strongly. If you succeed, the most that will happen is that you will change a couple of peoples opinions. Then what? Will it affect future games? Nah
It actually might change future games if they're set in that period--sure, this issue may seem minor but so does every other gripe I have with AC games set in the middle east--one minor issue over the other and it creates a pretty big alienating gap for A LOT of fans and if I ignore issues because "they're minor so who cares" then i'd be willingly letting Ubisoft get away with more and more if they decide to set the games in the middle east again.

will it DEFINITELY affect future games? wont know till I try

Although Anvar's accent and pronunciation was bad, I thought that his performance was pretty good.
This is what i'm trying to get at, thank you

You can like his performance, like the accent, like whatever BUT don't call it authentic...that's my whole issue here, thank you.

m4r-k7
07-16-2014, 11:13 PM
then i'd be willingly letting Ubisoft get away with more and more if they decide to set the games in the middle east again.

You make it sound as if Ubisoft is committing a crime by not having authentic voice acting in their games. There are many other factors involved hence the reason why they don't have authentic voice acting every single year.

FlamingMoh
07-16-2014, 11:16 PM
They should have authentic voice acting as they are a multi-national company.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 11:20 PM
You make it sound as if Ubisoft is committing a crime by not having authentic voice acting in their games. There are many other factors involved hence the reason why they don't have authentic voice acting every single year.
I didn't say they're committing a crime...I have an issue with their games, i'm complaining, what's the problem? the thing is, they HAD an arab actor and like I said, this is NOT the only issue AND like i said, i wont keep ignoring it because if I do, they'll just get away with other things..everybody complains about such little things, I don't see you telling them "you're acting as if ubisoft committed a crime" I never said they did

Farlander1991
07-16-2014, 11:24 PM
You make it sound as if Ubisoft is committing a crime by not having authentic voice acting in their games.

Tell that to every person looudly complaining about Arno's lack of french accent :p :D

m4r-k7
07-16-2014, 11:26 PM
I didn't say they're committing a crime...I have an issue with their games, i'm complaining, what's the problem? the thing is, they HAD an arab actor and like I said, this is NOT the only issue AND like i said, i wont keep ignoring it because if I do, they'll just get away with other things..everybody complains about such little things, I don't see you telling them "you're acting as if ubisoft committed a crime" I never said they did

You have said numerous times that you don't want them GETTING away with these things. It makes Ubisoft sound like they are outwardly offending you. You are allowed to complain - there is no problem. I just dont know what you are trying to achieve as a massive thing like this (aka voice acting) will not be changed due to your personal preference and reasoning behind the need for authenticity. Like I said there are obviousily other factors involved which is why they are not doing this. They are obviousily not doing it to be insultive - they are doing it for reasons that are probably unknown to us and are out of our control.

SixKeys
07-16-2014, 11:28 PM
40-page thread where non-French people whine about Arno not having a French accent: important, nay, essential.

13-page thread where a real Arab complains about Alta´r's terrible fake accent: stupid and pointless.

Seems legit.

masterfenix2009
07-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Based on performance level, I would say I enjoyed ACR's performance more. To me he didn't sound like a dull piece of wood have the time.

To M's point, the few times I liked AC1 Altair was when he actually spoke those few Arabic lines. He sounded like he had energy and passion that I would have liked to see more of.

m4r-k7
07-16-2014, 11:30 PM
40-page thread where non-French people whine about Arno not having a French accent: important, nay, essential.

13-page thread where a real Arab complains about Alta´r's terrible fake accent: stupid and pointless.

Seems legit.

They are both pointless. In regards to the French one, they are not going to suddenly change it are they? The game has been in development for 3 to 4 years.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 11:31 PM
You have said numerous times that you don't want them GETTING away with these things. It makes Ubisoft sound like they are outwardly offending you. You are allowed to complain - there is no problem. I just dont know what you are trying to achieve as a massive thing like this (aka voice acting) will not be changed due to your personal preference and reasoning behind the need for authenticity. Like I said there are obviousily other factors involved which is why they are not doing this. They are obviousily not doing it to be insultive - they are doing it for reasons that are probably unknown to us and are out of our control.
*sigh* so you pay attention to my wording and not EVERYTHING else I said? i kept reiterating throughout that i'm not offended, nor insulted, nor anything, sure my wording my SLIGHTLY imply such but i said i'm not...i'm not offended so that's case closed.

I already told you what i'm trying to achieve, i'd sound repetitive at this point.

They are both pointless. In regards to the French one, they are not going to suddenly change it are they? The game has been in development for 3 to 4 years.
Go say that in the french accent thread..

FlamingMoh
07-16-2014, 11:32 PM

Seems legit.
Finally someone understands.

m4r-k7
07-16-2014, 11:33 PM
*sigh* so you pay attention to my wording and not EVERYTHING else I said? i kept reiterating throughout that i'm not offended, nor insulted, nor anything, sure my wording my SLIGHTLY imply such but i said i'm not...i'm not offended so that's case closed.

Yes I am paying attention to your wording. Are you paying attention to mine?

ACfan443
07-16-2014, 11:45 PM

Seems legit.

Altair's terrible fake accent has been discussed ever since the game's release 3 years ago, It's an old issue.
The lack of accent in Unity is a completely new one and the thread is only 10 more pages than this one.

It's actually impressive that this thread got to as many pages as it did in such a short period of time.

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 11:48 PM
Altair's terrible fake accent has been discussed ever since the game's release 3 years ago, It's an old issue.
The lack of accent in Unity is a completely new one and the thread is only 10 more pages than this one.

It's actually impressive that this thread got to as many pages as it did in such a short period of time.
No matter how old an issue is, it should not relegate its subjective importance...

SixKeys
07-16-2014, 11:58 PM

The age of the games doesn't matter, the points being made are easily comparable. People want Arno to have a French accent, and most of them say they would even be fine with a fake accent from a non-French person. "Even a fake accent is better than no accent at all." They're basically saying they're fine with ANY accent that sounds foreign to them, regardless if it actually sounds authentic or not.

The same people are also fine with Alta´r's fake accent in ACR because somehow his non-Arabic accent is authentic to the point that they feel they're really immersed in an Arabic world. How does that even make sense? "Wow, this guy sounds like a Mexican. Listening to him, I feel so immersed in this Arabic world!"

If you dislike Arno's British accent on the basis that it's not authentic, you should also dislike Alta´r's ACR accent because it's not Arabic. Otherwise you're being a hypocrite.

Jexx21
07-17-2014, 12:36 AM
I accept both Arno's British accent and ACR's non-authentic Arabian accent.

JustPlainQuirky
07-17-2014, 12:39 AM
I accept both Arno's British accent and ACR's non-authentic Arabian accent.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130202070054/glee/images/7/74/Applause-crowd.gif

ACfan443
07-17-2014, 12:45 AM
No matter how old an issue is, it should not relegate its subjective importance...

Of course not, I was just making a point about how it's nonsensical to highlight the disparity in topic popularity considering one issue is significantly older than the other. Not implying that the significance and importance of an old issue should be devalued in any way.

The age of the games doesn't matter, the points being made are easily comparable. People want Arno to have a French accent, and most of them say they would even be fine with a fake accent from a non-French person. "Even a fake accent is better than no accent at all." They're basically saying they're fine with ANY accent that sounds foreign to them, regardless if it actually sounds authentic or not.

The same people are also fine with Alta´r's fake accent in ACR because somehow his non-Arabic accent is authentic to the point that they feel they're really immersed in an Arabic world. How does that even make sense? "Wow, this guy sounds like a Mexican. Listening to him, I feel so immersed in this Arabic world!"

If you dislike Arno's British accent on the basis that it's not authentic, you should also dislike Alta´r's ACR accent because it's not Arabic. Otherwise you're being a hypocrite.

Sure, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was just saying that a thread about a relatively old issue having slightly fewer pages of discussion than that of a new issue shouldn't exactly be shocking.

Megas_Doux
07-17-2014, 01:13 AM
40-page thread where non-french people whine about arno not having a french accent: Important, nay, essential.

13-page thread where a real arab complains about alta´r's terrible fake accent: Stupid and pointless.

Seems legit.

THIS!!!!!!!!!

Double standarts....

phoenix-force411
07-17-2014, 03:58 AM
The original Altair voice wouldn't have sounded very good when it came to the aging Altair. I prefer ACR voice, because the American accent breaks the immersion at times. The Animus translation software probably affects Altair the most giving him 100% clear american accent which was odd. Altair never really had a stable voice actor anyways 'cause for all three games he's in, his voice was different.

Tully__
07-17-2014, 04:01 AM
They should have authentic voice acting as they are a multi-national company.
They're a multi-national, but the studio that made the game is based in one location and has to work with resources available in their region (or at least not un-economically far out of their region).

... I just dont know what you are trying to achieve....
It's pretty clear to me. M is trying to get Ubisoft to understand that the authenticity of details such as accent are important to at least part of the community and some effort should be made to cater to that. There is nothing wrong with him feeling that way.

I can in part understand his frustration too, as it's all too common to see developer blogs on international websites that are clearly written / spoken for a north American or other regional audience. Developers often seem to forget that their potential customer base is 6 billion world citizens from hundreds of diverse cultures, not 300 million regional citizens from maybe four or five closely related cultures.