PDA

View Full Version : Adéwalé, give me the AC4 that I deserve!!!

Kakuzu745
07-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Disclaimer: This thread may contain spoilers.

You can say whatever you want about Freedom's Cry, but Adéwalé managed to fix most of what was wrong for me with the game while also positioning himself in the AC universe. With Ade you get a more grounded character, a character with core believes that remind you of Ezio, Altair or Connor. In my opinion Ade gave a reason to make this game, he is the character that Assassins Creed needs in the Caribbean...he is the embodiment of the era, a former slave in the plantation which would later become a pirate and in the end decided to pursue higher goals including the freedom of others...that is what an assassin should be in my opinion.

Without most of us even noticing we watched a character with a great background (former slave in the plantation which basically is the biggest oppression of the are), the development of this character as a pirate which helped him become a master in combat, navigation and such, and finally how this character decided to focus all of this to greater goals with the order (pretty similar to Ezio now that I think about it).

So yeah, give me a game with Ade as the Mentor of the Caribbean Order and how they struggled to live in the conflict between the royal crowns and the pirates while also fighting for the rights of all the people who claim for freedom!

Just my two cents ;)

JustPlainQuirky
07-15-2014, 10:49 PM
I actually find Adewale boring.

inb4 racist

Assassin_M
07-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Entitlement, ignored..

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-15-2014, 10:54 PM
I haven't played Freedom Cry yet so I can't have a say on how I feel about Adewale. All I've heard is him and his story is interesting.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-15-2014, 11:09 PM
I liked Freedom Cry, but i prefer Black Flag. I prefer Edward over Adewale.

guardian_titan
07-16-2014, 12:12 AM
I found Adewale boring. Freedom Cry could have been something Connor or Haytham related instead. It even could have been Achilles related. I don't want to see another game with him until Connor and I suppose Aveline actually get an ending to their story. Once they're done, THEN I can see Adewale getting a sequel.

rickprog
07-16-2014, 02:26 AM
I liked Adewale as a character, and while Freedom Cry was only a DLC and had certain things that I found unappealing (the progression system related to how many slaves you had freed, for example), it did show an Assassin with a different, strong personality, grounded on his goals and who really fought for liberty. I agree that AC4 felt more like a pirate game than an Assassin game, after all, Eddy wasn't an Assassin until the end of the game, and he never really looked towards accomplishing the Assassin's goals, like Adewale did. All this said, I don't know if I'd be up to having and Adewale game because I don't think I'd be able to stand another game set in the Caribbean, with so much navigation and naval fighting (don't get me wrong, it was great, but I had enough of it already).

Fatal-Feit
07-16-2014, 04:50 AM
Freedom Cry was amazing, and I would love for an Adewale sequel. That said, I HIGHLY disagree with your criticisms concerning AC:IV and Edward. I know you're not trying to start a flame war, but seriously, Ade reminded you of Ezio? Edward's story was basically Ezio 2.0's...

I'm sorry, but I facepalmed.

steveeire
07-16-2014, 09:09 AM
no it wasn't.

LoyalACFan
07-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Edward's story was basically Ezio 2.0's...

Okay, say what you want about the similarities between Edward and Ezio as characters (which I think are greatly overstated anyway, they both crack jokes and like sex, ooh, identical characters confirmed :rolleyes:) but the actual stories themselves were nothing alike. People complained that Ezio's story focused almost solely on revenge, well guess what, there isn't even an element of revenge in AC4. Hell, OP is closer to the truth in saying Adewale was like Ezio because he killed the Governeur to avenge the slaves.

Anyway, on-topic, I thought Edward was a better character than Adewale. Sure, Adewale only got a short DLC to show off his character so it's not a fair comparison, but I never felt like Adewale was a shoe-in for his own game. He was likable enough and I wouldn't mind a sequel starring him, but I don't get where this sentiment that Edward was terrible and Adewale was awesome comes from. Probably from people who say Edward only cares about money...

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 12:41 PM
but I don't get where this sentiment that Edward was terrible and Adewale was awesome comes from. Probably from people who say Edward only cares about money...
Probably because Edwardz iz nots a troo azzazzin

MasterAssasin84
07-16-2014, 12:44 PM
I thought Freedom cry was boring ! it was the worst DLC i have ever played .

LoyalACFan
07-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Probably because Edwardz iz nots a troo azzazzin

Not like Enzio

Assassin_M
07-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Not like Enzio
yez, he a troo azzazzin from A to za Z

Namikaze_17
07-16-2014, 01:30 PM
I found Adewale a very believable and honorable Assassin who's Conviction was strong in his Creed and also his fight for the freedom of Slaves and such. I personally found just as interesting and heartfelt as Edward so they're equal to me really. However, I personally wouldn't mind an Adewale sequel, but if he doesn't get one it'll be alright with me because we all know how his story ends and such.

LoyalACFan
07-16-2014, 01:39 PM
I found Adewale a very believable and honorable Assassin who's Conviction was strong in his Creed and also his fight for the freedom of Slaves and such. I personally found just as interesting and heartfelt as Edward so they're equal to me really. However, I personally wouldn't mind an Adewale sequel, but if he doesn't get one it'll be alright with me because we all know how his story ends and such.

OK, before you praise Adewale's commitment to the Creed too much, let's not forget that he's literally playing hooky for two YEARS from his Assassin duties during the events of Freedom Cry.

Namikaze_17
07-16-2014, 02:05 PM
OK, before you praise Adewale's commitment to the Creed too much, let's not forget that he's literally playing hooky for two YEARS from his Assassin duties during the events of Freedom Cry.

First, I'm not praising Adewale in no means......his dedication/commitment to the Creed was less compared to Characters Like Altair. However, his Conviction ( Like Connor) for the Creed was one of the strong points in his Character as he fought for the Freedom of the Slaves and Humanity in general. Secondly, he said he was RETURNING to his Assassin Duties after he knew his recruits would be fine without him.

Kakuzu745
07-16-2014, 02:52 PM
The main point with Edward is not whether he is a true assassin or not, it is how plain and single minded the character is because it transforms the game into something that it should not be. Personally what I expect from an AC game is a mix of history, stealth and adventure...all of these elements were given less importance in favor of navigation, navigation and yes, navigation. Do I like navigation? Yes, but I prefer it to be a fun a additional element to the main story and not the main story itself.

Does Edward only care about money? Probably not only but for sure his greed or his plunder needs are the main driver of the game making the assassins story feel like an unnecessary filler.

In my opinion, Ade made what I mentioned above right...he combines the elements I really like from Assassins Creed while also tying the story of the order to something bigger.

HDinHB
07-17-2014, 12:39 AM
Probably from people who say Edward only cares about money...

I think it was Edward that said that.

I liked Adéwalé, and the slave ship rescue mission was the most poignant in AC4, and possibly in several games. I'm not ready for and AC4 redux, just replacing one protagonist with another. So Adéwalé would have to do something really different (Maybe he could chase the French to South America). But really, there is so much history, maybe we should give the 18th century a rest.

Jexx21
07-17-2014, 12:50 AM
The main point with Edward is not whether he is a true assassin or not, it is how plain and single minded the character is because it transforms the game into something that it should not be. Personally what I expect from an AC game is a mix of history, stealth and adventure...all of these elements were given less importance in favor of navigation, navigation and yes, navigation. Do I like navigation? Yes, but I prefer it to be a fun a additional element to the main story and not the main story itself.

Does Edward only care about money? Probably not only but for sure his greed or his plunder needs are the main driver of the game making the assassins story feel like an unnecessary filler.

In my opinion, Ade made what I mentioned above right...he combines the elements I really like from Assassins Creed while also tying the story of the order to something bigger.

AC4 has more stealth in it than any Assassin's Creed game before it.

Xstantin
07-17-2014, 12:59 AM
The main point with Edward is not whether he is a true assassin or not, it is how plain and single minded the character is because it transforms the game into something that it should not be.

Plain ans single minded characters usually work rather well, cause it it's easy to follow :nonchalance: Edward's journey was actually really coherent and straight to the point.

Fatal-Feit
07-17-2014, 04:24 AM
Okay, say what you want about the similarities between Edward and Ezio as characters (which I think are greatly overstated anyway, they both crack jokes and like sex, ooh, identical characters confirmed :rolleyes:) but the actual stories themselves were nothing alike. People complained that Ezio's story focused almost solely on revenge, well guess what, there isn't even an element of revenge in AC4. Hell, OP is closer to the truth in saying Adewale was like Ezio because he killed the Governeur to avenge the slaves.

I was comparing the journey of AC:IV and AC:2. Both stories involved two men who used the Assassins as a means to an end, but came to understand their order and became up an Assassin by the end as well. --Pretty similar if you ask me.

Kakuzu745
07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
AC4 has more stealth in it than any Assassin's Creed game before it.

Probably what really bothered me was the lack of stealth variety...you could basically finish the game by hiding in bushes and shooting darts.

I dont know, I guess it is personal preference but I would have prefer to spend less time in the ship and more in the cities...this in my opinion would have forced the developer to make the the stealth more varied when in ground.

Plain ans single minded characters usually work rather well, cause it it's easy to follow :nonchalance: Edward's journey was actually really coherent and straight to the point.

I guess this is also personal preference. While I do agree there are characters that are really plain and simple and work really well, this is not what I expected after the other assassins. If you ask me Adewale's philosophy is also coherent and straight to the point but it has potential to be more elaborated and entertaining while also exploring the story of the assassins and the templars more.

LionHeart XXII
07-17-2014, 10:43 PM
So the thing with AC:IV that always bugs me is when people say "its not assassiny enough" is that, thats the point of the game i think. In an anual franchise that is starting to show signs of wear and tear, the devs need to shake things up. thats why I perosnally love black flag. it is so different from what they have done in the past and creates creativity and variety in the franchise. People were not ready for a Conner sequal. and thats why there wasn't one. AC fans needed a break in the typical assassin's creed story...thus black flag. That being said, Edward was a great character, who follow a similar path then that of the much beloved/loathed Ezio, so people who say he wasn't a true assassin's are short sighted. On the topic of Adelwale, he was a great and was more of a traditional assassin character but really doesn't need his own game

rickprog
07-17-2014, 11:52 PM
At the same time, being in the setting Edward was allowed the story for a bigger moral conflict of whether he was following the Creed properly or not, or if it was the right thing to do. These pirates were trying to establish and manage a republic where people were actually free from anyone's command. Before ACIV came out, I thought that would be the basis of the story: Edward being an Assassin and struggling because of a certain sensation of not doing the right thing on a fight for freedom while being a pirate (since they were criminals to global society's standards).

It's still a great game and I adored the story, I'm just trying to point out the fact that not because it's an Assassin game it has to be a repeated statement or similar backdrop/plot to the other AC games.

LoyalACFan
07-18-2014, 01:45 AM
I was comparing the journey of AC:IV and AC:2. Both stories involved two men who used the Assassins as a means to an end, but came to understand their order and became up an Assassin by the end as well. --Pretty similar if you ask me.

Neither of them used the Assassins as a means to an end. They stole/inherited Assassin gear and rolled with it. That's basically where the similarities end. The circumstances in which they eventually joined were totally different.

Shahkulu101
07-18-2014, 01:49 AM
But Edward make sexy time and Ezio make sexy time

No argument

Fatal-Feit
07-18-2014, 02:34 AM
Neither of them used the Assassins as a means to an end. They stole/inherited Assassin gear and rolled with it. That's basically where the similarities end. The circumstances in which they eventually joined were totally different.

a means to an end
something that you are not interested in but that you do because it will help you to achieve something else (not used with the )

I think that suits them quite well.

Farlander1991
07-18-2014, 08:26 AM
This thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/898522-Assassin-s-Creed-series-stealth-viability-sheet)shows how AC4 has got the most stealth viability in total out of all other AC games.

Also some additional numbers based on that document:
40% of AC4 main campaign includes naval sections
35% of AC4 main campaign is in cities
40% of AC4 main campaign includes sections on Carribean land
(numbers don't add up to 100 because some missions include mix of naval and land)

In total:
35% of all AC4 meaningful content (main and side) is naval or includes naval.
33% of all AC4 meaningful content is in the cities.
31% of all AC4 meaningful content is in the Carribean land.
Plus 8% of AC4 content is underwater (either pure underwater or underwater with smuggler dens on land) which I wasn't sure where to include.

You can argue that naval and caribbean land should be counted together since they take place on the same map, but that's different type of gameplay and content, so I'm not so sure about that. But proportionally speaking, if you count all land gameplay, then we have it 51% in the main cities :p And the Caribbean is not devoid of little towns and villages either, it's like the Kingdom of AC1 (which barely has anything to do) and Frontier of AC3.

Assassin_M
07-18-2014, 08:39 AM
This thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/898522-Assassin-s-Creed-series-stealth-viability-sheet)shows how AC4 has got the most stealth viability in total out of all other AC games.

(numbers don't add up to 100 because some missions include mix of naval and land)

In total:
Plus 8% of AC4 content is underwater (either pure underwater or underwater with smuggler dens on land) which I wasn't sure where to include.

You can argue that naval and caribbean land should be counted together since they take place on the same map, but that's different type of gameplay and content, so I'm not so sure about that. But proportionally speaking, if you count all land gameplay, then we have it 51% in the main cities :p And the Caribbean is not devoid of little towns and villages either, it's like the Kingdom of AC1 (which barely has anything to do) and Frontier of AC3.
Man, i feel for you--having to carry this around in every thread and STILL get arguments against it..

Farlander1991
07-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Man, i feel for you--having to carry this around in every thread and STILL get arguments against it..

Honestly I don't remember ever getting arguments against it. But there were plenty of times when people just wouldn't reply to that or ignore that :D

Assassin_M
07-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Honestly I don't remember ever getting arguments against it. But there were plenty of times when people just wouldn't reply to that or ignore that :D
Not directly, just people STILL arguing about AC IV not being "assassiney" enough even after you post your statistics...

Farlander1991
07-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Not directly, just people STILL arguing about AC IV not being "assassiney" enough even after you post your statistics...

Well, people have different definitions of "Assassiny", which is normal. I just counted the stealth possibilities.

Like, if for smb. stealth in the cities is more important, then... well, out of all stealth possibilities, approx. 42% are in the cities, approx. 44% are in the caribbean, and approx. 12% are underwater + smugglerden which I'm not sure how to count. So while there's the same amount of sneaky stabby action in AC4 in cities as there is on islands and jungles and small villages, for somebody that ratio may not feel 'assassiny'.

To me personally Assassin is an Assassin, regardless of the environment. Assassin in urban setting is no more or less an Assassin than an Assassin in a rural setting. I think if in AC1 its rural setting was more than just flags + a few Templars to kill, the expectation to be predominantly urban wouldn't appear anywhere.

Kakuzu745
07-18-2014, 05:32 PM
So the thing with AC:IV that always bugs me is when people say "its not assassiny enough" is that, thats the point of the game i think. In an anual franchise that is starting to show signs of wear and tear, the devs need to shake things up. thats why I perosnally love black flag. it is so different from what they have done in the past and creates creativity and variety in the franchise. People were not ready for a Conner sequal. and thats why there wasn't one. AC fans needed a break in the typical assassin's creed story...thus black flag. That being said, Edward was a great character, who follow a similar path then that of the much beloved/loathed Ezio, so people who say he wasn't a true assassin's are short sighted. On the topic of Adelwale, he was a great and was more of a traditional assassin character but really doesn't need his own game

They can refresh the series with a lot of stuff and if they wanted to do something different they could just release a different franchise with a different name...it was just safer to launch it with the AC name. It really was not about doing something different.

In total:

That is probably the difference between people who like AC4 a lot (you I think) and people who enjoyed the game but criticize it "a lot" (me). In my opinion 51% of the game in main cities is not a good number. Besides that you are only considering where the mission takes place as a factor...time you spent in the mission should be the defining factor and in my opinion naval missions were way longer than the missions in main cities.

Regarding the stealth, I have not seen your thread, great job man! However, I am not arguing AC4 was short of stealth, I am arguing it was short of stealth options...it felt like you always had to find for "those bushes". Nevertheless I really enjoyed a couple of those stealthy bushes missions. especially when you have to eliminate the guardians of the observatory.

Anyway, the point of my thread is not to attack AC4 because it really is not like I did not enjoyed the game...I did and it is a solid 8,5 for me, however, all of the factors that do not make it a 10 for me would be different if the character was different. That is why I keep saying that we should revisit the caribbean atmosphere someday but with Adewale as the main character. If I hated AC4 I would not even consider revisiting some of the game elements.

Assassin_M
07-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Regarding the stealth, I have not seen your thread, great job man! However, I am not arguing AC4 was short of stealth, I am arguing it was short of stealth options...it felt like you always had to find for "those bushes". Nevertheless I really enjoyed a couple of those stealthy bushes missions. especially when you have to eliminate the guardians of the observatory.

Do you think AC II had more stealth options?

Kakuzu745
07-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Yes and No...since many of the missions occurred in plantations or islands in the caribbean you really did not have that many options besides plants

Farlander1991
07-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Yes and No...since many of the missions occurred in plantations or islands in the caribbean you really did not have that many options besides plants

But from stealth gameplay perspective plants are no different than AC2 crowd formations and blending spots (or AC4 for that matter) - places where you become invisible from guards unless directly searched. A place where 4 people talk is essentially a bush.

The only thing that crowds have over plants is that you can manipulate them and change their behavior, but neither ACII nor ACIV really use those kind of systems (hopefully ACU will, as so far ACR is really the only game where crowd manipulation really comes into place, but not fully).

Sushiglutton
07-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Went with yes on this one. I liked Adewale in Freedom Cry and I'm up for more sailing too.

Assassin_M
07-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Ignoring the fact that it's not JUST plants that you can use in A LOT of the missions of AC IV, What were your options in the cities of AC II?

Kakuzu745
07-18-2014, 07:31 PM
But from stealth gameplay perspective plants are no different than AC2 crowd formations and blending spots (or AC4 for that matter) - places where you become invisible from guards unless directly searched. A place where 4 people talk is essentially a bush.

The only thing that crowds have over plants is that you can manipulate them and change their behavior, but neither ACII nor ACIV really use those kind of systems (hopefully ACU will, as so far ACR is really the only game where crowd manipulation really comes into place, but not fully).

Unity looks very promising in that department...I hope they can take what they learnt from past games and fully implement.

As for the other...yes you are right, from a stealth perspective is more or less the same but I guess it all comes down to mental games. If you feel like you hid in a bench first, then crowd, then bush, then hay it makes you feel like you are doing something different than hiding just hiding in the same place over and over again but from a stealth perspective is basically the same in a different disguise. Guess I would have preferred more visual options ;)

Kirokill
07-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Ignoring the fact that it's not JUST plants that you can use in A LOT of the missions of AC IV, What were your options in the cities of AC II?

In AC2 for my experience, always felt there were blend groups for exactly where you need to be to not be noticed, as it was my last played AC for the first time, I know I had full experience, but all like planned. In other games I used roofs sometimes.

Hardest blending mission in AC2 I got to say was learning to blend, groups weren't exactly placed to pass very easily.

Roofs in Venice aren't very good for tailing neither.

Xstantin
07-18-2014, 09:36 PM
In AC2 for my experience, always felt there were blend groups for exactly where you need to be to not be noticed, as it was my last played AC for the first time, I know I had full experience, but all like planned. In other games I used roofs sometimes.

Hardest blending mission in AC2 I got to say was learning to blend, groups weren't exactly placed to pass very easily.

The guards would run like chickens if Ezio throws coins during that tutorial :p

Farlander1991
07-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Since the other thread got closed, I'll reply here, as it's from the OP and also fits the topic...

I mean was it really necessary to do the whole Vane thing, the Blackbeard thing, the Nassau thing (i mean all of them)?

To tell the "Assassin origin story" they wanted to tell in the environment they chose - yes. If they had a story with a different character and a different purpose, then no, but then it would've been a different story entirely. I honestly love that we got a story of how somebody grows to choose the Assassin as the end goal, because we already had a story where someone was always an Assassin, and two stories where becoming part of Assassins is, if not the inciting incident, then passing of the first threshold. A third one in a row is tiring (though it seems we'll get another one of that sort with ACU, so don't you worry :) ).

And the Observatory, it's ultimately irrelevant outside of the current story. The Observatory is the 'ultimate treasure' that leads to Edward's eventual downfall, in a different story there'd be no need for such ultimate treasure.

Kakuzu745
07-18-2014, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Assassin_M
"To be honest, every Assassins Creed is a personal journey. Altair's redemption, Ezio's revenge, Connor's idealism and Edward's ascendance. The only difference between Edward's story and the rest is that the Assassins were the final pay off for Edward's personal journey. From AC I, AC II and AC III the final pay-off was something else and the Assassins came along from the beginning. Altair was an established assassin forced to reestablish himself and his understanding of the Creed to reclaim his honor (end goal/payoff for journey), Ezio inherited the mantle of Assassin to hunt those responsible for his family's tragedy in revenge (end goal/pay off for journey), Connor took up the mantle of Assassin to protect his people and bring freedom and peace to all (end goal/ pay off for journey), Edward stole the mantle of Assassin in an effort to find his place in the world (end goal/pay off for journey)

So we have Honor/redemption, Revenge, Freedom and place in the world. Edward encounters the assassins all along the way and each meeting actively affects Edward in some way or another, like meeting the Maroon leader in Kingston...he was very critical of Edward's life style and you could see that maroon's berating of Edward was taking effect. The only difference between Edward and the others is that his end goal/pay off for journey was the Assassin Order, unlike Connor, Altair and Ezio but what they share, though is that the Assassin Order was always there walking along the personal quest of each Assassin."

I moved our discussion here since the other thread was closed.

Ya I think that in terms of story you just nailed exactly what "bothers" me, the late involvement in the order. I mean was it really necessary to do the whole Vane thing, the Blackbeard thing, the Nassau thing (i mean all of them)? Someone could argue it was but I would preferred the writer to scratch some of that in favor of some more action involving the observatory, the order, give more drama to the search for Laureano Torres.

Probably that is the reason I preferred Adewale, a character that was also finding a place in the world but at the point where we picked his story up, the order is already walking along. Freedom's Cry did not have the involvement of the order but you could feel the ideals in Ade right from the beginning. Additionally, in my opinion his story is a book to be written while Edward's somehow feels wrapped up.

Since the other thread got closed, I'll reply here, as it's from the OP and also fits the topic...

To tell the "Assassin origin story" they wanted to tell in the environment they chose - yes. If they had a story with a different character and a different purpose, then no, but then it would've been a different story entirely. I honestly love that we got a story of how somebody grows to choose the Assassin as the end goal, because we already had a story where someone was always an Assassin, and two stories where becoming part of Assassins is, if not the inciting incident, then passing of the first threshold. A third one in a row is tiring (though it seems we'll get another one of that sort with ACU, so don't you worry :) ).

And the Observatory, it's ultimately irrelevant outside of the current story. The Observatory is the 'ultimate treasure' that leads to Edward's eventual downfall, in a different story there'd be no need for such ultimate treasure.

I guess you are right but damn I would have scratch some of those moments to get more action at the end...but oh well.

Guess that only leaves me with the gameplay thing :P