PDA

View Full Version : P-38 drivers please read this . Its about performance

Osirisx9
03-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Like a few of you p-38 lovers I was concerned that I was not getting the right aircraft performance. The only thing that i did not experienced is the slow role rate. All of my other performance specs were around 30mph below what rthey were supposed to be and climb was a joke. However I decided to do a few experiments. The first experiment I flew the bird without making any adjustments to the engine controls. After varifying that the bird was underperforming I drew upon my real world flight experience and fooled around with the prop and magnetos. Well guess what, the bird now performs the way it is supposed to. Make sure that you have the magnetos set to both on both engines and the props set to 100%on both engines . Set them individually if you have to. For some reason on my computer the props and mags do not set properly. I hope this helps you like it has helped me. All my perfomance figures are where they are supposed to be. Now I'm going to practice with this devil and raise hell on line.

Osiris_X9

Osirisx9
03-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Like a few of you p-38 lovers I was concerned that I was not getting the right aircraft performance. The only thing that i did not experienced is the slow role rate. All of my other performance specs were around 30mph below what rthey were supposed to be and climb was a joke. However I decided to do a few experiments. The first experiment I flew the bird without making any adjustments to the engine controls. After varifying that the bird was underperforming I drew upon my real world flight experience and fooled around with the prop and magnetos. Well guess what, the bird now performs the way it is supposed to. Make sure that you have the magnetos set to both on both engines and the props set to 100%on both engines . Set them individually if you have to. For some reason on my computer the props and mags do not set properly. I hope this helps you like it has helped me. All my perfomance figures are where they are supposed to be. Now I'm going to practice with this devil and raise hell on line.

Osiris_X9

CO_Eagle_31stFG
03-22-2004, 01:05 PM
38 performs as expected, nice bird as it should be

geetarman
03-22-2004, 01:52 PM
I'd like to see more comments about this as, frankly, I'm not up on the technical stuff about a/c.

Does this make sense? Would it be wise to manually set pp to 100% on a constant speed prop? Would that prevent the constant speed prop from functioning properly during flight as it would be "locked" at 100% al lthe time.

Just asking.

Maple_Tiger
03-22-2004, 02:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Osirisx9:

Osiris_X9<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% prop is actualy just 100% RPM setting or maximun combat RPM for CPS planes. Considering that most planes in FB are CPS then yes it's obvious that you would get more performance at 100% RPM seting.

Most of the time i do not use 100% RPM setting. You use too much fuel and your engine will over heat quicker.

I dont know if you do this or not but i will use combat RPM or 100%, close rad and 110% power when i Zoom climb. Propper rad management is important. When i dive down on the target plane i will open rad all the way and use 90% RPM setting. It helps keep you from over reving the engine, thus keeping your engine cooler. CPS systems will only help so much in a dive.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pd6c878f0006c224805da6c9645408b41/fb291d3e.jpg

Proud member of the FBAA and Nutty Philosohpy Club.

Maple_Tiger
03-22-2004, 02:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geetarman:
I'd like to see more comments about this as, frankly, I'm not up on the technical stuff about a/c.

Does this make sense? Would it be wise to manually set pp to 100% on a constant speed prop? Would that prevent the constant speed prop from functioning properly during flight as it would be "locked" at 100% al lthe time.

Just asking.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't manuely change prop pitch on most CPS plane's.

All you do is set your desired RPM and the governer will ajust prop pitch automaticaly.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pd6c878f0006c224805da6c9645408b41/fb291d3e.jpg

geetarman
03-22-2004, 02:18 PM
I think I got you Maple. Setting it at 100% does nothing to the prop pitch, just "locks" your RPM at the max range possible? Right?

El Turo
03-22-2004, 02:42 PM
It's more like you're telling the engine/prop what RPM you want, and then IT is adjusting your pitch accordingly to match that RPM. So, despite the screen displaying your input in "prop pitch", you're really telling it what kind of RPM you want... should be "RPM SETTING" instead.

In the LW rides, you're actually controlling the pitch manually which is why you will burn up the engine REAL quick if you're setting it up at 100% with max throttle for very long at all.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

Maple_Tiger
03-22-2004, 02:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geetarman:
I think I got you Maple. Setting it at 100% does nothing to the prop pitch, just "locks" your RPM at the max range possible? Right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That my friend is correct. By setting the RPM to 100% your just telling the governer to keep your RPM at 3000 basicaly.

Even at 100% or combat RPM the governer will change the prop pitch to keep it there. Thsi is only for CPS though. Manuel is a differant story. Ever try switching to manuel when your in the BF109? BF109 and i think some FWs have the option to use manuel prop pitch. Might have to map this though.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

Osirisx9
03-22-2004, 03:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maple_Tiger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Osirisx9:

Osiris_X9<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% prop is actualy just 100% RPM setting or maximun combat RPM for CPS planes. Considering that most planes in FB are CPS then yes it's obvious that you would get more performance at 100% RPM seting.

Most of the time i do not use 100% RPM setting. You use too much fuel and your engine will over heat quicker.

I dont know if you do this or not but i will use combat RPM or 100%, close rad and 110% power when i Zoom climb. Propper rad management is important. When i dive down on the target plane i will open rad all the way and use 90% RPM setting. It helps keep you from over reving the engine, thus keeping your engine cooler. CPS systems will only help so much in a dive.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

Proud member of the FBAA and Nutty Philosohpy Club.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm very aware and familiar with the actual mechanics and operation of CS props. I fly real planes. Thats why I stated that I drew upon my real world experince. BTW I totally agree with you setting that prop to 100% means to set the prop for full RPM and the Prop governor will lock the prop on the RPM setting selected. There for you will be able to take advantage of the all of the powerplants available horsepower. I personally do not like the Auto engine controls ... I think that it robs the aircraft of performance. It seems to matter too much with the other aircraft, but for the P-38, on my computer its the difference between night and day.

Osiris_X9

[This message was edited by Osirisx9 on Mon March 22 2004 at 02:19 PM.]

BS87
03-22-2004, 06:36 PM
I actually find the P38 to climb and preform better on a CSP setting of 85-90% (thnx Sparx). Climbs like a devil and gets a real boogie on in straight flight. 100% seems to overheat and overrev the engine a bit much, slowing it down in my experiance.

Der Gabelschwanz Teufel
http://www.geocities.com/bs87cr/Sigfinal1.txt

CaptEasychord
03-22-2004, 07:27 PM
One cool thing you can test with CSP props in the game is, what i think is called prop loading, as well as the reaction time of the prop govenor.

Prop loading is when you 'max' out the prop pitch available - ie, set RPM to 3000, throttle to 20% and slow down as much as you can. The prop does act, (somewhat) like a fixed pitch prop.

You can overrev the engine for a brief period of time by diving from a high alt with 80-100% throttle, then after reaching a high speed engage WEP/(whatever). The RPM will overrev for a couple seconds then settle about 500 below - this is the prop governor, which is operated by oil pressure, taking a bit of time to compensate for the extra power. Kinda cool http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SodBuster43
03-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Here is onother one for you CSP guru's to mull over....

I believe that as air density decreases the angle of attack of the propeller must be increased to take a bigger "bite" of air in order to maintain propeller efficiency and forward airspeed.

Please explain to me how changes in air density will affect how a constant speed propeller functions and what adjustments should be made if any to compensate for this. Will the propeller pitch automatically change via the governor to maintain the desired engine RPM as originally set by the pilot via the prop control lever?

Is air density modeled in the game?

WUAF_Badsight
03-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Magnetos are on 1+2 by default when you spawn