PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions concerning the PC version of the game

PS19800
07-15-2014, 02:08 AM
Hi all....I am sure some of these questions have been answered, and if so, please feel free to post a redirecting link, or modify this as needed...

I have yet to play an AC game, and while waiting for DAI (Bioware), I was considering picking AC4 up, as it seems to be something different, and very interesting. I was going to purchase on Amazon (disc option, rather than download, if it is still available), or possibly via Steam, though Amazon was much cheaper.

My understanding with this game, and some concerns that I had are listed below..... If anyone has answers, Thanks! And if a duplicate post, which I am sure it is, my apologies!

Saved games --- this is a MAJOR concern of mine. I have read many stories online (various sites) of how the saved game progressed has reduced by double digit percentage points. Some even have posted that the manufacturers recommend a third party backup service! Is this accurate?!?! I just can not imagine a software company with no QA department that would erase saved games, or just not do it at all. Perhaps I misunderstood. If this is accurate, is there any way to prevent this? It makes no sense to purchase a game that does not save, or sets the user back hours, days, or even weeks for game play. I have no interest in a third party game backup service. When a company charges consumers >$30/$40/$50/$60 for a game, I expect that the local backups on the PC will be valid and current.

Saved games ---- Part 2: I read the this game saves along certain 'checkpoints', and that the user can not save at any point in time. Is this accurate? The games I am used to playing, I can save at any point, barring rare instances in the game that prohibit it.

Steam *AND* Uplay: I also understand this game requires Steam and Uplay. No concern with Steam, as many of my other games use it; but, two authentication systems? !?! That sounds like a pain. Is it? I also read that there were security flaws with Uplay. Accurate? if so, have they been fixed? If both are needed, any known conflicts? Also, I am often away from internet access. I know on Steam, it is possible to go offline, after the game has been validated at least once. Can Uplay do the same as well? Or is a connection always required?

Thanks to everyone who has read this!! Any other comments you feel would help me make the decision, please feel free to chime in!

guildwarsguy123
07-15-2014, 06:17 AM
Hi all....I am sure some of these questions have been answered, and if so, please feel free to post a redirecting link, or modify this as needed...

I have yet to play an AC game, and while waiting for DAI (Bioware), I was considering picking AC4 up, as it seems to be something different, and very interesting. I was going to purchase on Amazon (disc option, rather than download, if it is still available), or possibly via Steam, though Amazon was much cheaper.

My understanding with this game, and some concerns that I had are listed below..... If anyone has answers, Thanks! And if a duplicate post, which I am sure it is, my apologies!

Saved games --- this is a MAJOR concern of mine. I have read many stories online (various sites) of how the saved game progressed has reduced by double digit percentage points. Some even have posted that the manufacturers recommend a third party backup service! Is this accurate?!?! I just can not imagine a software company with no QA department that would erase saved games, or just not do it at all. Perhaps I misunderstood. If this is accurate, is there any way to prevent this? It makes no sense to purchase a game that does not save, or sets the user back hours, days, or even weeks for game play. I have no interest in a third party game backup service. When a company charges consumers >$30/$40/$50/$60 for a game, I expect that the local backups on the PC will be valid and current.

Saved games ---- Part 2: I read the this game saves along certain 'checkpoints', and that the user can not save at any point in time. Is this accurate? The games I am used to playing, I can save at any point, barring rare instances in the game that prohibit it.

Steam *AND* Uplay: I also understand this game requires Steam and Uplay. No concern with Steam, as many of my other games use it; but, two authentication systems? !?! That sounds like a pain. Is it? I also read that there were security flaws with Uplay. Accurate? if so, have they been fixed? If both are needed, any known conflicts? Also, I am often away from internet access. I know on Steam, it is possible to go offline, after the game has been validated at least once. Can Uplay do the same as well? Or is a connection always required?

Thanks to everyone who has read this!! Any other comments you feel would help me make the decision, please feel free to chime in!

Since this forum is dead as fuark for whatever reason, I will attempt to answer your concerns:

I have had AC4 for some time now through Amazon's download system (getting the key through amazon, not using amazon's crappy gaming service) and I have no had a problem with saves the entire game. HOWEVER: If you have a REALLY ****ty internet connection it may disrupt your saves as the game uses a cloud save service through Uplay. But I myself had no problems and am going to go back perhaps after completing 3's collectables, maybe before, to get all collectables. In any case, I think that save fiasco was a one time thing and you should have no problems.

Also part 2: Yeah you can't save at any time, but the game does save fairly often. Never caused me much trouble when I died and respawned as I was usually back in a place that was okay with me. Of course guards are going to respawn if you die though, just saying.

Also, Uplay isn't an issue with Steam. Just leave your Uplay logged in and it's like it's not even there when you launch the game.

You will require a connection to Uplay to play AC4 however as far as I know as you have to connect to Uplay services to launch the game. Other than that if you have a solid internet connection, you're good to go. Also once you have the game launched in my experience, the game doesn't just CUT OFF if you disconnect from the internet, so you could always just leave the game on until you reconnect and then you're good to go.

Honestly, here's the short of it:

Internet connection constantly or almost all of the time: BUY IT 10/10.

No internet most of the time and you wanna play it offline: Since there's no offline play with Uplay as far as I am aware, do not buy it.

Anykeyer
07-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Buggy cloud (evil me) storage used to make you lose save games sometimes. But this was "fixed" long ago by disabling cloud storage for this game
You cant save at any time but game constantly saves after almost every move.
Uplay is requred in all versions. Steam is only for Steam version.
You have to redeem your cdkey online but you can play offline. Offline mode is activated automatically when you lose connection or it can be forced in Uplay options. There are some restrictions through, you will lose access to actions/rewards/achievements system, Kenways Fleet mini-game, using tablet/phone as 2nd screen and community events.

YazX_
07-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Buggy cloud (evil me) storage used to make you lose save games sometimes. But this was "fixed" long ago by disabling cloud storage for this game
You cant save at any time but game constantly saves after almost every move.
Uplay is requred in all versions. Steam is only for Steam version.
You have to redeem your cdkey online but you can play offline. Offline mode is activated automatically when you lose connection or it can be forced in Uplay options. There are some restrictions through, you will lose access to actions/rewards/achievements system, Kenways Fleet mini-game, using tablet/phone as 2nd screen and community events.

^ this and i may add that you SHOULD always take manual backups of your saves from any game not only this, the auto-saving in this game is not an issue as those checkpoints are very frequent even in missions there are several saving checkpoints. also when free-roaming, most of things you do will trigger the game to save (collectibles, fighting, buying, Selling, Crafting,...)

Last about Steam and UPlay, i would recommend picking up a UPlay (non-steam) version of the game since you dont like to have two DRMs running at the same time, and you will always have the option to add the game to steam as non-steam game.

AntiChrist7
07-16-2014, 11:27 AM
never had a savegame problem in probably 300h of 7 AC games

(AC1, AC2, ACB, ACR, AC3, AC4, AC: liberation hd)

And yes, you dont need steam for the game, only uplay. I have one game (anno 2070) that goes through steam and Uplay, havent had a problem with it either