PDA

View Full Version : Sound Effects In Assassin's Creed?

Wolfmeister1010
07-13-2014, 09:35 PM
One of the reasons I love Assassin’s Creed is that it is able to be awesome in all categories, combat, gameplay, graphics, and music. However, one part of AC that has always bothered me are the sound effects.

In AC3 and 4, the sound effects for various things, such as explosions, gunshots, and melee weapons were quite awful. And the thing that really angers me about it is that they were better in the pre release demos. For example, the sound effects for the tomahawk in AC3 e3 demo were very very nice. They felt heavy and visceral
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgnOUQhpGvw

However, in the final game, the sound effects were altered and seemed to be higher pitched and less impactful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl1uQOfOxls

A similar kind of thing happened with AC4. In the stealth demo, the spanish officer pistols had an amazing sort of almost metallic clang effect to them that sounded AMAZING. 6:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBSfN2y3ZSQ

Yet..in the final game, the sound effect was the generic pistol effect that is the same for ALL THE PISTOLS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM7tAx4pYXA

In the ACU demo, the sound effects for the swords are nice, and the sound effect for the pistol at 3:35 is WONDERFUL. Deep, impactful, and echoing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5oCobhHCmw

However..I can’t help wondering if the same sort of downgrade will happen in ACU. How important are the sound effects to you? Do you agree with my opinion regarding the sound effects in AC3/4?

SixKeys
07-13-2014, 09:38 PM
The only game that has impressed me with its sound effects is AC1. AC3 comes second for its combat sounds. I don't care about the pistols, I just want the awesome sword clanging from AC1 back.

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 09:41 PM
AC1's sword clanging bothered me for a few reasons

1. you hear it before you get any weapons in Masyaf
2. why can't guards hear your clanging weapons before you come up to stab them?
3. same thing for your main targets

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 09:42 PM
AC3's combat sounds always felt awkward to me. Kinda crunchy.

But i liked the actual crunching sounds in snow.

I have to replay the others more to remember the SE's in those.

you know a fanbase is dedicated when they discuss sound effects :o

Shahkulu101
07-13-2014, 09:42 PM
When you were climbing up the mast during boarding it sounded like your crew and the soldiers were fighting with knife and fork rather than swords.

SixKeys
07-13-2014, 09:47 PM
AC1's sword clanging bothered me for a few reasons

1. you hear it before you get any weapons in Masyaf
2. why can't guards hear your clanging weapons before you come up to stab them?
3. same thing for your main targets

I was talking about the clanging of swords in battle, not the jingle-jangle of Altar's weapons when he walks. But those were great too.

Assassin_M
07-13-2014, 10:08 PM
The only game that has impressed me with its sound effects is AC1. AC3 comes second for its combat sounds. I don't care about the pistols, I just want the awesome sword clanging from AC1 back.
This..

ACfan443
07-13-2014, 10:12 PM

I loved that noise, but what I loved even more was the gory finishing slash, it was incredibly satisfying.

pacmanate
07-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Eh, doesn't the hidden blade go...

"CHIIIIIIING!"

I dont care about sound effects that much as long as they dont sound crap. By this I mean I can live with swords and pistols sounding the same.

Im not shouting at you guys, i just cant be bothered to change the font size back

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 10:18 PM
@pac

i was about to say... lol

Yeah the CHING sounds cartoonish at times but hey it's a traditional sound

AdamPearce
07-13-2014, 10:25 PM
AC1 on top as always :rolleyes:

The one that definitely needs to come back is the hidden blade assassination> https://soundcloud.com/allsoundsasscreed/assassination

Shahkulu101
07-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Oh Ching how we miss you!

Xstantin
07-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Speaking about the sound effects in general, I hope Unity has loud crowds since people revolting on the streets in AC III were way too quiet. The Tea Party was a snoozefest.

pacmanate
07-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Talking about Snoozfests. Has anyone noticed that with large amount of NPCS on screen there always seems to be an animation loop for every single one? Tea Party for example just has a loop of people fist punching the air at different times

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Yeah during Connor's execution, I could see like at least 20 of the same character models doing the same fist punching in sync at the same time in the crowd.

pacmanate
07-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Yeah during Connor's execution, I could see like at least 20 of the same character models doing the same fist punching in sync at the same time in the crowd.

This is why when Ubi boasts about 5000 npcs on screen I don't get excited, but the reverse. They say the scale of crowd adds immersion, that may be true but not if they all do the same animation loop.

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 10:47 PM
I actually thought the same thing.

I hope you can kill more civilians in this game.

if there's 5,000 npcs all around me i cant guarantee i wont accidentally kill one or two

but im sure if it's a big enough deal the playtesters will address that

pacmanate
07-13-2014, 10:49 PM
I actually thought the same thing.

I hope you can kill more civilians in this game.

if there's 5,000 npcs all around me i cant guarantee i wont accidentally kill one or two

but im sure if it's a big enough deal the playtesters will address that

I hope they implemented AI that actually makes them run AWAY from the fight as apposed to running around like headless chickens.

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 10:49 PM
AC1 on top as always :rolleyes:

The one that definitely needs to come back is the hidden blade assassination> https://soundcloud.com/allsoundsasscreed/assassination
god, no
glad it's gone

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 10:53 PM
@pac

Im pretty sure they'll run away properly. (kinda like how your assassin buddies run away from fights when theyre done their job in AC games).

I mean thats what the Unity footage showed.

Im worried more about the recycled faces than recycled animations.

AC3 had like the same old man face 50 times.

Wolfmeister1010
07-13-2014, 10:53 PM
I am VERYYY impressed by the sword clanging and effects in Unity. What about you guys?

^Some citizens run, others like to stay and watch the fight. People were violent back then haha. ALMOST as violent as us :p

Also, few things I noticed in the Unity demo I posted..attacking in rapid succession seems to disarm enemies, and when the enemies are suspicious of you and the meter fills up, there is a low reverberating bass effect that gets louder when you get closer to them. I LOVE it.

Xstantin
07-13-2014, 10:58 PM
^Some citizens run, others like to stay and watch the fight. People were violent back then haha. ALMOST as violent as us :p

There was a piece of concept art with pitchforks. Brutal pitchfork kills for NPC animations.

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 10:58 PM
@wolf

Oh god louder music when they notice you? scary.

link to source?

Wolfmeister1010
07-13-2014, 11:54 PM
In the AC unity e3 demo I posted. Around the time when he runs towards the enemies, and when he scales the wall to evade the other ones

SixKeys
07-14-2014, 12:32 AM
I wouldn't take details like that in demos to be reflective of the final product. AC4 demos had a lot of immersive details that didn't make it into the game.

JustPlainQuirky
07-14-2014, 12:36 AM
^oooooh Do tell.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-14-2014, 01:00 AM
I think sounds effects are pretty important. Sets most of the mood of the whole game :)

SixKeys
07-14-2014, 02:13 AM
^oooooh Do tell.

Mostly blending and NPC stuff. AC4's E3 demo was basically a slightly shorter version of Blackbeard's retirement party. When Edward started tailing a guy, he had interactive blending animations, similar to Connor in AC3. He would join a girl sitting on a bench, lean over her and whisper "You hang tight, love, I'll be back". Then he would move into a group of card players and act like he was part of their betting ring: "I'll be back for your coin later, lads." He walked past several NPCs with unique animations, like a dancing girl flirting with some sailors and a drunken pirate puking into a barrel. None of those little touches made it into the final game.

JustPlainQuirky
07-14-2014, 02:15 AM
Wait, there were touches like that in AC3?!??!

Why do I not remember this?? Hnghh

Jexx21
07-14-2014, 02:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that in either 3 or Black Flag Connor/Edward did actually talk in some blending moments..

Wolfmeister1010
07-14-2014, 02:19 AM
Mostly blending and NPC stuff. AC4's E3 demo was basically a slightly shorter version of Blackbeard's retirement party. When Edward started tailing a guy, he had interactive blending animations, similar to Connor in AC3. He would join a girl sitting on a bench, lean over her and whisper "You hang tight, love, I'll be back". Then he would move into a group of card players and act like he was part of their betting ring: "I'll be back for your coin later, lads." He walked past several NPCs with unique animations, like a dancing girl flirting with some sailors and a drunken pirate puking into a barrel. None of those little touches made it into the final game.

Well, to be fair, all of those little moments amount to ONE thing that was left out of AC4. Thats it. Other than that, it was extremely well representative of what the game was. Stealth, graphics, seamlessness, naval combat, all were exactly the same as the final game, and that was all that was shown in the demo. Although the character models were slightly better than final game.

SixKeys
07-14-2014, 02:20 AM
Wait, there were touches like that in AC3?!??!

Why do I not remember this?? Hnghh

In AC3 there are certain blend groups where Connor will assume a position that truly makes him blend in, instead of just awkwardly standing there. In front of a market stall he will sometimes act like he's looking at the merchandise, with his hand on his chin. If there are beggars sitting on the ground, he will sit down cross-legged. If there are guys leaning against a fence, he will hop on the fence and sit on it, just chillin'. There might be more.

Well, to be fair, all of those little moments amount to ONE thing that was left out of AC4. Thats it. Other than that, it was extremely well representative of what the game was. Stealth, graphics, seamlessness, naval combat, all were exactly the same as the final game, and that was all that was shown in the demo. Although the character models were slightly better than final game.

True, but people are quick to assume demos are representative of the final product. I still remember we had people complaining that in the Great Inagua demo when Edward is climbing up a wooden ladder, the sound of him grabbing the planks was too loud. "Ohhh God the sound design is gonna be terrible!!!" In the final game it was fine. I'm just saying it's too early at this stage to get excited over small details.

JustPlainQuirky
07-14-2014, 02:24 AM
oh right I remember those.

Calvarok
07-14-2014, 02:29 AM
Sound, like anything else in a game takes up power. I think we might see improvements to the sound design due to the extra power afforded by next-gen.

I kinda agree that AC's sound design has never been super amazing, but it's never bothered me that much. It's serviceable, not really offensive.

Jexx21
07-14-2014, 02:34 AM
to be fair, it's probably hard to make blending sequences like those, with audio like that.

Actually surprised it wasn't at least in the game itself though.

poptartz20
07-14-2014, 03:40 AM
True, but people are quick to assume demos are representative of the final product. I still remember we had people complaining that in the Great Inagua demo when Edward is climbing up a wooden ladder, the sound of him grabbing the planks was too loud. "Ohhh God the sound design is gonna be terrible!!!" In the final game it was fine. I'm just saying it's too early at this stage to get excited over small details.

Ohh.. yes. I remember this quite well. We have to be mindful that demos are exactly what they are DEMOs and anything is really subject to change.

YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK.

Locopells
07-14-2014, 12:33 PM

Actually, the second time I played through that mission, Edward DID actually sit down with the betting ring. No audio, sure, but if you get placement exactly right...

Megas_Doux
07-14-2014, 04:07 PM
I value them!

And that is why AC Is sound effects and edition are the best ones to date! You really feel next to Altair at whatever he does!

roostersrule2
07-14-2014, 04:33 PM
I don't really notice, they could be better but there are games out there with much worse sound design.

Sushiglutton
07-14-2014, 04:51 PM
I believe souind effects matters a lot, but I'm unfortunately not good enough to really notice and have a strong opinion. Since I knew Battlefield is supposed to have great sound design I paid extra attention and it's indeed awesome. Most of it is subconcious for me though. But I think it has a significant impact on how satisfying various moves feel to perform and how good various weapons feel to fire.

MasterAssasin84
07-14-2014, 06:23 PM
I really loved the sound of the Hidden Blade Ejecting when Black Flags first game play trailer was launched

<font size="2">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs8612GKQj4

I think Assassins Creed Black Flags gameplay movie really had some amazing sound effects from the sound Of Edwards sword's sliding out their Scabbards to the Hidden Blade entering the upper chest of a guard ! that part you could really here the flesh being penetrated which complimented Edwards deadly fighting skills .

WendysBrioche
07-14-2014, 08:16 PM
I definately agree. Ever since the first game, AC 1, I was astounded by the quality of the sword sound effects. It just had a clang that echoed perfectly.

The games after that sorta changed this in favor of a slightly more arcadish type which I couldn't stand. This said, some of the original quality was still there so it wasn't entirely bad.

I also agree that the last two games were particularly lack luster in there sound effects. It could've been better.

The sounds for AC Unity though, seem great. I'll be rather upset if in the final game it gets downgraded to an arcade style type of sound, or something cartoonish. It really breaks the immersiveness of the game and makes it less believable. I don't want it to feel like just a video game, I want it to seem as real as possible.