PDA

View Full Version : Ride Carriages in Assassins Creed?

WendysBrioche
07-13-2014, 12:21 AM
I think we should be able to ride carriages in Assassins Creed. We can already ride horses, so why not?

We could do it in AC 2, and it could make for several new missions/activites. Steal food, supplies, weapons, art/relics from the Vatican. Templar gold, etc.

I think they should totoally do it. Cause it could have tons of implementations.

And there's no end to the absurd amount of features that could be added to this game.

And I'm a spoiled BRAT.

Ya know, ya know, YA KNOW? ;)

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 12:22 AM
ACTUALLY in the "Making of AC: Unity" video there was a carriage.

NOT ONLY THAT but the door (or window or whatever) was very wide and looked like it could be climbed into.

Let me rewatch the video to make sure Im not seeing things

Calvarok
07-13-2014, 12:24 AM
would be a good moving hide spot

WendysBrioche
07-13-2014, 12:26 AM
ACTUALLY in the "Making of AC: Unity" video there was a carriage.

NOT ONLY THAT but the door (or window or whatever) was very wide and looked like it could be climbed into.

Let me rewatch the video to make sure Im not seeing things

Ya, I saw that too in the IGN dev diary. That's what I was hoping for. Lol XD

would be a good moving hide spot

It could also be used for fast travel.

Pay for a ride, and it could be like red dead where you can watch the whole thing or press A/X to sleep till you arrive at your destination. It's a great time in the series to add such a feature, what with 6 games that didn't, and it could be much more immersive than using viewpoints as fast travel stations.

And could avoid more unpleseant methods like AC 3's tunnel system. Was such a drag. :P That would've been cooler as a sort of underground black market thing but it was just a lonely set of caves. So headache to get through.

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Here's the carriage

http://i.imgur.com/TNzYsiV.png

looks like a cloth is covering it or something so you can jump inside to hide.

Let me see if I can find a better perspective

edit:

Here it is. Ehhh looks vaguely enter-able. But could very well not be.

http://i.imgur.com/1oXy86X.png

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's enter-able as a hiding spot.

WendysBrioche
07-13-2014, 12:34 AM
Here's the carriage

http://i.imgur.com/TNzYsiV.png

looks like a cloth is covering it or something so you can jump inside to hide.

Let me see if I can find a better perspective

edit:

Here it is. Ehhh looks vaguely enter-able. But could very well not be.

http://i.imgur.com/1oXy86X.png

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's enter-able as a hiding spot.

Ya, that looks like it could go either way. Ah it would just be so awesome though. :p

I remember seeing another part of the video where it was driving past and npc, and the npc slid out of the way without falling over. Looks like they have a bit of work to do before release. :p

Shahkulu101
07-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Templar game with customizable horse and carriage.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Ben-Stiller-Is-Retro-Do-It-Reaction-Gif.gif

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Templar game with customizable horse and carriage.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Ben-Stiller-Is-Retro-Do-It-Reaction-Gif.gif

And your own personal carriage driver :cool:

Edit: I really like that idea of Carriage fast travel

WendysBrioche
07-13-2014, 01:00 AM

Ikr. It would fit in so well with the one big city they've created. Or a future game. Whenever they might actually make it. :p

Matknapers18
07-13-2014, 01:39 AM
This reminded me of those early AC:Unity leaks. There was a carriage in one screenshot. It looks like you could possibly enter it?

http://www.game-saga.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/assassins-creed-unity-screen-4.jpg

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 01:42 AM
This reminded me of those early AC:Unity leaks. There was a carriage in one screenshot. It looks like you could possibly enter it?

http://www.game-saga.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/assassins-creed-unity-screen-4.jpg

I completely forgot about that.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/513/984/ba6.gif

That door/window looks so wide...and inviting...

But there's no Horse or driver there I can see..

Calvarok
07-13-2014, 01:43 AM

What do you mean give them the benefit of the doubt? they haven't confirmed or even hinted at it or anything else relating to hide-spots. just because the carriage model isn't a solid block doesn't mean we'll necessarily be able to go in.

And if we're just guessing here, I'd imagine the whole idea of hide spots is being greatly de-emphasized in favor of using either crowd cover or blocking line of sight with the stealth mode cover system.

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 01:46 AM
What do you mean give them the benefit of the doubt? they haven't confirmed or even hinted at it or anything else relating to hide-spots. just because the carriage model isn't a solid block doesn't mean we'll necessarily be able to go in.

And if we're just guessing here, I'd imagine the whole idea of hide spots is being greatly de-emphasized in favor of using either crowd cover or blocking line of sight with the stealth mode cover system.

not all areas will have tons of crowds. weve seen such examples in the 'IGN Unity' video.

And I know they havent hinted anything.

I'm still giving them benefit of the doubt anyway.

I think stealth mode will be mostly reserved for indoors or places without carriages anyway

Calvarok
07-13-2014, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't take the crowd density of a shot taken from a development testing mode as an accurate portrayal of in-game crowd density.

and I'm just saying "benefit of the doubt" implies that they've promised us carriages as hide spots. just don't want you to get your hopes up when this is still just speculation.

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 02:04 AM
lol

not like I will rage if the carriages arent ride-able.

They could save that for the templar game, yo. :cool:

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 02:05 AM
during night sequences the crowd better be less dense, in fact the crowd should barely be there at all.

Matknapers18
07-13-2014, 02:07 AM
I completely forgot about that.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/513/984/ba6.gif

That door/window looks so wide...and inviting...

But there's no Horse or driver there I can see..

True. But it's only pre-alpha, there's bound to be a bunch of stuff missing. Or perhaps this carriage is similar to the one outside of Homestead manor in AC3. It serves as a fast travel point?

Or to make an even bolder theory, what if the building pictured, is the new Homestead/ Monterrigioni/ Great Inagua? It lacks evidence, but that is a big building. Plus it's pretty fancy, not the standard, small rundown house we saw in the E3 gameplay. It's just a guess. It's got a fountain as well.

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 02:10 AM
I doubt it.

I think it's just a big building for a mission. :p

WendysBrioche
07-13-2014, 02:20 AM
not all areas will have tons of crowds. weve seen such examples in the 'IGN Unity' video.

And I know they havent hinted anything.

I'm still giving them benefit of the doubt anyway.

I think stealth mode will be mostly reserved for indoors or places without carriages anyway

That's another idea. That'd be pretty sweet if, during a chase you could cut into a building and hide while the guards go off in another direction.

Ubi has made the bold claim that, "One in Four buildings will be enter-able", which I rather doubt, but if so, why not use them as hiding spots?

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 02:25 AM
bold claim?

In all honesty it wouldn't be that hard to do compared to what they have been doing. All they would need to do is take the current system they have where they create different kinds of buildings, create interiors for them, and then just copy+paste them around the environment. It's just that the engine can more easily do that due to the increase in hardware quality.

Calvarok
07-13-2014, 02:35 AM
Jexx, nothing I saw in the e3 demo looks especially copy-pasted. there are obvious templates being used, of course, but the object distribution and detail looked very in-depth, and stuff like the guard post arno snuck into obviously has to account for level design/stealth paths.

This game has been worked on for four years, I'd imagine it wasn't a quick thing for them to implement extensive interiors.

The homestead/villa equivalent this time is a revolutionary cafe. so I doubt that's it.

WendysBrioche
07-13-2014, 02:39 AM
bold claim?

In all honesty it wouldn't be that hard to do compared to what they have been doing. All they would need to do is take the current system they have where they create different kinds of buildings, create interiors for them, and then just copy+paste them around the environment. It's just that the engine can more easily do that due to the increase in hardware quality.

I've never seen it done in a game with as many buildings as Assassin's Creed. If it happens, I will be absolutely mind-blown and impressed beyond anything a game has shown me so far.

Keep in mind they have to design all the clutter and arrange every room so that each is different form the other. If each room is identical, it'll get old pretty quick. I'm excited to here them say something like that tho, I think it'll be definately more than we've seen in any previous Assassins game.

O.O. Jexx just got banned. Like this second. What did he do? O.O

Calvarok
07-13-2014, 03:08 AM
yeah, if you find yourself asking "how hard could it be" about adding features to a video game, more often than not it's pretty damn hard.

doesn't show up as banned to me

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 03:13 AM
I was talking about the basic buildings, not the landmarks. A lot of them are usually the same design used throughout the cities.

WendysBrioche
07-13-2014, 03:15 AM
yeah, if you find yourself asking "how hard could it be" about adding features to a video game, more often than not it's pretty damn hard.

doesn't show up as banned to me

Agreed.

And huh, that's wierd. All his posts are deleted on mine, yet I realize he just posted in another thread. That's wierd.

I was talking about the basic buildings, not the landmarks. A lot of them are usually the same design used throughout the cities.

No, I agree. It's just interiors tend to carry a lot of detail compared to exterior. Filling them all out is 25% the workload on top of what they already have I think. It is within the range of possibilty, I just have my doubts as to whether it'll actually come off that way. O.O And, welcome back. :D

prince162010
07-13-2014, 04:05 AM

Reminds me of Haytham Kenway at the beggining of AC3 , lol :D

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 04:07 AM
Reminds me of Haytham Kenway at the beggining of AC3 , lol :D

That's what I was going for. :rolleyes:

HDinHB
07-13-2014, 04:11 AM
It could also be used for fast travel.

Pay for a ride, and it could be like red dead where you can watch the whole thing or press A/X to sleep till you arrive at your destination.

That was a clever way to handle it. In AC2, they had carriages at the fast travel stations, but they never showed the travel like RDR did. They have had working carriages in several of the games, so it would be a good add here.

Maybe Arno can tie a hot air balloon to one and reprise Ezio's parasailing adventure from ACR.

Calvarok
07-13-2014, 04:11 AM
you're speaking like you've been inside each one and compared them. from the examples we've seen of the smaller and less important ones, they have quite a bit of detail and variety.

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 04:22 AM
Still that's basically a case of having a bunch of identical pieces of furniture but arranging them differently in each interior.

I'm not saying it's not time consuming, just that it isn't really a "bold claim," as it's not really "hard" to do that or figure out how to do it. It's just that before the next-gen hardware it would have been difficult for current-gen consoles to render it all.

ze_topazio
07-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Drivable carriages desperately need to happen, carriage races too.

Sushiglutton
07-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the love of good game design Nooooooooooo!

Ubisoft are horrendous, absolutely horrendous at implementing mini-mechanics like that. The carriage race in Revelation still hurts with its awfullness. Focus on the three pillars, get them right. Don't make anything else whatsoever! Thank you very much for your understanding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsVxVzRIRx8#t=319

Brrrrrrr makes me feel sick. The ugliness starts at 5:15!

Edit: actually it starts at 2:30, because the first mini-mechanic is also offensive. But this thread is about carriages!

Farlander1991
07-13-2014, 03:05 PM
I actually enjoyed the carriage sequence in the beginning of ACR, sue me :p (as I have enjoyed all ACB vehicle action sequences and AC2 carriage/flying machine stuff).

The one at the end of ACR was very 'wtf' though.

But I do agree that the core pillars are important to focus on first, Ezio's trilogy had those sequences to diversify the gameplay, but the core gameplay in Ezio's trilogy was also not exactly top-notch.

And then in later games if the core is fleshed out with ACU, then additional mechanics/sequences can be brought in.

Shahkulu101
07-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Focus on the three pillars, get them right. Don't make anything else whatsoever! Thank you very much for your understanding!

Naval says hello.

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 04:17 PM
I also enjoyed the carriage stuff at the beginning of ACR...

Also, naval was amazing.

So I disagree with Sushiglutton.

pacmanate
07-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Maybe Carriages are used for fast travel now instead of underground tunnels?

Also you can ride horses with carriages in Lego Lord of the Rings so you should be able too in AC

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 04:20 PM
I liked the carriage sequences. *climbs under a rock*

ze_topazio
07-13-2014, 04:22 PM
You people are always talking about immersion(which to most of you apparently means realism), in a time when carriages were everywhere and one of the main methods of transportation, not being able to control them is rather immersion breaking.

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 04:24 PM
True. It is kind of like a set piece, but you do actually have more control than the usual one.

It's not amazing by any means, but they did their job at making me focused and wanting to beat the heck out of the other carriage rider.

could always use a few tweaks tho as you say

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Mayrice, the carriage riding sequence was full out a set piece.

ze_topazio
07-13-2014, 04:28 PM
My interest on carriage races comes from the fact that Read Dead Redemption had them and they were kind of fun.

DumbGamerTag94
07-13-2014, 04:40 PM
If carriages are implemented like Red Dead as a drivable/rideable vehicle alternative to a horse I would be perfectly fine with that. Even throw races in there too cuz that's kinda cool. But if they put carriages in as 1-2 side mission bumper car crap like ACR count me out. That would be terrible. I hated that part if ACR. Especially the end with the parachute wow that was bad!

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 04:47 PM
I havent played RDR.

Dont have a last gen console. Q-Q

Im missing out on good carriage physics

#andagoodgame

DumbGamerTag94
07-13-2014, 04:49 PM
I havent played RDR.

Dont have a last gen console. Q-Q

Im missing out on good carriage physics

#andagoodgame
Yes yes you are. REALLYYYY missing out. What a shame

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Eh. Maybe RDR will eventually come to PC or we'll see RDR2 in the future.

Or worst case scenario, I play it on Playstation Now at an expensive price

Ureh
07-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Hey as long as we get to run over guards (and civilians) then maybe it could work.

ze_topazio
07-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Eh. Maybe RDR will eventually come to PC

http://thehugginsisbi.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/haha-no_thumb.gif?w=500&h=250

ze_topazio
07-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Hey as long as we get to run over guards (and civilians) then maybe it could work.

Warning: Arno did not hit and run civilians

Sushiglutton
07-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Listen to the fans Ubi and make a full blown carriage racing game! Apparently you can just reuse the mechanics from Revelation, by most considered the most enjoyable form of gameplay ever invented. Maybe add a bit of customization so we can choose the color of the carriage. Awesome! Wonderful! Can not wait! Glorious! With fans like these you don't need any templars!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ08d_yYckjWBs7vwih98ym4iBKSVA_G mljpaPUtLURWhqXK4CzlA

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 07:51 PM
I dont want a full blown carriage racing game until I get my full blown AC fighting game :p

@ze

You never know! Q-Q

Sushiglutton
07-13-2014, 07:56 PM
i dont want a full blown carriage racing game until i get my full blown ac fighting game :p

Yeah let's expand the barfighting in ac4:bf into a full game. Sound hysterically fun!!!!!!!!!! Omg omg amazing!

I-Like-Pie45
07-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Mayrice, it's been four years

If Rockstar wanted to make a PC version they would've done so by now

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 08:02 PM
@sushi

naa i want a REAL AC fighting game. a competative one :cool:

@Pie

*sobs* but but but

Xstantin
07-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Yeah let's expand the barfighting in ac4:bf into a full game. Sound hysterically fun!!!!!!!!!! Omg omg amazing!

Fighting on top of a carriage bumping into rocks like Revelations sequence sounds even better.

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 08:20 PM
you're so fun to be around

Farlander1991
07-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Sushi, don't take this the wrong way, but... are you drunk? :p I don't remember seeing you so strongly reacting to smth :p :D

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 08:22 PM
farlander i think I still want to have your babies

no homo

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 08:29 PM
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120922113943/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/1/14/Boy-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 08:31 PM
mayrice your sig is disgusting

Sushiglutton
07-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Sushi, don't take this the wrong way, but... are you drunk? :p I don't remember seeing you so strongly reacting to smth :p :D

Haha not at all. I'm not being that serious. Just joking around a bit :p. I do think the carriage sections in Revelations were real poor, so I guess I'm a little suprised.

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 08:57 PM
The carriage sections were pretty bad and could have been FAR better yes.

but I got a kick outta them

dont think they actually need their own game tho lol.

#butidowantafightinggamesobadly

HDinHB
07-13-2014, 11:20 PM
The carriage sections were pretty bad and could have been FAR better yes.

but I got a kick outta them

dont think they actually need their own game tho lol.

#butidowantafightinggamesobadly

Yeah, they were awful, but made me laugh so hard. Especially when parasailing Ezio was bouncing off the side of every building. LOLZ! Immersive? No. Fun? Hell yes!

PS. There is a fighting game in the basement in Brotherhood.

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 11:25 PM
the only good one was at the beginning of the game

Shahkulu101
07-13-2014, 11:27 PM
The one in AC2 was the best because it was AC2.

JustPlainQuirky
07-13-2014, 11:38 PM
@HD

Im not talking about some fighting minigame.

Im talking like smash bros or ninja storm yo.

Locopells
07-14-2014, 01:24 AM
Yeah, they were awful, but made me laugh so hard. Especially when parasailing Ezio was bouncing off the side of every building. LOLZ! Immersive? No. Fun? Hell yes!

That's what I always say!

SixKeys
07-14-2014, 02:16 AM
That parachuting scene was one of the lowest points in the series.

HDinHB
07-14-2014, 02:42 AM
That parachuting scene was one of the lowest points in the series.

Naw, there were a few worse ,but I can't think of any funnier.

SixKeys
07-14-2014, 02:46 AM
Naw, there were a few worse ,but I can't think of any funnier.

Ezio as a minstrel was funnier.

Jexx21
07-14-2014, 02:55 AM
worst moments in AC are still when in AC2 you fall from a building and die and a bunch of minstrels run up and sing at your corpse

JustPlainQuirky
07-14-2014, 02:56 AM
Why do the devs always have people who harrass you? just to troll? :rolleyes:

beggars
ministrels
kids

y

HDinHB
07-14-2014, 03:20 AM
Ezio as a minstrel was funnier.

That was a good chuckle, true. But, for me, not as laugh out loud funny. Besides, they meant for the minstrel bit. There's a small chance the parasailing was supposed to be played straight, but that just makes it even funnier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vpc98rsQj4&feature=youtu.be&t=5m15s

ACfan443
07-14-2014, 03:20 AM
The kids in AC3 were somehow even more aggravating than the lepers in AC1. It was that demonic, acutely distressing, insufferable laughter.

"Ha ha ha ha, woh woh woh, ha ha ha!"

Sad part was you couldn't even kill them.

HDinHB
07-14-2014, 03:22 AM
worst moments in AC are still when in AC2 you fall from a building and die and a bunch of minstrels run up and sing at your corpse

LOL, as many times as I fell in AC2 I don't remember that!

I thought the crazy guys in AC1 were the worst until the kids showed up. I think they are just there to bring you to the attention of the guards, and to annoy you. I was happy to see by AC4 the guys carrying boxes had finally learned to avoid walking in front of you, instead of swerving right in front of you.

Speaking of rude behavior attracting guards on the street:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u1kOvepicg&feature=youtu.be&t=14m45s

Calvarok
07-14-2014, 03:32 AM
Why do the devs always have people who harrass you? just to troll? :rolleyes:

beggars
ministrels
kids

y
Always? is Black Flag nonexistent then? :P

it came out of the original idea that you needed to be careful around the crowd and learn to deal with those harassers in a way that wouldn't call attention to you.

Synchrossassin
07-14-2014, 06:52 AM
That would Be So Awesome and REALLY I Would Honestly Say that I would have to EXPECT to be ABLE to do so, like either hop-in real quick as a hiding spot, or pay the driver to go to a certain place on the map and it could be used in so many ways such as sneaking into a certain area undetected or getting closer to a specific assassination target..literally SO MANY GAMEPLAY Improvements from Just One Thing, One THING!! I am going to be pissed if you can't. NO, YOU ALL KNOW WHAT?!?! I'm going to call it, OF COURSE Ubisoft is going to make them interactive, they know every detail they're putting into this game and so I'm sure while putting these moving carriages in the game, it ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE crossed the minds of many of the map/game designers/developers..like I'm sure they thought, 'Hmm let's put all these moving carriages in the game to make it look and feel like Paris. But, should we let players enter them? Use them? In this New-gen-Exclusive ASSASSIN's Creed game? Nahhh that wouldn't be a good idea, might make the game too easy or some other legit reason like that" NO this feature, this mechanic MUST have crossed the designer's minds and since you can enter about 1/4 of the buildings in the city, it would be silly, Neigh it would be Downright Pathetic to include them in the game and be Unusable..they will be usable, let's make it official that Carriages will be a new moving hiding spot. Obviously the consoles have the power to enable such a thing, it's basically the same thing as the horse-pulled carts of hay in AC3 except with added modeling of a carriage covering the top without the hay inside lol So YES they will be a game mechanic YAYY :D k i'll shut up now, sorry for the rant everybody :/ just so exciting..damnit..and I promised myself not to be.. haha

JustPlainQuirky
07-14-2014, 06:57 AM
yeah it enrages me to no end there's no way to kill the kids.

goes to show Connor gets bullied even by children.

@calvarok

there werent any in ACIV? hm

Locopells
07-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Well, you could trip mine them to make them go away for a few seconds - if you were fast, you could get away before they respawned...

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Or you can accidentally push them in the water *evil grin*

pacmanate
07-14-2014, 06:16 PM
or throw those massive wife beaters at them, until it was patched -_-

Locopells
07-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Eh?

WendysBrioche
07-14-2014, 07:13 PM
If carriages are implemented like Red Dead as a drivable/rideable vehicle alternative to a horse I would be perfectly fine with that. Even throw races in there too cuz that's kinda cool. But if they put carriages in as 1-2 side mission bumper car crap like ACR count me out. That would be terrible. I hated that part if ACR. Especially the end with the parachute wow that was bad!

I actually don't get this. I thought the carriage sequences were great, especially the parachute one from Revelations. I thought it was good fun lol. :p

I would love for missions like that to be implemented in Unity. :p

JustPlainQuirky
07-14-2014, 07:24 PM
if we get carriages like RDR i hope we can launch ourselves to the sky and fly. :rolleyes:

WendysBrioche
07-14-2014, 07:43 PM
if we get carriages like RDR i hope we can launch ourselves to the sky and fly. :rolleyes:

Lol I remember that XD

Locopells
07-15-2014, 12:05 AM
What, like Batman?!

WendysBrioche
07-15-2014, 08:06 PM
What, like Batman?!

It was an old glitch in Red Dead. When you togggled in and out of cover, it would shoot your player into the air. I think it worked with the carriages too.