PDA

View Full Version : Hope they do Siege right...competition coming for original R6 style games

Pest_AWC
07-02-2014, 07:30 PM
I really hope UBI comes through this time when they claim "return to our roots" for R6 Siege. They claimed that for "Vegas" and we ended up with respawning multi-colored mercenaries running around with magical 3rd person views and health regen.

There is competition coming:

Due Process:

http://games.on.net/2014/07/due-process-is-a-tactical-multiplayer-fps-designed-as-an-homage-to-rainbow-six-and-swat-4/

Intruder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qjJ_d3xn6o4

Intruder even has WORKING DOORS and WINDOWS in their pre-pre alpha! Siege doesn't have that!

xBeanieBoy
07-02-2014, 08:11 PM
They do both look good. I like the shooting mechanics on Due Process a lot

Pest_AWC
07-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Holy Crap!

Intruder has partial and fluid door opening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOeX5g-n6kw#t=46

No game has had this since Ravenshield!!!!

I really hope Siege programmers are good enough to add this back to R6!

shobhit7777777
07-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Holy Crap!

Intruder has partial and fluid door opening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOeX5g-n6kw#t=46

No game has had this since Ravenshield!!!!

I really hope Siege programmers are good enough to add this back to R6!

Dude...this is like the 5th ignorant post I've seen you make regarding the capabilities of game devs AND jumping to conclusions based on little to no info.

Its not just a matter of the programmers being "good enough" and simply typing up a page of code which then magically summons fluid door opening. Its a major task. I'd like fluid stances and door opening as much as you.....but please be respectful and not make such stupid statements. You're part of the legacy R6 fraternity and quite frankly - being a fellow member - its embarassing.

That said

Intruder looks brilliant! Fantastic gameplay from the looks of it - hand signals, misdirection, voice comms...balance!....definitely loving the sim elements

Pest_AWC
07-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Dude...this is like the 5th ignorant post I've seen you make regarding the capabilities of game devs AND jumping to conclusions based on little to no info.

Its not just a matter of the programmers being "good enough" and simply typing up a page of code which then magically summons fluid door opening. Its a major task. I'd like fluid stances and door opening as much as you.....but please be respectful and not make such stupid statements. You're part of the legacy R6 fraternity and quite frankly - being a fellow member - its embarassing.

That said

Intruder looks brilliant! Fantastic gameplay from the looks of it - hand signals, misdirection, voice comms...balance!....definitely loving the sim elements

Actually, I've made more than 30 similar statements if you count the Vegas forums...and I stand by them.

I was programming 6510 machine language back in the late 80's and have managed programmers for Fortune 500 companies since then. I am well aware of the difficulty and bug squashing that has to go into making fluid door opening and stances work in a game. I am also well aware of the complete waste of money and resources that UBI puts into cinematics and motion capture because they would rather produce movies than a tactical game with depth. UBI had a fraction of the people working on Ravenshield than they did Vegas but still couldn't build in the functionality Ravenshield had? That's just poor decisions. Sure, they added Rapelling, but they couldn't keep the realistic features of Ravenshield? They were also too busy adding in the magical 3rd person view that nobody asked for.

I just hope that they don't get so caught up in programming destructible environments that they leave off the core features from past games.

Dome500
07-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Those games really look great. They are surely some titles to keep an eye on.

As far as Ubisoft goes, I agree with Shobit about you being not that respectful and speaking about a game we do yet little know about.
On the other hand I agree that some decisions made by Ubisoft developer within the last decade made you scratch your head.
With so much talent and good ideas it is often strange that games are released in a pitiful state (especially PC ports) or that ideas are not realized as they were supposed to be.

Anyway, all we can do is hope and keep our eyes out - for all 3 of those games.

Pest_AWC
07-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Those games really look great. They are surely some titles to keep an eye on.

As far as Ubisoft goes, I agree with Shobit about you being not that respectful and speaking about a game we do yet little know about.
On the other hand I agree that some decisions made by Ubisoft developer within the last decade made you scratch your head.
With so much talent and good ideas it is often strange that games are released in a pitiful state (especially PC ports) or that ideas are not realized as they were supposed to be.

Anyway, all we can do is hope and keep our eyes out - for all 3 of those games.

I won't show respect for them, until they show respect for us.

They didn't even give us the chance to discuss Vegas because the game was finalized before they announced it.

At least with Siege, we have a chance to be heard before the game is finalized. Unfortunately, this isn't the days of Ravenshield where the real developers of the game would come in here and interact with us. They took the time to explain things like the decision to not have something as realistic as "bullet drop" over distances because too many players would complain that the game was bugged. We've been screwed over too many times by Ubi Montreal and until they man-up and come in here and talk to us they will get exactly the amount of respect I am giving them.

They need to quit hiding behind "it's top secret" and holding back info until they trickle it out to whatever web site or magazine posts a pro-UBI article that leaves off critical questions about the game.

Right now, it's a one-way street. We provide feedback, the moderators pass it on, and we hear NOTHING back. How much respect does that deserve?

shobhit7777777
07-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Actually, I've made more than 30 similar statements if you count the Vegas forums...and I stand by them.

I was programming 6510 machine language back in the late 80's and have managed programmers for Fortune 500 companies since then. I am well aware of the difficulty and bug squashing that has to go into making fluid door opening and stances work in a game. I am also well aware of the complete waste of money and resources that UBI puts into cinematics and motion capture because they would rather produce movies than a tactical game with depth. UBI had a fraction of the people working on Ravenshield than they did Vegas but still couldn't build in the functionality Ravenshield had? That's just poor decisions. Sure, they added Rapelling, but they couldn't keep the realistic features of Ravenshield? They were also too busy adding in the magical 3rd person view that nobody asked for.

I just hope that they don't get so caught up in programming destructible environments that they leave off the core features from past games.

I SERIOUSLY doubt you know much about game development based on your perception of how it goes down. I also am a bit surprised that being a programmer you don't have much empathy for your game dev brethren.

Also, let me point out that a lack of respect doesn't equate to outright insulting folks as you've been doing. Your respect is yours to give, but insulting behaviour is simply not civilized or warranted....and quite frankly were I a developer at UbiMontreal - I'd be justified to ignore you.

All I'll say is that Vegas had different priorities. Fluid door closing not being one. Whether you like it or not is an entirely different matter.

Micro-destruction and the increased mobility of the operators is EASILY the best thing to happen to R6.....it falls in line with R6 fantasy. Fluid door opening is a nice to have feature.....but it represents a small slice of CT gameplay. RvS - I love that game - didn't entirely deliver on that front.

Furthermore, we don't know much yet about the game....perhaps wait for more info before pulling out the war drums?

Pest_AWC
07-05-2014, 05:09 AM
I SERIOUSLY doubt you know much about game development based on your perception of how it goes down. I also am a bit surprised that being a programmer you don't have much empathy for your game dev brethren.

Also, let me point out that a lack of respect doesn't equate to outright insulting folks as you've been doing. Your respect is yours to give, but insulting behaviour is simply not civilized or warranted....and quite frankly were I a developer at UbiMontreal - I'd be justified to ignore you.

All I'll say is that Vegas had different priorities. Fluid door closing not being one. Whether you like it or not is an entirely different matter.

Micro-destruction and the increased mobility of the operators is EASILY the best thing to happen to R6.....it falls in line with R6 fantasy. Fluid door opening is a nice to have feature.....but it represents a small slice of CT gameplay. RvS - I love that game - didn't entirely deliver on that front.

Furthermore, we don't know much yet about the game....perhaps wait for more info before pulling out the war drums?

It is because I do know how it goes down that I am voicing my opinions now, and not waiting (like you) for the game mechanics to be finalized and that info to be spoon fed to us when it is too late to change anything.

I do respect the coders. I do not respect the people in charge that ignore the R6 books and first 3 games and just slap the R6 name on whatever shooter they want to. I also do not respect them for lack of communication in these forums.

Vegas had different priorities? Yes, and they were in no way aligned with the R6 books or first 3 games of the series.

Dirtymurph
07-05-2014, 06:46 PM
I should have known you were a programmer.

HilbillyRokstar
07-08-2014, 02:48 AM
These aren't even the same programmers. I am glad to hear others commenting on what I have been saying for years. No offense...but they don't owe you anything in terms of game development. I hope it turns out well...and the best way to accomplish that is to speak with the same type of tone you would want to be addressed in. Save your criticism until you have something to criticize them for. So far..the majority of what I've seen is night and day better than anything else available anywhere!

Pest_AWC
07-08-2014, 03:33 PM
These aren't even the same programmers. I am glad to hear others commenting on what I have been saying for years. No offense...but they don't owe you anything in terms of game development. I hope it turns out well...and the best way to accomplish that is to speak with the same type of tone you would want to be addressed in. Save your criticism until you have something to criticize them for. So far..the majority of what I've seen is night and day better than anything else available anywhere!

I don't care where these programmers came from, I respect them, my problem is with those in charge that have taken the game in the wrong direction with everything done after Ravenshield.

I will not "save my criticism" until the code is final. That's just plain stupid.

True, they don't "owe me anything". That doesn't mean I won't let them know what they have done wrong in the past and what they need to do right in the future if they want my money.

HilbillyRokstar
07-08-2014, 04:15 PM
It just seems to me and others you are getting the cart in front of the horse and blaming the current team for the mistakes of others. I'm sure it's done out of frustration. I just think you should take a step back and assess the situation before you start doling out the harsh comments and disrespect. Why is that so hard? It's really not asking too much.... I'm sure most on here and elsewhere would agree. For the record..I'm sure plenty of people agree with what you're saying..just not how you're saying it.

Pest_AWC
07-08-2014, 07:28 PM
It's the leadership I blame, and it's been UBI Montreal each time, so my blame is in the right place.

I am not going to sugar coat the horrible direction UBI has taken since Ravenshield and their complete lack of communication with the fans in these forums.

Don't worry about me hurting their feelings. They have ignored what the fans of the game have said and requested for years.

Dome500
07-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Don't worry about me hurting their feelings. They have ignored what the fans of the game have said and requested for years.

That's what he is talking about.

Maybe "they" in this case are others than they were before.
Just make sure you do not sound too angry because then people are often ignored non the less.

I'm just saying, talk about R6V and their developers and the higher ups at Ubisoft how you want, but don't judge those developers now before you haven't seen how it turns out.
It's pre-alpha and we do not know a lot about it yet, so lets hope for the best and voice our concerns (yes, I am not against voicing concerns, I'm only against doing it in a harsh tone).