PDA

View Full Version : Guards Investigate after murders

WendysBrioche
06-18-2014, 11:15 PM
This is just a small problem that's been in most of the assassins creed games I think. Its just a little immersion breaking for me how in most of the games you can just kill a guard and just stand there without having to worry about any of the citizens running away to call more guards to the scene and take down the murderer. Considering the games based mostly on the idea of stealth it would be within scope if making a mess of things would penalize the player by adding more conflict and guards to the scene, making the area unsafe for the player after a certain period of time.

Maybe there should be like a 30 to 80 second safe period until more guards can show up, and if the players still around, they'll start investigating and searching for the assassin.

Just a feature I think should eventually be added to the games to make a more lively and reactive environment. I don't think its as pertinent a feature for Unity, as the whole city seems to be in chaos and all the cities guards will be busy dealing with things already. From what was shown in the demo people seem to be murdering each other en masse during broad daylight so the city guards will already have there hands full.

But in future games, maybe when we have a more quitter city, I think this is definitely a feature which should be restored from installments like AC3 and AC 1. They don't have to make it too difficult but I think something on the scale of what AC 1 had would be great, and not too much of a fuss for your average player to deal with. Just a little reminder saying, hey, I should get out of here.

Wolfmeister1010
06-18-2014, 11:16 PM
misleading thread title is misleading

Although I agree. Civillians should be able to call guards. We HEAR them saying things like "I'll call the guards on you!" and "Somebody's been murdered!..GUARDS!" But they never care. Also, I never understood what the point of snitches in AC3 were..considering that they never actually brought back guards.

WendysBrioche
06-18-2014, 11:22 PM
I think they wanted to create the feeling that you shouldn't stay around, but didn't implement it to the fullest extent. However, AC 3 was one of the games were if you got your notoriety high enough, you did start to get wave after wave of hessians coming after you. But the combat with those guard types was tedious, and unless you were very fluent with the games dynamics, you had to get out of there pretty quick or else get mowed down.

Wolfmeister1010
06-18-2014, 11:28 PM
I think they wanted to create the feeling that you shouldn't stay around, but didn't implement it to the fullest extent. However, AC 3 was one of the games were if you got your notoriety high enough, you did start to get wave after wave of hessians coming after you. But the combat with those guard types was tedious, and unless you were very fluent with the games dynamics, you had to get out of there pretty quick or else get mowed down.

But they just kept spawning guards for the sake of spawning guards. There was no sense of strategy. In high notoriety, they should spawn the guards around but make it so that you can maneuver around them. In AC3 they could see you through walls and auto detect you when you are in their vicinity.

If they are gonna have a system where guards come when you kill someone, it has to WORK. I.E, they only come when a civilian runs and reports to them. Maybe a little icon above their head shows that they are running to inform the police, similar to Watch Dogs.

Guards should come from ONE SPECIFIC AREA. There was no such thing as radio, so the only guards that should know the situation are the ones that are directly called/summoned.

WendysBrioche
06-18-2014, 11:39 PM
But they just kept spawning guards for the sake of spawning guards. There was no sense of strategy. In high notoriety, they should spawn the guards around but make it so that you can maneuver around them. In AC3 they could see you through walls and auto detect you when you are in their vicinity.

If they are gonna have a system where guards come when you kill someone, it has to WORK. I.E, they only come when a civilian runs and reports to them. Maybe a little icon above their head shows that they are running to inform the police, similar to Watch Dogs.

Guards should come from ONE SPECIFIC AREA. There was no such thing as radio, so the only guards that should know the situation are the ones that are directly called/summoned.

I agree. Anything they can do to make it more immersive would be a treat.

I seem to remember in AC 3 there were a couple incidences where a guard would shoot you through a wall I was like what?

But ya that would be cool. Like the thief tackle side missions, except to stop someone from getting the guards. That could definitely fit in. :D

Dome500
06-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Absolutely agree.
It should be more like Splinter Cell Blacklist / Watch Dogs and less like AC3.

In AC3 guards knew exactly where you are and followed you. It was more an outrunning the guards than an outsmarting.

Now (IMO) guards should be either called by Civilians or become suspicious due to a loud sound (gunshot?) or something they saw (if they are far away but in your LoS).
They should go there, look at the body shortly, draw their weapons and then start searching the area in little groups.
Once they detected you they should chase you and if you break LoS they should search for you within a certain area.
If they don't find you they return to their posts.
Also, they should realize if more than 2 guards from their "group" are missing and search for them shortly.

Of course for that we need the guards to be faster when running (in order for you to harder loose them, so you have to make twists and turns and can not just outrun them), and we need nearby citizens to alarm the guards again in case you are "suspicious" (running around, drawing weapon, killing again, etc).

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 10:38 PM
Guards do come suspicious after a gunshot already, but the other ideas should already be in AC games. Civvies should call for help, run to guards etc.

WendysBrioche
06-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Ikr. I only hope features like these eventually get implemented.

It would make the city more interactive to have it be more responsive to things you do in the city. As oppose to just killing a pair of guards in broad daylight with no consequences. Once a patrol starts investigating a murder it would be cool to send someone like thieves or brotherhood assassins to distract the guards away too. A lot of these features are already in the series. They just need to more tightly implemented.

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Yeah title is misleading. Thought this was a new feature in unity.

But I like your idea a lot.

WendysBrioche
06-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Yeah title is misleading. Thought this was a new feature in unity.

But I like your idea a lot.

It may or may not be, it wasn't clear in the demo whether things like this would happen. But they showed a lot of civilians and guards killing eachother so it seems like we might just have a bunch of corpses laying around with no one doing anything about it. :P

And sorry for the misleading title lol. XD It would definitely be cool if this does make it to the actual game.

GunnerGalactico
06-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Also, they should realize if more than 2 guards from their "group" are missing and search for them shortly.

Of course for that we need the guards to be faster when running (in order for you to harder loose them, so you have to make twists and turns and can not just outrun them), and we need nearby citizens to alarm the guards again in case you are "suspicious" (running around, drawing weapon, killing again, etc).

Now this idea, I like. :)

I've noticed this in all AC games except the first one, when I'm are hidden in the bushes or under a haystack and have a group of guards searching for me, I wait patiently and as soon as they turn around and walk away... I kill the nearest one. After I've done that, the guards just continue to walking around as normal as if nothing suspicious happened... they are completely oblivious to the fact that there's a member missing from their group. I find that very silly.

It would make more sense if the guards had noticed someone from their group missing and be on high alert. That alone should indicate that you are somewhere nearby and the guards would be extra cautious and weary of your presence or they could split up in groups and search for you.

TheDanteEX
06-26-2014, 08:25 PM
AC4's guards were even better than the Ezio games' guards. When you broke line of sight in the Ezio games, the guards would still know exactly where you were until you hid. In AC4, the guards would only check around the area where you broke line of sight, usually running in the direction you were last seen. You were able to walk around normally while the map glowed yellow, as long as you avoided the guards who were looking for you, which is so much better.

WendysBrioche
06-26-2014, 08:39 PM
AC4's guards were even better than the Ezio games' guards. When you broke line of sight in the Ezio games, the guards would still know exactly where you were until you hid. In AC4, the guards would only check around the area where you broke line of sight, usually running in the direction you were last seen. You were able to walk around normally while the map glowed yellow, as long as you avoided the guards who were looking for you, which is so much better.

Huh, I never noticed this feature. Then again I rushed all of AC 4's missions without paying much care to detail. I only did maybe 8 missions by way of stealth. Was pretty hard to do in places like the Nassau stronghold. Had to wait for the guards to rotate to posotions where they were all looking the opposite way then rush up the stairs and hang off the side of the fortress pretty quick. The pirate ships were much easier to do stealth though. XD