PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Reboot: How would you do it?

rprkjj
06-17-2014, 03:54 PM
It occurred to me that, a while after Assassin's Creed wraps up with a final installment, (if it ever does) it's not unlikely we could see a reboot a few years after the last game. I've been thinking how I would want them to do it, and wondered how others would too.

First, I'd set the first game in the same setting as AC1 with Altair, but would give him more of an origin story in the beginning of the game, similar to Ezio, and a legitimate Syrian accent. By then I'm sure AC would have had it's fair share of improvements since and including Unity, so of course they should be there. I would also want the modern-day to resemble AC3's. After that, I would want AC2 to again feature Ezio, maybe streamline Brotherhood's story onto the end and feature the Altair segments from Revelations at the end of the AC1 reboot. Then, Connor would feature in the 3rd, game, ALL of it, while Haytham is no longer a playable character.

As for Edward, he's my favorite AC protag but I think they should do away with him. After AC3, I want them to jump around more instead of staying in the same century. The second trilogy should fill in the gaps in history between the first trilogy. So, for AC4 I would want it to take place at the end of the Yuon Dynasty in China and the transition to the Ming Dynasty, AC5 to take place in the English Civil war in Britain, and AC6 to perhaps take place in the American Civil war in Richmond and D.C. AC6 I'm somewhat iffy about. Not sure how feasible those cities were for free running at the time.

As I was typing this, I noticed this could also stand as an, "AC: How they should of done it," thread, but I still would like to know how anyone else would do an AC Reboot series.

LoyalACFan
06-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Step 1 would be scrapping Altair's American accent. Step 2 would be implementing Unity's new free-running mechanics. Step 3 would be completely removing the modern day, and instead have the series focus on standalone ancestor stories (these could be spread across multiple games if necessary like Ezio's, but not across multiple time periods). The modern day was a cool idea, but they were never able to make it work right and it looks like they never will, so euthanize it and start again.

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Make modern day more relevant instead of just a hub world for exposition.

wvstolzing
06-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Modern Day: I'd do away with 'genetic memories', and the Animus. (I'm sorry, but it really, really stretches the limits of reasonable 'suspension of disbelief'. The sodding DNA-code doesn't work that way. Sorry.)

The modern day component would 'run parallel' to the historical adventure, in that we'd be playing present-day assassins trying to do research into a great past assassin's deeds.

Perhaps the writers at ubisoft thought they needed some sort of 'animus video capture' from Altair's memories to locate the POE-map at the end. Without the animus, the POE-map would be found in an old manuscript, or the codex itself, or whatever, and we'd be scrambling to get to it before the Templars.

Modern day assassins would at one point find an ancient video player of sorts, and recover actual *recordings* from the past----either from the time of the FC (e.g. the Truth video, the 'fall of Atlantis (in Revelations) video, ans so on), or from later times, taken by mysterious people who had access to a FC-camera of sorts. That would be how modern-day people get to 'see' events of the past.

rprkjj
06-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Modern Day: I'd do away with 'genetic memories', and the Animus. (I'm sorry, but it really, really stretches the limits of reasonable 'suspension of disbelief'. The sodding DNA-code doesn't work that way. Sorry.)

The modern day component would 'run parallel' to the historical adventure, in that we'd be playing present-day assassins trying to do research into a great past assassin's deeds.

Perhaps the writers at ubisoft thought they needed some sort of 'animus video capture' from Altair's memories to locate the POE-map at the end. Without the animus, the POE-map would be found in an old manuscript, or the codex itself, or whatever, and we'd be scrambling to get to it before the Templars.

Modern day assassins would at one point find an ancient video player of sorts, and recover actual *recordings* from the past----either from the time of the FC (e.g. the Truth video, the 'fall of Atlantis (in Revelations) video, ans so on), or from later times, taken by mysterious people who had access to a FC-camera of sorts. That would be how modern-day people get to 'see' events of the past.

This sounds pretty cool. As you play as the ancestor, you leave traces behind for when you jump to the descendant to discover them.

DumbGamerTag94
06-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Ok here's how id do it....

1. Remove Modern Day entirely
2. Eliminate the animus interface(in my version you would literally be Alta´r rather than playing his memories)
3. Add in all the most modern features like ACU.
4. Make the investigations less repetitive and more like mini story missions than CTF of beat up the Crier
5. Accurate regional accents for all characters.
6. More exposition for your targets and learn more about them throughout the story and first hand rather than listening to them tell you why they were a target in a really long speech.
7. Better ambiance(get rid of annoying obstacle civilians like the poor and sick and hungry woman or Lute players)
8. Eliminate the ugly filters from every city. Add more color and detail to each and don't wash them all out in brown or blue grey like AC1 did and somewhat AC2.
9. Add interiors to buildings like the dome of the rock or church of the holy sepulcher.
10. Add more points where people would speak phrases words or a sentence here or there in their native languages. Like Alta´r in Arabic or Sibrand in German, Robert in French. Etc.

That's pretty much it my perfect AC reboot. And every subsequent game would follow the same formula.

wvstolzing
06-17-2014, 04:22 PM
This sounds pretty cool. As you play as the ancestor, you leave traces behind for when you jump to the descendant to discover them.

Yeah, and this could be done in a way far less gimmicky than Ezio 'talking to' Desmond at times.

Getting rid of the Animus would also entail getting rid of Minerva's 'reading of the future'. That made no sense: On the one hand, they say they project only 'probabilities' into the future (which is taken directly from Asimov's Foundation series, by the way; and there it hardly makes any sense either), on the other hand, they're able to pinpoint the name of *one single guy*, and address him directly.

You could *still* have Kaczmarek, though, and have him play an even more interesting role. He'd be a rogue assassin who'd gone mad, because he'd found the Truth 'recording', alongside other evidence for the FC-Human war.

rprkjj
06-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Yeah, and this could be done in a way far less gimmicky than Ezio 'talking to' Desmond at times.

Getting rid of the Animus would also entail getting rid of Minerva's 'reading of the future'. That made no sense: On the one hand, they say they project only 'probabilities' into the future (which is taken directly from Asimov's Foundation series, by the way; and there it hardly makes any sense either), on the other hand, they're able to pinpoint the name of *one single guy*, and address him directly.

You could *still* have Kaczmarek, though, and have him play an even more interesting role. He'd be a rogue assassin who'd gone mad, because he'd found the Truth 'recording', alongside other evidence for the FC-Human war.

I think I'd still miss the animus HUD. Things like, "synchronization," "bleeding effect," and "white/black room," are just things I associate with AC. I like the Kaczmarek idea though.

Sushiglutton
06-17-2014, 04:29 PM
One of AC's strengths as an IP is that there never is any real need to reboot it, because you can start fresh with every new Assassin (compare for example with God of War which has hit a wall pretty much). There are still tons of interesting eras/settings to explore. In each one you can take advantage of new gameplay opportunities (like they did with naval). And ofc continually push the core mechanics.

The only thing that is ongoing is the modern day. I would simply remove that part as it wastes the player's time and therefor lowers the value of the overall experience.

Hans684
06-17-2014, 04:57 PM
One of AC's strengths as an IP is that there never is any real need to reboot it, because you can start fresh with every new Assassin (compare for example with God of War which has hit a wall pretty much). There are still tons of interesting eras/settings to explore. In each one you can take advantage of new gameplay opportunities (like they did with naval). And ofc continually push the core mechanics.

This. No need for a reboot and judging by the thread it's more of what they should have done thread. If there is a reboot, they should erase everything and start new, no Alta´r, Ezio etc...
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

I don't support the idea of a reboot, it would throw everything away. And if we take away MD, then AC would become more of an Uncharted style game. Just adventures, connected or not. No overall point, not to mention that the MD(with Animus and all that) is a rear gaming concept, not many games you relive memories is there? The new "AC" series would end up as just an historical game, there would be no point nor overall importance, no reason to go to X era with X protagonist searching/stumbling over X devise. Making everything pointless. It would be worse than annual releases, I'd much rather have two games every year.

ze_topazio
06-17-2014, 05:15 PM
If they were to reboot the franchise they would go straight for Ezio not Altair.

LatinaC09
06-17-2014, 05:21 PM
I don't think they need to necessarily reboot AC1 but it would be nice if they re-released it for PS4 and XB1 with some updated graphics and game-play.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 05:26 PM
I'd like a remake of 1 and 2.

I'll be reasonable and say only those two since they're in need of the most graphical upgrades and they're the two games that had the most impact on success, AC1 gathered the crowd and AC2 cemented it as a fan base.

Brotherhood to this day I still find a treat to look at due to it's powerful bloom and lighting as well as some nice textures, especially like the stone arches in the catacombs which are good enough to stop and stare it and fail the 8 min sync requirement.

pacmanate
06-17-2014, 05:30 PM
I would Also go start off with AC1 again, but have sequels with new different protags.

I would also have modern day play a bigger part, a MUCH bigger part. I think a lot of people hated the modern day parts in AC1 cause you didnt do anything, it just took you out the animus, you had a long chat with Vidic, then went back in.

But yes, new combat a new story for Altair, maybe even fit in when he went to Cyprus. They could easily retell AC1 in the reboot making it shorter by rehauling the investigations. OR better yet have AC1 as a rehauled story.

AND AC2 COULD BE HIM IN CYPRUS

*fangirls*

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 05:34 PM
AND AC2 COULD BE HIM IN CYPRUS

*fangirls*

Goodness...

*fangirls with the fangirl*

rprkjj
06-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Having AC revolve exclusively around Altair would be cool. Also, a remastered collection of the AC series for next-gen akin to the Master Chief collection would be great and also another reason to sell my 360.

Dome500
06-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Idk, I think they should completely revamp modern day in that case.
You know, either they change it completely or they just remove it.
They failed hard so far with MD and I think it is SUCH a shame since they started SO good. In fact, AC1 Modern Day made me SO hungry for new MD stuff, it was almost as interesting for me as Altairs story.

They ruined it big time with AC2, ACB and ACR and with the AC3 ending IMO in terms of modern day, ESPECIALLY since they came up with the "floating camera" in AC4 then. For me that was just like a testimony saying "we don't know anymore what we want and we just want to keep making money with annual releases and ancestor stories, so we pack in some gimmicks and Easter Eggs, a little bit fanservice and pack the whole thing in a story without much substance introducing the MD basically as a mostly empty HUB that only functions as relic of an originally good idea that we are not able to remove because some fans would be mad then.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-17-2014, 06:11 PM
I would scrap abstergo and just make 'Connors Creed'

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 06:18 PM
I would scrap abstergo and just make 'Connors Creed'

XD I hope Darby sees that.. and then trolls you again >_>

As for a reboot, I would say first and foremost that EVERY protag gets their proper ending and not wait two to three games later (Altair) or have this ending put in a book (Edward)

pacmanate
06-17-2014, 06:52 PM
They should make 2 games per protag :p

AC1 - Altair and Al Mualim
AC: Altair Spin Off blah blah - Altair in Cyprus

AC2 - Our AC2 and Brotherhood in one game
AC: Ezio the oldy - Revelations

AC3 - Same game we got
AC: Connors frenchies - Connor in the French Revolution

AC4 - Edwards story like we got
AC: Edward returns - When he goes back after that slaver he left alive

etc etc

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 07:03 PM

AC3 - Same game we got

etc etc

Yes. THIS!!!

Hans684
06-17-2014, 07:14 PM
End of the series > Reboot

/thread

GunnerGalactico
06-17-2014, 08:25 PM

AC3 - Same game we got

etc etc

Not bad!

I like your ideas

SixKeys
06-17-2014, 08:40 PM
To the OP:

I wouldn't. Reboots usually suck and AC1 is near perfect the way it is. I think the only thing I would change is give Alta´r a Middle-Eastern accent. The sequels have more stuff that could have been handled better.

UniteUnderPower
06-18-2014, 12:51 AM
The first thing that I would do is give the modern-day story much more prominence and make sure it doesn't repel some players in any way.

phoenix-force411
06-18-2014, 01:00 AM
No more animus!

king-hailz
06-18-2014, 08:27 AM
First of all show like a backstory on desmonds life and the show him being kidnapped by abstergo... then with altair they should add much better missions and then adda syrian accent to it... HOWEVER before they should add a syrian accent to altair they should add a french accent to Arno..... anyway ezio's trilogy should still be there in a trilogy but still making the modern day more relevant and better written for people to actually care about desmonds story. But to be honest i personally think assassin's creed will carry on for at least the next 7 years... so we ca expect a reboot in about 15 years maybe...

Farlander1991
06-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Due to the nature of the concept, AC is unlikely to get a reboot ever. But if I'd do a reboot...

1. I would totally restructure Desmond's modern day story, removing the solar flare plot and leaving only the satellite plot in that would be the sole focus of the Modern Day story. No direct appearances of TWCB until after the end of that plotline.

2. AC1 plot and design principles would be left largely the same (with inspirations from Unity possibly, depending on what they do there), with the biggest differences being change in the pace of dialogues and cutscenes to be less 'exposition dump after exposition dump'. More things to do and happening in the world, for example we might see an Assassin killing someone and running away, stuff like that.

One thing that bothered me about AC1 is that it felt like everything's revolving about Altair there, the whole Order is revolving about him (a lot of people say that they felt to be a part of smth bigger, but I didn't feel that way). Which does makes sense in a way, due to Altair being very self-centered. So one thing I'd do is have more and more side activities and events in the world unlock/start happening as the story progresses to subtly show how Altair sees beyond himself now, all those things around him as well.

3. AC2, first I would rewrite the Templars so they'd be less 'mwahahahaha villains'. I'd include Rome and have the game end in 1503 as it was originally intended, with Rodrigo's death. I would add more Cristina (more than ACB missions as well). Ezio's allies wouldn't be Assassins (with the exception of Mario), and there'd be no sudden introduction of Machiavelli as the defacto Assassin mentor even though Machiavelli was born a lot later than Ezio. Venice plotline would be largely restructured to be less fillery and contrived. No Minerva as well, but something related to the Vault would be there as it can be important to Abstergo and important for us to remove it. The design principles of the game would be closer to AC1 rather than different from it.

4. AC3. Restructuring of the story with bigger focus on Connor's life. Seq1 would be Haytham, Seq2 would be Connor's early life and introduction to the Order, Seq3 to the very end would be his 1773-1782 life. No naval in the main campaign, it would be a purely side activity (I think it's too awesome to be left out, but I don't think it's necessary anywhere in the main campaign and it's introduction just takes time). A better characterized Charles Lee, and Connor and Haytham learn about one another normally rather than psychically somehow from behind the scenes already know. Overall design principles of the game would be closer to AC1 again as well.

roostersrule2
06-18-2014, 10:13 AM
AC1: I would add an origins story to AC1 and ACR's Altair parts, the game would be have a prologue, 3 chapters and an Epilogue. The game would start off with a flashback showing when Abbas's dad walks in and kills himself in front of Altair and this would be used to haunt Altair for his life. Then Altair wakes up as it's time for his training. The tutorial for the game would be Altair completing a series of activities and obstacles that mirror how to be an Assassin. Here is where the Abbas and Altair rivalry begins and the Epilogue ends.

Then the story skips to Altair as an adult Assassin where we see him save Al Mualim from whoever attacked Masayf in the ACR part (The Mongols?). Then we see Altair, Malik and Malik's brother go to Solomon's Temple and fail etc. Then the whole 'nine lives in exchange for mine' part begins, except there'd be only five targets and Robert De Sable. Altair kills them learning that the Templar order isn't as bad as once thought, then he kills Robert. He learns Al Mualim is a bad dude, he goes back and kills him. Burns him, Abbas gets pissed and takes the Apple chapter one is finished.

Chapter two begins as Altair as Grand Master some years later, where he learns about Genghis Khan and goes off to kill him. This chapter is set in and around Mongolia.

Chapter three starts with Altair's return to Masayf to find it ****ty and Abbas in charge, he confronts Abbas about killing his son and when Maria is killed he rides of with Darim. Here is when he goes to Constantinople to to try and establish a guild there, unsuccessfully. At the end of this chapter he returns to Masayf and kills Abbas.

The epilogue is basically the last two Altair scenes from ACR added into one.

At the end of the game it is revealed that you are Desmond, you are awoken from a Coma by the Assassins who broke you out of Abstergo. They reveal to you what Abstergo was looking for and tell you how you have to search into the life of another Ancestor, the game ends with you going into the Animus to see that Ancestor.

AC2: Basically AC2, ACB and ACR are added into one game, however they're all shorter. There's a prologue, epilogue and three chapters. The prologue is everything that happens prior to the hanging and the modern day beginning is the last parts of the AC1 ending. Chapter one is Ezio avenging his family, finding out about his families death and learning to be an Assassin, basically AC2 up until Venice.

Chapter two is the Venice saga and everything that happens in it, although there's less jumping around from year to year. This is AC2 up until sequence 14, sequence 12 and 13 aren't in the game. You are introduced to Rome in this chapter and Ezio kills Rodrigo in 1503, like he did in the ACB trailer, except he air attacks Rodrigo not Cesare. Monteriggionni is destroyed by Cesare because he killed Rodrigo and Mario is killed. Ezio tracks Cesare to Spain and this chapter ends akin to sequence 9 of ACB.

Chapter three starts as an old Ezio at Masayf, he goes there because he wants to learn about the legendary Altair and his library. He is ambushed by Templars there and what hap***** in the ACR trailer begins, he escapes Masayf and heads to Constantinople, where he learns that's where Leandros went. He uncovers a Templar conspiracy in the Ottoman Government and befriends Yusuf, Sofia and Suleiman. His love interest with Sofia plays out and he ends up killing Leandros who tells him about Ahmet being a Templar. Ahmet kidnaps Sofia and kills Yusuf. Ezio tracks him down and kills him, sadly though no cliff-parachuting air battles are present. He and Sofia go and learn about the Library and whatnot.

The epilogue is Embers, Ezio dies, we all cry. AC2 ends with the Templars attacking the hideout and Desmond killing them off, Daniel Cross leads the attack. Both are wounded in a super awesome fight, Cross escapes though. The Assassins go to a possible POE site they learned from some info they learned from Abstergo. They go to the Colosseum, Lucy dies etc.

AC3: I"ll keep this one short, cbf righting another long thing again. The game starts with the Assassins at the Grand Temple, the learned about it from the Apple they found. Desmond opens it and a TWCB appears and tells them about the whole sun thing, then Desmond is knocked unconscious by the TWCB and you play as Connor. Haytham isn't playable, the story is basically the same except is executed better. The modern day ends the same except it's executed better too and Desmond doesn't die from the Orb. Then all their efforts are turned towards the Assassins. All Assassins in the world, attack Abstergo killing Cross and Vidic and then a Templar hunt begins. After the credits though you see a a small group of Templar survivors planning to take revenge from the Assassins. A Templar spin off is born.

I got really bored writing this, so excuse the plot holes or mistakes.

rprkjj
06-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Had an idea how AC3 should've went, at least at the beginning.

The exposition cutscene and the cutscene with Desmond in the car happens, although that goes right into Desmond finding the power source and blacking out. The first mission is still the simulation, but it slides into a cutscene at the end with a pan that turns Desmond into Haytham as he's sitting in his quarters, writing on his voyage to America. Here he narrates his task, and the second mission is him climbing the mast again, where we see the logo. Then Lee gives us the tour, without Ben Franklin, and when they arrive at the Green Dragon, the teams already assembled and you can still have the same conversations before you start the third mission.

Johnson needs to get closer to the natives, so the third mission is infiltrating southgate. This time it's more open, and it starts with a cutscene showing ONLY Haytham getting a disguise. Freeing the natives and assassinating Silas is one continual sequence. The fourth mission involves the same as when Lee and Haytham find Ziio. Same tracking, and then it segways into Haytham and Ziio teaming up to infiltrate the fort and learn about Braddock from Washington.

The fifth and final mission of sequence 1 involves Haytham and the others riding horseback to Ziio and the other natives. From here, instead of the cutscene Haytham follows Ziio to the camp where Braddock is, and the natives ambush them. This causes the on-foot chase, where at the end Haytham assassinates Braddock. The same ending ensues, where Haytham finds the cave, gets intimate with Ziio, and the same twist happens with Lee's induction, although it might be less obvious.

This just seems like the best way they could have done it. Takes a lot of the useless tutorial out of it and leaves a lot more room for Connor.

dxsxhxcx
06-18-2014, 07:37 PM
I would keep the satellite plot, remove the end of the world plot and TWCB activity (Minerva, Juno and Jupiter speaking through time with the chosen one) from the game, the only POE that exist is the apple that would be divided in 6 pieces and that's the reason to use the animus, to find all the pieces before the Templars to stop the satellite launch.

TWCB would be present in the game just as a backstory to justify the apple, we would learn more about who they were and what they did but we wouldn't have any kind of interference from their part, both Orders assume that they died long ago.

during the modern days we would be able to switch between the Assassins/Templars perspective to learn more about the state of the two Orders during the modern days

Dr_Fefo
01-22-2015, 02:16 AM
Actually, I think that the best way to reboot the saga is by beginning from the start, i mean in the present day you will use the first one that invented and used the animus to find fruits of eden. This guy will live the life of one of the first assassins of the history by himself or by using maybe a man he kidnapped (in this case you will use this last guy).
I think that the first assassin must be Altair but the game should start from his childhood and with a better plot than the original. Very important to me is that the present days should rotate around the same characters in order to have a beginning and an end. What i say is that in the last game of the new series the Battle between templars and assassins come to an end after a Long journey of the main character, maybe last years and years. Naturally Ezio should return but in a single game, also Edward and haytham should. I'd love also to see Connor again in the american revolution and Arno but the plot and their characters should be rebooted.( I think that the story about Arno is a continuous deja vu/clichÚ).
Talking about gameplay I think that Unity is beautiful and the reboot should start from there. I thought that maybe every game of the rebooted saga should Be focused on the research of a different fruit of Eden every time. In this way you will have an understandable and ordered plot.
How the men will choose the assassins (or also templar, why not?) to live in the animus i don't have figured yet, maybe from researches or other things.
The gameplay in the present days should let the gamer play with the characters when he needs to find something like the eden fruit at the end of the game, a place with messages from the past or to escape from templars if he is an assassin and viceversa. With chasing also with car or sneaking in some places and stuff like that.

EmptyCrustacean
01-22-2015, 02:55 AM
You people calling for modern day to be removed is what is ruining AC, sorry.

Cactiii
01-22-2015, 03:59 AM
I think that AC1 being remade in the style of AC Unity would be a lot more work than a standard remake but would be incredible. The whole open-ended mission followed by another open-ended mission followed by an open-ended assassination worked phenomenally in Unity, regardless of any criticism of the narrative. Fleshing out 1's story with dedicated cutscenes and authentic accents would be incredible, especially when we're using improved mechanics of everything. Even so, I definitely want to see us explore new environments before revisiting new ones- all I would like to see is that either the modern day story is improved (AC3's modern day was so promising, with the Brazilian stadium or New York skyscraper showing awesome glimpses of a modern AC setting; elaborate through that and elaborate on what happens with the assassins and templars when faced with the greater threat of Juno).