PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft: good game ideas, pleasant and helpful tech support, but VICIOUS programmers!

hasznaloubi2005
06-17-2014, 07:24 AM
A serious warning for all PC gamers contemplating playing the Assassin's Creed series --
The concept of these games is interesting and potentially enjoyable -- and you will probably find it to be a satisfactory experience in AC 1. I liked it so much I bought the rest of the series based on the AC1 experience. But then I found out what a fool I had been. From the start the gameplay in AC2 was frustrating and downright maddening because the control scheme (for keyboard and mouse) does not really work. With the addition of the "special" jumps and wall runs, as well as the totally unresponsive controls in the mini-games (like the tombs), the controls work only on an "accidental" basis. The character does not jump or run where the controls are supposed to direct it, and the camera views of the action also stop responding to player input. You cannot point the character where you need it to jump, and you cannot center the camera behind the character to see what you need to do. Literally, it takes hundreds of attempts to "accidentally" get the character to make the move you are trying to produce. Add to this the idiotically short few seconds you are given to complete a sequence, and what you get is mostly angry at the VICIOUS programmers who created this fiasco. And naturally there is no graduated difficulty setting as one would expect in a challenging game to at least let you try to practice and possibly get the controls to work. The courteous and helpful tech support agents told me that this problem had to do with the fact that the game was originally designed for one of those toy game consoles and he actually suggested that I should buy one of those handheld controllers for my PC. Silly me, I thought that if you are trying to make more money by porting a good game to another platform, you would at least do it in a way that allows the user to play it?!
You have a better chance of getting a Royal Flush in poker than stringing together a dozen accidental control successes needed to get through the mini-games. Nor is it at all predictable what the character will do in a free-run or chase sequence.
Having bought the other titles, I started AC Brotherhood and BINGO! The same random responses to control inputs in its mini games, and the same erratic behavior in free runs and chases. (By the way I have an ultra high-end gaming rig, so it isn't a hardware problem.)
Stop and take heed, you PC gamers. AC1 is pretty decent and may make you want more. But beware. Had I to do it again I would spend money on games that make sense and whose controls actually exercise control. There are Ubisoft titles that do that. Assassin's Creed is NOT one of them and I think it was created by vicious programmers who didn't care how the game plays on the PC.

Ferrith
06-17-2014, 11:29 PM
There is a "fixed" camera in certain spots, yes. There is not difficulty bar to adjust it, yes. The controls were originally designed for consoles, yes. The port for PC sucks at times, yes.

BUT

AC II was no fiasco in any possible sense.

The tombs you need to explore in order to find the Assassins' Seals and unlock Altair's armour require good control of your keyboard and mouse and the right timing, if you are to perform the correct moves. Sometimes you need to press two or three keys simultaneously and then change to another key very quickly - especially when there is a timer. There is nothing like "accidentally" in those jumps and moves.

Personally, it took me more than one try to be successful, some of the tombs were really frustrating, especially during my very first play-through, when I wasn't yet familiar with the advanced wall jump (where you use the wall in front of you as a springboard to jump right or left) I found myself cursing Ubisoft aloud while trying to reach my final destination, but that was part of the beauty of it. Besides, if you want Altair's armour you need to try a bit harder. You can't just walk in ancient tomb, get the seal and go away. You are supposed to be an Assassin, you should prove it as well.

The above logic applies to AC: Brotherhood and the Lairs of Romulus - if this is what you meant by "random responses to control inputs in its mini games". All you need is practice of the controls.

hasznaloubi2005
06-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Thanks for your reply, even if it is repeating platitudes and entirely misses the point of my remarks. But I am not interested in starting any arguments, just sharing my experience. I also do not need a tutorial in handling multiple key-presses and other basic mechanical issues. I have been in computing since the 1970's (when time-sharing on a mainframe was the only access) and respectfully submit that I do not need to be taught how to suck eggs -- I daresay most of the forum participants were not born yet when I was starting with what passed for a PC back then.I have been at it and evolving with it ever since, and take no timid stance regarding my understanding or experience with current systems and programming both productivity and gaming. And I know a vicious programmer when I see his/her work. And I have even known some personally, who think that "stumping the suckers" is some sort of inside joke. There is a huge difference between a game that is challenging because of the storyline and the gameplay and one which is "challenging" (i.e. annoying) only because the illogical controls and the even more illogical response to them allows you to repeat the same BORING! sequences as many times as your patience will last. Apparently some gamers enjoy that kind of masochism, but others do not. De gustibus non est disputandum.. Have a wonderful time "practicing the controls" and join me in being glad that there are many interesting, challenging and yet enjoyable games to choose from. Quite a few from Ubisoft too.

guidomista
06-27-2014, 12:23 PM
A serious warning for all PC gamers contemplating playing the Assassin's Creed series --
The concept of these games is interesting and potentially enjoyable -- and you will probably find it to be a satisfactory experience in AC 1. I liked it so much I bought the rest of the series based on the AC1 experience. But then I found out what a fool I had been. From the start the gameplay in AC2 was frustrating and downright maddening because the control scheme (for keyboard and mouse) does not really work. With the addition of the "special" jumps and wall runs, as well as the totally unresponsive controls in the mini-games (like the tombs), the controls work only on an "accidental" basis. The character does not jump or run where the controls are supposed to direct it, and the camera views of the action also stop responding to player input. You cannot point the character where you need it to jump, and you cannot center the camera behind the character to see what you need to do. Literally, it takes hundreds of attempts to "accidentally" get the character to make the move you are trying to produce. Add to this the idiotically short few seconds you are given to complete a sequence, and what you get is mostly angry at the VICIOUS programmers who created this fiasco. And naturally there is no graduated difficulty setting as one would expect in a challenging game to at least let you try to practice and possibly get the controls to work. The courteous and helpful tech support agents told me that this problem had to do with the fact that the game was originally designed for one of those toy game consoles and he actually suggested that I should buy one of those handheld controllers for my PC. Silly me, I thought that if you are trying to make more money by porting a good game to another platform, you would at least do it in a way that allows the user to play it?!
You have a better chance of getting a Royal Flush in poker than stringing together a dozen accidental control successes needed to get through the mini-games. Nor is it at all predictable what the character will do in a free-run or chase sequence.
Having bought the other titles, I started AC Brotherhood and BINGO! The same random responses to control inputs in its mini games, and the same erratic behavior in free runs and chases. (By the way I have an ultra high-end gaming rig, so it isn't a hardware problem.)
Stop and take heed, you PC gamers. AC1 is pretty decent and may make you want more. But beware. Had I to do it again I would spend money on games that make sense and whose controls actually exercise control. There are Ubisoft titles that do that. Assassin's Creed is NOT one of them and I think it was created by vicious programmers who didn't care how the game plays on the PC.

First time I read a complain about ac2. I can't believe it...
The world is beautiful because it is various.

AC Ezio's trilogy are my favorite games ever.
And I found its controls barely perfect. Maybe cause I play on pc, but with controller.
I don't think they're the kind of games you can enjoy with M+K.
And about the passage from AC to AC2, well I think it's an example of one of the best evolution in a game series.
They removed all ac1's flaws and lacks. They added a lot of side-missions and variety (also suggested by fans) to make it not boring and repetetive like the first chapter

INSTEAD

I would direct the same critics to LAST chapters!
Doing control so easy, make your character not always follow what you want him to do.
First chapters get accuracy in controls. AC3 and AC4 don't.
Storyline and side-mission have become boring.
There is less attention to detail and bugs abound.

I would like every game has control accuracy of ac2, acb or acr.
Ac2 is the exact opposite of a FIASCO.

And these are not only my opinions, they are shared by large majority of AC community.
Search in the forum and you will have confirmation
Everyone can have this opinion... but this one, I'm sorry, it's very weird... it seems to me barely trolling...
And if you are not, I think you're the only one thinking like that.

Btw, I suggest you to play ac3 and ac4:
They have a dummy-proof control system.
They removed practically all acrobatic quests (prince of persia way).
And you'll get barely zero frustration for the difficult...
I've got frustrated cause they are easy and repetetive like hell! XD
But I don't think you'll find it a problem, right?

I invite everyone who think AC2 is not a good game to post here and amaze me again.

Bye

hasznaloubi2005
07-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Apparently "guidomista" wishes to be amazed.
Allow me to continue to amaze you by declaring that nothing in your post accords with reality as I experienced it, and creepily smacks of the ramblings of a star-struck fan. Far from supporting your contention, the posts I see in this forum deal mostly with the problems, not rave reviews such as yours. As I intimated in my initial remarks, the game has many excellent points -- superior graphics, an interesting premise, and a departure from the usual bang-bang first person shooter genre. I do, however stand fast in my condemnation of the quirks and the hopeless control system that has the central character leaping and hopping aimlessly in any direction like an intoxicated cricket, but rarely as intended by the player. I agree with one sentence in your post: it is obviously not a game meant for mouse and keyboard, and it would have been a nice gesture to make that ABUNDANTLY clear in the sales blurb before the purchaser discovers it to his chagrin after playing.. But since I do not care for toy consoles and toy controllers, I expected a mature and thoughtfully designed control system in the PC version. Obviously, that is NOT what is delivered.
As for playing the rest of the series, I mentioned that I bought the whole series (those available so far) on the basis of AC1 which you seem to condemn but which I found more user-friendly and on the basis of which I expected the same of subsequent titles Therefore I will indeed play them all eventually -- although I reserve the right to toss one or more if they manifest the character of AC2. Perhaps they will indeed be an improvement over AC2, which I continue to consider an abomination. Most of the games I buy end up being played through several times, but you could not PAY me to repeat the masochistic exercise of putting myself through AC2 again. As to who needs "guides for dummies," it is too bad that we cannot test that interesting question in a head-to-head fashion -- and not merely as it pertains to computer games only. You are welcome to your opinions, and I am glad to hear that for you the experience was a positive one.
To quote Colonel Saito, "Be happy in your work!"

guidomista
07-06-2014, 01:52 PM
I forgot a word:

I invite everyone ELSE who think AC2 is not a good game to post here and amaze me again.

You're position is clear enough.

Bye