PDA

View Full Version : Favorite White Room Speech

travilanche
06-16-2014, 09:11 AM
I want to know what everyone's favorite white room speech is. Mine is hands down Thomas Hickey. He says something like..."Don't look at me like that! We're different you and I! You are just a fool chasing butterflies! Me? I am a man who likes a beer in one hand...and a tit in the other! Thing is...I can have what I want! Had it even! But your hands? Your hands will always be empty!"

I found this speech to be incredibly deep and true! The cause the assassins fight for is so hard to achieve in a world run by oligarchies. But Hickey was a much simpler person and as such was able to live exactly as he pleased.

Farlander1991
06-16-2014, 09:18 AM
AC1: Jubair, I think (that speech shows not only the differences in thoughts and ideologies, but also the irony in Assassins' actions and really puts the whole thing into a grey area)
AC2: Savanarolla (it's an incredibly short white room speech, but it's so poignant, showing Ezio's character development in a few words... and also followed by an awesome speech outside of the white room, so there's that)
ACB: Uhhhhhhh.... Not sure.
ACR: Abbas
AC3: Haytham (a moment which I knew would come but was really hoping wouldn't... bonus for a sickly and twisted declaration of love for his son before dying, the 'I should've killed you long ago' phrase)
AC4: Hornigold ("YOU THREW IN WITH THE VERY KIND WE ONCE HATED!!!!!!!!!!!!" - I don't know why, I just love when Edward goes into epic rage during that scene... plus, well, Hornigold is right in a way).

king-hailz
06-16-2014, 09:42 AM
I love the ones that have been mentioned but i actually choose Adewale's white room speech! It was just so powerful!

LoyalACFan
06-16-2014, 10:06 AM
The AC1 ones were all well-written, but a tad long-winded and info-dumpy IMO (I mean, the guys were bleeding profusely from the neck, let's not draw things out too much). Honestly, Pitcairn's was probably my favorite of the franchise. Concise, poignant, and recited in an epic Scottish accent. He also had probably the best single line of any dying target, briefly summarizing the Templar logic- ["The strings should be cut!"] "And we should live forever, in castles in the sky."

Ben Hornigold ranks pretty highly too. TBH all the AC3 and AC4 ones were at least pretty good, with some truly awesome ones thrown in there.

roostersrule2
06-16-2014, 10:14 AM
AC1: Garnier, the cold bastard.
AC2: Rodrigo, Ezio became a nice lad.
ACB: Cesare, NO MAN CAN MURDER ME!!
ACR: Tarik, one of the saddest AC moments.
AC3: Haytham, also sad, very powerful.
AC4: Hornigold, the traitorous **** calling me a traitor.

If I had to rank them:

AC3/AC1
ACR/AC4
AC2
ACB

steveeire
06-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Probably Al Mualim, the student surpassing the teacher.

travilanche
06-16-2014, 10:37 AM
So many good choices! I must replay the original to remember the great ones. I remember them being awesome but can't remember specifics.

jdowny
06-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Good question. I remember the AC 1 speeches the most - to this day they're still powerful, moving and deep. You begin to realise that the Templars aren't evil, that the Assassins aren't perfect. Their words pick holes in what we thought were concrete assumptions, revealing Altair's and the player's own prejudices. You begin to see the danger of following blindly (religion is the obvious example here, but Altair himself, in taking orders from al Mualim without question, is also at fault). That, and they were just very honest portrayals of very real human feelings.

Has there been a topic about the best speeches in the AC series? Because there are so many of those.

Locopells
06-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Gonna have to have a think about this one - maybe a poll, BTW?

steveeire
06-16-2014, 11:58 AM
I do find the dying conversations in AC4 interesting because Edward believes in nothing bar money.

frodrigues55
06-16-2014, 12:29 PM
I don't remember all of them, but AC1's are great, mostly because the templars are good written.

I hated Black Flag simply because the screens comes in too soon, it distracts me how that was overlooked by development.

AC3 had some very good ones too. One I always love is Connor/Haytham. I actually think their dialogues and interactions together were a highlight in AC3, and the white room is no different! It's just a shame that the way their paths cross for the first time was so poorly handled.

LoyalACFan
06-16-2014, 12:46 PM
I hated Black Flag simply because the screens comes in too soon, it distracts me how that was overlooked by development.

Yeah, there should have been a slo-mo effect or something there.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-16-2014, 02:18 PM
AC3:

Pitcairn: And we should live forever on castles in the sky. You wield your blade like a man, but your mouth like a child. And more will die now because of that...
Hickey: Wot else is there? I'm not some blind fool who'd give up all I've got on principle. What IS principle anyway? Can ya bring it to the bank? Don't look at me like that. We're different, you and I! You're just some blind fool who's always chasin' butterflies. Where as I'm the type of guy who likes to have a beer in one hand and a titty in the other. Thing is, boy, I can have what I seek. Had it, even. You? Your hands will always be empty.
Church: It's all a matter of perspective. There is no single path through life that's right and fair and does no harm. Do you truly think the Crown has no cause? No right to feel betrayed? You should know better than this, dedicated as you are to fighting Templars – who themselves see their work as just. Think on that the next time you insist your work alone befits the greater good. Your enemy would beg to differ – and would not be without cause.
Haytham: Don't think I have any intention of caressing your cheek and saying I was wrong. I will not weep and wonder what might have been. I'm sure you understand. Still, I'm proud of you in a way. You have shown great conviction. Strength. Courage. All noble qualities. I should have killed you long ago.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Haytham's.

The rest usually felt like they were being soley used for exposition. Little to no emotional connection.

Haytham's actually felt like an adventure of an awesome character coming to an end.

I-Like-Pie45
06-16-2014, 02:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHXatP8kCSQ

Shahkulu101
06-16-2014, 02:37 PM
All of AC3's really. Particularly Benjamin Church's, Hickey's and Pitcairn's.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Yeah the templars in AC:3 def felt more human than the rest.

Probably because we got time to develop them and fight alongside them.

AC: IV's templars were a joke.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Yeah the templars in AC:3 def felt more human than the rest.

Probably because we got time to develop them and fight alongside them.

True. I couldn't get attached to them for some reason. Not as emotional at AC3's

Shahkulu101
06-16-2014, 03:10 PM
I liked Hornigold as a Templar - his motivations for joining and his words to Edward were rather poignant. His vision of a free, successful and democratic had been crushed. Nassau was sick, filled with vile and baseless criminals. I liked how that drove him towards the Templar's. I thought Woodes Rogers was a smart, reasonable antagonist. Du Casse we didn't know enough about but he was really just a template to use for our first assassination mission, but he still caught Edwards attention with his final words.

I wasn't really compelled by any of the other Templar's in AC4 to be honest.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 05:44 PM
All of them from AC1 and AC3.

I hope the new way they're doing this is equally as strong in Unity.

pirate1802
06-16-2014, 07:11 PM
All of AC1 and AC3. But if I had to pick some..

"But I want to play with fire father! What will you say? As you wish? But then you'll answer for his injuries." (Garnier)
"You take the lives of men and women, strong in the conviction that their deaths will improve the lots of those left behind. A minor evil for a greater good? We are the same." (Abu Nuqud)
"I too, was making a small sacrifice. It matters little now. Your deed is done, and so am I." (Jubair)
"You really think the crown has no cause? No reason to feel betrayed? There is no one path through life that's right and fair and does no harm." (Church)
"You will always be poor whereas I will have a glass o' beer in one hand and a titty in the other" (Hickey)
"I'm proud of you.. in a way. I should have killed you when I had the chance" (Our lord and savior grandmaster Haytham Kenway (PBUH))

Also liked some of AC IV's, like the slave trader in AC IV (forgot his name lol)

Edward: You misunderstand, I'm just in it for the coins
Slave trader: So was I son, so was I..

Also the twin assassins; "Takes a traitor to know another."

Hornigold's famous "If you continue on your present course" lines.

The actual joke were 2 and Brotherhood's 'templars'. I laughed through their death scenes.

SixKeys
06-16-2014, 07:12 PM
AC1: Sibrand or Garnier.

AC2: Can't remember names, but I liked the monk who just before death realized the error of his ways. And Vieri's "I'm sorry, were you hoping for a confession?", just because it seemed to be poking fun at the clichéd long conversations.

ACB: None were all that memorable, really.

ACR: The traitor that Altaïr kills in Masyaf.

AC3: Pitcairn.

AC4: Laurens Prins.

pirate1802
06-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Laurens Prins.

Ah yes, that's the bugger.

HDinHB
06-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Gonna have to have a think about this one - maybe a poll, BTW?

I was hoping, after the favorite cities contest, there would be a similar poll for favorite white room moments, with voting by game, etc. I don't know if anyone has time to set that up. I suppose the videos are online somewhere.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 08:34 PM
The actual joke were 2 and Brotherhood's 'templars'. I laughed through their death scenes.

It's not called the Dark Age of the Templar order by the Templars themselves for nothing.

pirate1802
06-16-2014, 08:37 PM
It's not called the Dark Age of the Templar order by the Templars themselves for nothing.

Probably also the dark age of writing

http://i.imgur.com/oo7Yx7W.png

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Probably also the dark age of writing

http://i.imgur.com/oo7Yx7W.png

Well they were supposed to be the worst of the Templars, caring only for power and not peace so it's not so difficult to say they likely did it to demonstrate how insane they are.

Hans684
06-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Well they were supposed to be the worst of the Templars, caring only for power and not peace so it's not so difficult to say they likely did it to demonstrate how insane they are.

I'm hoping that the Unity Templars is going to be mixed, not black and white.

pirate1802
06-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Darby writing the assassins and Corey writing the Templars would be like a dream come true.

Hans684
06-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Darby writing the assassins and Corey writing the Templars would be like a dream come true.

Best idea so far.

Shahkulu101
06-16-2014, 09:03 PM

No derby nat rite troo azzasins luk at Edwurd he jzt pyrit nuthing do with creed

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 09:08 PM

The solution has been right here the entire time.

We were just too blind to see it.

pirate1802
06-16-2014, 09:09 PM
See ubi? Hire me now already. I have more such genius ideas where that came from, I guarantee

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm hoping that the Unity Templars is going to be mixed, not black and white.

At first the Templars will probably be moderate and sane but when you start to threaten them they might turn mad. Dunno.

Ureh
06-16-2014, 09:29 PM
The first one I always think of is the Tarik Barleti's speech. Cause he worried about his homeland. There's no words of warning, chiding, or disagreement. But I guess that's a black room speech.

White room would probably be Maria Thorpe's. Because I always mimic Altair's surprise, "What sorcery is this?!" And Malik's reaction to Altair's recounting is really funny too.

Hans684
06-16-2014, 09:35 PM
At first the Templars will probably be moderate and sane but when you start to threaten them they might turn mad. Dunno.

A question then, do you consider Edward Braddock a bad guy/evil/mad?

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 09:50 PM
A question then, do you consider Edward Braddock a bad guy?

Yeah he's a ****** bag. Killing people for literally no reason.

Hans684
06-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Yeah he's a ****** bag. Killing people for literally no reason.

"Were that we applied the sword more liberally and more often, the world would be a better place than it is today."
― Edward Braddock.

Edward Braddock(former Templar) killed for a better future just like the Assassins(who has their reasons) that apply the sword all the time, it's they tool to create a better place than today. In some cases the Assassins are right, other times the Templars are. As an example Connor started the AR, causing the death of a lot of innocents. Compared to the Colonial Templars who at their worst is responsible for the the Boston Massacre, sure innocent people died but it is nothing compared to the entire revolution. In this case Connor is the mad one. Then we have the Borgia's, no need to say more of the Assassin/Templar war during that time. It's clear as crystal by their name.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Edward Braddock killed an entire family including children because a dude called him selfish.

Hans684
06-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Edward Braddock killed an entire family including children because a dude called him selfish.

And how many families have Connor destroyed by starting the revolution?

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 10:15 PM
That's indirect and unintentional though.

Edward literally went up and killed them.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-16-2014, 10:18 PM

Yeah, dude was a ******!

Haytham: Edward was one of us, upon a time: I considered him a close friend. He was brave and bold in ways few men are. But everything changed at the siege of Bergen op Zoom. We had lost the fortress to the French, and were in the midst of egress. There was a skiff hidden at the port that we planned to make our escape. As we drew near, a young man and his family came upon us, begging for safe passage. I consented, but Edward refused. The young man called him craven... so Edward killed him and all the rest... even the children. To this day I do not know why. Was this the first time he'd struck out? Or had I simply never seen it before? Either way, things were never the same after that. We campaigned together a few more times, but each outing was more disturbing than the last. He killed and killed; enemy or ally, civilian or soldier, guilty or innocent, it mattered not. If he perceived one to be an obstacle, they died. He maintained violence was a more efficient solution: it became his mantra, and it broke my heart.

craven |ˈkrāvən| adjective
contemptibly lacking in courage; cowardly; a cowardly person.

And how many families have Connor destroyed by starting the revolution?

That was soooo not his fault, indirect and unintentional.

Hans684
06-16-2014, 10:21 PM
That's indirect and unintentional though.

Edward literally went up and killed them.

That was soooo not his fault, indirect and unintentional.

Connor literally killed Pitcairn and William, because of that he directly doomed his people and started a war. If he hadn't the outcome would be better, his people save and no war.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 10:22 PM
William actually was about to kill natives.

And Connor killed pitcairn because he thought he was harmful to his cause. His intentions weren't nearly as bad.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Connor literally killed Pitcairn and William, because of that he directly doomed his people and started a war. If he hadn't the outcome would be better, his people save and no war.

This shouldn't even be an argument.

Edward is mad, he kills merely to put people in their place, for merely questioning him. He thinks highly of himself and anyone to deny him that dies. Edward doesn't merely intend good things to happen he also kills people he has no business killing, people that aren't Templars, Assassins, or even have anything to do with the war at ALL.

Connor is merely a naive fool, intending good wholeheartedly while not being capable of analyzing everything appropriately.

Hans684
06-17-2014, 04:56 AM
This shouldn't even be an argument.

Edward is mad, he kills merely to put people in their place, for merely questioning him. He thinks highly of himself and anyone to deny him that dies. Edward doesn't merely intend good things to happen he also kills people he has no business killing, people that aren't Templars, Assassins, or even have anything to do with the war at ALL.

Connor is merely a naive fool, intending good wholeheartedly while not being capable of analyzing everything appropriately.

I don't care if it should or not.

When did I say Edward wasn't mad?

Indeed Connor is , and that just adds to my point.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 05:07 AM
I don't care if it should or not.

When did I say Edward wasn't mad?

Indeed Connor is , and that just adds to my point.

It actually detracts from your point which is the equivalent of saying that a child who accidentally sets his house on fire is just as bad as a serial killer who sets houses on fire to burn his victims.

One is ignorant to the consequences of their actions, the other knows full well the consequences and decides to do it anyways.

If you went into AC and you told Connor all of the consequences of his actions he would most likely rethink them in order to spare more people, if you tried the same with Edward Braddock on the other hand the only thing he'd do is avoid being killed by Haytham and continue slaughtering innocents on purpose to further his own ends.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 05:13 AM
Edward Braddock was a mad dog who deserved to be put down. When even Templars turn against you, you know you done ****ed up pretty bad..

Hans684
06-17-2014, 08:51 PM
It actually detracts from your point which is the equivalent of saying that a child who accidentally sets his house on fire is just as bad as a serial killer who sets houses on fire to burn his victims.

One is ignorant to the consequences of their actions, the other knows full well the consequences and decides to do it anyways.

If you went into AC and you told Connor all of the consequences of his actions he would most likely rethink them in order to spare more people, if you tried the same with Edward Braddock on the other hand the only thing he'd do is avoid being killed by Haytham and continue slaughtering innocents on purpose to further his own ends.

So basically the Templars are bad guys and Assassins the good guys. I never defended Edward you know, all I said is that what he does(even trough tint Templar anymore) is just what the Assassins to, cut anyone they find needed for a better future.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 09:17 PM
So basically the Templars are bad guys and Assassins the good guys. I never defended Edward you know, all I said is that what he does(even trough tint Templar anymore) is just what the Assassins to, cut anyone they find needed for a better future.

There is no bad and good in AC, both organizations do good and bad things. Ezio caused a lot of damage during his quests for example but Edward was most definitely bad.

Hans684
06-17-2014, 09:51 PM
There is no bad and good in AC, both organizations do good and bad things. Ezio caused a lot of damage during his quests for example but Edward was most definitely bad.

Finally, that was my overall point. No good and bad = gray. That is what I want in Unity.