PDA

View Full Version : Editor Tips/Tricks

PneumaticBog484
06-15-2014, 04:16 AM
The Trials Fusion Editor is massive, it's complex, and it takes considerable time to master. I know that RedLynx has some old Editor tutorial videos from Evolution on YouTube, but they only cover the basics of all the tools, objects, and options. Many of us, including myself, still had to learn much of the Editor ourselves. So I thought it might to useful to create some tips and tricks for anyone interested in becoming more familiar with the Editor.

Below is the list of the tips that I know of. Tips that cover basic knowledge are marked with an BASIC while tips that are more advanced are marked with an ADV. If anyone else has some useful tips/tricks that aren't on the list, just comment them below with their difficulty level and I'll try to add them to the list. Hopefully these skills can help everyone, new to the Editor or experienced!

Editing Tools

BASIC Use the Radial Menu

It provides quick access to the Editor Settings which you will change frequently, and is the only place where you can activate the Statistics Overlay, Object Finder, and Hide Connectors options, all of which are very useful (controls vary by platform; press down on the D-pad for Xbox).

BASIC Editor Camera movement

The camera you control in the Editor has two different ways of moving around, which can be swapped by changing the camera mode (controls vary by platform; press LS on the Xbox). Both modes are useful in their own ways, with the non-rotating camera being useful for editing the Driving Line and the rotating camera useful for decorating or viewing scenes from different angles. Try to become familiar with both modes.

BASIC Multi-select tool for better views

When you select objects, you cannot move the camera while holding those objects. This can be annoying if you want a better view. To move the camera while holding objects, hold the multi-select tool down and adjust the camera as you normally would (controls vary by platform; press LB on the Xbox). When finished, release the multi-select tool and you can once again move the objects, without having having to reselect them.

BASIC Auto-camera adjustment

In the Editor Settings, if the Focus Camera option is checked the Editor camera will auto-move and auto-rotate to an object when the object goes off the screen. This can be useful if you want to track an object as you move it, but can become annoying when working with large objects and tool cards. Turn off this option to have full control over the camera. With this option off, use the multi-select tool method above to make full use of the Editor camera.

BASIC Move Objects without placing them

Once an object is selected it can be freely moved around with the camera controls, but will not actually be placed on the track until the Place, Delete, Copy, or Object Properties button is pressed. This can be useful when testing a new location for an object without actually wanting to permanently move the object to that new location.

BASIC Change the Rotate Degrees

The "Rotate Fixed Degrees" button rotates an object by the Rotate Degrees number in Editor Setting (controls vary by platform; press LB while holding an object for Xbox). Each time the "Rotate Fixed Degrees" button is pressed, it adds the Rotate Degrees number to the objects selected axis. By default, the Rotate Degrees is 90. Try each of the Rotate Degrees numbers to see which number is useful to you. Set the Rotate Degrees to 15,30, or 45 to make the object always meet one of the right angles (0,90,180,270).

ADV Use the Snapping Tool frequently

Snapping will perfectly align an objects coordinates (X,Y,Z) to a snap point, based on the Snap settings. If you Snap an object again it will align the object's orientation (the object's angles). This can make realistic looking building and obstacles for your track as they will be perfectly aligned and parallel to each other. Snap settings are located in Editor Settings. If the options "Snap X", "Snap Y", and "Snap Z" are unchecked, Snapping will perfectly align the object to your Driving Line, and rotate it to match the Driving Line's angle (note that objects will always be snapped directly on top of your Driving Line and not off to the side). If those options are checked, Snapping will align the object to the nearest world point (X,Y,Z) that is a multiple of the Snap Distance option, and rotate it the object's base angle (usually 0,0,0). Smaller Snap Distances will create more points to Snap objects to. For example, with a Snap Distance of 0.50 an object could Snap its X coordinate to 120.00, 120.50, or 121.00. Each of those points is a multiple of 0.50. With a smaller Snap Distance like 0.10, there are more Snap points like 120.10, 120.20, etc. This means the object could be aligned more accurately as there are more places for it to be Snapped to.

ADV Snap objects with a Snap Workplace.

A Snap Workplace will allow you to customize where the Snapping grid is, when Snapping with X,Y,Z. Without a Snap Workplace the Editor Snaps to the Base World grid, which starts at (0,0,0). This can be bad if you want to align objects to something that isn't parallel to the Base World grid, like your Driving Line. To place a Snap Workplace select the "Snap Workplace - select target" option in Editor Settings and then pick an object in the world to be the new grid. All objects that are Snapped will now be Snapped to a grid with the center at your selected object. To place a Snap Workplace on your Driving Line, turn off the "Snap to X", "Snap to Y", and "Snap to Z" options and then snap a dummy object to your driving line. Make sure to press the snap button twice to align the dummy object's orientation (angle) to the driving line. Then in Editor Settings set the "Snap Workplace - select target" to the dummy object. Now turn "Snap to X", "Snap to Y", and "Snap to Z" back on. All objects from then on will be perfectly aligned to the grid on your driving line, allowing you to make building perfectly parallel to your Driving Line and not the Base World grid. Remember, SAVE your dummy object until you are completely done with your track, as the Snap Workplace is reset whenever you exit the Editor.

ADV Useful snap distances

In Editor Settings, turn on the Snap for all axis (X,Y,Z). Then set the Snap Distance to one of following values based on the objects you are working with...

> 0.25 or 0.50 - Will align most buildings and general objects that are meant to connect together, such as fences (try a snap distance of 0.20 or 0.10 for objects that don't meet perfectly)
> 1.20 or 1.40 - Will align tool cards to a neat grid with space in between each card, since cards are exactly 1.00 m large

Objects

BASIC Area Clear removing and returning Base World objects

Objects in the Base World can be manually deleted by selecting them, but they can also be automatically removed with the object Area Clear (location: Common->Game). In the Area Clear's object properties select which types of objects to be removed, and resize and move the Area Clear to your desired location. All Base World objects within the Area Clear's red bubble will then be removed. Area Clear can also return Base World objects that were manually deleted by covering the area they used to occupy, and then deleting or moving the Area Clear to a different location. All Base World objects formally within the red bubble will return to their original locations.

BASIC Rectangle as a single color background

Single color backgrounds can be created with the object Rectangle (location: Common->Decoration). I would recommend using Variation 11 of Rectangle as it is the largest. In the Materials option in the Rectanlge's object properties, set the Emission to be as much as possible and select your desired color. Rectangles' textures sometimes don't update correctly so you may have to move far away from the Rectangle and then return to it to update the texture. Once the Rectangle's texture loads correctly, it should display a monotone color. Rectangles will full Emission are not effected by light or shadows, making them useful as a single color background.

ADV Hidden standard objects

A few objects that can be found in the Base World aren't available in the various objects tabs. Below I list out the various objects and their coordinates. Use a Vector Object Info (location: Triggers&Events->Data Sources) to find the them. I would recommend selecting the object and saving it as a Favorite for use later. Objects marked with a '?' have no name when selected, so I gave them a name, and the (unlit) objects are visually the same as their Light object counterpart, but have no actual light casting part.

> Stadium Lights (unlit) - (664,33,709)
> Hero Light Beam - (694,92,759)
> ? Curved Roof - (228,128,579)
> Office Block 13 - (314,90,232)
> Street Lamp (unlit) - (-263,105,-1197)
> #xrotto_sculpture# - (-495,90,180)
> The Fifth Key - (1466.47,329.70,19.61) <--Thanks to Core2TOM for these coordinates!
> Street Lamp Twin w/ 3 variations (unlit) - (-144.16, 100.23, 439.35) <--Thanks to Core2TOM for these coordinates!

Tool Cards

ADV Separating Bound Controls

Through complex use of tool cards and the controller inputs, you can crudely separate the bound controls (RT/A, LT/X, LS/D-Pad). You can read how to do it in this Google Doc tutorial I made --> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1wIIcpAn9MykYDRmLceNISEz39rN_VAF1UTT0dJu3zgI/edit?pli=1

ADV Always Face another Object

With a short string of tool cards, you make an object always face another object such as your Rider. You can read how to do it in this Google Doc tutorial I made --> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1yU1ElpeJ24f2_oS4UB49IBgkyXwf73VP7F8E0OkFQVE/edit?pli=1

World

ADV Location of Base Water (0,0,0)

The Base Water for the entire Fusion World is located at point (0,0,0), below the bay of the Main City in the center of the Fusion World. It cannot be selected or moved, but can be deleted with an Area Clear that is placed on or very close to (0,0,0). The Area Clear must have "Base World Objects" selected under its object properties tab. To get the Area Clear to (0,0,0), place down a Vector Object Info (location: Triggers&Events->Data Sources), and select the Area Clear as its target object. Then, using the coordinates from the Vector Object Info datasource, move the Area Clear down underneath the map until it reaches point (0,0,0). When you have gotten close to (0,0,0) the water in the bay should disappear. Once this happens, place down the Area Clear and delete the Vector Object Info datasource. If you place the Area Clear down underneath the map and you want to get it back, simply press undo to return it to its original coordinates. Without any water in the bay you now have access to a once underwater area to create on.

ADV Location of Base Boundaries (238,193,490)

The Boundaries of the Fusion World are defined by the message that pops up on your screen saying "Camera near world limits" and fog that will cover the map. You are not be allowed to pass or place objects beyond these boundaries, which are on all four sides and the ceiling of the Fusion World. The center for these boundaries is located at point (238,193,490). It cannot be selected or moved but can be deleted with an Area Clear that is placed on or very close to (238,193,490). The Area Clear must have "Base World Objects" selected under its object properties tab. To get the Area Clear to (238,193,490), use the method described above (Location of Base Water) with a Vector Object Info datasource. Once you have placed the Area Clear at (238,193,490), all boundaries for the Fusion World are removed and you may freely move and place objects at any point between: X coordinates 2000 and -2000; Y coordinates 2000 and the World ground terrain; Z coordinates 2000 and -2000. The "Camera near world limits" message will also be removed and the fog that covers the map near limits. WARNING: I have NOT tested what happens when in-game near the +-2000 limits so proceed with caution.

ADV Location of Physical Water Bodies

The Physical Water Bodies in the Fusion World create the underwater effect that is visible when entering the Base Water, and provide all the physics associated with the Base Water. Essentially, when removed they turn the Base Water into an object without a physical body. It can be passed through without underwater effects and all physics objects will pass straight through the water. This can be useful when the Base Water is desired as an aesthetic backdrop, but the effects of the Base Water are not desired. This is best demonstrated when "digging" or pushing terrain lower than the Base Water level, as water physics are still present even without an actual water texture. Use this method to gain access to these lower depths without the water effects.

Physical Water Bodies are located at various points around the map, and they each supply water effects for a section of the Base Water. They cannot be selected or moved, but can be deleted with an Area Clear that is placed on or very close to their position. The Area Clear must have "Base World Objects" selected under its object properties tab. To get the Area Clear to the following coordinates, use the method described above (Location of Base Water) with a Vector Object Info datasource. Once placed, the effects associated with water will be removed for that section.

> Main City Physical Water Body - (-750,62,0)
> Desert City Physical Water Body - (??,??,??)
> Top Left Corner Physical Water Body - (??,??,??)
> Crater Lands Physical Water Body - (??,??,??)

ADV Removing foliage that won't delete with Area Clear

When using Area Clear, some foliage such as grass and bushes won't delete even when inside the red bubble of Area Clear. To get rid of these unwanted Base World objects, place down a Terrain Shaping tool (location: Environment->Terrain Modification). Set the Category option in the object properties to "Surfaces", and select the Decal "Metal 3" (it is the last Decal). Then modify the Terrain Shape's size to be as large as desired and move the object so that it covers your desired area (Metal 3 should produce the largest coverage of an area). Once you have resized and moved it, go to the Terrain Shape's object properties and change the Alpha to 0%. Also make sure the Decal option is checked, and that the Clear Foliage option is checked. The shiny Metal texture should now be invisible and all the foliage that was within the Metal texture should be gone as well. Repeat this process for as many areas as desired (you can actually use any of Decals in the Terrain Shape's object properties, but Metal 3 provides the largest coverage of an area).

Thanks for reading!

- PneumaticBog484

Edit #1: Added Fifth Key Coordinates from Core2TOM
Edit #2: Added Street Lamp Twin from Core2TOM
Edit #3: Added Separate Bound Controls trick
Edit #4: Added Always Face another Object trick
Edit #5: Changed the difficulty of some tips
Edit $6: Added Location of Physical Water Bodies

Jeruhnq
06-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Very good thread, I hope it will help the new players to make better tracks.
Btw you can edit the "Hidden standard objects" and add "the fifth key" :)

PneumaticBog484
07-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Very good thread, I hope it will help the new players to make better tracks.
Btw you can edit the "Hidden standard objects" and add "the fifth key" :)

I would add the Fifth key to the list, but I can't find it again... Can you find it again?

Core2TOM
07-07-2014, 10:30 PM
The Fifth Key: 1466.47, 329.70, 19.61 (inside the mountain)

the other "secret objects" i found are just some bugs with colors, sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kjYk9qfmw

PneumaticBog484
07-08-2014, 02:17 AM
The Fifth Key: 1466.47, 329.70, 19.61 (inside the mountain)

the other "secret objects" i found are just some bugs with colors, sorry.

<--VIDEO-->

Thanks for those coordinates Tom! And yah I've seen some weird things in the base world... Go to the Airport and look at the size of the "Gates" object on those buildings. Compare it to the one under the "Buildings" objects. It's huge!!!! So maybe we get to re-size objects in a future update?!?!?! :D

empecee
07-08-2014, 10:48 AM
wish i had read this spent ages trying to sus out the snap grid for the small pipes as i have a major probs with small items . old and fat hands . . did find that 0.25 worked and was going to make a thred for other items if people wanted to contribute , but it looks like you got it covered . so thanks . been trying to get the snap grid working for years hate that i could never get it working .thats why i take ages to build

PneumaticBog484
07-08-2014, 01:30 PM
wish i had read this spent ages trying to sus out the snap grid for the small pipes as i have a major probs with small items . old and fat hands . . did find that 0.25 worked and was going to make a thred for other items if people wanted to contribute , but it looks like you got it covered . so thanks . been trying to get the snap grid working for years hate that i could never get it working .thats why i take ages to build

Yah, before I used the Snap grid, my OCD would make me align all the parts perfectly by hand.... but now the Snap Grid does it for me :)

If you want to work with REALLY small parts, I would suggest .05 or .10 snap distances.

And now I have a new problem; my right thumb is starting to hurt from pressing Snap too much! :D

SparkierJoNESZ
07-08-2014, 03:14 PM
didn't know you could remove base world water :D nice
nobody tried going beyond the 2000 boundries yet?

poor kidmpc not knowing how to work with snap

PneumaticBog484
07-10-2014, 12:51 AM
didn't know you could remove base world water :D nice
nobody tried going beyond the 2000 boundries yet?

poor kidmpc not knowing how to work with snap

Yup, it took me a LONG time to find the location of the barriers at (238,193,490). It took a lot of moving Area Clears around....

And you can't go beyond +2000/-2000 limit, it just allows you to reach those limits. Previously the map would get foggy and it would say "Camera near World Limits" at around +1900/-1900. Right now the only difference I can find is that if you hit the 2000 limit hard enough with a physics object, you can actually get stuck inside the border :D

Core2TOM
07-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Street lamp - twin: no light, but 3 variations instead of 1
-144.16, 100.23, 439.35

Zorsselsson
07-31-2014, 06:07 AM
I found that you can remove the water, but leave the water surface, and there seems to be multiple of those "water effect" blocks there. They seem to divide the game world into a grid.

PneumaticBog484
08-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Street lamp - twin: no light, but 3 variations instead of 1
-144.16, 100.23, 439.35

Nice find! I've added it to the list.

I found that you can remove the water, but leave the water surface, and there seems to be multiple of those "water effect" blocks there. They seem to divide the game world into a grid.

I have noticed this too, and I've even found some Water Effect blocks that are placed at an angle :eek: (like the canal in the Main City). Have you found any specific coordinates for these Water Effect blocks? If you have I'll add them to the list.

PneumaticBog484
08-06-2014, 12:21 AM
I've added how to Separate Bound Controls to the list. :)

I'll add how to make a "Head" follow the Rider (like my Oceanus track) in the next few days.

PneumaticBog484
08-13-2014, 04:47 AM
I've added how to have an Object Always Face another Object to the list, similar to the Titan in my Oceanus track.

Core2TOM
10-02-2014, 05:51 PM
whoa!!! look what Nibor1hats found, thats just awesome! :eek:
now my question to redlynx: can i use this in my tracks? i really hope you dont fix this and take all those nice sounds away from us.
"our tools are your tools" right? :) btw i wonder why so much sounds are not available by default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB9_L7SHh_g

RetiredRonin
10-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Nice find. I'm not going to go out of my way to mention it... :D

Can you save that one sound source as a favorite and use it in other tracks?

Core2TOM
10-02-2014, 05:59 PM
yes :)

PneumaticBog484
10-02-2014, 08:19 PM
whoa!!! look what Nibor1hats found, thats just awesome! :eek:
now my question to redlynx: can i use this in my tracks? i really hope you dont fix this and take all those nice sounds away from us.
"our tools are your tools" right? :) btw i wonder why so much sounds are not available by default

Oh snap! Awesome find Tom! :D

For the love of that Squirrel Disco, please don't patch this Shifty. Or just wait until I've saved it as a favorite ;)

Should I add it to the list?

Jeruhnq
10-09-2014, 09:09 PM
@Core2TOM "squirrel's disco loop" and "Way of the machine" ?

Another proof that the DLC are already made :nonchalance: #conspiracy

Core2TOM
10-10-2014, 01:15 PM
no, this sound source is updated with each dlc. it also includes some sounds from the Abyss dlc now ;)

Jeruhnq
10-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Ok, i'll check the new songs so :p

funktastic-
10-16-2014, 12:09 PM
does anyone know if you use these sounds in a track you upload will they be heard or just come across to the downloader as silent. I mean will the player have had to actually save the sound source to his favourites if you understand what i mean. I have made a game using them its not finished yet but didn't want to upload without knowing it works correctly and the player can actually hear them. The dance music is better than some of the songs in the dl's lol

Core2TOM
10-16-2014, 12:33 PM
you can hear the sounds. illobear used them in his last track

PneumaticBog484
02-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Updated the difficulty of some of the tips. If anyone has some tips or tricks, post them here and I'll add them to the list!

PneumaticBog484
06-01-2015, 02:39 AM
Added the Physical Water Bodies section. These things are going to be pretty hard to find, but I already pin-pointed one of them. The one I found removes the water effects for almost the entire bottom half of the Fusion World. I'll find the last few this coming weekend and update their positions on the original post. Kudos to Megamanne for mentioning this in a previous post, he was the first to notice that the water texture and water physics are not contained within the same object. :)

If anyone has some tips or tricks, post them here and I'll add them to the list.