PDA

View Full Version : Storming of the Bastille?.

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 08:44 PM
In the cinematic Co-op trailer it looks very much like the storming of the Bastille at the beginning of the revolution?.
http://i.imgur.com/ozJWbP5.jpg

I think it is isn't it?.

eagleforlife1
06-14-2014, 09:07 PM
It is indeed. The date given at the beginning of the trailer was 14th July 1789; the date of the Storming of the Bastille. Also, the commander of the Bastille, Bernard-Rene de Launay, threatened to blow up the Bastille, as well as everyone inside with gunpowder; exactly what happens in the trailer.

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 09:09 PM
It is indeed. The date given at the beginning of the trailer was 14th July 1789; the date of the Storming of the Bastille. Also, the commander of the Bastille, Bernard-Rene de Launay, threatened to blow everyone in the fortress with gunpowder; exactly what happens in the trailer.

Ooooh right, thanks for that…i didn't pay attention to the date in the trailer.

Its brilliant they added little feature in it, like the gunpowder.

GunnerGalactico
06-14-2014, 09:16 PM
It is indeed. The date given at the beginning of the trailer was 14th July 1789; the date of the Storming of the Bastille. Also, the commander of the Bastille, Bernard-Rene de Launay, threatened to blow everyone in the fortress with gunpowder; exactly what happens in the trailer.

I knew something about that seemed familiar.

marvelfannumber
06-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Really this is a thread? I would have thought this would have been pretty obvious, but whatevers.

I do wonder if they will tear The Bastille down brick by brick in the game like they did in real life too, that would be pretty sweet.

http://i.imgur.com/CEBadqj.jpg

In fact maybe me shud make thread bout something simillar.....

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Meh, i thought it would be a good question to ask…

This topic could be for other events too i guess, and yeah it would be damn cool if they tore it down like in the real thing.

marvelfannumber
06-14-2014, 10:04 PM
This topic could be for other events too i guess, and yeah it would be damn cool if they tore it down like in the real thing.

Yeah, in fact I would like to see other things that came down historically come down in the game aswell, including but not limited to:

http://i.imgur.com/4EwVOlE.jpg

(torn down in 1793 due to religuous imagery)

http://i.imgur.com/T8UJx83.jpg

(cathedral to the right torn down in ? due to reasons of ?)

http://i.imgur.com/zerZjNe.jpg

(these guys due to misinterpreting)

http://i.imgur.com/zCTmB78.jpg

(this building due to fire and stuff)

http://i.imgur.com/DKnhCVm.jpg

(churches to the left due to religous significance again I presume)

Also, wow they really messed up the street layout near Notre Dame in Unity didn't they?

Sushiglutton
06-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Really this is a thread? I would have thought this would have been pretty obvious, but whatevers.

I do wonder if they will tear The Bastille down brick by brick in the game like they did in real life too, that would be pretty sweet.

In fact maybe me shud make thread bout something simillar.....

Yeah there should be a minecraft mini-game where we take the Bastille apart brick by brick and then build the Millenium Falcon!

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 10:07 PM
I remember going into a cathedral in the town of Jossyln in France (not in Paris, in Brittany…although the Revolution happened all over france)…and the cathedral kinda got vandalised during that time, all the statues of saints and such had their heads chipped off…freaky.

marvelfannumber
06-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Yeah there should be a minecraft mini-game where we take the Bastille apart brick by brick and then build the Millenium Falcon!

Exactly and then Godzilla shows up and shoots at the Millenium Falcon but the Millenium Falcon shoots rainbow beams at Godzilla and causes a massive explosion which blows up all of France!

Or something like that.

Sushiglutton
06-14-2014, 10:11 PM
I remember going into a cathedral in the town of Jossyln in France (not in Paris, in Brittany…although the Revolution happened all over france)…and the cathedral kinda got vandalised during that time, all the statues of saints and such had their heads chipped off…freaky.

Reminds me of Angkor Wat where the Khmer Rouge had decapitated all the Budha statues.

Exactly and then Godzilla shows up and shoots at the Millenium Falcon but the Millenium Falcon shoots rainbow beams at Godzilla and causes a massive explosion which blows up all of France!

Or something like that.

Optional Objective: Save Luke hanging from the Cloud City space station

LoyalACFan
06-14-2014, 11:47 PM
This topic could be for other events too i guess.

Tbh I hope they don't go overboard with the events like AC3. If there's a cool moment that makes sense for the Assassin to be present in, then by all means include it. But don't force me into a QTE filling Marat's bathtub for him or something.

Farlander1991
06-15-2014, 12:04 AM
On a slight side-note, regarding the CGI trailer, I love all the little details in it, like one of the Assassins making a bow/salute to the guy who saved him by firing a phantom blade... all the teamwork stuff, basically :)

Tbh I hope they don't go overboard with the events like AC3. If there's a cool moment that makes sense for the Assassin to be present in, then by all means include it. But don't force me into a QTE filling Marat's bathtub for him or something.

To be fair, the only REALLY out of place events were the signing of Independence and Battle of Chesapeake. Others all fit the general story and come along with Connor's current goals at the time, even if the implementation of those events was wonky.

LoyalACFan
06-15-2014, 12:29 AM
To be fair, the only REALLY out of place events were the signing of Independence and Battle of Chesapeake. Others all fit the general story and come along with Connor's current goals at the time, even if the implementation of those events was wonky.

I dunno, Monmouth, Revere's Ride, and the Boston Massacre felt pretty forced to me too. Why would he sit and man a cannon instead of going after Lee who was sabotaging the battle? Why would he chauffeur Revere instead of splitting up and dividing the task in half? And he just so happened to arrive in Boston for the first time in his life on the exact day his father instigated the massacre? Meh. Very contrived IMO. I hated the way Lexington was handled too, but at least it made sense for him to be there. Just not in the role of commander.

Storming of the Bastille makes sense, and would make for good gameplay. Hopefully they stick with that trend, although at least there won't be any major battles to shoehorn him into.

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 12:31 AM
The massacre of the Swiss guard might be shoehorned in too.

LoyalACFan
06-15-2014, 12:34 AM
The massacre of the Swiss guard might be shoehorned in too.

But see, I feel like that makes sense from a story perspective if Arno was trying to prevent it or track down the men responsible. As long as it isn't one of those godawful "defend NPC's in a fight" missions.

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 12:37 AM
But see, I feel like that makes sense from a story perspective if Arno was trying to prevent it or track down the men responsible. As long as it isn't one of those godawful "defend NPC's in a fight" missions.
True that, it would make a good and relevant mission...I would just hope it's done properly, and not a "Protect" mission like you said.
Although, good news is that they've said that they'll get rid of the annoying cliche missions.

Wonder what the execution of the Royal family will be like though.

DumbGamerTag94
06-15-2014, 12:55 AM
Well actually it was more important at Monmouth for him to hold back the British and allow the Continental Army to retreat than going after Lee. If you know your history of the Revolution Monmouth was sabotaged by Charles Lee who was selling out the patriots to the British(it is believed he turned when he was held prisoner in NY in 1777 as documents from Lee were found in General William Howe's estate). He then was relieved of command and he fled to Philadelphia where he begged for his job back(he's lucky he wasn't executed). But if Lees gambit had succeeded the Continental army would have been destroyed at Monmouth. But Washington found out and ordered a regrouping(personally running in front of his own men's rifles to make them stop firing since Lees forces were retreating directly into Washington's friendlies which I wish they had shown). If Conner hadn't held off the British long enough to allow the Continentals to regroup it wouldn't have mattered if Lee was dead. The Americans would have lost the war. Fortunately in the real battle the British were bloodied enough in the fighting(witch actually was mostly cannon fire covering the retreat. Look up Molly Pitcher. Which is where I think Connor comes from in that sequence) that they coudn't attack the reorganized Continentals. Meaning the battle ended in a draw and strategic victory for america by forcing the Brits to retreat to New York where they were surrounded and bottled in. So basically they went for broke at that battle and nearly lost everything. Only managing to turn it around and practically win the war by the skin of their teeth. That's why it was more important to man the cannons. Lee was really in no position to pose a threat after the retreat began anyway because he was removed from command and ran to safety in Philadelphia. But Conner thinks he's in New York(where Connor then tried to hunt him down at fort George only to realize it was Haytham and not him).

Paul Revere's ride made sense in the story. Just it felt cheesy sharing a horse. At the least they could have had separate horses and it would have felt better.

And I felt the boston massacre was ok. Sure it was a little too convieniently timed. I would rather he have made two trips there and the massacre was on the second. Maybe the first time could have just been a tunnel intro and Meeting Sam Adams and the sons of liberty.

But in all seriousness all of the events he goes to and how he takes part in them makes sense if you go into the minute details of each thing. Like the battle of Monmouth for instance.

And I now that I think about it Chesapeke makes sense too because he couldn't just walk in to New York. Especially fort George with literally the entire British army having retreated there after Monmouth. So his only option was to shell the fort. But how? Washington's field guns can't reach across the Hudson. And the Continental Navy didn't have the power to break through the British Blockade around New York. So who did have the naval power? The French! So he had to aid the French Navy and request assistance from Degrasse and he had to take part in the battle or why would the French help him. And it also had the added bonus of killing two birds with one stone by allowing the British to have no escape from Yorktown. Making Washington's siege succeed and Cornwallis surrendered his army. Winning the War for good. By taking out the only remaining effective field army the British had in America. So it was a win win for Connor.

LoyalACFan
06-15-2014, 01:20 AM
If you know your history of the Revolution Monmouth was sabotaged by Charles Lee who was selling out the patriots to the British. He then was relieved of command and he fled to the arms of the British in New York.

Ridiculous, this is all conjecture that has never been definitively proven. He was arrested for insubordination and relieved of command for one year; if he had been found guilty of treachery he'd have been hanged. In the AC canon, however, he was actively sabotaging the battle, and Connor could have done much more good by taking him out rather than manning a cannon. Obviously that couldn't happen since he didn't historically die there, but nevertheless they inexplicably had Connor appear there anyway for another lazy, poorly executed battle sequence.

I didn't really have a problem with the Battle of the Chesapeake, other than my general complaints about Connor magically being the best captain ever with no training.

DumbGamerTag94
06-15-2014, 01:27 AM
@Loyal. I had actually fact checked and corrected that after I wrote it and you were typing. I was going off of memory originally. I apologize for the original inaccuracies.

But as for Lees treachery. It has been proven that during Lee's capture in 1777 he drew up plans with the British on ways to attack the Continentals. Also in the 1840s letters both signed by Lee and others in his handwriting were found in General William Howe's estate. It has been suggested by many historians that Lee may have been another Benedict Arnold. And was suggested to not be trust worthy by Washington's Culper spy ring at the time.(which I wish they had made a significant part of the story. They already had Ben Tallmadge there)

Megas_Doux
06-15-2014, 01:33 AM

Everything makes MUCH more sense than Connor being at the second continental congress haha.

LoyalACFan
06-15-2014, 02:02 AM
@Loyal. I had actually fact checked and corrected that after I wrote it and you were typing. I was going off of memory originally. I apologize for the original inaccuracies.

But as for Lees treachery. It has been proven that during Lee's capture in 1777 he drew up plans with the British on ways to attack the Continentals. Also in the 1840s letters both signed by Lee and others in his handwriting were found in General William Howe's estate. It has been suggested by many historians that Lee may have been another Benedict Arnold. And was suggested to not be trust worthy by Washington's Culper spy ring at the time.(which I wish they had made a significant part of the story. They already had Ben Tallmadge there)

Nah, we're cool, I just thought you were saying Lee got charged with treason and only got a year's suspension from command, which is SO not what happened lol

I knew about the letters he had written during his captivity, but I couldn't remember who they were written for and how authentic they were so I didn't bring them up.

DumbGamerTag94
06-15-2014, 03:45 AM
Nah, we're cool, I just thought you were saying Lee got charged with treason and only got a year's suspension from command, which is SO not what happened lol

I knew about the letters he had written during his captivity, but I couldn't remember who they were written for and how authentic they were so I didn't bring them up.

Yeah it's fine. I didn't mean to say he was tried for treason. I meant to say that had they known then what's known now they should have. Its fairly clear that if Lee wasn't a turncoat. He was at the very least playing both sides. And in all likelihood probably sabotaged Monmouth in an attempt to not be killed by the British(since at that time it seemed they were winning and they may have made a deal while he was in captivity as the letters to Howe after his captivity would suggest).

But my point is that the events of AC3 really do make sense when you pick them apart down to the last detail. It's actually impressive how well researched that had to be to find ways to fit the AC story into those events in a way that almost falls in line perfectly with how things actually happened.

Now they embellish some thing of course as it's a work of fiction. And take liberty with some of the characters traits. But overall they stay pretty true to how things went down. But they bend things to suit their cause of course. Like they took the factual dealings and scheming of Charles Lee with the British. And bent that to him working with the Templars instead. Which manages to keep all the major events still the way they happened. Only with a different reason or motive. Which I find really cool about AC. If you want to learn about how events went down and who was there it's amazing how good they are at recreating that. But if you want to know what a person was like or what motivated them. It's not the place to look. Because that's where the Fiction part of the historic fiction comes in.

Farlander1991
06-15-2014, 07:04 AM
I dunno, Monmouth, Revere's Ride, and the Boston Massacre felt pretty forced to me too.

As I said, it's problems with implementation more than that event doesn't fit at all. Commanding a cannon force is 'eeeeeeeeeeeh?', especially from gameplay perspective, but generally speaking (not counting that) Connor is in a hurry finding Lee before he messes more things up for him and the Patriots, it makes sense for him to turn up in the event where he does just that. After all, this is the sequence where everything goes wrong, where he finds out that both his father and washington are manipulative bastards, that Washington was responsible, that his village is about to get destroyed and that Lee turned his village against him and is going to ruin everything he fought for (to get in command instead of Washington) as it concerns the patriots. Monmouth fits.

Revere's Ride... The problem is more with the 'sit with Revere on the same horse' rather than 'no reason for Connor to help him or be there'.

And Boston Massacre, while somewhat convenient, is actually probably one of the two best implemented historical events in AC3 (the other one being the Tea Party). Yes, it's kinda convenient (but, hey, conveniences aren't bad by default), but when we get to Boston we see thing starting to steer up, then we have the event itself, and then we spend quite a considerable amount of time in the aftermath. There's a flow to how the event goes, it's not just 'throw this in here' like signing of independence or Chesapeake.