PDA

View Full Version : Word of God confirmation on outfit customization (and customization in general)

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-12-2014, 02:07 AM
Here's some confirmation by Word of God that we get to totally customize Arno from our skill set and weapons as well as our outfits (hence the different looking Assassins in co-op)

@8:40 in the video...

We're letting everybody customize Arno in a way where for example, you could chose, you get skill points in the game and you can choose to spend those skill points and buy and upgrade skills. And then you have all these gear elements. You have, you know, hoods, you have the actual suit, you have gauntlets, gloves, you have belts, you have boots. And all these different elements actually, not only are they visually different but they have an actual impact on gameplay. And then you have the weapons. Traditionally in AC, weapons were all, they all had the same stats. Not anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKot7Sy9Qo#t=8m40s

That's awesome. I posted a thread showing off pre-order DLC in Italy that I found for Unity that showed DLC hoods, suits, and pants in addition to DLC weapons. We also saw a co-op Assassin with an almost Jester-like hood in the back which is remarkably different from past hoods. You have the default/standard hood which seems to be a basic hood that the "main" Arno wore but the other Assassins appear to have hoods with beaks so that's cool. Hopefully we can dye those hood and outfit pieces to whatever colors we want as well.

JustPlainQuirky
06-12-2014, 02:15 AM
I hope the most efficient outfit isn't butt-ugly.

Really limits my options.

What if my favorite costume turns out to be one of the weakest?

Layytez
06-12-2014, 02:18 AM
AC has been missing this. Thank you Ubisoft.

Legendz54
06-12-2014, 02:21 AM
Great news isn't it? Always wanted to customise my Assassin to suit my play style and now at least I wont be overpowered when the game starts and i can actually work my way up as the game goes on.. what's better is that your unlocks carry over to Online too :)

He was going to explain more about weapons but then the guy cut him off :( Greg Miller traits..

Wolfmeister1010
06-12-2014, 02:21 AM
I hope the most efficient outfit isn't butt-ugly.

Really limits my options.

What if my favorite costume turns out to be one of the weakest?

Gud cause moar difficulty

JustPlainQuirky
06-12-2014, 02:22 AM
Gud cause moar difficulty

Not gud. I wanna have whatever difficulty I like with whatever fashion I like. :cool:

Wolfmeister1010
06-12-2014, 02:23 AM
not gud. I wanna have whatever difficulty i like with whatever fashion i like. :cool:

no. You will wear the nutcracker outfit and you will like it.

JustPlainQuirky
06-12-2014, 02:52 AM
no. You will wear the nutcracker outfit and you will like it.

NOOO Anything but the Nutcracker!

ArabianFrost
06-12-2014, 03:16 AM
i'll wear the crappiest gear and spend all my skill points on candy.
#2hardcore4u

Shahkulu101
06-12-2014, 03:28 AM
i'll wear the crappiest gear and spend all my skill points on candy.
#2hardcore4u

I think imma try a h4rdcore playthrough though as it's the closest thing we have to difficulty levels.

JustPlainQuirky
06-12-2014, 03:44 AM
Can I run around with nothing but a hood and boxers?

poptartz20
06-12-2014, 04:19 AM
^ Hahah! I was wondering the same thing. xD

But I do think one thing that is awesome, is the much needed added Ai hopefully it's in all aspects of the game guards included! I love the fact of how a tailing mission adapts instead of De-syncing.

JustPlainQuirky
06-12-2014, 04:32 AM
I don't blame Ubisoft for having 'terrible' AI.

AI is freakin' hard to program, yo.

So many things you need to have that character process and respond to.

Shahkulu101
06-12-2014, 04:34 AM

Yeah but it's like they chose to make it dumb so the game was easy. And ubi are top developers, they should produce top development standards.

mhg87
06-12-2014, 04:35 AM
Can I run around with nothing but a hood and boxers?

This needs to happen, if only for the visual of a Templar ****ting himself at the sight of 4 pantless Assassins.

poptartz20
06-12-2014, 04:35 AM

But... But.... it has been in development for 4 years!?

lol.

JustPlainQuirky
06-12-2014, 04:36 AM
Yeah but it's like they chose to make it dumb so the game was easy. And ubi are top developers, they should produce top development standards.

Ehhh....Maybe.

I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Skyward Sword has a good example of Enemy AI in my opinion. I'm trying to think of another example. Hmm...

Pantherine
06-12-2014, 06:22 AM
I also will be disappointed if the worst outfit in appearance is the best practically. Shame we can't balances the stats out.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Yeah... if I absolutely love an outfit but it's not the best, I'm totally okay with sacrificing stats for aesthetics. I typically play RPGs the same way. Like Skyrim or Fallout, I'll wear whatever I think is cool even if it's just a weak set of robes that doesn't even augment my magicka. In some games, I prefer to not have the best stats. In Splinter Cell Blacklist, they did the same thing with different stats for outfits and one of the best was the classic outfit but if you wear the complete set, you're basically able to run past enemies which I don't like so I typically only use the torso portion.

For Unity, I just want to rock the the white/red robes and beaked hood. Looks like there might be different types of beaks too judging from the promo image of the 4 Assassins so that'll be cool to pick my favorite beak style haha.

Jayden_TSoni
06-12-2014, 10:02 AM
So we're going to have a skill-tree like Watch_Dogs? It makes no sense.

roostersrule2
06-12-2014, 10:04 AM
So we're going to have a skill-tree like Watch_Dogs? It makes no sense.Why not?

It adds a lot to the game.

AherasSTRG
06-12-2014, 10:14 AM
So we're going to have a skill-tree like Watch_Dogs? It makes no sense.

With the exception that, in Watch Dogs, you can unlock all skills as time progresses. In ACU, it seems like that

- either you won't have enough skill points to unlock all skills
- or you will have to choose to use only some of your skills at each given mission

And I agree. It makes no sense. It is a total *****-slap to the Assassin's Creed mythos. But it is one of the features people have been asking for the most and as an avid RPG fan myself, I believe I will grow to love it.

Jayden_TSoni
06-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Why not?

It adds a lot to the game.

I give you an example: In Far Cry 3, players can enhance Jason with skills such as "slip".

It makes no sense, why Jason needs to be upgraded? Everyone can slide! Ezio in AC2 acquired the skill of the long jump after that he hath been taught by Rosa, this makes sense. Arno that runs faster after gaining experience points for killing the guards does not make sense.

I hope that the experience points are divided into categories. If Arno kills 10 guards, may potentiate the heavy attack, but not the race.

AherasSTRG
06-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Well, I believe the skill trees are against the Assassin's Creed mythos, because, in AC games you get to relive the life of one of the modern day protagonist's ancestor. It is a set, predetermined story. For example, Altair was good with stealth kills, Connor was skilled in the use of the Tomahawk, Edward could utilise 2 swords at once, Ezio had great combat capabilities etc etc. But what will Arno be good at? Letting the player decide and allowing him to change his decisions through out the game will cost Arno the collective identity the previous assassins have been maintaining for years.

Don't take me wrong. I am delighted by the idea of how many new things this system can bring to the franchise. It is just that I can't personally deny the above.

roostersrule2
06-12-2014, 10:27 AM
I give you an example: In Far Cry 3, players can enhance Jason with skills such as "slip".

It makes no sense, why Jason needs to be upgraded? Everyone can slide! Ezio in AC2 acquired the skill of the long jump after that he hath been taught by Rosa, this makes sense. Arno that runs faster after gaining experience points for killing the guards does not make sense.

I hope that the experience points are divided into categories. If Arno kills 10 guards, may potentiate the heavy attack, but not the race.I can understand that, I'd probably even like it to be like that. However it's a game and games don't have to be realistic in instances such as this.

Jayden_TSoni
06-12-2014, 10:32 AM
I can understand that, I'd probably even like it to be like that. However it's a game and games don't have to be realistic in instances such as this.

Narrative, not realism. :)

If you want to tell a story, the game world must be consistent.

roostersrule2
06-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Narrative, not realism. :)

If you want to tell a story, the game world must be consistent.Not necessarily. There a plenty of games with unrealistic features and great stories. This isn't a immersion breaking type of unrealistic feature anyway.

Jayden_TSoni
06-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Not necessarily. There a plenty of games with unrealistic features and great stories. This isn't a immersion breaking type of unrealistic feature anyway.

Yeah, i know, but AC is not one of them.

Farlander1991
06-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Well, I believe the skill trees are against the Assassin's Creed mythos, because, in AC games you get to relive the life of one of the modern day protagonist's ancestor. It is a set, predetermined story. For example, Altair was good with stealth kills, Connor was skilled in the use of the Tomahawk, Edward could utilise 2 swords at once, Ezio had great combat capabilities etc etc. But what will Arno be good at? Letting the player decide and allowing him to change his decisions through out the game will cost Arno the collective identity the previous assassins have been maintaining for years.

Don't take me wrong. I am delighted by the idea of how many new things this system can bring to the franchise. It is just that I can't personally deny the above.

The thing is, while AC is about reliving life of an ancestor, you don't just relive it the way it happened, you try synchronize with it. We know that the Animus users are not just passive watchers, they're active participants. In Assassin's Creed 1, in-universe, we try to wiggle our way from synchronization point to synchronization point - those being the cutscenes, where we are shown a fixed narrative. But everything in-between those narrative points is very blurry.

We can start killing a lot of guards, for example. But that doesn't mean that Altair has ever done that (btw, in AC1 after every battle there was a 'resynchronizing' action which would 'reset' the guards, explaining why mass murders can go unnoticed a little while later). In an Assassination mission we can either do it as stealthily as possible, or go in guns blazing - the very fact of player control adds blurriness to the history.

And let's not forget about jumping between times. For example, in ACB and ACIII we can complete missions years apart. For example, we can disrupt Juan Borgia's banking operations after we killed Cesare, because we're jumping between memories trying to synchronize ourselves with the ancestor by filling in the 'missing data' (that being the gameplay), but this process will never be perfect.

Not to mention the fact that each player has their own main character essentially, and will have his own Arno in a sense. If the player chooses to upgrade combat capabilities first - then that's how Arno did it. If the player chooses to upgrade parkour - then that's what Arno did in the past. Same goes with the Adaptive Mission Structure they're planning for the game. Because the gameplay itself is linear, if we tailed the Templar to the location of his base, that's how Arno did it. If we assassinated him on the way and took a letter - then that's how Arno did it. If we chased him over the streets of Paris - then that's how Arno did it. We'll look at it, after all, in a linear fashion. (And even if it's not, still the main goal would be the synchronization goal - the narrative beat that we get after finding our way to the base).

I feel like the optional objectives introduced a very narrow view of the synchronization concept, where everything must be very precise according to history, but the beauty of the Animus and the synchronization concept is in the very fact that history can be bent, and that each player can have their own version of history.

AherasSTRG
06-12-2014, 11:04 AM
@Farlander
But even with all the liberty the Animus has been giving us, all of the actions of the previous assassins were moving around common denominators. Each one of them had signature weapons, kills, skills and approaches, which made up their identity and which we took into consideration when we faced the question "who is your favorite assassin".

What will "Arno is my favorite assassin" mean in a year's time? At a personal level it could mean that "I created a badass skill tree for him and I totally loved the way I tackled the various challenges of the game". Collectively, however, we will only be able to talk about Arno as a favorite assassin story-wise.

Again, I totally love the idea of skill trees and crafting your own assassin. But then again, I believe the above will happen.

Farlander1991
06-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Each one of them had signature weapons, kills, skills and approaches, which made up their identity and which we took into consideration when we faced the question "who is your favorite assassin".

What will "Arno is my favorite assassin" mean in a year's time? At a personal level it could mean that "I created a badass skill tree for him and I totally loved the way I tackled the various challenges of the game". Collectively, however, we will only be able to talk about Arno as a favorite assassin story-wise.

I think the basic set of abilities is going to be enough to show Arno's 'flare' and prowess, everything else is just going to be additional layers. The thing is, for example, we can spend the whole AC2 without Ezio ever learning how to throw sand in the enemy's faces, we may never see how he fights with a spear, and we may never throw an axe into somebody's head. Or spend ACB with just one hidden blade. Does that detriment somehow from the character? Not really.

Plus I feel personal connection is far more important. When I first played AC3, I played Connor without stealing from anybody (I really believe this is a mechanic that should've been cut out from the game as Connor never had done that), fighting only non-lethally with fists and not killing anybody with weapons unless it was a high-stake situation (like a big battle), and also ignored stupid optional objectives that go against what Connor would do, and it enhanced Connor's character for me. But it's not something anybody has to do, really, and somebody who played Connor differently connected with him differently as well. And, honestly, him wielding a tomahawk as per your example has nothing to do with my connection to him or why I like him, and is not an important part at all. Though my Connor never used a sword :D

roostersrule2
06-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Yeah, i know, but AC is not one of them.Yes it is. There are heaps of unrealistic features in AC, I'll exclude things such as the Apple and Animus as they're story related but:

-The flying machine
-The rest of Leo's inventions
-Hookblade
-Hidden Gun
-Hidden Blade
-Haystacks

And that's just off the top of my head, I wouldn't include the ability to climb and run without tiring but it's unrealistic.

LoyalACFan
06-12-2014, 12:07 PM
@Farlander
But even with all the liberty the Animus has been giving us, all of the actions of the previous assassins were moving around common denominators. Each one of them had signature weapons, kills, skills and approaches, which made up their identity and which we took into consideration when we faced the question "who is your favorite assassin".

Again, I totally love the idea of skill trees and crafting your own assassin. But then again, I believe the above will happen.

Arno is still going to have signature moves and weapons. The phantom blade, for instance, appears to be something you have regardless of how you upgrade your character, and he'll have a set roster of animations as well (so he'll even have some signature kill animations like his predecessors). I think that should be sufficient, really... After all, the iconic qualities of Ezio and Connor could be debated as well. Maybe my Ezio always fought with a short blade, but yours always fought with an axe. Maybe my Connor always fought with a war club or tomahawk (he did) but yours always fought with a sword.

AherasSTRG
06-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Oh well, you guys won me over :rolleyes:.

Dome500
06-12-2014, 11:29 PM

I think that is no problem.

It is like.... like with Edward.

Imagine a player went through the whole game only killing targets he had to, and everyone else he knocked out.
And then imagine a player who went through the game and left seas of blood.

The character stays the same no matter what the gameplay offers. The only thing the skills change is personalization.
We know Arno is probably good in Stealth, Combat and Acrobatics alike.
If he is now more skilled in the one rather than the other is IMO a thing you can not determine because you can not directly compare those abilities unless you have a skill tree in front of you.
Since the skill tree is an artificial gameplay element it is NOT part of the story.
Since it is not part of the story it will play no role in how you experience the cutscenes and the story, it only opens up the possibilities in terms of how you can IMAGINE your character to fulfill his goals.

It's like an outfit, it is just there to change your GAMEPLAY experience, not the story.

Each one of them had signature weapons, kills, skills and approaches, which made up their identity and which we took into consideration when we faced the question "who is your favorite assassin".

That's nonsense.

When you ask "who is your favorite Assassin?" the first thing people will think about is "how did he talk, how did he move, how did he act?". Those are questions which are only answered by the story, not by gameplay.

An example is Connor (no offense Connor fans). A lot of people didn't like him because in the story (for them) he seemed so bland and neutral and didn't show enough personality for them. Maybe he was to naive for some, while others loved his simple view on the world.

In the end however all these things are determined by dialogue and story, not by skill-trees and gameplay. You could play Connor absolutely non-lethal, or you could play him murdering everyone. The story didn't change.

The only thing that changes with Unity is the fact that you now can add additional skills to the abilities you deem the most useful for your personal gameplay experience. It is like choosing a weapon for Connor, Ezio or Edward. A lot of people didn't choose the best one, they chose the one they liked the most.

Same goes for gadgets. All gadgets Connor, Edward and Ezio used were his signature gadgets. Some were shared, others unique. But as Connor I could choose to replace the Tomahawk with another weapon, as Ezio I would refuse to use the hidden gun, as Edward I could ignore the blowpipe or the guns.

In the end, all that changes is YOUR personal experience.
And btw, we already saw his signature weapon. It's the Phantom Blade.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-13-2014, 12:56 AM
snip

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's like the outfit customization. It's just there for the player, not indicative of the story. Otherwise, it shouldn't even be a game but rather a movie so that way, the people he kills we KNOW he killed. With a game, you can kill countless guards or avoid them. TOTALLY BREKS TEH STORY GUISE.

BK-110
06-13-2014, 02:08 AM
I like the fact that outfits will be customizable, but I would prefer if they didn't change stats. It annoys me in games when I can't use an outfit I like because it has bad stats...