PDA

View Full Version : Could ACU be Assassin's Creed Redemption? (Long read)

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Red Dead Redemption is a spectacular game. you may have a differing opinion if you're not a fan of the time period but I'd say it's safe to say that it's one of the most seminal open world games especially in terms of the non-GTA style games. Obviously RDR draws numerous elements from GTA... lots of open world games do and, well, it IS Rockstar. But for the most part, the lack of a modern setting and the historical/past nature of the game gives it more in common with AC (barring things like parkour)

The content of RDR is immense. You have a really lengthy and hefty single player game, NUMEROUS side (stranger) missions, multiple challenges of different types, mini-games like poker and a whole HEAPING of random events throughout the city such as prostitutes being kidnapped or stabbed, store robberies, horse thefts, bounties, ambushes, people being hanged, bird shooting competitions, herb gathering competitions, and so on. It also included gang hideouts with enemies to fight (which would regenerate after awhile)!

In fact, those random activities that appear on your radar from time to time is one of the most important aspects IMO. It makes it so that even once you beat the story and all the side missions...you can always find something to do, things that will let you live out that cowboy/bandit fantasy whenever you load the game back up. The gang hideouts also allow you a never ending, revolving game loop that allows you to always have "missions" post-game. you can also replay main missions to of course.

Assassin's Creed Unity has the potential to be the RDR of AC. The parkour looks fantastic. While I'm more or less lukewarm to the parkour of AC3/AC4 (I feel it promoted fluidity a lot better than the previous games but at the cost of feeling like you had weight), this parkour looks FANTASTIC. While it looks like it will be that more fluid but less weighty type of climbing...the seer amount of upgrades such as the Parkour Down mechanics means it will probably be the most robust. The customization, if the talk is true, sounds pretty in depth. Varying levels of Eagle vision (or Pulse) and lockpicking are skills we can upgrade or unlock which will mean we can find alternate paths through missions by unlocking doors.

They're not lying when they say they've overhauled every facet of gameplay. The parkour has more options and depth, making it more robust than ever it seems. The stealth has gotten quite the remarkable upgrade by first expanding crowd size to a size that you can truly believe you could disappear into (a blade in the crowd...) but has also become more robust by including new options such as lockpicking to find alternate paths around enemies, a dedicated cover system allowing you to take enemies out and drag them out of sight as well as providing new ways to sneak by...and the stealth is rounded out by a dedicated crouch button/mechanic that fans have been begging for for a looooooooong time. That's exciting.

Combat has been altered as well but afaik, we don't have TOO much info on how much it's changed. Not to the obvious extent of the parkour or stealth at least. I believe counter-kills are no more though.

Anyway... that's great. It sounds like it's really embracing its roots of Altair and the assas-sim that AC1 attempted to be. But they also showed us a women being confronted by two guards (INSIDE a building) after screaming for help which seems to imply it was an optional random event. Later on we find a thief and see a notification to catch him. Again, a random event we can choose to get involved with or not. That's fantastic. There also seems to be random fights that can spark in the streets. We also see that there are murder mystery missions we can tackle as well.

So why do I bring this all up? Because I don't want Ubi to blow it. They're so close to greatness that Unity could easily take the top spot by a LARGE margin. If they have multiple random events of different natures: ambushes, thieves, guards harming civilians, street brawls, etc. that will increase the lifespan significantly. There needs to always be things to do in the open world after the game is done otherwise it's practically pointless to let us continue playing after we finish. I need to be able to finish the game and then be like "but I'm NOT finished with the game even if it says I have a 100% because there are regenerating enemy hideouts I can tackle, there will always be random events that pop up like thieves and things, etc. RDR mastered that. But AC has the chance to be the ultimate AC. It sounds like customization is big from skills to weapons which hopefully means aesthetic choices are available. So for those that wish (like me) to have a beaked hood and white/red robes, you can. for those seeking more subtle or realistic attire such as brown or dark coats and normal hoods, those should be available...

I bring this all up because from the demos we've seen... I see greatness. But we also know that AC demos have shown one thing and sometimes the final product doesn't reflect that. But these demos, more than any other E3 or pre-release demo for the AC series... makes me think it has the potential to be the best game of the franchise by a significant amount. I didn't think that after seeing any AC4 demo, after the AC3 demo, ACR, ACB... I was excited for them, sure. But never thought they'd be the best. I won't count AC1 because I had no idea what to truly expect and I won't count AC2 because after the first one, I had no idea how different it'd be.

Anyway.. I just hope ACU delivers. Right now, it looks like it could steal the top spot from AC2 (if not with characters, then with everything else). The city is brilliant. I'm tired of the 18th century but Paris... now THIS is an AC city. No more frontier towns, empty islands, oceans, or cool cities that are small and barely have any story content in them! This is where AC belongs -- in a dense, urban jungle. The parkour is the type of upgrade the series is long overdue for. The stealth is getting a much deserved makeover. The customization sounds like it could include alternate hood types and outfit types to let us alter Arno's aesthetics a LOT (I wouldn't be surprised if there are totally different outfit types like in AC4 as well). They seemed to show off quite a few potential never ending random events so hopefully they ARE infinite.

I'm not expecting it to take the top spot... I am expecting it to be worlds better than AC3 though at the very least. Thoughts? Do you think Unity will be the Red Dead Redemption of AC? Does it seem to have the potential to be if everything we saw in the demo pans out? Do you think the end result will be different than the demos we saw and thus fail to reach it's full potential?

roostersrule2
06-11-2014, 10:11 AM
RDR was an amazing game, my all time favourite. ACU definitely has the potential to be up there with it, but it must do the little things right. That's one of RDR's strengths, while all the main parts of the game are awesome, there was just so many little details that added so much immersion. If ACU can get the big and little things right then it may compete with RDR.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-11-2014, 10:25 AM
RDR was an amazing game, my all time favourite. ACU definitely has the potential to be up there with it, but it must do the little things right. That's one of RDR's strengths, while all the main parts of the game are awesome, there was just so many little details that added so much immersion. If ACU can get the big and little things right then it may compete with RDR.

Right?? RDR never fails to make me feel like I'm in a western. It did so many things right; story, gameplay, details, comedy, drama, etc. Easily one of the greatest games of all time IMO

ACU could easily contend. The amount of customization, the complete overhaul of mechanics that many have deemed stale, the graphics, the crowds... if it all pans out, would easily add up to the best AC to date and possibly contend with RDR.

shobhit7777777
06-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I believe so

Its perhaps the Assassin game I've been waiting for since AC1.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 10:30 AM

This, definitely. Even if Unity nails the core mechanics (which it looks like it has) it's going to have a hard time matching RDR in terms of immersion. It's funny how a game as sparsely populated as RDR can feel more alive than most games set in urban metropolises, but it sure as hell pulled it off.

I will say, though, that if everything in the real game plays out just as it does in the demos we saw, it'll be the greatest AC ever. It's really too late for them to botch any of the core mechanics that we've seen; the game comes out in four months. AC3's demo only led to disappointment because it completely misrepresented the character of Connor; all of the features it showcased really were there in the final game (except for random events which f**king BETTER be in Unity after we've been begging for them for four years).

roostersrule2
06-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Right?? RDR never fails to make me feel like I'm in a western. It did so many things right; story, gameplay, details, comedy, drama, etc. Easily one of the greatest games of all time IMO

ACU could easily contend. The amount of customization, the complete overhaul of mechanics that many have deemed stale, the graphics, the crowds... if it all pans out, would easily add up to the best AC to date and possibly contend with RDR.Few games are like RDR, in a sense that it does everything right, my one and only complaint is cow herding, but there's what 3 missions of it and the one with rain is pretty good.

AC's biggest problem in recent games has been mission design and stale mechanics. As you said they're both being overhauled, and in the French Revolution which is completely made for AC in a city such as Paris which is the epitome of an AC city it's bound to be great. The one aspect Ubi really have to nail is the story, this is a time in history though that's action packed enough to really delve into, unlike AC3 where the revolution became boring as ****.

With Unity though it's weird, I'm hyped but I'm not getting ahead of myself like I did with AC3, I'm hoping for a solid game that reignites the franchise, like AC1 and AC2 did and what AC3 could have done.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-11-2014, 11:08 AM
I believe so

Its perhaps the Assassin game I've been waiting for since AC1.

Yeah, it looks like it reevaluated why AC exists in the first place and is like, "Let's do more of that...but... like, better."

This, definitely. Even if Unity nails the core mechanics (which it looks like it has) it's going to have a hard time matching RDR in terms of immersion. It's funny how a game as sparsely populated as RDR can feel more alive than most games set in urban metropolises, but it sure as hell pulled it off.

I will say, though, that if everything in the real game plays out just as it does in the demos we saw, it'll be the greatest AC ever. It's really too late for them to botch any of the core mechanics that we've seen; the game comes out in four months. AC3's demo only led to disappointment because it completely misrepresented the character of Connor; all of the features it showcased really were there in the final game (except for random events which f**king BETTER be in Unity after we've been begging for them for four years).

RANDOM EVENTS. GAH! One of the biggest pitfalls of AC, IMO, is the lack of 'em. It get so boring just running around killing guards after awhile. LOTS of open world games have this issue. Sleeping Dogs barely has anything to do post-story and side missions/collectibles which is a shame because the gameplay is so good but there's very little to do in the world after. AC is the same way! Hopefully this games fixes that.

Few games are like RDR, in a sense that it does everything right, my one and only complaint is cow herding, but there's what 3 missions of it and the one with rain is pretty good.

AC's biggest problem in recent games has been mission design and stale mechanics. As you said they're both being overhauled, and in the French Revolution which is completely made for AC in a city such as Paris which is the epitome of an AC city it's bound to be great. The one aspect Ubi really have to nail is the story, this is a time in history though that's action packed enough to really delve into, unlike AC3 where the revolution became boring as ****.

With Unity though it's weird, I'm hyped but I'm not getting ahead of myself like I did with AC3, I'm hoping for a solid game that reignites the franchise, like AC1 and AC2 did and what AC3 could have done.

Well no game is PERFECT. haha RDR is pretty dang close though.

Yeah, I'm hyped up too but I refuse to let myself get TOO hyped and have it turn out that nope, no real random events to tackle or whatever.