PDA

View Full Version : AC Unity Q&A with Alex Amancio

Jexx21
06-10-2014, 06:44 PM
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/10/assassins-creed-unity-faq-answers-all-your-questions-about-story-co-op-next-gen-graphics-and-more/

Great answers from Alex.

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Unity confirmed to reference online mode. Not union between assassins and templars. Smh.

Jexx21
06-10-2014, 07:21 PM
But he also said that the title references the modern day. I'm guessing that means union of the Assassins and Templars in the modern day.

AherasSTRG
06-10-2014, 07:28 PM
But he also said that the title references the modern day. I'm guessing that means union of the Assassins and Templars in the modern day.

To fight Juno maybe? Although, I thought Juno would try to lead the Templars. Hell, they might even ask her themselves!

AssassinHMS
06-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Ac, a stealth game. Act like a true Assassin...There might still be hope for this franchise yet. Still, not buying anything until I see the final game.

lothario-da-be
06-10-2014, 07:32 PM
1/3 is coop? NOOOOOOOO
Don't take away from my SP AC experience, unless splitscreen is possible.

DinoSteve1
06-10-2014, 07:32 PM
I'd like to know more about the modern day part.

Wolfmeister1010
06-10-2014, 07:35 PM
1/3 is coop? NOOOOOOOO

1/3 of all the previous AC games since Brotherhood was MP lol.

And you can do all the co op missions by yourself.

Layytez
06-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Hmm Ac Initiates in Unity ?

Sushiglutton
06-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Very happy about the way they talk about the core mechanics both in this Q&A and on the blog: http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-unity-9-things-need-know/. It also seems like the missions are open (which is ofc a must for co-op to work). It's really hard at this point to determine exatly what the changes to the pillars really translates to when you play the game. But the marketing focusing on them at least show that they know there is a great discontent among gamers and that they have tried to do something to address it.

Two thumbs up from me :)!

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 09:17 PM
I want more information on the narrative.

SixKeys
06-10-2014, 09:19 PM
From the UbiBlog parkour section:

"And that’s just a small taste of how navigation has been overhauled. The way an Assassin will move through Paris will be radically different than in previous games – but we’ll have more on that later."

Does this imply driving vehicles of some kind? Fast-travel via horse carriages like in RDR, maybe?

Wolfmeister1010
06-10-2014, 09:21 PM
I assume horses will return. They have to. How could they not?

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 09:22 PM
I don't think carriages would work with those huge crowds in the way

Sushiglutton
06-10-2014, 09:24 PM
From the UbiBlog parkour section:

"And that’s just a small taste of how navigation has been overhauled. The way an Assassin will move through Paris will be radically different than in previous games – but we’ll have more on that later."

Does this imply driving vehicles of some kind? Fast-travel via horse carriages like in RDR, maybe?

If I understand correctly there is a skill tree for parkour. A skill tree seems to hint that there are several more elements to the system than in AC3-4 (fingers crossed)?

cawatrooper9
06-10-2014, 09:28 PM
It's very possible that "Unity" might refer to a union of Templars and Assassins in the modern day. After all, Sean and Rebecca are in Abstergo, as far as we know, and seem to have been somewhat involved in the Sage debacle.

SixKeys
06-10-2014, 09:31 PM
I don't think carriages would work with those huge crowds in the way

In the IGN making-of video there's a shot of someone animating Arno beside a horse-drawn carriage. They're definitely in the game. To what extent, though, remains to be seen.

andrew_m50
06-10-2014, 09:32 PM
There will be a modern section to the game as well, in some way starring "you."

Great!
That idiot "silent-floating camera" will return. (As well as the ugly "see-through-everything" Eagle Vision.)
We won't get a deep modern day story. That's a shame.

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Oh snap.

I must've missed that.

Jexx21
06-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Great!
That idiot "silent-floating camera" will return. (As well as the ugly "see-through-everything" Eagle Vision.)
We won't get a deep modern day story. That's a shame.

I actually thought that Black Flag's modern day story was great, it revealed a lot of stuff in the hacked info.

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 09:38 PM
I hope we get to be a floating iPad again. :rolleyes:

andrew_m50
06-10-2014, 09:43 PM
I actually thought that Black Flag's modern day story was great, it revealed a lot of stuff in the hacked info.

Hacking computers all the time isn't equal to a good story.
I also liked the hacking and the information we decoded, but the story was...nothing.

Pandassin
06-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Will there be free roam co-op? Or is it just restricted to missions?

pacmanate
06-10-2014, 10:08 PM
1/3 is coop? NOOOOOOOO

Co op can be played by yourself so there is no problem there. Its nice its an option and not a separate thing.

Also Arno becomes an Assassin because of something that happens to his father so he finds the assassins to seek redemption.

There we have it guys. Another redemption/revenge story. Original!

Gladiaattori1500
06-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Noice

dxsxhxcx
06-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Co op can be played by yourself so there is no problem there. Its nice its an option and not a separate thing.

Also Arno becomes an Assassin because of something that happens to his father so he finds the assassins to seek redemption.

Arno feels he's responsible for his stepfather death, that's why he joins the assassins, we don't know (yet) if he'll look for revenge or not.

ps: Did we already have a redemption story? :p

if there's something to complain about will be if Arno's stepfather end up being an Assassin and that's reason he joined them, I'm certainly tired of the Assassin/Templar Order being the family business...

I also hope they leave his biological father out of picture.. I don't want to see another father/son dilemma so soon..

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Arno feels he's responsible for his stepfather death, that's why he joins the assassins, we don't know (yet) if he'll look for revenge or not

Jesus Christ. How many dads are going to die in this franchise?

Soon we'll have more dead dads than actual assassins.

Megas_Doux
06-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Jesus Christ. How many dads are going to die in this franchise?

Soon we'll have more dead dads than actual assassins.

Indeed.....

Dads who died tragically:

Altairīs, off screen though.
Ezioīs dad.
Connorīs dad.
Haytham,īs dad.

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Don't forget Aveline's dad.

Wolfmeister1010
06-10-2014, 10:58 PM

Wrong. He feels guilty for his adopted father's death and joins the assassins so he can help people as a way to make up for it.

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Inb4 his non-adoptive father is a templar.

Wolfmeister1010
06-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Would you rather him just join the assassins just because? Maybe some people, but I want some emotion behind it. I want them to join the assassins because of grief. And ALL grief is caused by some form of loss.

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Yeah.

But there's other forms of loss than losing poor ol' daddy.

Shahkulu101
06-10-2014, 11:04 PM
I'd like an Assassin that just in the Brotherhood - no explanation or backstory. Enough of that, it takes up too much time.

Megas_Doux
06-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Don't forget Aveline's dad.

True, my bad!!

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Another dead [step]parent backstory? Hmm.. Maybe Ubi has a grudge against parents... lol

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Ubi is the equivilant of walt disney.

One of the writers must of lost his father and so he kills off all the fathers in all AC games ever.

Megas_Doux
06-10-2014, 11:21 PM
I cant see why and how anyone would join an order in which you risk your life in any mission, while taking MANY others in the process just because.....
And my question will be if those lovely platforming levels are set to make a retun, after all, we have a city that can afford those!!!!

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 11:23 PM
I never saw the assassins as a reasonable group. Assassins are essentially extremists. So are templars.

If they were real factions I'd stay the hell away from them. Probably call the police too.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 01:20 AM
I don't know, the guilt angle is something they've never really done before. Even if it is about a dead dad for the umpteenth time. I don't really mind as long as the first quarter of the game isn't exposition :nonchalance: Say what you want about AC2's glacial start, they at least got you into the Assassin robes by the end of the first sequence.

Legendz54
06-11-2014, 01:30 AM
Another dead [step]parent backstory? Hmm.. Maybe Ubi has a grudge against parents... lol

Arno is adopted... his adoptive father gets killed.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-11-2014, 01:39 AM
Arno is adopted... his adoptive father gets killed.

Ah, then that makes it break out of the cliche at least lol

Dome500
06-11-2014, 03:01 AM
Very happy about the way they talk about the core mechanics both in this Q&A and on the blog: http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-unity-9-things-need-know/. It also seems like the missions are open (which is ofc a must for co-op to work). It's really hard at this point to determine exatly what the changes to the pillars really translates to when you play the game. But the marketing focusing on them at least show that they know there is a great discontent among gamers and that they have tried to do something to address it.

Two thumbs up from me :)!

From me as well, they seem to have really listened to feedback. I mean, it makes sense. 3 years ago we had ACR. If they took all the feedback since that moment (and I know those "problems" they addressed now were not mentioned that often before Revelations) then it only makes sense that ACIII and ACIV were still along the lines of the old games because they were already way in production before the real criticism addressing those points got more and more.

I'm keeping my eye out on this, I think this time they might nail it.

@lothario => You can do the coop missions Solo. Those are Ubisoft Toronto, they learned a lot from Splinter Cell Blacklist Coop, my guess is that brings a lot of advantages. SCB also had Coop Missions playable solo. Also, mp was a big part of the previous games, so with that (probably) gone or at least not developed much further (since it is already almost perfect) they had more than enough time for both Coop and Singelplayer IMO.

"As for the Templar side, it is explored a lot in AC Unity. That's as much as we'll say for now"

Inteeeresting......

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 03:04 AM
Where is it actually said Arno is adopted?

Whenever a fictional character is adopted it usually means the original parents were super shady.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:05 AM
Where is it actually said Arno is adopted?

Whenever a fictional character is adopted it usually means the original parents were super shady.

Amancio said it in his Q&A, he's seeking redemption for the death of his adopted father, for which he feels responsible.

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Evil blood-related father confirmed.

Trope is too tempting for Ubi to resist.

Or the original father could just be dead.

DinoSteve1
06-11-2014, 03:19 AM
Evil blood-related father confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbeR6uYxU50

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Or the original father could just be dead.

Hopefully this is the case. Get the parental trope out of the way.

Dome500
06-11-2014, 03:37 AM
Btw. I absolutely LOVE what Amancio saying about the chases that this time around you "outsmart" instead of "outrun", which basically means (hopefully) that the enemies will not know where you are if you broke LoS as if they had your GPS tracked.

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 03:38 AM
Ubisoft will never drop parental tropes.

Never.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:43 AM
Ubisoft will never drop parental tropes.

Never.

Watch_Dogs. Granted, they replaced it with the even more cliche damsel in distress, but still.

souNdwAve89
06-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Given the details that I've read so far (correct me if I'm wrong), but what if Arno's real father was already an Assassin, but was killed by Templars. Arno's adopted father is a good friend of his, and he swore to never tell Arno about his father's true death. The adopted father dies, but moments before, he tells Arno about his father, and the feud between the Assassins and Templars. After the adopted father's death, Arno seeks out the Assassins hoping to learn more about his father while trying redeem himself.

The whole blaming myself for one's death kinda reminds me of the Spider-Man lore with Peter Parker blaming himself for Uncle Ben's death.

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 03:47 AM
I appreciate it was a niece and not a sister who died tho.

I would be much more hurt if my little niece was killed because of me.

Dome500
06-11-2014, 03:47 AM
@ Ubiblog Article Point 5 => What the hell? That is EXACTLY what we suggested some months ago, maybe some of you still remember that. That is awesome !!
@ Ubiblog Article Point 9 => That is really great. So it'll be like in Batman Arkham or Watch Dogs so you can choose skills. Amazing. People who know me know I'll be going for Stealth (100%).
That being said I hope we are NOT able to get all skill points at the end of the game but just 70 - 90% of them

Ureh
06-11-2014, 03:59 AM
Maybe Arno's biological father is a Templar but he is never around for his son. So Arno becomes close with his adoptive Assassin father who is impersonating a cook in the house. Then one day the Assassin-dad divulges his true purpose in this house. Arno is shocked, feels betrayed and think he has some loyalty (albeit misplaced) to his bio-dad. . In a fit of rage he kills his adoptive daddy. Suddenly he regrets his deed and realises that he must fulfill his adoptive dad's mission. So he runs away and offers to pay for his crimes by joining the Assassins.

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 04:03 AM
No more daddy drama.

Pls.

DinoSteve1
06-11-2014, 04:06 AM
Ubisoft should switch it up and give Arno a mother complex rather then a Father one.

Lonnie_Jackson
06-11-2014, 04:10 AM
My only hope is I can get a real character feel for Arno. I want to laugh and cry and feel like I have grown with the character since the beginning to thee end. Everything so far gives me an old feeling I haven't had since 2 so here is hoping the character story is real appealing!

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 04:11 AM
How about he joins the assassins because he actually agreed with their philosophies and did not suffer from a traumatic event?

No?

Too silly?

Ok.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 04:20 AM
How about he joins the assassins because he actually agreed with their philosophies and did not suffer from a traumatic event?

No?

Too silly?

Ok.

To be fair, Shaun did say most of them were born into it. But yeah, there really isn't a need to justify their conversion with some horrific event.

Lonnie_Jackson
06-11-2014, 04:22 AM
I can see this convo happening at the table and when someone brings that up they give him/her the death stare lol!

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 04:26 AM
To be fair, Shaun did say most of them were born into it. But yeah, there really isn't a need to justify their conversion with some horrific event.

Agreed.

I could also use some assassins that are less passionate about the creed.

Like an assassin sees another assassin kill someone and is like "yo this is a little messed up. I think imma resign"

do it Ubi.

misterB2001
06-11-2014, 07:16 AM

No?

Too silly?

Ok.

You mean like Edward (eventually) and Adewale?

kosmoscreed
06-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Polygon has a great lenghty chat with Amancio.

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2014/2014/6/10/5798592/assassins-creed-unity-female-assassins

DinoSteve1
06-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Well tbf both of those characters did go through some traumatic experiences before becoming Assassins.

RzaRecta357
06-11-2014, 08:13 AM
This really excited me. I knew they basically changed and revamped everything but they even got as far as changing the chase so it doesn't feel like you're just out running them. It's quite frankly insane and a real next gen version of what we know. I seriously excited. It's almost a system seller at this point.

roostersrule2
06-11-2014, 08:32 AM
I've always liked this guy, made some sketchy calls with ACR but they really weren't given the time to cut things halfway through production.

Considering he is the CD though it begs the question how long has the game been in development? ACR came out in 2011 and then he left Ubi for a bit. Unless he wasn't there from the beginning, but that could point to a disruptive dev cycle.

However I'm positive, from what we've seen so far this could be a very good AC game.

Jexx21
06-11-2014, 08:36 AM
directors sometime aren't hired until well into the games development