PDA

View Full Version : I really don't get the way AC games are named ...

killzab
06-10-2014, 01:53 PM
So Black Flag was a numbered entry but Unity isn't.

I know why they didn't give a number to BH and Rev. But Black Flag was very much a spin-off of ACIII.

I thought they said they would only give a new number to games with new characters....?

Seems they can't even follow their own rules....

And Unity seems much more ambitious and worthy of a number than Black Flag.

Farlander1991
06-10-2014, 01:59 PM
I thought they said they would only give a new number to games with new characters....?

Seems they can't even follow their own rules....

That rule was said when Brotherhood was released. Circumstances are very different now (and when the series was still more or less a trilogy).

Think of it this way. We're diehard fans here so remembering that ACV is about French Revolution, ACVII is about Feudal Japan and ACIX is about Reconquista won't be a problem to us at all, but from a general perspective, it's very confusing to talk about. "Wait, wha, ACIV? Which one was that again? Ooooooooh, Black Flag, the pirate one! Right!". With a big number of games, subtitle is a much bigger differentiator than the number, and when the number really stops mattering, why have it there anyway?

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Trust me, I'm sure there's tons of people that say the same thing and are confused as hell, including me, but they have yet to explain themselves. Hopefully they'll do that soon?

Shahkulu101
06-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Yes the lack of number is going to seriously impact my enjoyment of the game.

NAT.

ze_topazio
06-10-2014, 02:09 PM
I take numbers over subtitles any day.

dxsxhxcx
06-10-2014, 02:15 PM
with all things wrong that the Devs still need to fix in AC, the way they decide to name their tittles is the least of my concerns.

ON TOPIC:

I take numbers over subtitles any day.

Me too, numbers are stronger specially when each numbered tittle used to bring a new protagonist, but they kinda ****ed up with that when they released AC4: Black Flag

DumbGamerTag94
06-10-2014, 03:00 PM
The numbers are for eras/themes not protagonist.
AC:Crusades
AC2,B,R: Renaissance
AC3: American Revolution(late 1700s)
AC4: Golden age if Piracy(early 1700s)

See Unity fits int the same category as AC3 Revolutions and Late 1700s. And the Unity represents the co-op deal.

m4r-k7
06-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Seeing as Unity looks like it is re-inventing all the core pillars, this should have been AC 3 I think. AC 3 and AC 4 BF should not have been numbered, especially AC 4. It seems this game should have its own numbers as its improving the core pillars whilst the other games were just adding to them.

ze_topazio
06-10-2014, 03:05 PM
I think they are dropping the numbers to better disguise the exaggerated number of sequels from now on.

poptartz20
06-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I'm curious about that as well... I mean it made sense in the beginning. like most things do. but now I have no clue?

Hahah maybe we just don't know this yet but it's still apart of the Kenway Saga. BOOYAH!

that or maybe they are looking at it from a time frame point of view? but Honestly I thought every game that introduced a new assassin got a #'d title.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-10-2014, 04:19 PM
And once again, Darby answers this question with a troll answer:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2nh28wg.png

RatonhnhakeFan
06-10-2014, 05:08 PM
They're named whatever the marketing team feels like at a moment. There's no formula or any set of rules, they don't care about it, they only think "what name will sell most".

RinoTheBouncer
06-10-2014, 05:19 PM
I believe the past gen game, whether it’s Comet or whatever they’re gonna call it, along with Unity will together create the ACV package. They wanna market both versions and gain double sales from both generations of gaming. So I’m sure they’ll tie them in, together.

pacmanate
06-10-2014, 08:15 PM
If anything, this game should be numbered as it seems to be a complete reboot of the franchise from every point imaginable.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-10-2014, 08:18 PM
If anything, this game should be numbered as it seems to be a complete reboot of the franchise from every point imaginable.They should've just dropped the numbers after 3. Black Flag realllllllly didn't need it, and the entire "new protagonist" excuse is just a joke with ACU coming out

pacmanate
06-10-2014, 08:24 PM
They should've just dropped the numbers after 3. Black Flag realllllllly didn't need it, and the entire "new protagonist" excuse is just a joke with ACU coming out

I think its because if they did do everything numbered we would all see how many bloody games there really are.

AC1
AC2
AC3 (Brotherhood)
AC4 (Revelations)
AC5 (AC3)
AC6 (Black Flag)
AC7 (Unity)

What im trying to get at, is the numbering will start to look stupid.

RinoTheBouncer
06-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Perhaps AC Unity + AC Comet will both be titled ACV, in one bundle...

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-10-2014, 09:04 PM

I'm starting to think that this theory is more than possible at this point...

Sushiglutton
06-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Wouldn't care if it was called Assassin's Pizza: Skewered Olive XIV.

The name is by far the least interesting aspect of the game.

pacmanate
06-10-2014, 09:44 PM

If it was in a bundle I would hope Comet was cross gen. I don't think they would bundle a PS4 game with a PS3 one. Same goes for Xbox.