PDA

View Full Version : Assassination Contracts in Unity

MasterAssasin84
06-08-2014, 09:46 PM
I did briefly mention this in a thread but somewhat figured it deserved a true debate or conversation.

We all loved the Assassination Contracts in the previous games ( All except AC3 )

I am really hoping they make some form of return but it did get me thinking rather than using the same old formulae side mission which earns you nothing more than currency how about integrating them into the story line ?

Keeping them as optional objectives but completing them has some influence on the outcome of the story ?

What do you all think ?

m4r-k7
06-08-2014, 09:49 PM
I loved them. Would be cool if they just kept on randomly regenerating so we constantly have stuff to do post-game. But yeah it would be cool if they had an impact on the story.

king-hailz
06-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Interesting concept... however I do not like the idea of changing the story from things we do.

rprkjj
06-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Interesting concept... however I do not like the idea of changing the story from things we do.

Agreed.

Also a dynamic assassination contract system would be the greatest.

LoyalACFan
06-09-2014, 12:45 AM
I think it would be cool if the new contracts regenerated like Red Dead's gang hideouts or AC4's plantations. It would have to be tweaked, of course, but I'm thinking like 20-30 locations in the game (most of them centered on landmarks) that periodically get taken over by Templars/Jacobins/whoever we're fighting, and we'd have to infiltrate the place and kill their leader. Of course the leader's location would have to be randomly generated to keep things from getting predictable, or at least scripted to spawn at three or four set locations.

adventurewomen
06-09-2014, 12:52 AM
Still to this day AC3 still get's flak for Assassination Contracts, they weren't that long and they were fine.

Shahkulu101
06-09-2014, 12:57 AM
Still to this day AC3 still get's flak for Assassination Contracts, they weren't that long and they were fine.

AW, they weren't fine. All you had to do was walk up and press X. There was no guards to get past or area to infiltrate, they were as simple, boring and pointless as the damn courier messages. The appeal of Assassination contracts is that they were like mini Assassination missions you got in the main story - where you have to use an approach be it combat or stealth to find your target and eliminate them. AC3's were basically fetch quests and had no soul or enjoyment to them. They might have been easier to sweep up as side missions for the completionists but it was low-grade content and that's an undeniable fact I'm afraid.

prince162010
06-09-2014, 01:03 AM
I love them, also i love homestead missions from AC III and i hope that they made something like them in AC Unity

STDlyMcStudpants
06-09-2014, 01:08 AM
I personally hate assassin contracts..
Could live without them lol
But im just one guy ;D
I hope ac3 style side missions come back..
It was like AC3 had 2 campaigns :)
I loved it

pacmanate
06-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Problem with assassination contracts affecting the story is we are playing history, it cant be changed. It wouldnt be possible as we are reliving memories.

Megas_Doux
06-09-2014, 01:10 AM
AC III´s contracts were awful, no context, no guards, just kill that random dude just because........

STDlyMcStudpants
06-09-2014, 01:10 AM
Problem with assassination contracts affecting the story is we are playing history, it cant be changed. It wouldnt be possible as we are reliving memories.

exactly.. this isn't back to the future...
We arent time travelers :D

MasterAssasin84
06-09-2014, 11:44 AM

It was merely a new concept I had in mind ?

Think back to Liberation HD when Abstergo altered Avelines final outcome ? Could apply the same principle to the Assassination contracts using the Animus trickery and technology ?

Markaccus
06-09-2014, 02:46 PM
I loved them. Would be cool if they just kept on randomly regenerating so we constantly have stuff to do post-game. But yeah it would be cool if they had an impact on the story.

I like the idea of randomly generating contracts. It could pick a location, drop in a target, and a random number of guards defending them.

As far as story impact goes, i think it might be difficult to implement something like that.

DumbGamerTag94
06-09-2014, 04:02 PM
I like the idea of randomly generating contracts. It could pick a location, drop in a target, and a random number of guards defending them.

As far as story impact goes, i think it might be difficult to implement something like that.

Not really it wouldn't. They would just have to make them like the Homestead missions(AC3) or Templar Hunts(AC4). Where it was a bunch of optional missions that were related to the story. But ultimately didn't matter to the main plot if you don't do them. I would like that personally. Kind of how ACB and ACR had the Templar characters that were unique. Like the hangman guy, the doctor that killed courtisans, the sniper, the military dude on horseback(and not just a random guard they put a target dot over). I liked how they had those it felt like you were hunting someone important. Then AC4 made it better IMO by making the Templar hunts like mini story missions so it was more entertaining that way and made killing them more rewarding. I much prefer homestead missions and Templar hunts to Assassination contracts.

I honestly think they should do away with contracts and make a bunch more Templar hunt/Homestead style missions. They are far more engaging and the targets are actual unique characters. And having more than 4 or 5 of those would leave for a lot of extra play time. And it would all still be relevant to the story(have then unlock over time like homestead missions).

As for the regenerating side mission idea. I kind of like it. Occupying landmarks sounds kind of cool. It would almost be like the smugglers dens and forts in AC4 or forts of AC3. Only they would regenerate. Sounds cool to me. A lot like the gang hideouts of RDR. I would like it to remain seperate from a fort or Borgia Tower style thing tho. Because I like to feel like I've permanantly liberated those areas after taking them. But if they were a seperate random event. Where templars(whatever faction is their facade in unity) occupy a random house on a street(like the banks with codex pages in AC2. Or a building like the Louvre or Bastille and you occasionally have to clear them out. I would be ok with that but I would much prefer just adding a bunch more Templar hunts/homestead missions. And a few other story related side activities like the Romulous lairs or Tombs.

So my perfect AC side activities list for unity?:

Templar Hunts(like 12 of em)+ Homestead missions(or something like it meeting civilian characters(several of these)+ Liberation missions like AC3(I liked meeting each of the apprentices and how you remove evil aspects from the region like martial law)+ Forts or Borgia tower type thing+ Tombs/Lairs(I wish they would have done that with AC3s Masonic tunnels missed opportunity :/)+ Some kind of shipwreck/cove substitute for Unity(like steal a lot of money form a fort/mansion/castle/or fancy museum) + possibly something like the hunting society or frontiersmen missions(not the best but just kind of fun IMO).
That would be perfect for me

Markaccus
06-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Not really it wouldn't. They would just have to make them like the Homestead missions(AC3) or Templar Hunts(AC4). Where it was a bunch of optional missions that were related to the story. But ultimately didn't matter to the main plot if you don't do them. I would like that personally. Kind of how ACB and ACR had the Templar characters that were unique. Like the hangman guy, the doctor that killed courtisans, the sniper, the military dude on horseback(and not just a random guard they put a target dot over). I liked how they had those it felt like you were hunting someone important. Then AC4 made it better IMO by making the Templar hunts like mini story missions so it was more entertaining that way and made killing them more rewarding. I much prefer homestead missions and Templar hunts to Assassination contracts.

I honestly think they should do away with contracts and make a bunch more Templar hunt/Homestead style missions. They are far more engaging and the targets are actual unique characters. And having more than 4 or 5 of those would leave for a lot of extra play time. And it would all still be relevant to the story(have then unlock over time like homestead missions).

As for the regenerating side mission idea. I kind of like it. Occupying landmarks sounds kind of cool. It would almost be like the smugglers dens and forts in AC4 or forts of AC3. Only they would regenerate. Sounds cool to me. A lot like the gang hideouts of RDR. I would like it to remain seperate from a fort or Borgia Tower style thing tho. Because I like to feel like I've permanantly liberated those areas after taking them. But if they were a seperate random event. Where templars(whatever faction is their facade in unity) occupy a random house on a street(like the banks with codex pages in AC2. Or a building like the Louvre or Bastille and you occasionally have to clear them out. I would be ok with that but I would much prefer just adding a bunch more Templar hunts/homestead missions. And a few other story related side activities like the Romulous lairs or Tombs.

So my perfect AC side activities list for unity?:

Templar Hunts(like 12 of em)+ Homestead missions(or something like it meeting civilian characters(several of these)+ Liberation missions like AC3(I liked meeting each of the apprentices and how you remove evil aspects from the region like martial law)+ Forts or Borgia tower type thing+ Tombs/Lairs(I wish they would have done that with AC3s Masonic tunnels missed opportunity :/)+ Some kind of shipwreck/cove substitute for Unity(like steal a lot of money form a fort/mansion/castle/or fancy museum) + possibly something like the hunting society or frontiersmen missions(not the best but just kind of fun IMO).
That would be perfect for me

Lots of things in here i agree with. Linking side quests with main story is easy i agree, but for it to have a direct effect on how the story pans out (aside from home improvement) might be difficult because of the fact we are re living memories rather than controlling history.

m4r-k7
06-09-2014, 04:38 PM
I would really just like randomly generated stuff to do, like on the Freedom Cry DLC there is always slaves to liberate and so you always have something else to do once you have completed the game. In terms of side stuff to do I thought AC 4 nailed it in that area. So many things to do. I am interested in what they will do to increase that in Unity.

dxsxhxcx
06-09-2014, 04:58 PM
It was merely a new concept I had in mind ?

Think back to Liberation HD when Abstergo altered Avelines final outcome ? Could apply the same principle to the Assassination contracts using the Animus trickery and technology ?

it could work but IMO this is a concept that would work for one, two games, my fear is that once implemented into the main games Ubisoft would make it permanent (or last for a lot of games), and the twists this scenario could bring would become too predictable.

I don't know if I'm making this up or I read it somewhere but if I'm not wrong, Abstergo once collected a lot of blood from donors to try to find as many POEs as they could (but using another excuse to don't reveal their real intentions to the public), based on this concept, what if "some" assassination contracts were executed by other Assassins of the Brotherhood (maybe the secondary characters, assuming they're assassins as well), the system could work like this:

assuming the modern day protagonist somehow has access to Abstergo DNA database (via hacking or working for Abstergo), the player, in control of the protagonist, trigger the assassination contract, while the contract is loading a notification saying: "searching for correct DNA match" or something along those lines appear in the screen meaning the Animus is searching through Abstergo database for the DNA of the Assassin that executed that mission, once found the mission begins with us controlling this other Assassin instead of the protagonist.

this could be used to help the character development of the secondary characters and also to make the sense that you're part of a Brotherhood and isn't acting alone doing all the job stronger (a feeling that I miss in the game)

DumbGamerTag94
06-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Lots of things in here i agree with. Linking side quests with main story is easy i agree, but for it to have a direct effect on how the story pans out (aside from home improvement) might be difficult because of the fact we are re living memories rather than controlling history.

Yeah I don't want it to have an impact on the story I just want it to tie in with the story and not have an effect if you do or don't do it. But get rewards like assassin recruits, money, liberate areas, maybe an outfit or weapon/armor, improve homestead/villa/hideout, earn discounts, etc. but I want it all to be little self sufficient stories that tie in with the overall story, while not effecting it. Like the homestead missions would reference things going on during the revolution but didn't touch the main story. Or how ACB had the story with the Borgia paying the followers of Romulus to harass people into the arms of the church. Or AC4 had the Templar hunts which spun off from the main story because Edward sold the Templars the map with the assassin bureau locations...which led to the mini stories at each location.

I want side missions to be kind of like that. Have some kind of a story to them. Not only does it make it more engaging to do them, but you actually want to do them instead of collect flags for no reason, gather feathers cuz ur brother died, or kill this guard I sent you a contract for just cuz. Smaller stories that are separate from the main, but either stem from or tie into the main story.....like all of the best side activities we have had.

I feel if it was that way everyone would be happy. Especially with the list of best side activities I created earlier