PDA

View Full Version : 'No Contact Response" in advanced physics properties

damassacre
06-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Is there a known bug with this option? Setting an object to "no contact response" and linking it to a hit trigger (hitting object = bike/rider) doesn't seem to work. No impulses are sent if the bike/rider goes through the object.

Ozy Be
06-07-2014, 05:08 PM
No mate, haven't had any issues with this setting,
I use it a fair bit when using a physic joint to push something through a physical object and it works fine (on 360 at least)

damassacre
06-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Certainly for me no impulses are sent when the collision occurs. Perhaps it's a PC bug. A google search led me to this old forum page with a fusion wishlist, and apparently it was a problem in evolution as well http://www.redlynx.com/oldforum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14010&sid=c80dc6714f5e9bdadc785e10af4a0f7e basically there's no difference between 'decoration only' and 'no contact response'

Ozy Be
06-07-2014, 08:54 PM
yea, sorry man, maybe I'm just not getting the correct wording of your op,
Using the object to trigger back to a hit trigger isn't something I'd do at all,
If you use an Area Trigger in the position of the object 'No Contact Response' works fine,

There is no difference between 'Deco only and No Contact' except the 'No Contact Response' will accept impulses from a trigger,
Not sure about sending impulses...sorry

damassacre
06-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Yeah i'm currently using an area trigger at the object position to send an impulse (basically I want the object to disappear once the rider touches it, but without losing any speed). It works but the object and area trigger have to be perfectly lined up for it to work optimally. It just seems from the "no contact response" in-editor description that it's supposed to send a hit impulse. That's why it seems more like a bug.

Anyway, thanks for the help ozy.

JolanXBL
06-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Well a Hit Trigger won't work unless you can physically hit the object :P

damassacre
06-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Well a Hit Trigger won't work unless you can physically hit the object :P

That would explain why it doesn't work. This however confuses me more on the purpose of this option. To quote the in-editor description, "No Contact response: no collision, but will send impulses when hit". My question is, where exactly will these impulses be sent? I assumed this would be a hit trigger, which would then transfer the impulse to an event.

SparkierJoNESZ
06-10-2014, 10:11 PM
objects don't send impulses only triggers do

by default all objects are allowed to be used as a trigger condition in hit triggers(for example if object a hits object b) or area triggers
you have 3 other special physic types determing if an object has a physical body, 2 depending on visibility and and the last one decoration only where the only use for the object is to just look nice on the screen

damassacre
06-10-2014, 11:01 PM
objects don't send impulses only triggers do

by default all objects are allowed to be used as a trigger condition in hit triggers(for example if object a hits object b) or area triggers
you have 3 other special physic types determing if an object has a physical body, 2 depending on visibility and and the last one decoration only where the only use for the object is to just look nice on the screen

Thanks for the answer sparkierjonesz. Yes I totally understand that only triggers send impulses. Perhaps I should choose my words more carefully this time. Here's a quick simple illustration of the problem/question.(screenshot below) The hit trigger is set to check for the rider/bike hitting the sign, in which case it should send an impulse to the visibility event which should hide the sign. Here's what happens when I test it with all four different physics types:
1. Default: Works as expected, Bike hits the sign, stops because of the collision and then the sign disappears.
2. Contact Response: Works as expected, Bike hits the sign, stops because of the collision and then the sign disappears
3. No Contact response: Herein lies the problem/question. Bike goes through the sign, as expected, BUT the sign doesn't disappear because the hit trigger did not send an impulse to the event. JolanXBL above noted that hit triggers wouldn't send impulses unless the object is physically hit. This seems to be the case, but conflicts with the in-editor description given for the option; "No collision, but will send impulses when hit" (see screenshot)
4. Decoration only: Works as expected: Bike goes through the sign, no impulses from the hit trigger, the sign remains visible

http://imgur.com/iAPkVkd.jpg

http://imgur.com/ZBhaZ4T.jpg

dasraizer
06-10-2014, 11:45 PM
yeah i think the no contact response was moved out to be the area trigger and they simply left the option in, i would like this option and have had to resort to other workarounds to achieve this.

to be able to have a drive through invisible objects send 'Im Hit' messages for hit triggers.... one can dream...

damassacre
06-11-2014, 01:41 AM
That explains it all, thanks! Bad decision by the devs on that though, because as you said, they've forced us to resort to workarounds to achieve this. It's also extremely misleading to leave that option sitting there when its functions are not enabled anymore.

SparkierJoNESZ
06-11-2014, 08:15 AM
have you tried enabeling physics for the sign but disabeling world gravity?
or keeping it in place with a physics joint?

damassacre
06-11-2014, 11:00 AM
have you tried enabeling physics for the sign but disabeling world gravity?
or keeping it in place with a physics joint?

Yes I tried that. Even with physics on, the hit trigger still doesn't work. I'm guessing it's because the hit trigger will only work if the object is physically hit (producing a collision), regardless of whether the object has physics on or not.