PDA

View Full Version : A New Sixth Sense

RinoTheBouncer
06-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Hey everyone,
Weíve all seen the Eagle Vision in the past AC games, which is the ability to sense who the potential target is and sometimes to predict what happens or extrapolate from existing evidence, footprints and marks (as shown in AC:R). So how about getting a new sixth sense?

What could it be? do you think itíll happen and if so, what you think it could be or want it to be? do you think the eagle sense is either active or inactive or does it come in different strengths and different features from one person to another?

Discuss...

Aphex_Tim
06-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Perhaps something like Shaun, who was talking about his ability to make certain connections. Gameplay wise it could be used to predict certain events (i.e. "if I do this and this here, that and that will happen over there."), and to plan your strategies accordingly.

Shahkulu101
06-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Lazer vision

pacmanate
06-06-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm happy how it is.

Eagle Sense was a downgrade though. Instead of identifying targets straight away you now had to scan them? What kind of "upgrade" was that.

Anyway, what it needs is a purpose! They seem to be shoving Eagle vision in for no reason other than its an AC thing.

AC1 = Eagle vision was useful for identifying targets
AC2 = Also useful for identifying targets
AC:B = Not really used at all
AC:R = Downgraded for some reason
AC3 = Don't think you ever had to even use it once
AC4 = Gave you an eagle vision tutorial about half way through the game, then you never really had to use it again.

Aphex_Tim
06-06-2014, 12:15 PM
It was pretty useful in AC4 though for tagging enemies.

Kirokill
06-06-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm happy how it is.

Eagle Sense was a downgrade though. Instead of identifying targets straight away you now had to scan them? What kind of "upgrade" was that.

Anyway, what it needs is a purpose! They seem to be shoving Eagle vision in for no reason other than its an AC thing.

AC1 = Eagle vision was useful for identifying targets
AC2 = Also useful for identifying targets
AC:B = Not really used at all
AC:R = Downgraded for some reason
AC3 = Don't think you ever had to even use it once
AC4 = Gave you an eagle vision tutorial about half way through the game, then you never really had to use it again.

But the guards patrolling view was very useful, not for you maybe. But it was good.
In AC4 the trails were left whenever you're in eagle vision but if you reuse it or turn it off they'll disappear, I also didn't like the need to be in low profile to activate it. But I guess the vision/sense tires you.

pacmanate
06-06-2014, 12:21 PM
It was pretty useful in AC4 though for tagging enemies.

I never really used it. Seems more like a gimmick now compared to AC1 and AC2

Markaccus
06-06-2014, 12:30 PM
An addition to eagle vision, where, in the mini map, you can see guards fields of vision, and therefore make it easy to stealthily infiltrate more heavily guarded areas. Always annoys me when i get almost all the way in to an area without being spotted, but then miss time that last dart for cover, because you cant predict the timing of all the guards line of sight. I'd think that this is an ability assassins would have anyway.

Kirokill
06-06-2014, 12:32 PM
An addition to eagle vision, where, in the mini map, you can see guards fields of vision, and therefore make it easy to stealthily infiltrate more heavily guarded areas. Always annoys me when i get almost all the way in to an area without being spotted, but then miss time that last dart for cover, because you cant predict the timing of all the guards line of sight. I'd think that this is an ability assassins would have anyway.

That'll be too easy, the route marks on the ground would be a bit better in my opinion.
And it's more of an AI fault too. You're the only one capable of being detected, I killed a guy the other day, and went a bit away and stood. The guards just stood there looking at the dead body, then they turned and... Combat started.

pacmanate
06-06-2014, 12:36 PM
But the guards patrolling view was very useful, not for you maybe. But it was good.
In AC4 the trails were left whenever you're in eagle vision but if you reuse it or turn it off they'll disappear, I also didn't like the need to be in low profile to activate it. But I guess the vision/sense tires you.

Well ACR's patrol view was pointless to me as it wasnt exactly hard to figure out a guards route? You can just watch for a few seconds to see where they went as most routes were small. Plus its more "detective" work instead of "press button for eagle vision and see route so you dont have to do anything".

I dont like that you cant use Eagle vision on the move anymore. And also how you have to be standing still to activate it. Stupid design.

Markaccus
06-06-2014, 12:41 PM
That'll be too easy, the route marks on the ground would be a bit better in my opinion.
And it's more of an AI fault too. You're the only one capable of being detected, I killed a guy the other day, and went a bit away and stood. The guards just stood there looking at the dead body, then they turned and... Combat started.

It wouldn't have to be made easy though..... you would still have to look at the mini map while in E.V. then plan your route and timing accordingly. You would also have to co-ordinate this with the guards you can see on screen , but are too distant to be on the mini map. This would mean finding different hiding spots, looking around for distant guards and where you would potentially have to hide next, and then getting there by timing your movement through the nearby guards' line of sight. It would allow the games to have more realistically heavily guarded areas, where most rooftops and corners, instead of just a few, are guarded.

Farlander1991
06-06-2014, 12:51 PM
And also how you have to be standing still to activate it. Stupid design.

Just the way it was in AC1 :p Actually, it's better than AC1, you couldn't move at all in AC1 with Eagle Vision :p

I used Eagle Vision plenty of times in AC4. Assassination Contracts (for identifying targets), tailing missions (to tag them and keep in sight), the mayan thingie... I used it more than in other AC games for sure. Probably even counting hudless AC1 (but that may be related to the fact that I played AC1 hudless only after playing it with hud and I knew most of the things there already... AC1 was, after all, initially designed to be played without a hud where EAgle Vision would prove to be very useful). When it comes to core gameplay, Most of my uses of Eagle Vision in AC2 where to try to find those damn feathers, which, honestly, wasn't enjoyable at all. AC3 eagle vision was useless, everything you needed to use Eagle Vision for would be selected just when you get close enough anyway.

dxsxhxcx
06-06-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm happy how it is.

that's the only good thing they did with Eagle Sense in ACR, IMO it makes much more sense to have the necessity to "scan" people to find out who they really are/what they intentions are than simple press a button to magically reveal the absolute truth (imagine a situation where we enter a building crowded with people and we can't find our target, we turn eagle vision on and we are able to see part of his leg glowing in gold far away from our position, identify the target that way looks a "little" overpowered to me).

I also didn't like to see "ghosts" from the past walking around like we did in ACR, it seemed too much, too convenient (and IMO kinda pointless) for an already overpowered character, this ghost thing could have been used (maybe not in ACR but other games) together with the Bleeding Effect (like you see the ghost and it triggers events similar to the one we had in AC2 with Desmond and Altair, a situation much more enjoyable than use them as an unnecessary guide through the city) and bring some new gameplay opportunities to the table (and also help with the narrative), but Ubisoft was "kind" enough to get rid of it instead of take advantage of it, probably to fit their new "production reality", good to see that this isn't affecting the game's quality, right?! :) /sarcasm

one thing they need to fix is the tagging system, make it manual or remove it, I avoided to use EV in AC4 as much as I could because I didn't want to tag my enemies, one reason was because it made things ugly as hell (making the characters "float"), another reason is because it makes things too easy (removing probably the ONLY challenge the tailing missions had), Ubisoft's approach to the casual audience is getting really ridiculous, most AC games are rated to a mature audience but some decisions like this makes me believe that Ubisoft thinks we are some 6 year old children created by monkeys who recently were introduced in the civilization (us, not the monkeys, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft thinks otherwise... :p).

DinoSteve1
06-06-2014, 02:36 PM
I'd like to see Eagle sense used as a muscle, the more it is used the stronger it becomes, and I think it would be cool if a person uses it frequently it changes their eye colour from whatever to gold, but a slow progression obviously. So taking Ezio as an example he has whatever colour eyes at the start of AC2 and by the end of ACR his eyes are gold.

dxsxhxcx
06-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I'd like to see Eagle sense used as a muscle, the more it is used the stronger it becomes, and I think it would be cool if a person uses it frequently it changes their eye colour from whatever to gold, but a slow progression obviously. So taking Ezio as an example he has whatever colour eyes at the start of AC2 and by the end of ACR his eyes are gold.

I don't think the eye idea is that good because we barely see the character's eyes when we are using EV, IMO too much "trouble" for "nothing", but the muscle idea isn't bad, maybe as we advance in the story (and maybe with help of specific side missions where, narrative-wise, we'll put the EV's potential to test) we could unlock different "abilities" like seeing the guards trail, tag enemies, etc.. (the only problem would be how to activate/deactivate which ability we want to use at the time because I don't want to be forced to tag enemies every time I turn EV on).

ps: I don't remember how it was activated now, but from what I can remember Batman in one of the Arkham games had different types of "vision", maybe in AC it could work the same way.

AherasSTRG
06-06-2014, 03:05 PM
For me, the tagging mechanic was the best mechanic to ever been introduced in the series after Assassin's Creed II's dual hidden blades. I just feel just like an assassin while scanning the enemies ahead and planning my moves based on their patrol patterns.

pacmanate
06-06-2014, 05:38 PM

Problem with that theory is that how we see Eagle vision in the animus, the colour coding, is all rendered by the animus to make the user aware.

Ezio/Altair etc didn't actually have their targets glow.

Hans684
06-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Problem with that theory is that how we see Eagle vision in the animus, the colour coding, is all rendered by the animus to make the user aware.

How we see them is how they see them, they don't actually start to glow like Christmas tree.

pacmanate
06-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Just the way it was in AC1 :p Actually, it's better than AC1, you couldn't move at all in AC1 with Eagle Vision :p

AC1 eagle vision was also dumb!

DinoSteve1
06-06-2014, 06:36 PM

They why does Desmond's targets glow?

Hans684
06-06-2014, 06:40 PM

Becouse when the user(AltaÔr, Ezio etc...) actives they see them glowing in a color and the Animus also shows that when playing them. The same with Desmond when he activates EV, the user sees them in that way. The person they look at don't literally glow, it's just how they are seening them.

pacmanate
06-06-2014, 06:47 PM

Because its a game, basically. The whole colour coding/animus thing was to explain it. Desmond doesnt really need an explanation as he is still a character in the game. Instead of treating the Animus as an Animus, treat the whole game as an Animus and maybe it makes more sense.

JustPlainQuirky
06-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I beat AC:3 without even knowing eagle vision existed. I thought it was a glitch the first time I accidentally activated it

pacmanate
06-06-2014, 08:12 PM
I beat AC:3 without even knowing eagle vision existed. I thought it was a glitch the first time I accidentally activated it

Well, you are young...

I-Like-Pie45
06-06-2014, 08:19 PM
I remember that you had to use EV once in AC3, during Chasing Lee

AssassinHMS
06-06-2014, 08:27 PM
that's the only good thing they did with Eagle Sense in ACR, IMO it makes much more sense to have the necessity to "scan" people to find out who they really are/what they intentions are than simple press a button to magically reveal the absolute truth (imagine a situation where we enter a building crowded with people and we can't find our target, we turn eagle vision on and we are able to see part of his leg glowing in gold far away from our position, identify the target that way looks a "little" overpowered to me).

I also didn't like to see "ghosts" from the past walking around like we did in ACR, it seemed too much, too convenient (and IMO kinda pointless) for an already overpowered character, this ghost thing could have been used (maybe not in ACR but other games) together with the Bleeding Effect (like you see the ghost and it triggers events similar to the one we had in AC2 with Desmond and Altair, a situation much more enjoyable than use them as an unnecessary guide through the city) and bring some new gameplay opportunities to the table (and also help with the narrative), but Ubisoft was "kind" enough to get rid of it instead of take advantage of it, probably to fit their new "production reality", good to see that this isn't affecting the game's quality, right?! :) /sarcasm

one thing they need to fix is the tagging system, make it manual or remove it, I avoided to use EV in AC4 as much as I could because I didn't want to tag my enemies, one reason was because it made things ugly as hell (making the characters "float"), another reason is because it makes things too easy (removing probably the ONLY challenge the tailing missions had), Ubisoft's approach to the casual audience is getting really ridiculous, most AC games are rated to a mature audience but some decisions like this makes me believe that Ubisoft thinks we are some 6 year old children created by monkeys who recently were introduced in the civilization (us, not the monkeys, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft thinks otherwise... :p).

I usually agree with your posts and this is no exception. Ubisoft should really start giving our brains some credit.

SixKeys
06-06-2014, 11:19 PM
I liked the Mad Doctor's Castle in AC3 where you had to use EV to scan the environment for clues. When you did enough investigating, Connor had a quick vision of what had likely happened earlier. That was something new to the series. Reminds me a bit of Batman: Arkham City where you track Deadshot by trying to deduce the trajectory of his sniping bullets. I wouldn't mind more stuff like that in AC. For example we could visit the location of our next assassination before the mission to plan possible assassination techniques. Scanning your environment could tell you whether you would have a clear shot of your target from the balcony or whether the bullet might hit something else. It could tell you where your target is likely to sit at a dinner table, so you could poison his food. We could maybe find evidence that he has a mistress and bribe her to lure him into a quiet corner. Stuff like that.

Locopells
06-07-2014, 12:38 AM
That might work, actually.

Ureh
06-07-2014, 04:06 AM
I like what they did with the smoke bomb+EV in ACR. Maybe a memory or sequence with lots of smoke/fire or fog blanketing the rooftops, EV will save the day.

Wolfmeister1010
06-07-2014, 04:21 AM
"CTOS Crime detection". You get a sense when a crime is about to occur near you. That is all I want.

Fatal-Feit
06-07-2014, 06:22 AM
"CTOS Crime detection". You get a sense when a crime is about to occur near you. That is all I want.

This. Actually, I'd love to see a HUGE emphasis on EV this time around. Make it almost as critical as hacking was in Watch_Dogs.

RinoTheBouncer
06-07-2014, 10:05 AM
I personally loved the Eagle Vision in AC:R, because as another member said, it makes much more sense. Itís a sense not a mind-reading ability so one needs to focus and analyze the situation to judge not just magically summon the knowledge and I loved how Ezio could predict how certain events couldíve taken place and how to mark footsteps. It looked neater than tagging enemies in ACIV.

Ichrukia56
06-07-2014, 10:29 AM
I personally loved the Eagle Vision in AC:R, because as another member said, it makes much more sense. It’s a sense not a mind-reading ability so one needs to focus and analyze the situation to judge not just magically summon the knowledge and I loved how Ezio could predict how certain events could’ve taken place and how to mark footsteps. It looked neater than tagging enemies in ACIV.

I agree with you on how the Eagle Vision worked in AC:R but i liked the Tagging Enemies in AC:IV but

DinoSteve1
06-07-2014, 09:55 PM
I agree with you on how the Eagle Vision worked in AC:R but i liked the Tagging Enemies in AC:IV but
but what? pls finish or it will drive me crazy.