PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft® and Nvidia team up on Assassin's Creed Unity!

Mr_Shade
06-04-2014, 05:00 PM
UBISOFT® AND NVIDIA TEAM UP ON ASSASSIN’S CREED® UNITY, FAR CRY® 4, THE CREW™ AND
TOM CLANCY’S THE DIVISION™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrVGKFPtNrw

London, UK - June 4, 2014 — Ubisoft and NVIDIA today announced the next chapter in their strategic partnership bringing amazing PC gaming experiences to life in Ubisoft’s highly anticipated upcoming titles including Assassin’s Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, The Crew and Tom Clancy’s The Division.

NVIDIA’s GameWorks Team is working closely with Ubisoft’s development studios to incorporate cutting edge graphics technology and gaming innovations to create game worlds that deliver unprecedented realism and immersion. NVIDIA’s GameWorks technology includes TXAA antialiasing, which provides Hollywood-levels of smooth animation, soft shadows, HBAO+ (horizon-based ambient occlusion), advanced DX11 tessellation, and NVIDIA PhysX technology.

“Working with NVIDIA has enabled us to bring an enhanced gameplay experience to our PC players,” said Geoffroy Sardin, senior vice president of sales and marketing, Ubisoft. “We look forward to continuing our partnership with NVIDIA on our biggest upcoming titles.”

This announcement builds on the successful collaboration between Ubisoft and NVIDIA that added visually stunning effects to Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™, Assassins Creed® IV Black Flag and Watch Dogs™.

“We’re excited to continue our long-term partnership with Ubisoft in bringing our latest PC technology to their games”, said Tony Tamasi, senior vice president of Content & Technology at NVIDIA. “Through GameWorks, we have been able to add unique visual and gameplay innovations to deliver amazing experiences for these stellar Ubisoft games. I can’t wait to play them myself.”

For the latest on all of Ubisoft’s games, please visit the UbiBlog: ubiblog.com

About Ubisoft:
Ubisoft is a leading creator, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment and services, with a rich portfolio of world-renowned brands, including Assassin’s Creed, Just Dance, Tom Clancy’s video game series, Rayman and Far Cry. The teams throughout Ubisoft’s worldwide network of studios and business offices are committed to delivering original and memorable gaming experiences across all popular platforms, including consoles, mobile phones, tablets and PCs. For the 2013–14 fiscal year Ubisoft generated sales of €1,007 million. To learn more, please visit www.ubisoftgroup.com.

About NVIDIA
Since 1993, NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) has pioneered the art and science of visual computing. The company's technologies are transforming a world of displays into a world of interactive discovery — for everyone from gamers to scientists, and consumers to enterprise customers. More information at http://nvidianews.nvidia.com and http://blogs.nvidia.com.

© 2013-2014 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. Assassin’s Creed, Black Flag, Far Cry, The Crew logo, Tom Clancy’s, Splinter Cell, The Division logo, Blacklist, Sam Fisher, the Soldier icon, Watch Dogs, Ubisoft and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries. For Far Cry, based on Crytek’s original Far Cry directed by Cevat Yerli. Powered by Crytek’s technology “CryEngine”.

Ureh
06-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Oh so close. So palpable... can't wait to see what they've got.

Anykeyer
06-06-2014, 06:10 AM
Please no more physx. This tech should die

r0nflex
06-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Please no more uplay. This soft should die

Dicehunter
06-10-2014, 05:40 AM

Please no more uplay. This soft should die

Yes to both, Uplay is just terrible, Please let it die, Port all games over to steam.

And as for Physx, I own an Nvidia card but Physx was so badly implemented in AC4, And for what it did which wasn't much at all, It killed performance.

Look at the Batman Arkham series, They all have Physx and have beautiful graphics on par with AC4 and performance that is awesome, Please learn from them.

Quarlian
06-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Wait, so cutting edge tec from nvidia.
AC5:Unity gonna be epic :)

johnsmith145
06-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Let us hope that the new PhysX implementation does not create the horrible framerate drops it did in AC4.

AherasSTRG
06-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Well, this alliance actually worked last year. Made Assassin's Creed 4 run okay on PCs, even though it was a Ubisoft game.

Anykeyer
06-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Assassin's Creed 4 run okay on PCs
Excuse me? Having just one smoking bonfire on your screen kills fps. 30 on high end haswell i5/i7, about 15-20 on more common systems

AherasSTRG
06-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Excuse me? Having just one smoking bonfire on your screen kills fps. 30 on high end haswell i5/i7, about 15-20 on more common systems

GTX 760 OC Edition / Intel i5 3570 / 8 GBs of RAM and I play the game on High / SMAA / no PhysX at 50 to 60 fps.

Anykeyer
06-16-2014, 04:55 PM
So you dont even use nvidia-exclusive stuff an claim it to run ok because of nvidia. Enable physx LOL

AherasSTRG
06-18-2014, 12:53 PM
So you dont even use nvidia-exclusive stuff an claim it to run ok because of nvidia. Enable physx LOL

I do use HBAO+ and the SMAA used in the game is enhanced by Nvidia. HBAO+ runs better than the other one... oh, god, I cannot remember the initials, anyway... and so does SMAA. Don't get me wrong, Assassin's Creed 4 was a bad port, but with the help of Nvidia, I managed to play the game at satisfactory quality and framerate. Had it not been SMAA and HBAO+, I 'd probably be running the game at 40 - 50 frames.

Have you played Watch Dogs, Anykeyer? Now, that's a disgrace to PC technology...

GunnarGunderson
06-24-2014, 12:20 AM
*Will require the latest 800 series card and Intel i9 processor to reach 20fps on mid settings because we don't optimize our games

Anykeyer
06-24-2014, 06:08 AM
They do optimise their games. They already optimised Watch Dogs http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/06/ubisoft-explains-why-watch-dogs-on-pc-had-hidden-graphic-options/
And probably already busy optimising AC4

GunnarGunderson
06-24-2014, 07:19 PM
They do optimise their games. They already optimised Watch Dogs http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/06/ubisoft-explains-why-watch-dogs-on-pc-had-hidden-graphic-options/
And probably already busy optimising AC4

Is that why I can max out Crysis 3 but not Far Cry 3?

Anykeyer
06-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Exactly.

YazX_
06-28-2014, 12:15 AM

you mean this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktVmLJ5i4NY

Anykeyer
06-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Yes, this. Almost everything can be done with DX11 compute or opencl or just modern CPU. Google "nvidia smoke demo", they demoed simulated water and smoke on DX9c long before they aquired ageia.
Physx, being restricted to nvidia, will never change core gameplay, in reality its limited to minor (usually SP-only) visual effects and therefore physx is useless. Waste of developers time.
Also physx implementation even on nvidia's own hardware is problematic, it adds a lot of latency, has huge CPU overhead (while its supposed to free CPU), has problems with SLI and just generally tends to break.

YazX_
07-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Yes, this. Almost everything can be done with DX11 compute or opencl or just modern CPU. Google "nvidia smoke demo", they demoed simulated water and smoke on DX9c long before they aquired ageia.
Physx, being restricted to nvidia, will never change core gameplay, in reality its limited to minor (usually SP-only) visual effects and therefore physx is useless. Waste of developers time.
Also physx implementation even on nvidia's own hardware is problematic, it adds a lot of latency, has huge CPU overhead (while its supposed to free CPU), has problems with SLI and just generally tends to break.

i'm not arguing on the fact that those can be simulated without Nvidia Physx but i dont know about you, there is a huge difference between Nvidia implementation and ageia's. however, Physx changing core gameplay or not is a user preference, for me it adds a great deal to any game when supported, maybe for you its just a waste. anyway, just few AAA titles support Physx which is a shame.

According to performance, i've always used SLI in my setups and never had an issue with it, while it might be problematic on some games as you said, but i believe the lack of PC optimization is the main reason behind it not the library itself.

Since this game is using GameWorks, i cant see how Physx is a waste of developers time while Nvidia provides all necessary tools along with their GameWorks library.

Anykeyer
07-03-2014, 07:06 AM
"Broad" physx support from AAA games is directly connected to its usefullness. Basically it appears only when nvidia pays publisher and includes game in its marketing program, just like with "glorious industry-saving" mantle.
Gameworks isnt really solving anything. UE had physx as its default for years, yet most developers opt out from using it in GPU-accelerated mode. I would rather prefer Unity w/o gameworks at all. In AC4 all major performance drops were caused by this library. It took several months to fix godrays perfrormace issues. And they never really fixed physx.

YazX_
07-03-2014, 12:08 PM
"Broad" physx support from AAA games is directly connected to its usefullness. Basically it appears only when nvidia pays publisher and includes game in its marketing program, just like with "glorious industry-saving" mantle.
Gameworks isnt really solving anything. UE had physx as its default for years, yet most developers opt out from using it in GPU-accelerated mode. I would rather prefer Unity w/o gameworks at all. In AC4 all major performance drops were caused by this library. It took several months to fix godrays perfrormace issues. And they never really fixed physx.

yes man i do agree on these, but would you say the same if the game is fully optimized for PC?!

Batman Arkham Series and especially Origins runs great with GameWorks while Physx running all the time, no FPS drops nor performance downgrade. the core problem is most games are ported from consoles, so its unoptimized by nature and the developer wont spend any time to optimize it, then Nvidia comes in and adds their GameWorks library on top of it which introduces alot of problems and performance issues, so its the developer fault rather than GameWorks.

What you are saying here is true, not having them at all is alot better than having them running with bad performance, either ways you will disable such features due to this fact, i believe Nvidia should focus on games' optimization before throwing their GameWorks in, but still cannot deny the fact that those effects make a difference in user gaming experience, at least for me.

BlastThyName
07-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Can we realistically expect news from the PC version during Gamescom ?
Protip for Ubisoft : if you don't market your PC versions they won't sell well, cf Watch Dogs.

YazX_
07-24-2014, 01:10 AM
Can we realistically expect news from the PC version during Gamescom ?
Protip for Ubisoft : if you don't market your PC versions they won't sell well, cf Watch Dogs.

i dont think so, i believe they will release Nvidia features in ACU video same they did with AC4 before 3-4 weeks of release and thats about it. not sure what do you mean by WD sales, i believe it sells quite good on PC especially its bundled with Nvidia cards and some laptops.

BlastThyName
07-24-2014, 08:39 PM
i dont think so, i believe they will release Nvidia features in ACU video same they did with AC4 before 3-4 weeks of release and thats about it. not sure what do you mean by WD sales, i believe it sells quite good on PC especially its bundled with Nvidia cards and some laptops.
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/watch_dogs-pc-sales-10-12-next-gen-version-sold-2x-more-than-old-gen-version/

Ubisoft has released some new information about the sales of Watch_Dogs during its conference call. According to the French company, the PC version has managed to sell around 10-12% of the game’s total sales. In addition, the next-gen version (meaning the one for PS4, Xbox One and PC) has sold 2X more than the old-gen version (PS3 and X360).
Not even 1 million for the PC sku.

I don't know what Ubisoft's expectations were with regards to the PC version but I find those numbers pretty underwhelming.

Surely there is more to do with the PC market and I'd blame those sales on the lack of marketing. Ubisoft don't need to be afraid of showing off their PC skus because we can't know how bad they run until they are released.

Mr_Shade
07-25-2014, 12:24 PM
:rolleyes:

piffmclovin
07-26-2014, 03:14 AM
Since I have a AMD machine, I have NEVER met a PhysX game that plays good at all on my computer! Got AC: Brotherhood for my computer and it runs okay but nothing special. Inside a city I will see drops of fps down to mid 30's-mid 40's. The game also is very "jittery" on my computer. I have a
AMD 8350
AMD 7990
and 8gb (1600mhz) ram.
(and of course other components)

Train Simulator 2014 is a bad example of PhysX... The game looks like it was made in 2006 but I am lucky to get 30fps in the game! Thats with most settings turned up and a couple turned down. Similar results on other PhysX games.

BlastThyName
07-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Since I have a AMD machine, I have NEVER met a PhysX game that plays good at all on my computer! Got AC: Brotherhood for my computer and it runs okay but nothing special. Inside a city I will see drops of fps down to mid 30's-mid 40's. The game also is very "jittery" on my computer. I have a
AMD 8350
AMD 7990
and 8gb (1600mhz) ram.
(and of course other components)

Train Simulator 2014 is a bad example of PhysX... The game looks like it was made in 2006 but I am lucky to get 30fps in the game! Thats with most settings turned up and a couple turned down. Similar results on other PhysX games.

CUDA is Geforce exclusive, that's why.

apresmode
07-29-2014, 05:04 PM
AC Unity will be my first AC game on PC. I'm hoping my PC can run it well. It runs Watch_Dogs without too much trouble so I think it should be fine.

BlastThyName
07-29-2014, 06:02 PM
AC Unity will be my first AC game on PC. I'm hoping my PC can run it well. It runs Watch_Dogs without too much trouble so I think it should be fine.
What are your specs ? I think any decent PC build in the last 4 years will "run" Unity but high/max settings will be demanding for sure.
With Kiev at the helm it will destroy a Titan Black.

Frankly, I feel sorry for Nvidia.
They deserve a lot better than this, Unity on PC will be hilariously optimized and whatever interesting tech Nvidia are working on will be wasted because of that.

Sad news all around for PC gamers and yet another piece of evidence suggesting that Ubisoft have no interest whatsoever to make the most out of the PC platform.

HZD87
08-17-2014, 09:43 PM
I really hope not, and it would be stupid if this was the case after W_D Debacle.

The article states “Working with NVIDIA has enabled us to bring an enhanced gameplay experience to our PC players,, now to me this sounds like some attempt at PC optimization on the NVIDEA side of things.

You'd hope after all the years in development the PC optimization has taken a fair chunk of time to achieve, and considering the GPU's on the ONE / 4 are about the same as the late 7000 AMD chips i'd expect to see better performance from an NVIDEA card both off the shelf and because of this partnership.

ATI guys in the PC realm sound like they will have a hardtime considering how bad ATI performed in 3/4 on PC on anything around high setting at 1680x1050

Dicehunter
08-17-2014, 10:14 PM
What are your specs ? I think any decent PC build in the last 4 years will "run" Unity but high/max settings will be demanding for sure.
With Kiev at the helm it will destroy a Titan Black.

Frankly, I feel sorry for Nvidia.
They deserve a lot better than this, Unity on PC will be hilariously optimized and whatever interesting tech Nvidia are working on will be wasted because of that.

Sad news all around for PC gamers and yet another piece of evidence suggesting that Ubisoft have no interest whatsoever to make the most out of the PC platform.

Well considering a Titan Black and 780 Ti are basically the same card minus the precision and extra memory, I'm hoping the game runs well maxed out at 1080P minus anti-aliasing on my 780 Ti, Nicely overclocked :)

JulianSwann
08-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Well considering a Titan Black and 780 Ti are basically the same card minus the precision and extra memory, I'm hoping the game runs well maxed out at 1080P minus anti-aliasing on my 780 Ti, Nicely overclocked :)

Hey folk my question is can I run Unity maxed out at Ultra settings with and Core i5 4th gen clocked at 3,1GHZ and my GPU the AMD Radeon HD 7970 3075MB of video memory?
And what's the highest resolution? I got an Dell U24xx with ress of 1900x1200 and an Apple Thunderbolt Display with and ress of 2560x1440 QHD witch is better to use for quality and performance game play?

Dicehunter
08-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Hey folk my question is can I run Unity maxed out at Ultra settings with and Core i5 4th gen clocked at 3,1GHZ and my GPU the AMD Radeon HD 7970 3075MB of video memory?
And what's the highest resolution? I got an Dell U24xx with ress of 1900x1200 and an Apple Thunderbolt Display with and ress of 2560x1440 QHD witch is better to use for quality and performance game play?

We won't know until Unity is released but a good point of reference will be AC4 Black Flag, If you can run black flag maxed out at 1080P or 1440P minus anti-aliasing then it will probably be a good indicator that Unity will run well.

But as I said we won't know for sure until Unity has been released.

D_cover
10-10-2014, 05:49 AM
I'm hoping that Ubisoft don't follow the trend of other developers and asking for a stupid amount of high end hardware to run the game maxed out. My jaw dropped when they were asking for 4GB Vram to run Watch Dogs and other developers seem to be following that trend of The Evil Within asking for 4gb Vram and Shadow of Mordor asking for 6gb Vram.

If Ubisoft truly want to support the PC platform like they said they would do they really need to start optimizing their games on the PC platform. I have trouble playing Blackflag on my system if I want to stream it.

Upgrading to a 4930K to compensate for what will no doubt be a demanding game.

On the topic of PhsyX I like what it does but it seems to be so demanding.

I'll need to see a demo of it before making up my mind.

Anykeyer
10-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Its only normal for games to start using a lot of VRAM. Bot consoles have 8GB of shared RAM and developers started using higher res textures because of this.

CaptainKabuko
10-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Bad For AMD based Computers

GeorgeLazu
10-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Bad For AMD based Computers

I doubt it. Most games are optimised to run better on AMD than intel's equivalent.

ABigFatCow
10-24-2014, 09:22 AM
yay....now i need two titan z's 128 gigs of ram and two intel zeons to run the games at minimum settings

oliacr
10-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Joke

RaulO4
10-25-2014, 04:14 PM
so even with nvidia help, you failed on pc optimization ...

oliacr
10-25-2014, 07:00 PM
so even with nvidia help, you failed on pc optimization ...

They didn't plan to. I've read somewhere, AC4s producer on pc optimization said that they really don't care about that because on PC you just buy a faster graphics card and thats it, problem solved. Nice way of thinking I guess.

Locopells
10-29-2014, 06:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrVGKFPtNrw

funbox124
10-29-2014, 09:52 PM
i can play ac unity???? my pc:
""""GTX 660 2GB :/"""""
I7 4770K 3.4@ :D
32GB RAM :DD
MOTHERBOARD MAXIMUS VI HERO :)
WINDOWS 7 64 BITS :)
2 TB :)
COOLE MASTER 1000W

strigoi1958
10-29-2014, 09:57 PM
i can play ac unity???? my pc:
""""GTX 660 2GB :/"""""
I7 4770K 3.4@ :D
32GB RAM :DD
MOTHERBOARD MAXIMUS VI HERO :)
WINDOWS 7 64 BITS :)
2 TB :)
COOLE MASTER 1000W

there's another thread for this discussion, but we're waiting for benchmarks so don't panic yet. the 660 is a great card

Tanyn
11-11-2014, 02:44 AM
There have been a few benchmark videos thrown out there now with specs that were DRAMATICALLY lower than the posted minimums, and they ran it just fine on mdeium settings. I can't find the link to the youtube videos to save my life, but they're in a few of the other forum posts. Suffice to say ... Ubisoft was way off the mark on the posted specs ... like, ridiculously far off. One can theorize that this may have been a conspiracy ... or maybe, as is beginning to feel more and more accurate ... they just really don't give two holy damns about PC Gamers, so, who cares if THOSE guys get accurate information, right? I mean, they're just the PC gamers ... -_-

Note to Ubisoft: For future reference ... MINIMUM requirements are, historically, what is needed just to get the game to turn on ... not what is needed to run at 60 FPS in 1080p ... Kinda feel like those specs were posted just to get us to rush out and buy new NVidia cards -_-

Tanyn
11-11-2014, 02:54 AM
If Ubisoft truly want to support the PC platform like they said they would do they really need to start optimizing their games on the PC platform.

When ... the HELL ... did they even PRETEND to say that? O.o ... they've been shafting us for a while now.

alexyush
11-13-2014, 07:51 AM
So it took you guys 4 years to make this, really.. Come on wtf now i would have to wait for the reviews on Farcry 4. This game taught me from now on not trust these publisher they are like politicians the promise one thing, but its the total opposite we receive. I have 2 gtx titans running in sli and the game still runs like **** and its an Nvidia card, so i think we the green team are also taking a hit......

KiBaFuS
11-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Game, and so is not optimized, NVIDIA GameWorks will make matters worse. Sorry for my english.

nzrich1
11-13-2014, 06:46 PM
I bought a GTX 970 card and got the choice of games and took Assassin's Creed Unity, ubisoft sent me links etc and said the game is ready for download. However there is no download button on the screen it takes me to.

Someone suggested getting the Uplay game launcher. I did so but under Games nothing appears.

Does anyone have suggestions? Anyone else done this successfully yet? Is it simply as I'm in the UK, someone said that maybe it launches Friday which is tomorrow in the UK:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/916045-Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-Launching-November-11-in-US-November-13-in-EMEA?p=10331560#post10331560

Cheers,

aruler
11-13-2014, 07:29 PM
GeForce to be reckoned with, looking forward to FC4 too, the TWIMTBP :D

gr8pcs
11-16-2014, 02:39 AM
Oh so close. So palpable... can't wait to see what they've got.
Yep now we all know what they have achieved they have worked together really good and look what they have left us with.:D