PDA

View Full Version : RAF Markings?



VW-IceFire
06-25-2004, 07:26 AM
I think most people I've talked to know that there is a few things wrong with the RAF markings that are applied to any Great Britain aircraft in this game.

As most people know, I'm quite used to compromise and tolerating a variety of issues if it means that we get the stuff working in the game. Now that we've got a bunch of Hurricanes and Spitfires flyable, B-25's flown mostly by the RAF, the Gladiator that gets RAF roundels put on it all the time, and not to mention the Mustang MK III and MK IV that we've got (the C and D if you will).

So now the issue at hand. As most of you familar with RAF markings will know, the default roundels that the game puts on are entirely the wrong color. While I can't find a good color guide, I know I've been shown one from online sites before and anyone doing custom markings for a Spitfire that has painted their own markings on will see the difference.

The color of the markings we have on all of the aircraft are the high visibility training ones that you'll see on Ansons, Harvards, and other aircraft that were part of the Commonwealth Air Training Program. What we should have is the low visibility combat markings.

Look at this Spitfire: http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/spitxvi.jpg

And this Mitchell:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/mitchell5.jpg

I know there are others out there who wouldn't mind having this fixed either. I'm not going to whine endlessly but I thought the time was due to bring this up again.

Is there a technical limitation to the standard marking system that means that we can't have more correct colors (deeper blues, reds, and yellows?) or is it just something that hasn't really been looked at? Is this something we can get fixed?

If anyone has some good references to the painting of the schemes as well...that'd be great.

BTW: I'd rather not have this as an argument thread. Its not a whine, its not an accusation, its just something that isn't right and it could be made better (just like how the USAAF aircraft have their stars and bars now painted on the skins so that the colors and sizes are correct).

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

VW-IceFire
06-25-2004, 07:26 AM
I think most people I've talked to know that there is a few things wrong with the RAF markings that are applied to any Great Britain aircraft in this game.

As most people know, I'm quite used to compromise and tolerating a variety of issues if it means that we get the stuff working in the game. Now that we've got a bunch of Hurricanes and Spitfires flyable, B-25's flown mostly by the RAF, the Gladiator that gets RAF roundels put on it all the time, and not to mention the Mustang MK III and MK IV that we've got (the C and D if you will).

So now the issue at hand. As most of you familar with RAF markings will know, the default roundels that the game puts on are entirely the wrong color. While I can't find a good color guide, I know I've been shown one from online sites before and anyone doing custom markings for a Spitfire that has painted their own markings on will see the difference.

The color of the markings we have on all of the aircraft are the high visibility training ones that you'll see on Ansons, Harvards, and other aircraft that were part of the Commonwealth Air Training Program. What we should have is the low visibility combat markings.

Look at this Spitfire: http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/spitxvi.jpg

And this Mitchell:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/mitchell5.jpg

I know there are others out there who wouldn't mind having this fixed either. I'm not going to whine endlessly but I thought the time was due to bring this up again.

Is there a technical limitation to the standard marking system that means that we can't have more correct colors (deeper blues, reds, and yellows?) or is it just something that hasn't really been looked at? Is this something we can get fixed?

If anyone has some good references to the painting of the schemes as well...that'd be great.

BTW: I'd rather not have this as an argument thread. Its not a whine, its not an accusation, its just something that isn't right and it could be made better (just like how the USAAF aircraft have their stars and bars now painted on the skins so that the colors and sizes are correct).

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

_VR_ScorpionWorm
06-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Thats why I use Ace's Mat Manager now. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary force:
You are about to embark upon a Great Crusade toward which we have strived these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking" - Gen. Dwight D. Eiseinhower-Supreme Allied Commander.

www.vultures-row.com (http://www.vultures-row.com)

VW-IceFire
06-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Maybe I was being dumb. I couldn't get it to work.

It'd still be nice to see as a default thing. This sim is very accurate most of the time and indeed for the main things that its modeled it is...but the RAF roundels are a glaring exception for some generally very well researched markings (i.e. the Russian and German ones, although not 100% accurate are very close and yet retain flexibility).

What would be good is for one of their artists, or heck, a community artist, to spend the day doing RAF roundels & finflashes with proper colors and marking types on all standard RAF types (Mustang's included) right on the texture. This has been done for the Italians, the USAAF, and a couple of Russian aircraft (the I-16 for instance).

Most of the reasons I assume for doing that is the colorful and somewhat difficult to do markings that each of those nations do (compaired to the simple cross or star emblems used by the Luftwaffe and VVS - again, obviously it doesn't account for all variations in markings but its a much more accurate representation).

And its not for lack of texture room. The Spitfires already load new textures if you select RAF for the finflash (which was a nice and welcome touch BTW). It would be nice to see something done...

My other beef with the representation here is obviously the squadrons (there are no Canadian squadrons except for No. 1 if you count that one and tons of other missing groups from standard RAF fare and other commonwealth nations). But thats a side note http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If given a choice, I'd like to see the markings corrected. Having both would be gold. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

All I hope for is for this to get to the developers. Hopefully, something can be done or at the very least some kind of reaction can be given.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Philipscdrw
06-25-2004, 07:55 PM
I want to have markings under the weathering/panel lines mask in Bob.

PhilipsCDRw

"Nietzsche is dead." - God.

View Cpt. Eric Brown's review of FB here (http://www.aerosociety.com/raes/news/SimReview.pdf) and discuss it here. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=63110913&m=309109534&r=875101634#875101634)

DeerHunterUK
06-26-2004, 05:52 AM
I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for IceFire; http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/hurricane/marking.htm
It's a nice site though. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

No1_Moggy
-----
In memory of 'The Few'
http://www.lima1.co.uk/Sharkey/spitfire.jpg
The Tangmere Pilots - http://www.tangmerepilots-raf.co.uk/
Know your enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated.

VW-IceFire
06-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Right on...thats a perfect example of the colors and marking types used. I'd really like to see this paid a bit more attention to. That'd be fantastic.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Extreme_One
06-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Mat manager has proved that there's no technical limitation. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I highly reccomend giving it another try as I doubt very much whether this will be addressed by the developers.

VW-IceFire If you try it out and get stuck PM me and I'll try and help you out http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

S! Simon
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''
Download the USAAF & RAF campaign folders here (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-10.html).

Download "North and South" including the Japanese speech-pack here (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-12.html). *NEW*

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/simplysimon-Ex_1_sig.jpg

VW-IceFire
06-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks. So my biggest problem right now is the installation of the software. Not entirely sure what to download and install to make the markings work.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

_VR_ScorpionWorm
06-27-2004, 07:48 PM
The latest version is 1.70, Aces will be having a 1.80 version out soon. Its rather simple now. Run IL2Mat setup, configure(readme shows what to do, 2 simple things), activate. Double click IL2MatManager, press unzip, after its unzipped IL2MatManager should run automatically, if not double click the desktop icon. Set your settings press quit. You only need to enter setup if your HL and FB folder are different from default.

I had trouble when I first got IL2 MatManager,(version 1.31), but now since 1.50 its has gotten easier to install. Cant wait till v1.80 comes out, even more features. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary force:
You are about to embark upon a Great Crusade toward which we have strived these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking" - Gen. Dwight D. Eiseinhower-Supreme Allied Commander.

www.vultures-row.com (http://www.vultures-row.com)

VW-IceFire
06-27-2004, 08:52 PM
So I got the all in one package....and yet no matter what I do...no matter how I set it up (and I am running it through the IL2 Mat Manager first before FB gets started from there)...it doesn't do anything at all.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

pacettid
06-28-2004, 05:26 AM
The key to making sure that "it works" is to:


1) Read the documentation provided
2) Load IL2 MAT and IL2 MAT Manager
3) Start and configure MAT Manager by showing it where to find your IL2 FB.exe (in the IL2 root directory). This is done the first time you start the Mat Manger, or you can just select the 'Set-up' buttom in the 'Control Panel' section of the user interface. You also have to check all the appropriate boxes in the user interface.
4) Start and configure IL2 MAT (it has to be ON, AND ACTIVE for IL2 MAT Manager to work). Ensure the word MAT is in the box in the lower right corner of the IL2 MAT user interface. You also have to tell it where to find your IL2 FB.exe and the CoopRegt folder (both are in your IL2 FB root directory). Examples are: C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\, and C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\CoopRegt\

Good luck, and let us know if you are still having problems

All the best, Don

_VR_ScorpionWorm
06-28-2004, 05:00 PM
If your still having trouble, how bout getting a bud that has it installed, get on TS and communicate the steps.

"Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary force:
You are about to embark upon a Great Crusade toward which we have strived these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking" - Gen. Dwight D. Eiseinhower-Supreme Allied Commander.

www.vultures-row.com (http://www.vultures-row.com)

Owl_NZ
06-28-2004, 05:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
My other beef with the representation here is obviously the squadrons (there are no Canadian squadrons except for No. 1 if you count that one and tons of other missing groups from standard RAF fare and other commonwealth nations). But thats a side note http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It ain't through lack of trying Icefire. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif I gave them all that at Xmas time. The server at UBI lost it (we presume), so it was sent again (too late for 2.01). Oleg never did give me even a read receipt, and no answer to my request for confirmation of receipt I sent later either. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I'll try emailing him again, but I doubt I'll get a reply. Anyone with these new patches please see if they are in now. If not, http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-mad.gif I'll have to start asking Oleg for an answer about them....

There were 240+ squadrons done for the RAF (+ RAF-based Polish (which are in), Canadian, Aussie, NZ, Czech, French, Norwegian, Dutch, and Greek), so hopefully Oleg has them and they are coming soon. I tell you, it makes me cringe seeing that massive list for the US, USSR and Germany, and that wussy little list for the RAF. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

VW-IceFire
06-28-2004, 05:22 PM
I'll have to give it a try again.

I do read the instructions but I find the ones provided very confusing and somewhat vague, especially when it comes to the details. I'll re-read and re-try again.

See what you can do Owl. I've made my own 412 Squadron entry for multiplayer in the meantime but It'd greatly enhance the single player experience (I'm building a RAF pack now) if I had some more squadrons to work with. I want to recreate some of the missions flown by Arthur Bishop and mentioned in his memoirs. He flew with No 401 RCAF squadron and quite often together with 411 and 412 squadrons. The airfield that No 401 used is on the Normandy map and quite functional. Now we just need for the actual squadron codes to show up.

Thank you sir for trying! Its appreciated at the very least!

At least some of us haven't forgotten...in a game called Forgotten Battles, you'd think they'd remember more of the overall Commonwealth contribution.

I'll keep fighting with IL2 Mat and see if it'll work. It'd still be great for the developers to strive a little higher to get the markings correct.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Owl_NZ
06-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Sent one about what 4 and half hours ago now Icefire http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif. I won't hold my breath on getting the reply. I presume Oleg's email addy hasn't changed, and that they haven't locked my email addresses as "spammer". http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

If the mods or someone with access to Oleg is reading this, can they please direct his attention to this thread or his email? For every one that says something about this there'll be at least 30 who haven't. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif We should start one of those protest threads like the Fw cockpit bar ones did. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

VW-IceFire
06-28-2004, 10:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Owl_NZ:
Sent one about what 4 and half hours ago now Icefire http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif. I won't hold my breath on getting the reply. I presume Oleg's email addy hasn't changed, and that they haven't locked my email addresses as "spammer". http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

If the mods or someone with access to Oleg is reading this, can they please direct his attention to this thread or his email? For every one that says something about this there'll be at least 30 who haven't. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif We should start one of those protest threads like the Fw cockpit bar ones did. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We're too nice for that...I hope we're too nice for that. A little self respect never hurts anyways http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I figure, if we ask really nicely, at least they won't feel begrudged into doing it. We still want them to do it and we'll post as many polite posts as required http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Owl_NZ
06-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Well, on that basis the "nice guys finish last" line is damn straight right. We make bugger all noise, be nice about it, and low and behold the RAF (& Commonwealth) are the last major players to get anything (a/c sqdns etc). Typical.... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif

I'll try private topic'ing Oleg, but given I don't think either he or luthier come to the forums anymore this might be a non-starter....

The gutting thing (certainly from my POV) is that, having spent 6+ weeks pretty much full-time doing the damn things, nothing happens....very annoying http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-mad.gif. I don't disagree that seeing 240+ in was unreasonable in anyone's language (hell I didn't intend to do that many), but only nine of what I did, combined with about a dozen from beforehand is hardly fair either in my book. But hey, I don't make those calls, Oleg does. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif That's why he has babes hanging off him at trade fairs. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

&lt;&lt;Owl_NZ enters grovel-mode&gt;&gt;

So pretty please, with sugar on top, and a cherry on the side, please put those squadrons in Oleg (or at least let me/us know you got them this time). http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif &lt;that nice enough&gt;?? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

&lt;&lt;Owl_NZ now exits grovel-mode&gt;&gt; http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Jazz-Man
06-29-2004, 04:26 AM
I'd be happy if RAF74 got it's correct markings into the game.. Right now we have EA-X..

No idea where this came from, as RAF No.74 Squadron flew as ZP and later (April 1943 onward) 4D-

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!
William "Jazz-Man" Katz
Squadron Batman
RAF No.74 Squadron
www.raf74.com (http://www.raf74.com)
http://home.sou.edu/~katzw/images/signature.jpg

VW-IceFire
07-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Big old bump. It'd be really nice to see this solved.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Owl_NZ
07-06-2004, 05:34 AM
Bump for VW-Icefire. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Another week and I'm throwing my weekly $0.02c worth at this subject. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Black Sheep
07-06-2004, 06:28 AM
I wish they'd remove the 'feature' that applies squadron crests / badges to area forward of the cockpit.

I understand why they have been included (all other nations have individual squadron markings) but I have never seen such a thing on any real life RAF warbird.

It's a minor, trivial detail but one I find quite annoying.

VW-IceFire
07-06-2004, 07:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moo.Cow:
I wish they'd remove the 'feature' that applies squadron crests / badges to area forward of the cockpit.

I understand why they have been included (all other nations have individual squadron markings) but I have never seen such a thing on any real life RAF warbird.

It's a minor, trivial detail but one I find quite annoying.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good point...this was seldom done. A few squadrons or a few aircraft in the squadron at most. I think the rules were less strict near the ending of the war but the RAF was particularly tight about what was painted on their aircraft. Which is totally different from what you see with the USAAF after 1943...they went color marking crazy http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

IL2-chuter
07-06-2004, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I think most people I've talked to know that there is a few things wrong with the RAF markings that are applied to any Great Britain aircraft in this game. . . .

. . . (just like how the USAAF aircraft have their stars and bars now painted on the skins so that the colors and sizes are correct). . . .


http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif I'm sorry . . . USAAF markings are (for the most part) wrong http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif and it doesn't look any better for PF. For those who care http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif the white rectangles are 1/4 Diameter high and 1/2 D wide and the surround stripe is 1/18 D. The insignia is NOT vertically symmetrical.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Be happy http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"I fly only Full Real in Il2 Forgotten Battles." -Mark Donohue

brasil66
07-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Good grief! This is an incredible game. The developers have gone overboard to accommodate the community and this pathetic little quibble is their repayment?
I hate to use a tired old cliche', but you guys need to "get a life". There - I said it.

ElAurens
07-06-2004, 11:06 AM
The "default" US markings are even worse.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

_____________________________

http://www.blitzpigs.com/forum/images/avatars/Curtiss_logo.gif

BlitzPig_EL

IL2-chuter
07-06-2004, 12:34 PM
My point is: With all the effort that DOES go into the game, why on earth would they allow something so obvious (to someone who has done so much research into the aircraft for the game) slide on by? It seems the markings would be the oh so easy part, doesn't it. I must be thick. And I do enjoy the game and am looking forward to PF and BoB. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"I fly only Full Real in Il2 Forgotten Battles." -Mark Donohue

VW-IceFire
07-06-2004, 01:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IL2-chuter:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I think most people I've talked to know that there is a few things wrong with the RAF markings that are applied to any Great Britain aircraft in this game. . . .

. . . (just like how the USAAF aircraft have their stars and bars now painted on the skins so that the colors and sizes are correct). . . .


http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif I'm sorry . . . USAAF markings are (for the most part) wrong http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif and it doesn't look any better for PF. For those who care http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif the white rectangles are 1/4 Diameter high and 1/2 D wide and the surround stripe is 1/18 D. The insignia is NOT vertically symmetrical.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Be happy http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"I fly only Full Real in Il2 Forgotten Battles." -Mark Donohue<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Interesting...I was definately feeling that the size and color was very much correct. I'm quite familar with the markings (although the accurate sizing I'm not) pained on US planes so I am surprised if this is indeed true.

My point still stands. The USAAF markings aren't as blatantly bad as the RAF ones. I'm sure you'll agree with me (the wrong roundels on the wing underside, the wrong colors used, etc.).

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

ElAurens
07-06-2004, 04:34 PM
There is nothing remotely accurate about these.
&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;See my avatar&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/ElAurens-USAAFmarks.jpg

The star is the wrong shape and size, and the blue is way too bright. The RAF markings are far better, but still incorrect as well.

_____________________________

http://www.blitzpigs.com/forum/images/avatars/Curtiss_logo.gif

BlitzPig_EL

VW-IceFire
07-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Yes I know those are terrible...they aren't anywhere close to being correct. However...on the vast majority of US aircraft (i.e. every major type!), they are painted on the skin. This is what I was pointing out initially...and thats what I'm continuing to point out.

That includes the P-40E which gets a nice skin from a Pacific squadron with the skull painted on the front section. Strangely the P-40M doesn't get it...but we get what we get I suppose.

I was never talking about those. So back to my original statement. The USAAF markings are FAR superior and much more correct than the current RAF markings used on ALL RAF aircraft.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

VW-IceFire
08-09-2004, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Owl_NZ:
Well, on that basis the "nice guys finish last" line is damn straight right. We make bugger all noise, be nice about it, and low and behold the RAF (& Commonwealth) are the last major players to get anything (a/c sqdns etc). Typical.... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif

I'll try private topic'ing Oleg, but given I don't think either he or luthier come to the forums anymore this might be a non-starter....

The gutting thing (certainly from my POV) is that, having spent 6+ weeks pretty much full-time doing the damn things, nothing happens....very annoying http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-mad.gif. I don't disagree that seeing 240+ in was unreasonable in anyone's language (hell I didn't intend to do that many), but only nine of what I did, combined with about a dozen from beforehand is hardly fair either in my book. But hey, I don't make those calls, Oleg does. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif That's why he has babes hanging off him at trade fairs. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

&lt;&lt;Owl_NZ enters grovel-mode&gt;&gt;

So pretty please, with sugar on top, and a cherry on the side, please put those squadrons in Oleg (or at least let me/us know you got them this time). http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif &lt;that nice enough&gt;?? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

&lt;&lt;Owl_NZ now exits grovel-mode&gt;&gt; http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Big bump for this topic.

I've got a line in on this subject. I'm gathering reference materials on the markings, colors, positioning, etc.

I've got some, and that Hurricane site is closed now, but if anyone has others that'd be good. Owl, maybe we can do something about the squadrons too.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Owl_NZ
08-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Check your PT's Icefire. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Shiftyas
08-27-2004, 11:36 AM
BUMP

Also some squadron names & badges are inaccurate as far as I can see & could do with a little twaeking. For example 602 "City of Glasgow" is labeled as "City of London" (600 Sqn). It also appears to show the 600Sqn badge.

It would be IMO especially nice to see 403 416 & 421 Sqns RCAF as these were Johnnie Johnson's 127 Wing. Its sad that the highest scoring Allied pilot in the ETO cant be properly represented in the FMB.

Back on topic the yellow edged under wing roundels, theyre just wrong. I cant find a single picture of an RAF aircraft with this type of roundel. Please fix this 1C

VW-IceFire
08-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Actually at one point there were yellow rings around all the roundels...paited on a select number of Spitfire XVI's (the Mark IX's with Packard Merlins) in 1945 during the tactical campaign moving into Germany.

Very rare, very uncomon, and its still not represented properly here since the roundels were of a different type and size.

Oleg has been notified and while there is little to do for AEP now...Pacific Fighters is another story.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RAF No 92 Squadron
"Either fight or die"

Owl_NZ
08-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Where did you see this problem Shiftyas?

This issue is well in hand, problems are being resolved/have been resolved, and (UBI permitting) you are going to get a serious amount of choices for RAF and Commonwealth units (when I don't know, but the will have the means to provide them). Currently the finishing touches are going on SAAF units (gee they're hard to track down for corroboration of codes/markings....) and the RN/FAA/Coastal Command.

And those three units Shiftyas - 403 - "Wolf", 416 "City of Oshawa" - and 421 - "Red Indian" - are amongst them. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Fear not. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

BrassEm
08-30-2004, 05:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

I've got a line in on this subject. I'm gathering reference materials on the markings, colors, positioning, etc.

I've got some, and that Hurricane site is closed now, but if anyone has others that'd be good. Owl, maybe we can do something about the squadrons too.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G'day IceFire,

How is the reference collection going? I'm sure there would be many ( read... me http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ) that would appreciate having some decent guide to get the correct RAF colours happening.

Cheers.

VW-IceFire
08-31-2004, 02:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BrassEm:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

I've got a line in on this subject. I'm gathering reference materials on the markings, colors, positioning, etc.

I've got some, and that Hurricane site is closed now, but if anyone has others that'd be good. Owl, maybe we can do something about the squadrons too.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G'day IceFire,

How is the reference collection going? I'm sure there would be many ( read... me http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ) that would appreciate having some decent guide to get the correct RAF colours happening.

Cheers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I've sent in the information. I think Oleg agrees that they are wrong. He also makes an excellent point that for all sides, the markings are an approximation and not perfect. I think what I made him understand is how horibly wrong the RAF ones are and the innacuracies considering.

He asked for details on PTO Commonwealth aircraft which have been provided. We will see how much gets fixed. I'd like to have proper roundels on Spitfires of all types and then theater specific markings for the PTO.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RAF No 92 Squadron
"Either fight or die"

BrassEm
09-01-2004, 02:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

Well I've sent in the information. I think Oleg agrees that they are wrong. He also makes an excellent point that for all sides, the markings are an approximation and not perfect. I think what I made him understand is how horibly wrong the RAF ones are and the innacuracies considering.

He asked for details on PTO Commonwealth aircraft which have been provided. We will see how much gets fixed. I'd like to have proper roundels on Spitfires of all types and then theater specific markings for the PTO.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G'day IceFire,

Definitely hanging for the PTO!!! Any chance you could publish your reference or interpretations for the skinners out there?

Cheers.

VW-IceFire
09-01-2004, 07:11 AM
Well the skinners are the people who have gotten the markings larger right actually.

I sort of half almost want to see the skinning community work on a proper Spit V and Spit IX template plus markings and sans anything else so that we can do it USAAF or Italian airforce style with the number/letter markings applied by the game but the actual markings (roundels) applied on the skin.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RAF No 92 Squadron
"Either fight or die"

BrassEm
09-02-2004, 02:08 AM
Too right. I know for sure that having the national markings (roundels) on the skin and the squadron markings applied by the game would fix a few "issues" with the spit, and a few other aircraft types as well!