PDA

View Full Version : Is Watch Dogs this generation's Crysis?

MIGHTY778629
05-27-2014, 01:59 AM
Half the topics here are complaining about not being able to run Ultra. You need 3-4GB VRAM, you need NVIDIA, etc. etc.

For you young'n's out there who don't recall what Crysis was at launch, literally nobody could get playable frames maxed out. Crytek purposely did this to "future-proof" it, but obviously the marketing failed and people *****ed and moaned.

Obviously we don't know what the "day one patch" will fix, but did Ubisoft simply push today's tech further than people anticipated?

I'm playing with a mix of Ultra and High settings (usually hovering just below 60fps, dipping just over 40fps at times, but never below that). The game looks outstanding; other than headlights not casting dynamic shadows, I certainly cannot complain about the graphics. IIRC, Crytek later mentioned it regretted including "Very High" at launch and in hindsight, it would have been better if they implemented that via a patch a year or so down the road. I mention that because I wonder if Ubisoft had left out "Ultra" from the settings and most modern day PCs could run the game "maxed" at High, if people would have complained (outside of the aforementioned shadows).

William.jpg
05-27-2014, 02:16 AM
It could be, or just poopoo optimization. No idea, game's not released and patched up yet, also I haven't even played it.

Lac3y1988
05-27-2014, 03:04 AM
Not even close. Graphically and technically it isn't even that impressive.

No dynamic headlights, no car deformation, no environment damage, bullets don't even react to many surfaces such as water, water from hydrants pass right through cars etc.

It all comes together to form a rather unimpressive world.

MIGHTY778629
05-27-2014, 03:28 AM

No dynamic headlights, no car deformation, no environment damage, bullets don't even react to many surfaces such as water, water from hydrants pass right through cars etc.

Everything other than the first thing you mentioned are physics-based issues and not graphics.

That being said, I have had car deformation (doesn't affect driveability, but damage modeling is there) and environment damage (not Red Faction building destruction, but boxes, crates, etc. do disperse, blow up, etc).

Xengre
05-27-2014, 04:11 AM

The dynamic headlights is a short sight on Ubisoft's end and an easy enough fix that can be patched in on all platforms.

GTA IV is the only game with real soft-body car deformation. GTA V takes a large step back and is in the same boat as Watch Dogs. Could be fixed via patch at a later date but it is unlikely and not a direct graphics related topic. The same for environmental damage, if memory serves me correctly, applies again to GTA V as well and only GTA IV really has damage decals on walls and other surfaces. All three games have destructible environments tho Watch Dogs clearly has set pieces that tend to look a little cheesey. A cool part is, on the PC at least, they remain in memory for a while even if you drive off somewhere else (distance limits before clearing not tested).

I don't know of any games that actually have bullets react properly to water. In fact, its not as simple as say light refraction and is even a difficult topic that may require real world tests in forensics so unless a game cheeses it it wont be seen any time soon and has yet to happen as far as I am aware. Yes, water passes through cars from hydrants which is kind of lame but not a big deal. It would be nice if this had proper fluid simulation technology that is available in PhysX.

Graphically it is very impressive even during daytime. GTA V, while looking great for a last gen game, simply doesn't even compare. The only games I can think of that are comparable graphically are Hitman Absolution (honeslty, nothing beats this yet), Crysis series, Metro series, and iMfamous Second Son, nothing else.

Personally, I am NOT fond of the camera controls and this is partially hampered by AI related pulling towards hackable objects. I do not like car control but think I may grow attached. Cars so far feel VERY heavy and difficult to properly turn, stop, slide a corner, etc. while also slamming through other vehicles and objects with ease. The rest of the controls that I have had opportunity to play with feel great.

Rubble The Dj1
05-27-2014, 04:22 AM
i agree, game feels like i expected, driving i think can be cleaned up a little by using controller over mouse to be honest

Xengre
05-27-2014, 04:35 AM
i agree, game feels like i expected, driving i think can be cleaned up a little by using controller over mouse to be honest

Primary camera concerns probably can as well were my first thoughts. Have not tested, and don't intend to unless it becomes a serious bother. Can't be worse than Spiderman 2's auto-aim (especially with Sonic Boom window fires) I would imagine.

MIGHTY778629
05-27-2014, 04:38 AM
I don't know of any games that actually have bullets react properly to water. In fact, its not as simple as say light refraction and is even a difficult topic that may require real world tests in forensics so unless a game cheeses it it wont be seen any time soon and has yet to happen as far as I am aware. Yes, water passes through cars from hydrants which is kind of lame but not a big deal. It would be nice if this had proper fluid simulation technology that is available in PhysX.
Interesting you bring up PhysX because NVIDIA has actually expanded upon PhysX with what it called "Flex". I actually wrote about this awhile back, so I'm just going to quote myself:

"Flex is the world's first unified solver, has two-way coupling effects, shared collision detection, and parallelism at all stages. In layman's terms, it basically allows multiple physics objects to interact with each other in realistic ways."

So basically solid (bullet) and liquid (water) could essentially interact appropriately via the use of Flex, but I don't know if it's actually available for developers to use or if it's still in the testing phase.

Personally, I am NOT fond of the camera controls and this is partially hampered by AI related pulling towards hackable objects. I do not like car control but think I may grow attached. Cars so far feel VERY heavy and difficult to properly turn, stop, slide a corner, etc. while also slamming through other vehicles and objects with ease. The rest of the controls that I have had opportunity to play with feel great.Camera controls in all third-person games are usually a bit wonky, so I wouldn't say I've grown accustomed to them, but I guess tolerable is more appropriate. However, I do wish I could pull back a bit further because it is often a bit too over-the-shoulder for me.

Vehicles are definitely difficult to control (especially at high speeds), but I do like that each category (eg. performance, sport) handles slightly differently, although still arcade-y. I've learned that the hand brake is your friend for turns at high speeds and some times I can even time it right where I cause no damage!

I've gotten more comfortable with KBM for driving after a few hours. It is a bit hard to control as is any driving with KBM, but I'm not a fan of going back and forth between KBM and controller for a single game. I will say though that I started to not even touch the mouse much when driving, just using the keyboard. Since the car travels based on the direction of the wheels and not the camera, I find it easier to just leave the camera (mouse) alone. This isn't like Borderlands driving.

Rubble The Dj1
05-27-2014, 04:38 AM
i find these kind of games more enjoyable with a pad, will be getting mine out tomorrow when i finally sleep and wake up to see

Xengre
05-27-2014, 05:14 AM
Interesting you bring up PhysX because NVIDIA has actually expanded upon PhysX with what it called "Flex". I actually wrote about this awhile back, so I'm just going to quote myself:

"Flex is the world's first unified solver, has two-way coupling effects, shared collision detection, and parallelism at all stages. In layman's terms, it basically allows multiple physics objects to interact with each other in realistic ways."

So basically solid (bullet) and liquid (water) could essentially interact appropriately via the use of Flex, but I don't know if it's actually available for developers to use or if it's still in the testing phase.

Camera controls in all third-person games are usually a bit wonky, so I wouldn't say I've grown accustomed to them, but I guess tolerable is more appropriate. However, I do wish I could pull back a bit further because it is often a bit too over-the-shoulder for me.

Vehicles are definitely difficult to control (especially at high speeds), but I do like that each category (eg. performance, sport) handles slightly differently, although still arcade-y. I've learned that the hand brake is your friend for turns at high speeds and some times I can even time it right where I cause no damage!

I've gotten more comfortable with KBM for driving after a few hours. It is a bit hard to control as is any driving with KBM, but I'm not a fan of going back and forth between KBM and controller for a single game. I will say though that I started to not even touch the mouse much when driving, just using the keyboard. Since the car travels based on the direction of the wheels and not the camera, I find it easier to just leave the camera (mouse) alone. This isn't like Borderlands driving.

I am familiar with PhysX FleX and can not begin to describe how excited I am for it. I am concerned about its adoption, though since PhysX has a poor history regarding its adoption rate. Due to upgrades to PhysX over the past half decade, GPUs, and hardware concerns being addressed (AMD) I do have more hope but time will tell. I could only imagine the skill of those involved in programming it. Even a simple rigid body physics system, while easy enough, isn't exactly truly simple depending on what you want it to be capable of. FleX is a monster lol.

I have no real issue outside the two games mentioned for camera control, then again I haven't played every game but I do have a good deal experience. Due to the weight of the vehicle the hand break seems to be to slow even at moderate speeds to prevent your back end from making love with the world. It is something I think I will grow accustomed too for the most part but I do believe it might need tweaks to help it out. Then again such control may feel far more natural despite its flaws on a controller. I, overall, do like it though as a whole and think its well done and not really as arcade like as some believe. Cars are just really heavy (and I haven't even tried HEAVY vehicles LOL).