PDA

View Full Version : Is there any Steam redemption for Dedsec edition

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 12:05 AM
Hi there,

Just finished unboxing my PC Watch Dogs Dedsec edition - it was awesome really happy with it but I'm not happy with the keys...

I'm trying to redeem the keys and I tried the key in Steam and it has said it's an invalid key.

I'm pretty pissed off this was not made clearer when I pre-ordered and looking through the forums and the online support desk there's no answers either.
I don't want to use multiple platforms for games, its messy for me to track and organise and wastes resources. I don't want Watch Dogs through Uplay - I use Steam for a reason.

So, can the game only be redeemed through Uplay..? -.-;;

CombatWars
05-27-2014, 12:15 AM
Hi there,

Just finished unboxing my PC Watch Dogs Dedsec edition - it was awesome really happy with it but I'm not happy with the keys...

I'm trying to redeem the keys and I tried the key in Steam and it has said it's an invalid key.

I'm pretty pissed off this was not made clearer when I pre-ordered and looking through the forums and the online support desk there's no answers either.
I don't want to use multiple platforms for games, its messy for me to track and organise and wastes resources. I don't want Watch Dogs through Uplay - I use Steam for a reason.

So, can the game only be redeemed through Uplay..? -.-;;

You do understand that Watch_Dog would still require Uplay to run, even if the game is activated on Steam correct?

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 12:20 AM
Yes, I understand that.

I want it in my Steam library so it tracks playtime and so friends can see when I'm playing it, so I can uninstall it and reinstall it through steam whenever I want to. Lot's of reasons to have it through Steam but no Steam keys -.-

Edit: Also services like playfire don't track Uplay, they track Steam. Another reason to have my Steam key...

I've already bought the game, so why can't I just redeem my copy, sitting there on my bed right beside me, on Steam.

Aside from this, I'm really disappointed that its this was not made clear before I preordered it.

CombatWars
05-27-2014, 12:27 AM
Well, to be fair, unless you're buying directly from Steam, you can't say "I was assured this activated on Steam." Ubisoft is the publisher and developer and that guaranteed that this game would be on Uplay unless you specifically purchased the game from Steam. :/

Also, if you do need the hours and for friends to know that you played it, there's two ways you can achieve that. The first way is to use the Raptr application that records your hours for all games regardless on what platform and also tells your friends(on Raptr) when you start a game. Another way is to add the Uplay game to your Steam Library as a Non-Steam game. It doesn't record the hours but it does inform your friends as to when you start playing it.

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 12:32 AM
I'm not saying I was "Assured". I never said I was "Assured".

I said they need to make it way more clear if it will be or won't be redeemable on Steam.

The retailer provided no information, they told me they didn't know either - that points at Ubisoft.

Regardless I don't care, I'd like to know if someone from Ubi can offer a solution or if they'll just leave me in the dark as developers usually do these days. They got my money already so why would they bother.

YazX_
05-27-2014, 12:37 AM
Unfortunately, Steam and UPlay have different keys, only way to have a Ubisoft game on Steam is to buy it from steam, otherwise you have to add it as non-steam game.

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 12:43 AM
Unfortunately, Steam and UPlay have different keys, only way to have a Ubisoft game on Steam is to buy it from steam, otherwise you have to add it as non-steam game.

That's ridiculous. Is there no way customer support can provide me with a key for it on Steam if I provide proof of purchase...?

CombatWars
05-27-2014, 12:46 AM
That's ridiculous. Is there no way customer support can provide me with a key for it on Steam if I provide proof of purchase...?

Just saying, this will open a floodgate of people bombarding customer support for Steam keys, be it from a Nvidia/AMD promo or some other site they purchased. :/

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Just saying, this will open a floodgate of people bombarding customer support for Steam keys, be it from a Nvidia/AMD promo or some other site they purchased. :/

That's not my problem, that's theirs.

Other games have their keys as multi redeemable on different services, Ubi could have done the same easily.

Again, is there no way customer support can provide me with a key for it on Steam if I provide proof of purchase?

RealHawxy
05-27-2014, 01:05 AM
That's not my problem, that's theirs.

Other games have their keys as multi redeemable on different services, Ubi could have done the same easily.

Again, is there no way customer support can provide me with a key for it on Steam if I provide proof of purchase?
Nope sorry. There were many topics on the forums about this, not sure why you couldn't find one.

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 01:07 AM
Nope sorry. There were many topics on the forums about this, not sure why you couldn't find one.

You don't look like customer support to me.

CombatWars
05-27-2014, 01:27 AM
You don't look like customer support to me.

There are threads about it though where the mods do answer your problem which you could have avoided as far back in April. I found two of them, there might be more but I'm not willing to trudge through the forums to look for more. :/

First thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/870977-Watch-dogs-and-steam-Question-for-UbiSoft?highlight=steam+watch)
Second thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/880143-Physical-PC-Copy?p=9974462&viewfull=1#post9974462)

UplayIsVeryBad5
05-27-2014, 01:29 AM
I completely feel your pain, SouthernPaw. I hate Uplay as much as you do, and I wish my Nvidia key was reedemable on Steam. Looks like I'll just throw it away.

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 01:41 AM
I completely feel your pain, SouthernPaw. I hate Uplay as much as you do, and I wish my Nvidia key was reedemable on Steam. Looks like I'll just throw it away.

If you're throwing away codes I'll happily take them. I'll trade them with a friend so I can get a bloody copy of this game on Steam...

RealHawxy
05-27-2014, 02:04 AM
You have to use Uplay regardless of the platform you activate it on. Hate against Uplay is just unwarranted these days. Its not like ubisoft are gonna lose money by you not playing it. You're the one that's missing out.

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 02:56 AM
Yes, I understand that.

I want it in my Steam library so it tracks playtime and so friends can see when I'm playing it, so I can uninstall it and reinstall it through steam whenever I want to. Lot's of reasons to have it through Steam but no Steam keys -.-

Edit: Also services like playfire don't track Uplay, they track Steam. Another reason to have my Steam key...

Read the above.

CombatWars
05-27-2014, 03:05 AM
Read the above.

Like I said, that could easily be alleviated with the use of Raptr (raptr.com/). It's a software that tracks your playtime and achievements, and it can also alert your friends on Raptr when you start playing a new game. It functions much like the Steam Community such as posting new threads in community groups, taking screenshots, and also has Raptr Rewards where you can buy digital/physical goods for RP(Raptr Points or something) which is gained by playing games or other community actions.

I use Raptr myself alongside Uplay, Origin, and Steam. My Raptr Profile (http://raptr.com/combatwars/wall)

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 03:20 AM
I don't want to use ANOTHER tracking service. I want Ubisoft to fix their mess and give me a god damn Steam key.

I'm never buying another ubisoft product again, this has been an absolutely crap experience and I've wasted nearly a day on it now.

MIGHTY778629
05-27-2014, 03:40 AM
I don't want to use ANOTHER tracking service. I want Ubisoft to fix their mess and give me a god damn Steam key.

I'm never buying another ubisoft product again, this has been an absolutely crap experience and I've wasted nearly a day on it now.

LMFAO. You're hilarious.

There's no "mess" here other than you not understanding how the games industry works. The only way to get a Steam key for a Uplay game is to buy directly from Steam. Every other third-party retailer (Amazon, GMG, etc.) sells Uplay keys. If you thought otherwise, you're just stupid, and Ubisoft shouldn't have to reward your stupidity.

And before you ask, yes I got a Uplay key too and would love a Steam key (I have nearly 900 games on Steam; only three on Uplay), but I'm not naive enough to expect Ubisoft to provide free keys for another platform.

(I do wish Uplay tracked game time directly in the app though)

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 03:47 AM
If I had a choice I'd be emailing customer support instead of on some forums publicly arguing my problems with people I don't care for the opinions of. Customer Support is all I want to hear from and I have yet to do so.

Ubisoft doesn't have a customer support email though, they have some crappy ask a question service that won't get me a response for at least 24 hours. Even then it will probably be an automated response that they copy pasted.

I installed my Watch Dogs from the disk onto the computer. Opened it, it opens Uplay and nothing happens. Uplay then uninstalled watch dogs and started downloading it over the internet. What the f was the point of giving me 3 disks in this collectors edition and then deleting the files and redownloading it?

Ubi, you've now cost me the price of your Dedsec edition $159.99 + 14Gb of internet + the frustration and stress of all this crap.

And if you didn't get the picture, I'm ****ing furious.

Rubble The Dj1
05-27-2014, 03:56 AM
lol

MIGHTY778629
05-27-2014, 03:57 AM
If I had a choice I'd be emailing customer support instead of on some forums publicly arguing my problems with people I don't care for the opinions of. Customer Support is all I want to hear from and I have yet to do so.

Ubisoft doesn't have a customer support email though, they have some crappy ask a question service that won't get me a response for at least 24 hours. Even then it will probably be an automated response that they copy pasted.

Not only do you not understand how publishers work, but it seems you don't know how to use the Internet either.

I've contacted Ubisoft Support twice this month. First time I got a response that same day (a Friday). The second time, just this weekend actually, it took 1.5 days, but I still got a response...and on a Sunday!

So clearly you don't know what you're doing.

CombatWars
05-27-2014, 04:18 AM

I very much doubt that they'll give people Steam keys just because you want it for personal preference but I could be wrong. You got what you paid for and I really don't think they'll bow down and go back on what they've stated to other customers for years just because you want your life to be easier or something :/

LMFAO. You're hilarious.

There's no "mess" here other than you not understanding how the games industry works. The only way to get a Steam key for a Uplay game is to buy directly from Steam. Every other third-party retailer (Amazon, GMG, etc.) sells Uplay keys. If you thought otherwise, you're just stupid, and Ubisoft shouldn't have to reward your stupidity.

False. Amazon sold Steam keys for Assassin Creed IV Black Flag for quite a while...it's where I got my copy.

Edit: They're still selling it. Image (http://i.imgur.com/1Gvc6yq.png)

TJ_Wylde
05-27-2014, 04:21 AM
My god the bs in this thread. It's always been known that you need Uplay for it and that you won't buy a steam version if you buy a normal disked version of the game. If you didn't know you didn't read anything when you bought it.

Now on a friendlier note (sorry it's been all bs on this forum the last week and get tired of it). You can just add it to steam as a non-steam game (not sure if it tracks played time though). If it's really just about tracking time you could use Raptr or anything alike and even earn points for free games/hardware etc. wile you are playing. And don't bs about not wanting another tracker. Steam is not a tracking system it's just a provided extra in a shop. And if you really want to track time (could just look it up in save files anyway) it wouldn't matter to you if you'd install 1 simple single tool that does it all.

Also this forum is not and won't be costumer support and they won't help you here. If you want/need them there are a few options and yes one of the is emailing them or the online contact form. And if that's not enough you could also call them and get help right away (phone numbers etc. are @ http://www.ubi.com/US/Support/InternationalSupport.aspx).Though you won't get a steam key i'll guarantee you that. Next time before you order anything (from anyone) please do your research so we won't have to put with this nonsense please.

CombatWars
05-27-2014, 04:28 AM
You can just add it to steam as a non-steam game (not sure if it tracks played time though).

It doesn't :(

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 04:49 AM
My god the bs in this thread. It's always been known that you need Uplay for it and that you won't buy a steam version if you buy a normal disked version of the game. If you didn't know you didn't read anything when you bought it.

Now on a friendlier note (sorry it's been all bs on this forum the last week and get tired of it). You can just add it to steam as a non-steam game (not sure if it tracks played time though). If it's really just about tracking time you could use Raptr or anything alike and even earn points for free games/hardware etc. wile you are playing. And don't bs about not wanting another tracker. Steam is not a tracking system it's just a provided extra in a shop. And if you really want to track time (could just look it up in save files anyway) it wouldn't matter to you if you'd install 1 simple single tool that does it all.

Also this forum is not and won't be costumer support and they won't help you here. If you want/need them there are a few options and yes one of the is emailing them or the online contact form. And if that's not enough you could also call them and get help right away (phone numbers etc. are @ http://www.ubi.com/US/Support/InternationalSupport.aspx).Though you won't get a steam key i'll guarantee you that. Next time before you order anything (from anyone) please do your research so we won't have to put with this nonsense please.

Noted.

But tell me where on this order page it says Uplay.

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Watch-Dogs-Dedsec-Edition/21377170

MIGHTY778629
05-27-2014, 04:54 AM
Noted.

But tell me where on this order page it says Uplay.

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Watch-Dogs-Dedsec-Edition/21377170

It doesn't say "Steam" anywhere either, which means a smart consumer would have conducted a little research first if they cared about which DRM scheme the game used.

Rubble The Dj1
05-27-2014, 04:59 AM
pls... enough with all this crap this is forums, not cust services, they have a cust service channel use it. i did for ac3 and they were really helpful after enough "non budging on my stance" from me

SouthernPaw
05-27-2014, 09:04 AM
It doesn't say "Steam" anywhere either, which means a smart consumer would have conducted a little research first if they cared about which DRM scheme the game used.

I actually tried to do my research before I pre-ordered and no one would/could give me ANY straight answers about it. I pre ordered and hoped for the best.

Just because they are a game company does not mean that they don't have obligations to customers who have paid them for the game. I work in a coffee shop, if someone says they made the wrong order or it was taken wrongly, we happily re-make their coffee free of charge and do it with a smile.

I'm the customer, I'm asking if they would kindly provide me with a Steam key for something I've already paid for - it costs them absolutely nothing to produce a key remember! It doesn't actually matter if the other customers don't like what I get or how I go about it or not, the sale is between me and THEM not me, you and them meaning its none of your business.

I posted here hoping for a quick CS response, other companies have reps crawling the forums who do it, I figured it may be the same here - its not. I'll await my customer support reply in the mean-time. Hopefully I'll get some traction there and might get it worked out.

KITTvsKARR
05-27-2014, 12:33 PM

It doesn't say anything. That site is a very BAD site, it doesn't tell you anything about the DRM used in the game, it doesn't even tell you the requirements FOR the game! If people are buying from that site, they'd need to do a load of investigation in order to tell anything about the game apart from "what is in the box".

As it stands, all keys in the shops will redeem on uPlay. If you buy the game from a site that has it's own DRM system, the key will activate on that and then require uPlay as a secondary DRM. (Origin, Steam, etc) Keys bought off Origin/Steam cannot activate them on them as Steam do not have the keys in order to do so, it's also a slightly modified version of the game that comes on these systems so that it opens the "uPlay Lite" client to run the game.

At the end of the day, they don't actually WANT you to go to Steam as it is a rival shop that costs them 30% of any sales!

UplayIsVeryBad5
05-27-2014, 04:16 PM
At the end of the day, they don't actually WANT you to go to Steam as it is a rival shop that costs them 30% of any sales!

How is that the customer's problem? We don't give a **** about their sales.

Also, if Steam is a rival, then, Ubisoft, stop selling your games on it. Let's see what THAT does to your sales.