PDA

View Full Version : 3gb VRAM enough for ULTRA according to NVIDIA

Chris2014_R
05-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Who to trust? NVIDIA says it's enough, UBISOFT creative director says it isn't.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/watch-dogs-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide#disqus_thread

As you can see for 780ti's (top of the line cards which only have 3gb VRAM) it recommends everything on ultra bar TXAA, in SLI they recommend TXAA x 4 and as we all know SLI doesn't add up the VRAM (if you have 3gb on both cards you still have only 3gb at your disposal, not 6).

So this whole thing doesn't add up.

I'd like to hear from people who have the day 1 patch how the game is running for them now, especially after the new drivers. Andrew burns (NVIDIA) said there should be a day 1 patch (on NEOGAF) so do you guys have it yet?

Mr_Shade
05-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Thought the dev team confirmed you can use Ultra textures on the 3GB cards? - BUT - only at a max of 1080p with low level aa - which Nvidia also confirm?

I'm sorry but how is that confusing?

I would continue your posts - in your ongoing thread, since many are already checking it.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/881632-GTX-780-not-enough-to-run-this-game-on-ultra-Are-you-serious

Chris2014_R
05-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Thought the dev team confirmed you can use Ultra textures on the 3GB cards? - BUT - only at a max of 1080p with low level aa - which Nvidia also confirm?

I'm sorry but how is that confusing?

I would continue your posts - in your ongoing thread, since many are already checking it.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/881632-GTX-780-not-enough-to-run-this-game-on-ultra-Are-you-serious

Feel free to merge them if you want, and i'll explain how it's confusing.

First 780ti is top of the line card, fastest single GPU from NVIDIA. They only come with 3gb VRAM max. If the game still stutters after these drivers etc from not enough VRAM it means top of the line cards from NVIDIA can't play this game above 1080p with ultra textures. You don't see a problem with that?

And again for those who don't know SLI doesn't add up VRAM from both cards into a bigger pool, it's still going to be the equivalent of a single cards VRAM.

This isn't an FPS issue due to the cards being slow, but due to VRAM being improperly used. Or am i to expect a title on which NVIDIA worked closely with UBISOFT to run better maxed @ 1080p + on AMD cards?

I think i'm done on this forum anyway, sorry, i'll see how the things evolve in the next few days and decide on my purchase with new information. I hope to god ubi fixes this mess otherwise i don't see any 780/780ti users being happy with this, unless they game at 1080p.

Mr_Shade
05-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Nvida suggest people use 1080p in the guide - so I would go with their suggestion, for the meantime - since they will know the cards capability.

Unfortunately - if Nvidia suggest that setting for their 3GB cards, with the latest drivers, not much I can suggest.

I'm sure if there are any updates - which may improve perfomance then the team will announce them.

DagJacob
05-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Trust me :) I play this game on a laptop with 4GB VRAM on Ultra Settings with (HBAO+), VSync +1 Frame, and it's Ultra Textures with MMXXA 2x. 40+ frame rates. Good enough for me!

Memory_Kill
05-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Dag...are you having ANY of the performance issues talked about? If not, which setting are enabled in your game + have you done any config tweaks? We need to really find out what settings are nuking the performance, dod please share if you can by experimenting, if its AA or HBAO or Shadows or Textures, whatever we find to be the most taxing, we can work from there.

Mr_Shade
05-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Dag...are you having ANY of the performance issues talked about? If not, which setting are enabled in your game + have you done any config tweaks? We need to really find out what settings are nuking the performance, dod please share if you can by experimenting, if its AA or HBAO or Shadows or Textures, whatever we find to be the most taxing, we can work from there.

I think if you game at 1080p with the suggested settings - you will be fine ;)

Many people are happy with the performance - and those experiencing issues, seem to be using higher resolutions + Ultra textures + high levels of AA.

Of course - not all problems may be settings based, thought you should check them first ;)

Memory_Kill
05-26-2014, 05:03 PM
I have either a choice to stick with my none 1080 monitor, but greater fidelity, or go with my 1080p moniter, that has a higher refresh and go from there, it's tough, in current games there is no issue, even with my 3gb vram but optimized below 2gb vram heavily modded Skyrim, resolution difference isn't noticeable at all to the framerate really.

Release day will be painful for this forum lol, i hope to make a "resources" thread as the days go by as a collection of specs and configs for people to try and see where we get, i have faith we will crack the happy medium whilst keeping ultra, if not with lower AA, which I BENEFIT from so far.

Mr_Shade
05-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Resolution seems to be the key - 1080p seems the limit for 3GB card using Ultra textures.

If you drop the textures, you maybe able to go higher etc :)

While I know you are trying to help - making a thread of PC setups and what they 'should' get - might become heated - since not every PC runs the same, even with the same hardware.. so it maybe misleading to some.

However - good luck with it ;)

Memory_Kill
05-26-2014, 05:11 PM
It won't be a "should get" thread don't worry lol, it'll be a resources thread, for people to try and experiment with and hopefully narrow down on what is the big killer, so far it looks to be Textures and AA combined with Resolution like you said, this way, it can be used as a collective "this is mostly what people get the best results from" kinda thing, however, with no guarantees, as like it said, the community will need to help each other other in being specific and helpful to each other and not a c#ck slapping fest lol, so therefore plenty of experimentation is needed.

However the config file is very teasing...I have a feeling in a few weeks or maybe even days, we may we able trick the game to run higher with lesser intensity, only time will tell.

The resolution thing is very interesting...I wonder if the Skyrim trick could work with memory allocation and resolution scaling.

As WD is an X64 game, it gives us much more flexibility in graphical modding and experimentation, which hopefully, won't break online play, it shouldn't do as it didn't with BF3 or CSS or GTA4 and others back in the day, but yeah thanks :P, unless someone beats me too it ha.

niemtoor
05-26-2014, 06:16 PM
After playing the game for 3 days now with a variety of settings ranging from LOW to ULTRA, I can confirm that this is not the case.

I am using MSI Afterburner to monitor my usage and with everything ULTRA AND Textures at ULTRA without any antialiasing VRAM usage is hitting more than 3GB frequently! More than 3GB at 1080p without antialiasing. That's insane and no wonder the game stutters.

While with everything at ULTRA and Textures at HIGH with 4xMSAA, the game almost never hits 3GB usage.

I am playing with the newly released Geforce 337.88 WHQL driver and it didn't do anything to solve the stuttering.

Specs in sig.

KmarkoPL
05-26-2014, 07:18 PM
OK .
So what is it 3 GB VRAM or 4 GB VRAM?
Am about to buy new graphic card , and will be using Samsung TV 32" FULL HD
I want to get ASUS GTX 780 3GB VRAM
Will I be able to get all on ultra with that card in 1080p ? Or should I get ASUS GTX 770 4GB VRAM ?
Straight answer please .

Memory_Kill
05-26-2014, 08:29 PM
After playing the game for 3 days now with a variety of settings ranging from LOW to ULTRA, I can confirm that this is not the case.

I am using MSI Afterburner to monitor my usage and with everything ULTRA AND Textures at ULTRA without any antialiasing VRAM usage is hitting more than 3GB frequently! More than 3GB at 1080p without antialiasing. That's insane and no wonder the game stutters.

While with everything at ULTRA and Textures at HIGH with 4xMSAA, the game almost never hits 3GB usage.

I am playing with the newly released Geforce 337.88 WHQL driver and it didn't do anything to solve the stuttering.

Specs in sig.

Ummm...No idea.

My only bet would be the PSU us a bit low on power for 750W and the mobo aint the most solid, but i doubt lack of power would drain that much performance, not unless it was really low quality on the scale.

niemtoor
05-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Ummm...No idea.

My only bet would be the PSU us a bit low on power for 750W and the mobo aint the most solid, but i doubt lack of power would drain that much performance, not unless it was really low quality on the scale.

Thyere is nothing wrong with my motherboard and PSU. I can play Crysis 3 at highest settings, modded Crysis 1, Crysis 2, Witcher 2, you name it, it's fully optimised. I have had a legitimate Watch Dogs copy for 3 days now and like many others who have tested various setting combinations have pretty much confirmed that there is an issue with the game when Textures are set at Ultra. Even people with 4GB VRAM and using SSDs are having stuttering issues. This needs to be addressed by Ubisoft. The requirements for Ultra with Ultra textures at 1080p cannot be more than 3GB VRAM that is impossible. If I was running the game at a higher resolution then I would understand.

When I run everything at Ultra except Textures at High, I can enable 4xMSAA and get 0 STUTTER!

I monitor usage in all my games and Watch Dogs is the only game where I have seen GPU usage hit this much so I don't think the problem is with hardware. Even OC Guru posted an article on that and they were puzzled at the performance hit when enabling Ultra Textures.

Rubble The Dj1
05-26-2014, 10:51 PM
yet theres a guy posting videos with good frame rates and no visible stutter using a laptop lol i see a storm a brewing

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/881303-Ultra-Settings-(HBAO-)-The-Night-Is-Beautiful!-Thank-you-Ubisoft! <<<<edit: guy i mentioned