PDA

View Full Version : GTX 780 not enough to run this game on ultra? Are you serious?

Chris2014_R
05-26-2014, 12:23 PM
https://twitter.com/Design_Cave/status/470731369455185920

A 3GB card is ok on Ultra. But pushing past 1080p or activating any MSAA/TXAA you can go over. You need 4 for that.

So an NVIDIA title, with most of their flagship cards having 3gb vram, people obviously playing at 1440p (most enthusiasts at least), and we can't even max this out?

I'm confused as to how anyone thinks this is ok.

Keyixa
05-26-2014, 12:25 PM
No one thinks this is ok, game is unoptimized, wait for patches and drivers. Got it? Then shut up, we don't need 20012341 threads like this.

Chris2014_R
05-26-2014, 12:31 PM
No one thinks this is ok, game is unoptimized, wait for patches and drivers. Got it? Then shut up, we don't need 20012341 threads like this.

How about no? Do you see any mention of a future patch or drivers that are going to "fix this"?

He simply states something which pretty much can be summed as "deal with it".

Got it?

BlastThyName
05-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Is that supposed to be a problem ? It's great to see demanding games for once, PC games have been way to lenient in recent years.

Finally the arm race is about to come back. Hopefully developpers go insane with the ultra requirements for Assassin's Creed Unity and The Division.

Dellers
05-26-2014, 12:40 PM
nVidia simply put too little RAM in their cards. 780 SLI would be perfect for 1440p if it wasn't for the lack of memory, but 3 GB isn't all that much.

Chris2014_R
05-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Is that supposed to be a problem ? It's great to see demanding games for once, PC games have been way to lenient in recent years.

Finally the arm race is about to come back. Hopefully developpers go insane with the ultra requirements for Assassin's Creed Unity and The Division.

Is this supposed to be a joke? Textures =! demanding games. The engine simply isn't optimized to actually move textures in and out in time, it simply fills the VRAM up even with unnecessary ones til it reaches the limit then it suddenly stops to think.. oh .. i'm full gee.. gonna cough a bit of textures out from like 5 mins ago in the other part of town and free some space. (proof: even on titans with 6gb it fills up in time even if the textures are on high - neogaf)

I can mod skyrim with insane textures/ENB and make it look like cgi.

Crysis 3 maxed out same thing.

You think watch dogs is so much better than the games mentioned before visually? If yes, you don't know what you're talking about.

The irony is this is an NVIDIA title, yet their flagship cards (with 3gb) apparently can't max this game out. Talk about .. making no sense whatsoever. It basically encourages people to buy AMD cards instead. Clearly what NVIDIA had in mind when working with Ubisoft ... not.

fishers1989
05-26-2014, 12:52 PM
I have to agree, just because the requirements are high doesn't mean they're utilising it effectively. The textures on ultra are great but no better than MaLDoHD which doesn't require anything close to 3GB.

BlastThyName
05-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Is this supposed to be a joke? Textures =! demanding games. The engine simply isn't optimized to actually move textures in and out in time, it simply fills the VRAM up even with unnecessary ones til it reaches the limit then it suddenly stops to think.. oh .. i'm full gee.. gonna cough a bit of textures out from like 5 mins ago in the other part of town and free some space. (proof: even on titans with 6gb it fills up in time even if the textures are on high - neogaf)

I can mod skyrim with insane textures/ENB and make it look like cgi.

Crysis 3 maxed out same thing.

You think watch dogs is so much better than the games mentioned before visually? If yes, you don't know what you're talking about.

The irony is this is an NVIDIA title, yet their flagship cards (with 3gb) apparently can't max this game out. Talk about .. making no sense whatsoever. It basically encourages people to buy AMD cards instead. Clearly what NVIDIA had in mind when working with Ubisoft ... not.
I don't think the game is totally unoptimized from the reports I'm seeing. It just loves VRAM and that's great.

I hope you guys realize that Watch Dogs is not going to be an exception....Expect every demanding release to rip your machine apart if you chase maximum settings.
How it should be in my opinion. I can't wait until games require 6GB+ for ultra settings, I bet Nvidia and AMD are waiting for that too. :)

All this "bu bu but watch dogs is unoptimized " is very amusing I have to say, PC gaming used to be like that back then when ANY high-profile games needed top end hardware to shine and I very much yearn for this time to come back.
Hopefully Watch Dogs starts a trend.

I can't wait until The Division's specs are announced, this is going to be a bloodbath of Bliblical proportions for those who completely overestimated what their PC was capable of.
"Master race" hehe.

Chris2014_R
05-26-2014, 01:19 PM
I don't think the game is totally unoptimized from the reports I'm seeing. It just loves VRAM and that's great.

I hope you guys realize that Watch Dogs is not going to be an exception....Expect every demanding release to rip your machine apart if you chase maximum settings.
How it should be in my opinion. I can't wait until games require 6GB+ for ultra settings, I bet Nvidia and AMD are waiting for that too. :)

All this "bu bu but watch dogs is unoptimized " is very amusing I have to say, PC gaming used to be like that back then when ANY high-profile games needed top end hardware to shine and I very much yearn for this time to come back.
Hopefully Watch Dogs starts a trend.

I can't wait until The Division's specs are announced, this is going to be a bloodbath of Bliblical proportions for those who completely overestimated what their PC was capable of.
"Master race" hehe.

You have no understanding of what makes a game look good and what VRAM is actually used on.

"hehe"

Like i said before, i'm sure NVIDIA will be glad that Ubisoft's game is making people buy AMD cards instead. I bet they're all like "hehe" too.

jeffies04
05-26-2014, 01:22 PM
I see a lot of people are still thinking of their gaming rigs as some do their casual use machines... that you can sit on them for years without changing the hardware and everything is going to be OK. If you're not upgrading your hardware regularly (exactly how often depends on the experience you chase) then the requirements are going to start getting away from you. We've all been there and it's frustrating.

In my opinion games have been under-utilizing VRAM for a while. It wasn't long ago someone told me, "oh gosh 3GB is more than enough no game is going to touch that," and in the back of my mind I saw the day coming sooner rather than later. That day is here!

PS -- Chasing that perfect rig for the ultimate PC experience is like having a classic car in your garage that you keep pouring money and time into to make look beautiful and run perfect and that your wife/significant other hates because you spend more money on it than her... only difference is IT'S NEVER COMPLETE!

PPS -- I challenge anyone who claims the game is poorly optimized to also post their specs AND next to that post what Ubisoft stated the requirements were. Then we'll debate it.

BlastThyName
05-26-2014, 01:24 PM
You have no understanding of what makes a game look good and what VRAM is actually used on.

"hehe"

Like i said before, i'm sure NVIDIA will be glad that Ubisoft's game is making people buy AMD cards instead. I bet they're all like "hehe" too.

Nope, that means they will release Maxwell with 4gb of VRAM on the 860/870 series and good bandwith to go with that.
No worries to have the PC market will adapt just fine, but as I've said I hope next-gen games will have bonkers VRAM requirements for very high quality textures (4K/8K).

Exciting times ahead for PC gaming except for those who believe that maxing out games on a regular basis is "okay". It isn't, max settings should only be for enthusiasts, year after year.

In my opinion games have been under-utilizing VRAM for a while. It wasn't long ago someone told me, "oh gosh 3GB is more than enough no game is going to touch that," and in the back of my mind I saw the day coming sooner rather than later. That day is here!
Exactly, and I only have 2GB of VRAM myself but I knew very well what that would mean later down the line.
I'm 100% ready to upgrade to a 4-6gb GPU once they are within my financial reach.

Upgrading your PC isn't supposed to be something you dread to do, if that's the case then stay on consoles where you will never have to worry about those things but choices will be made for you.

Mr_Shade
05-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Guys…

Lets stop the fighting please.

The game - is NOT - officially released yet - there maybe performance patches released and at the VERY least - new drivers..

Everyone should have known the game was demanding - due to the released recommended specs - and not every game uses the same engine, so you can't compare - with this being new, performance maybe demanding..

Lets calm down and see what the performance is like - once the game is released and running on the new drivers..

luciusnetheril
05-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Uh! Uh! I have a great idea! Let's all put our hands together and pray real hard! Ubisoft will, definitely, release a magic patch to fix all the problems, improve optimization and add SLI/Crossfire support! It's what they did to all of their previous games, like Farcry 3 Multiplayer or Assassin's Creed 4!

And no, that's totally not me, being a fanboy, living in Fairy Land! I'm totally serious, no really...

Mr_Shade
05-26-2014, 01:30 PM
SLI support is already in the Nvidia drivers.. and improved [apparently] in the ones to be released.

PC's are not cookie cutter consoles - while Ubisoft tries to make sure performance is great across the board, some users have much different performance from another - even with the same hardware.

There maybe some issues - however both patches and driver updates - can improve / fix these.

Many already with the game, say it runs great, so who to believe..

End of the day, one persons expectations - may differ from the next.

Chris2014_R
05-26-2014, 01:33 PM
SLI support is already in the Nvidia drivers.. and improved [apparently] in the ones to be released.

PC's are not cookie cutter consoles - while Ubisoft tries to make sure performance is great across the board, some users have much different performance from another - even with the same hardware.

There maybe some issues - however both patches and driver updates - can improve / fix these.

Many already with the game, say it runs great, so who to believe..

End of the day, one persons expectations - may differ from the next.

I really do hope it's the pirates that are having issues with performance and the game is actually fine or will get fixed in a day 1 patch.

I see a lot of people are still thinking of their gaming rigs as some do their casual use machines... that you can sit on them for years without changing the hardware and everything is going to be OK. If you're not upgrading your hardware regularly (exactly how often depends on the experience you chase) then the requirements are going to start getting away from you. We've all been there and it's frustrating.

PS -- Chasing that perfect rig for the ultimate PC experience is like having a classic car in your garage that you keep pouring money and time into to make look beautiful and run perfect and that your wife/significant other hates because you spend more money on it than her... only difference is IT'S NEVER COMPLETE!

PPS -- I challenge anyone who claims the game is poorly optimized to also post their specs AND next to that post what Ubisoft stated the requirements were. Then we'll debate it.

Yeah, gtx 780/ti totally is casual hardware, not top-end. What was i thinking?

Nope, that means they will release Maxwell with 4gb of VRAM on the 860/870 series and good bandwith to go with that.
No worries to have the PC market will adapt just fine, but as I've said I hope next-gen games will have bonkers VRAM requirements for very high quality textures (4K/8K).

Exciting times ahead for PC gaming except for those who believe that maxing out games on a regular basis is "okay". It isn't, max settings should only be for enthusiasts, year after year.

Exactly, and I only have 2GB of VRAM myself but I knew very well what that would mean later down the line.
I'm 100% ready to upgrade to a 4-6gb GPU once they are within my financial reach.

Upgrading your PC isn't supposed to be something you dread to do, if that's the case then stay on consoles where you will never have to worry about those things but choices will be made for you.

Oh my bad, should have bought a 770 with 4gb instead of going for their HIGH-END CARD.

jeffies04
05-26-2014, 01:37 PM

This is good news and the truth.

I luckily went with 3... but I too plan on setting my sights higher next round.

And I LOVE when it's time for an upgrade! I don't lament it, I get excited. It's like Christmas!

I really do hope it's the pirates that are having issues with performance and the game is actually fine or will get fixed in a day 1 patch.

Yeah, gtx 780/ti totally is casual hardware, not top-end. What was i thinking?

Don't worry I wasn't referencing you. Sorry if you thought that. It is an excellent card.

And I think your point about the pirates performance is definitely a possibility.

Mr_Shade
05-26-2014, 01:41 PM

Well to be honest - and no insult to anyone intended -

A lot of the main stream PC gamers - don't know really know how to cope with some things - some have already posted issues - solved by really basic things - like updating drivers..

Or - they force 8xAA in the driver panel and expect every game to perform the same.. Half Life 2 gets 60 fps - why can't BF4 etc

So, it's sometimes tricky to troubleshoot - since we can't always tell what settings they have forced or even if their HDD is fragmented to hell..

I'm a PC gamer myself, though with an older rig - and I know the importance of having game settings balanced against the hardware.

Lets not start going down the pirate road - I have heard that those who downloaded the torrents - a few got a little 'extra' additional software though.. but that's what you get for illegal downloads - so wouldn't suggest even thinking about it ;) [lol]

Shigeruken
05-26-2014, 01:42 PM
It may be true that the game is horribly optimized, but high and medium settings still look great at 1080p judging by the comparison videos I've seen.
Hopefully it's possible to disable depth of field and motion blur, those are huge resource hogs and are in my opinion completely unnecessary.

luciusnetheril
05-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Then why, oh why does SLI crashes the game?! As usual with Ubi games, it wasn't not NVidia that dropped the ball.

You know, it's funny, really. Back when FC3 came out and both players and NVidia were waiting for Ubi to get their stuff together in order to fix SLI crashes. Needless to say we're still waiting. For TWO YEARS already? And now I see the same issues in support forums, with the same "solutions" being suggested by Ubi staff and the same actual solution-disabling SLI/Crossfire...Magic patch?! Yeah, right! LOL

I'm just happy I'm not all that much interested in Watch Dogs, unlike most of...hardcore fans here, who are on the trip to...Pleasantgameplay-ville, and who are only settign themselves up for a disappointment.

BlastThyName
05-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Oh my bad, should have bought a 770 with 4gb instead of going for their HIGH-END CARD.
Indeed. Anyone remotely accustomed to PC gaming should have known that 2GB wouldn't cut it for max settings very shortly.

I guess you didn't pay enough attention but don't worry you are not the only one.

jeffies04
05-26-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm a PC gamer myself, though with an older rig - and I know the importance of having game settings balanced against the hardware.

It takes some patience for sure. The settings behind the settings.

I also think there are a few terms that people have become way too dependent on. "Optimization" definitely being one of them. To really judge a game's PC optimization you really need to look under the hood at what they did to optimize it, what walls they were up against, etc, not just at how it's running on a small sampling of machines.

Lets not start going down the pirate road - I have heard that those who downloaded the torrents - a few got a little 'extra' additional software though.. but that's what you get for illegal downloads - so wouldn't suggest even thinking about it ;) [lol]

I honestly have no sympathy. In my opinion, if you have any respect for your machine, you wouldn't download anything in a torrent. If I find a suspicious box ticking on the subway, the last thing I'm going to do is pick it up and take it home with me.

Keyixa
05-26-2014, 02:08 PM
How about no? Do you see any mention of a future patch or drivers that are going to "fix this"?

He simply states something which pretty much can be summed as "deal with it".

Got it?

How about you stop being an ***? Ubisoft always patched games in the past if they really needed it. Blacklist got 3 patches for performance and such, Far Cry 3 got like 5 patches as well... seriously, stop being an ***, you can complain all you want but this is just that, complaining and nothing more. They already are aware of these issues and will adress them ASAP. There's also going to be drivers coming out from Nvidia/AMD for it as well. The game isn't even out officially until tomorrow so calm your titz.

Mr_Shade
05-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Nvidia have release both new drivers and an tweaking guide for the game.

I suggest everyone with a nvidia card checks them out.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/881661-Driver-337-88-WHQL-are-out-!!!-)

luciusnetheril
05-26-2014, 03:39 PM
How about you stop being an ***? Ubisoft always patched games in the past if they really needed it. Blacklist got 3 patches for performance and such, Far Cry 3 got like 5 patches as well... seriously, stop being an ***, you can complain all you want but this is just that, complaining and nothing more. They already are aware of these issues and will adress them ASAP. There's also going to be drivers coming out from Nvidia/AMD for it as well. The game isn't even out officially until tomorrow so calm your titz.

ORLY?!

Did any of those five patches fixed SLI crashes for Farcry3? Yeah, thought so. So how about you stop BSing here and sit quietly, waiting for yuor magic patch? The one that Ubi is always delivering, in utter secrecy, from all the players?

Mr_Shade
05-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Guys,

If you can't post without resorting to insults, the thread will be locked.

Watch_Dogs - uses a new engine, so until we have all of the fixes in place, I wouldn't try and guess what can and can't be fixed.

Nvidia have new drivers out today, so I suggest those with the game - try them.

Gwektro
05-26-2014, 11:06 PM
[edit]

utack
05-26-2014, 11:21 PM
It's their own engine.
So don't expect any miracles to happen, performance will always be poor.

popstarstudios
05-26-2014, 11:46 PM

Utter nonsense, have you any idea how unplayable future soldier was and how upset the pc community got with Ubisoft over it? People get annoyed because Ubi doesn't concentrate it's talents on pc, then console, it's console, then pc, and that's what Watchdogs is, a stuttery mess albeit amazing game underneath the console port. Ubisoft built its company on pc and this just proves pc is left to hang in the wind, we are not a priority, we come thirds after ps and xbox. It's sad because the graphics are okay and in no way warrant such uber machines like sli titans. Who are you kidding, if it looked like rage or crysis I would get the requirements but it doesn't, it looks basic enough, the lighting is terrible too.

The gameplay is awesome though and it's brilliant when your not driving around the city lagging all over the place..

So cut the nonsense, it's not out yet blah blah, and just accept we're not a priority and after all this time we may sit and wait for each patch that incrementally changes the fps up a tiny bit, if we're lucky.

King fiShiZ
05-27-2014, 12:29 AM
You need this System, if you wanto to play Ultra @ 1080 w/ 60fps: i7-2600K, GeForce GTX TITAN SLI - HAVE FUN (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/watch-dogs-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide)