PDA

View Full Version : How many of you want a new third person present day character?

ALTAIR-KRATOS2
05-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Hi guys: I post this thread to ask you how many of you want a new third person present day playable character, with cool parkour animations, awesome personal story, playing with new assassins technology like modern hidden blades visiting new places... with a place to train, climb, fight, run and things like that. I don't like the idea of being "myself" with a tablet and without a story doing nothing( That's my opinion, i think AC4 is a great game, just in the past, though is a pirate game not an AC game) I don't want that. And imagine what Ubisoft can do with Next Gen... Well, vote and comment. Thanks guys. :)

Locopells
05-20-2014, 10:40 AM
I sorta liked what they did in ACIV, but it would've been cooler to sneak around at night, Splinter Cell style. So yeah, I'd go for it.

Farlander1991
05-20-2014, 10:56 AM
I really don't like the specific connotations put in the options. I.e. 'yes' strictly because 'I don't like playing as a nobody' (what if I would like a third person character but I DO like playing as a nobody as well?) and 'no' because 'I don't like modern day'. It simply should be 'yes' or 'no' (or 'doesn't matter') with all the specifics in the comments based on the voter.

I personally don't want a new third person present day character, but this is related to AC production realities (and specifically current production realities) rather than not liking modern day.

YazX_
05-20-2014, 11:08 AM
personally, i found ACR had the best mixture then AC3 comes in second, as said AC4 is gr8, but modern day was Ummmmmm, not as good as previous titles, anyway, i hope in AC Unity we will get to play and know the character pretty well.

ALTAIR-KRATOS2
05-20-2014, 11:21 AM
personally, i found ACR had the best mixture then AC3 comes in second, as said AC4 is gr8, but modern day was Ummmmmm, not as good as previous titles, anyway, i hope in AC Unity we will get to play and know the character pretty well. Yeah, i Hope in Unity we will have a new character in the modern day. :)

Farlander1991
05-20-2014, 11:23 AM
i don't want to insult or underestimate nobody, excuse if you understood that, i can't change it now, but believe me that was not my intention.

Oh, no, please don't take me wrong, I don't take it as an insult, I just think that it would benefit the poll to be less specific. Like, I have to vote 'another option' even though my answer's 'no', but I can't vote 'no' because it says I don't like modern day, which is untrue.

ALTAIR-KRATOS2
05-20-2014, 11:23 AM
I really don't like the specific connotations put in the options. I.e. 'yes' strictly because 'I don't like playing as a nobody' (what if I would like a third person character but I DO like playing as a nobody as well?) and 'no' because 'I don't like modern day'. It simply should be 'yes' or 'no' (or 'doesn't matter') with all the specifics in the comments based on the voter.

I personally don't want a new third person present day character, but this is related to AC production realities (and specifically current production realities) rather than not liking modern day.
Well, yeah, maybe i've used the wrong words, but i don't want to insult or underestimate nobody, excuse if you understood that, i can't change it now, but believe me that was not my intention. I'm really sorry :( I've used five options cause the fifth is to comment what you want if the other options were not your opinion. I post this thread because i want the developers to know how many of us want something different from AC4 present day, or the same from AC4 present day.

Farlander1991
05-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Why does my reply to your post appear before your post? O_o

ALTAIR-KRATOS2
05-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Oh, no, please don't take me wrong, I don't take it as an insult, I just think that it would benefit the poll to be less specific. Like, I have to vote 'another option' even though my answer's 'no', but I can't vote 'no' because it says I don't like modern day, which is untrue.
Haha, well we're all friends here and i enjoy write and comment to know the opinions different from mine you know. I love Modern day the same as the past so i want something revolutionary, third person... Thanks for answering bro. :) Oh, and excuse me with the posts, i write one, then i deleted, then i write it again...haha

Locopells
05-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Why does my reply to your post appear before your post? O_o

He deleted it, then reposted so as to quote yours.

Just so you know for the future, ALTAIR-KRATOS2, there is a 'Edit Post' function.

SixKeys
05-20-2014, 11:32 AM
I guess "I don't mind" is closest to my feelings on the subject. I simply recognize the reality, which is that the yearly release schedule is currently making it impossible for the devs to put equal amount of time and effort into both the modern day and historical storylines. We can only have one or the other. The modern day is simply not popular outside of these forums, that's a reality we have to accept. I would have loved for them to have given Desmond's story proper closure with all the plot threads resolved, but that dream was shattered and I don't believe they have any intention of delivering another epic modern day story any time soon.

So would I mind it? No. Do I expect it to happen? Absolutely not.

ALTAIR-KRATOS2
05-20-2014, 11:32 AM
He deleted it, then reposted so as to quote yours.

Just so you know for the future, ALTAIR-KRATOS2, there is a 'Edit Post' function.

Thank you Sir, i realised later. haha :)

Locopells
05-20-2014, 11:33 AM
No probs!

Sushiglutton
05-20-2014, 11:37 AM
I dunno, I go a bit back on forth on this. My typcial response is that I'm tired of MD and just think they should ditch it. On the other hand I enjoyed it in AC1-AC:B. I'm no fan of the Juno-direction the story has taken. She looks ridiculous in that outfit and the entire "taking over the world"-thing is kind of meh. I wish they would have kept modern day more down to earth-ish.

As for your suggestions I think it's problematic to have an action focused MD as it will always feel like a gimped version of the historical part. I think it's much better when the modern day is more story focused. I liked in Brotherhood when you visited some of the landmarks in modern day. I think that kind of "Da Vinci code" stuff could work well. Infiltrating skyscrapers, fighting etc I'm sceptic about. When it comes to third or first person I 100% prefer to play as an actual character in third-person. The one thing I liked about AC4 MD is that it was so unintrusive (I didn't do anything beside what was required to progreess). But if MD wants to become interesting again it needs to have a proper story.

Farlander1991
05-20-2014, 11:43 AM
I simply recognize the reality, which is that the yearly release schedule is currently making it impossible for the devs to put equal amount of time and effort into both the modern day and historical storylines.

I would say that's only partially a reason. Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 weren't yearly releases, and yet Assassin's Creed 1 modern day was just world-development in a single confined place, Assassin's Creed 2 were three VERY LITTLE playable sections (one of which happened in a location with assets based on AC1, and the other in a non-descript warehouse). In fact, we have the biggest modern day sections in the yearly releases. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood has modern day storyline more extensive than AC1 or AC2 (though that's related to a big reuse of historical part assets), Assassin's Creed Revelations has got THE most character development for Desmond (alongside AC4, both of which happen as voice overs... even though ACR first person gameplay wasn't the best) - more than in any of the previous games (Desmond's character was for the most part pretty static), and Assassin's Creed 3 has got a hub + three totally new levels/locations (and even though one happens in an old location, due to new engine all assets are new).

Modern day will ALWAYS be on the lower priority (though, I think AC4 modern day as a whole has accomplished a lot and is a good way to go about it). The problem is not 'yearly release' per se, the problem is coherency. Desmond's Saga lacked that - one reason was because the whole debacle started in the middle of it, so even if the outline remained the same a whole lot of things have changed (and one of the games was made in 11 month, right in the middle of AC3 production), the other is because when you deal with a third person character you really need to approach the narrative in a different way than from first person, something that AC really could never afford to do that much. I mean, the most biggest modern day that we have is three levels - 30 minutes of content. And that's with 3 years in production.

Locopells
05-20-2014, 12:40 PM
I should add that while I like the idea of the SC stuff for modern day, I also really like visiting locations from the historical parts of the game - Coliseum and Monteriggioni, in ACB are a case in point.

Markaccus
05-20-2014, 12:59 PM
ANOTHER OPTION......

Basically, any type of 3rd person character would be better than "GENERIC SMART-PAD WIELDING, FROGGER PLAYING, BALL SPINNING, MATHS DOING 1ST PERSON HACKER MAN"

SixKeys
05-20-2014, 01:14 PM
I would say that's only partially a reason. Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 weren't yearly releases, and yet Assassin's Creed 1 modern day was just world-development in a single confined place, Assassin's Creed 2 were three VERY LITTLE playable sections (one of which happened in a location with assets based on AC1, and the other in a non-descript warehouse). In fact, we have the biggest modern day sections in the yearly releases. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood has modern day storyline more extensive than AC1 or AC2 (though that's related to a big reuse of historical part assets), Assassin's Creed Revelations has got THE most character development for Desmond (alongside AC4, both of which happen as voice overs... even though ACR first person gameplay wasn't the best) - more than in any of the previous games (Desmond's character was for the most part pretty static), and Assassin's Creed 3 has got a hub + three totally new levels/locations (and even though one happens in an old location, due to new engine all assets are new).

AC2 didn't really need longer sections, though. If AC started out as a trilogy, we can assume the modern day section in AC1 was about establishing our main characters and what they had to do. AC2 told us that Desmond was training his assassin abilities through the Animus. No more exposition necessary. The third game would have shown Desmond as a fully initiated assassin who would stop Vidic, save the world and most likely get the girl. ACB complicated things and was the first of the yearly releases. It had to justify its existence with modern day fluff that unnecessarily dragged out the overarching plot, with Lucy getting killed and Juno being introduced. ACR basically told us nothing we didn't already know. AC3 followed through with the original goal of having Desmond save the world, but many subplot threads had been introduced in the meantime that were simply ignored and never resolved.

I do believe AC2's modern day sections were deliberately short, but I also think they did everything they needed to. Desmond was training to be an assassin, that's all we needed to know. Everyone believed that the next game would have longer, more meaty modern day sections with Desmond as the ultimate assassin. The yearly releases are what dragged the story down. They all had to justify their existence with meaningless cliffhangers, to the detriment of the main story.

Farlander1991
05-20-2014, 01:47 PM
AC2 told us that Desmond was training his assassin abilities through the Animus. No more exposition necessary.

On its own - yes, as part of a trilogy - no. I'll write my points later in a more constructive and detailed way, but in short AC2 is a pretty crappy second part of a trilogy (btw, curious side note, Mass Effect 2 released at approx. the same time was also a ****ty part of a trilogy, even though it was good on its own), having not progressed a lot of things that mattered/would matter in a trilogy to construct a good coherent story (though, without an AC3 bogged down by ACB/ACR existence, it's hard to talk about this from a non-theoretical standpoint, and the problems brought by AC2 wouldn't have mattered if AC3 were a modern-day focused game, but a modern-day AC3 was never a confirmed plan, just one of the ideas).

The yearly releases are what dragged the story down. They all had to justify their existence with meaningless cliffhangers, to the detriment of the main story.

That's the problem of coherent storytelling (which I didn't argue was a problem). I was talking about the amount of content/effort put into modern day in relation to time developed and historical content (which I feel is fairly large in the yearly releases, and bigger than in non-yearly releases if we're to equalize the time-developed/historical content part with md ratio, while your post states, at least as far as I understand, that it's the opposite).

AherasSTRG
05-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Whatever Darby wants...

SixKeys
05-20-2014, 02:10 PM
On its own - yes, as part of a trilogy - no. I'll write my points later in a more constructive and detailed way, but in short AC2 is a pretty crappy second part of a trilogy (btw, curious side note, Mass Effect 2 released at approx. the same time was also a ****ty part of a trilogy, even though it was good on its own), having not progressed a lot of things that mattered/would matter in a trilogy to construct a good coherent story (though, without an AC3 bogged down by ACB/ACR existence, it's hard to talk about this from a non-theoretical standpoint, and the problems brought by AC2 wouldn't have mattered if AC3 were a modern-day focused game, but a modern-day AC3 was never a confirmed plan, just one of the ideas).

AC2 being a good or a bad part of a trilogy is a separate issue, and I'm sure you could make good arguments for it. It doesn't change what I said, though. Modern day was probably cut down for a reason - that reason being its unpopularity in AC1 - and I don't think AC3 would have necessarily been all modern day. What I do believe is that AC3 was originally even more ambitious than the game we ultimately got, and would have featured maybe 50-50 per cent (or 40-60) of modern day and historical sections. The modern day was quite simple at its core until they threw in the whole Lucy-being-a-spy thing. I believe we would have gotten basically an expanded version of the modern day section we got in AC3, with Lucy in tow, and a more epic confrontation between Desmond and Vidic. William probably wasn't part of the original plan at all, neither was Daniel Cross, and Subject 16 would have remained a mysterious, nameless character in AC2's glyphs. Erudito could have been saved for future games. We could still have had Desmond sacrificing himself for the greater good, just without Juno complicating things. I believe they could have easily pulled it off and it would have been more satisfying than what we got. AC3's modern day story wasn't wholly botched up. Its failings came mainly from having too many characters without a clear purpose or a proper send-off. Without the subplots given to us by the yearly releases between AC2 and AC3, I believe the overall narrative could have been perfectly satisfying.

Farlander1991
05-20-2014, 02:25 PM
The modern day was quite simple at its core until they threw in the whole Lucy-being-a-spy thing.

Eh, no, the simplicity was thrown out of the window earlier than that - when they introduced a second main plot-line in the form of the solar flare (though IIRC they said they started planning Lucy being a spy during AC2 development, but the set-up is barely noticeable then, so don't think that counts as when they threw it in). The way AC1 and AC2 have set-up things, AC3, for a satisfyingly constructed and implemented conclusion, would have us prevent Abstergo from getting the Pieces of Eden from AC1's map and launching the satellite, while ALSO searching for the right vault based on the AC2 map to gain knowledge on how to prevent the solar flare. Or in some other forms, but the point is - active involvement in both (so when we search for the Great Temple we'd know how it relates to the satellite/PoE plot, and vice versa).

Any other way one of the plot-lines gets pushed to the sidelines (and, well, it still has - the satellite plotline for the most part became irrelevant). And while there are ways to cleverly combine the two (i.e. the satellite with a piece of eden is required to protect the Earth from the solar flare, how to get to that point is a lot trickier though, but it's still possible to combine them in a way to progress both, given enough space and time), I doubt AC3 would have handled it well - chances are historical part would still get higher priority than modern day one.

Best case scenario for a coherent trilogy story would be if there was only one main plotline - that being the satellite one, introduced in the first game. The whole solar flare/Juno plan could just be set up (like with blood messages of Subject 16), but not actively pursued until the original trilogy ended.

EDIT: If we're to have both, then AC2 should've progressed the satellite plotline ('training Desmond to become an assassin' is not a plotline - it happens pretty much regardless of what happens due to the Bleeding Effect, after all animus would still be prevalent) more, so AC3 could focus more on the solar flare/Temple plotline (but without absolutely forgetting the satellite like it's not even there), connecting the dots at the end whichever way they wanted and neatly resolving both, without having to worry about extensively progressing both satellite AND solar flare plots in one game. But even then, presence of two main storylines still complicates things.

GunnerGalactico
05-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Would be interesting if we did play as a new third person modern day character.

SixKeys
05-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Eh, no, the simplicity was thrown out of the window earlier than that - when they introduced a second main plot-line in the form of the solar flare (though IIRC they said they started planning Lucy being a spy during AC2 development, but the set-up is barely noticeable then, so don't think that counts as when they threw it in). The way AC1 and AC2 have set-up things, AC3, for a satisfyingly constructed and implemented conclusion, would have us prevent Abstergo from getting the Pieces of Eden from AC1's map and launching the satellite, while ALSO searching for the right vault based on the AC2 map to gain knowledge on how to prevent the solar flare. Or in some other forms, but the point is - active involvement in both (so when we search for the Great Temple we'd know how it relates to the satellite/PoE plot, and vice versa).

Any other way one of the plot-lines gets pushed to the sidelines (and, well, it still has - the satellite plotline for the most part became irrelevant). And while there are ways to cleverly combine the two (i.e. the satellite with a piece of eden is required to protect the Earth from the solar flare, how to get to that point is a lot trickier though, but it's still possible to combine them in a way to progress both, given enough space and time), I doubt AC3 would have handled it well - chances are historical part would still get higher priority than modern day one.

Best case scenario for a coherent trilogy story would be if there was only one main plotline - that being the satellite one, introduced in the first game. The whole solar flare/Juno plan could just be set up (like with blood messages of Subject 16), but not actively pursued until the original trilogy ended.

Agreed 100%. The solar flare plot was unnecessary. I would have preferred them to stay on the satellite launch. That seemed like the most relevant goal in terms of Vidic and Desmond's relationship and the ultimate conclusion of that. Vidic represented all Templars in a way, and the satellite launch was the culmination of their evil plans. The solar flare created an external threat and took the focus away from the simple premise, which was assassins vs. Templars (Desmond vs. Vidic).

Farlander1991
05-20-2014, 02:51 PM
I would have preferred them to stay on the satellite launch. That seemed like the most relevant goal in terms of Vidic and Desmond's relationship and the ultimate conclusion of that. Vidic represented all Templars in a way, and the satellite launch was the culmination of their evil plans.

When I saw the Satellite launch date and realized what the Apple can do, I remember thinking that it was a very clever play on the 'prophesied end of the world' angle. And then they pulled a 180 and played the angle straight, which was somewhat disappointing.

The solar flare created an external threat and took the focus away from the simple premise, which was assassins vs. Templars (Desmond vs. Vidic).

The whole solar flare/Juno thing is a nice set-up for exploring an Assassins + Templars vs. a threat, which would be a nice continuation after exploring the main Assassins vs. Templars plot. Different narrative angles, subversion of knowledge/expectations and all that.

EDIT: Also, a thought came to my mind: should there have been an ACTUAL solar flare? I see a lot of potential in the narrative implications of manufacturing the whole 'prediction' thing into a manipulation to get back into the world. When it comes to 'solar flare/saving the world' thing, I really like ways to subvert that angle. AC likes doing narrative subversions in their historical parts. Not so much in modern day ones, so far.

dxsxhxcx
05-20-2014, 03:02 PM

EDIT: If we're to have both, then AC2 should've progressed the satellite plotline ('training Desmond to become an assassin' is not a plotline - it happens pretty much regardless of what happens due to the Bleeding Effect, after all animus would still be prevalent) more, so AC3 could focus more on the solar flare/Temple plotline (but without absolutely forgetting the satellite like it's not even there), connecting the dots at the end whichever way they wanted and neatly resolving both, without having to worry about extensively progressing both satellite AND solar flare plots in one game. But even then, presence of two main storylines still complicates things.

IMO the solar flare plotline could've been dropped and AC3 should've revolved around Desmond team using the grand temple (without knowing its purpose) to stop the satellite launch, at the end of AC3 Desmond touch the Orb because S16 told him to do that on his cryptic messages while also giving hints about TWCB and the ancient battle between Assassins and Templars on these messages (like he did), Desmond dies and we free Juno in the process, then in the next game, a new protagonist (special as Desmond was) would be introduced (maybe this Eve S16 talked about) and she would need to deal with the Juno menace.

ps: we wouldn't interact with any TWCB in the Desmond trilogy, but we would be aware that they existed because of the S16 messages and the Templars/Assassins knowledge about them.

Jexx21
05-20-2014, 03:07 PM
your options are terrible

Assassin_M
05-20-2014, 03:15 PM
I had the same issue as Farlander but yeah, nothing drastic. it's obvious that you want 3rd person, evident by you saying that "real AC games" have third person modern day but that's okay.

to be quite honest, my favorite modern day segments were the ones in AC I and AC IV because to me, the modern day portion of AC was all about subtlety. reading emails, finding codes, eavesdropping and pickpockting. The hacking in AC IV was very fun and it expanded on AC I's subtle modern day segments and just like Fralander said, it's also about the reality of AC's production cycle and value.

Jexx21
05-20-2014, 03:33 PM
I dislike AC1's modern day purely because of the smoggy filter used in AC1. Otherwise it's fine.

Best modern-days were ACB, AC3, and AC4 in my experience.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Best modern-days were ACB, AC3, and AC4 in my experience.

Agreed.

Im a little unsure about it though. The ACIV one was new and interesting but yet how can they continue it from there, and what kind of plot can they twist in Unity? I guess they can keep at it as long as it doesn't look too foreign to the story or doesn't ruin the modern story as a whole.

Bastiaen
05-20-2014, 05:35 PM
I miss Desmond...

Hans684
05-20-2014, 05:48 PM
What I do believe is that AC3 was originally even more ambitious than the game we ultimately got, and would have featured maybe 50-50 per cent (or 40-60) of modern day and historical sections.

I would have liked that, more MD, the bigger the progress. As for how AC3 originaly was "supposed" to be is all speculation, I havn't seen a single source for any of that, just heard about it, rumors. It's just fans dreaming after the disappointment.

The modern day was quite simple at its core until they threw in the whole Lucy-being-a-spy thing.

Wouldn't have mattered much either way, what they did "threw in" with AC2 was the solar flare plot. Has anyone noticed that Corey is the one adding most to the games story while Darby get the most of the "cleaning" job? AC the begging was the foundation, nothing wrong. Then AC2 that adds more plots, again ACB doing the same(not only Corey, there was another writher, don't remember the name). Then comes ACR "cleaning", after that AC3 while adding and "cleaning". For last we have AC4BF "cleaning" and adding.

William probably wasn't part of the original plan at all, neither was Daniel Cross, and Subject 16 would have remained a mysterious, nameless character in AC2's glyphs.

Source for the W and DC assumption. So instead of ending the Clay plot you would have it dragged with not conclusion? Sounds like the satilite plot that got pushed to the side.

Erudito could have been saved for future games.

Aren't they that now?

We could still have had Desmond sacrificing himself for the greater good, just without Juno complicating things.

Saving the word with no consecvenses, that sounds... Can't really find a word for it, does at least not make sence.

I believe they could have easily pulled it off and it would have been more satisfying than what we got.

So it is fans dreaming, should have known...

Its failings came mainly from having too many characters without a clear purpose or a proper send-off. Without the subplots given to us by the yearly releases between AC2 and AC3, I believe the overall narrative could have been perfectly satisfying.

What would be Lucy's purpose and send-off has she been in ACR, AC3 and AC4BF? ACR would most likely not have happened since D would not have killed L while being forced by J, it's out of the picture. If so then Juno had to get trown out to, every plot involving her in AC3 while in the prosese taking away, Aita, Sage plot. In short almost everything we currently have, including the Kenway family and their plots. It would be just AC3 with Lucy(?), no W.M, no D.C, dragged S16 etc...What "epic" confrontations with D vs. W.V? He finding the Grand Temple ending with a "battle" where D kill W.V, sounds fun but does not make sence or do you have any other ideas of epic confrontations? As for not adding W.M, well D's parents have had some story mention in AC1, to not built upon it would not make sence either, especially since D is their son. They would have to be involved at some point. Cross is an active agent and D is an valuable person for Abstergo, so he would be involved either way. Erudito is saved at this moment...leave a massage after *pip*. The sub-plots was added in AC2, nothing with yearly realeses. It's the writhing(sorry), it's the writhers who finish, add, clouse, drop, ignore whatever is considerd best for the story, sure it has impact since we are ourselfs in AC from now on and well...that seems to Just about it. One less character in the game.

RinoTheBouncer
05-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Me and my doppleganger from the alternate universe vote for a 3rd person protagonist for modern day. For me, modern day is a pivotal part of the Assassin’s Creed franchise. I’d rather see AC franchise end than removing modern day or keeping the floating iPad crap.

Many people complained that ACIII had a bad gameplay in modern day but I’d argue and say that if you had a headache, would you shoot a bullet in your head and die or take some pills for that? The solution is to improve it rather than turn it to this reductive, lazy, half-a**ed version that we’ve got, so far.

GunnerGalactico
05-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Me and my doppleganger from the alternate universe vote for a 3rd person protagonist for modern day. For me, modern day is a pivotal part of the Assassinís Creed franchise. Iíd rather see AC franchise end than removing modern day or keeping the floating iPad crap.

Many people complained that ACIII had a bad gameplay in modern day but Iíd argue and say that if you had a headache, would you shoot a bullet in your head and die or take some pills for that? The solution is to improve it rather than turn it to this reductive, lazy, half-a**ed version that weíve got, so far.

* Thank you!. Been wanting to say that. :)

I'd rather they improve the modern day and have a new MD character to play as. Since we don't have Desmond anymore, I would like to see this new character join Shaun and Rebecca... and access the Animus.

Assassin_M
05-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Everybody seems to be monopolizing what it means to improve the modern day

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-20-2014, 07:45 PM

I'd rather they improve the modern day and have a new MD character to play as. Since we don't have Desmond anymore, I would like to see this new character join Shaun and Rebecca... and access the Animus.

Yes. I love Shaun and Rebecca. As long as the modern story continues along with them in it, I'm good ^_^

marvelfannumber
05-20-2014, 07:48 PM
I honestly never cared too much about any of the modern day parts in any of the games. The one game I think got really close to nailing it was Brotherhood where most of the plotline was optional, to me that is how it should work. I was always frustrated the first time I played an AC game, getting immersed and interested in the historical plot, only to be shoved into a (in my opinion) far less interesting story constantly.

Jexx21
05-20-2014, 07:55 PM
I honestly never cared too much about any of the modern day parts in any of the games. The one game I think got really close to nailing it was Brotherhood where most of the plotline was optional, to me that is how it should work. I was always frustrated the first time I played an AC game, getting immersed and interested in the historical plot, only to be shoved into a (in my opinion) far less interesting story constantly.
none of the modern day plotline was optional in ACB

marvelfannumber
05-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Yes some of it was, there was the opening and the ending which were mandatory, then one could get more exposition from taliking and looking at E-Mails in between. Hence why I said it got close.

oliacr
05-20-2014, 08:46 PM
I don't know, maybe that was a little better than first person.

Shahkulu101
05-20-2014, 08:52 PM
I'd like to see the modern day expand in terms of gameplay but remain first person. The modern day would bring us FP parkour a la Mirror's Edge and FP stealth a la Far Cry (which they can reuse) whilst we go out on missions whilst retaining a mini open-world HUB where you can hack an discover secrets. Also, give us a voice and we're golden.

Jexx21
05-20-2014, 08:53 PM
that's not the plot line. that's exposition.

Jexx21
05-20-2014, 08:54 PM
I'd like to see the modern day expand in terms of gameplay but remain first person. The modern day would bring us FP parkour a la Mirror's Edge and FP stealth a la Far Cry (which they can reuse) whilst we go out on missions whilst retaining a mini open-world HUB where you can hack an discover secrets. Also, give us a voice and we're golden. and let us look in mirrors.

I know first-person games are terrible at doing that, but it's like, why haven't they just developed a way for you to appear in mirrors?

RatonhnhakeFan
05-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Either day go with full-fledged protagonist or none at all and just have maybe something like "5 historians are sitting in a room and relieve memories for nothing but profesional curiosity" kind of a set-up.

Locopells
05-21-2014, 12:45 AM
Yes. I love Shaun and Rebecca. As long as the modern story continues along with them in it, I'm good ^_^

Seconded!

Ureh
05-21-2014, 01:25 AM
So those that want a new modern protagonist, do you want him/her to be similar in demeanor and background to Desmond? If not, do you have any idea what type of person you might want to play as...?

I'm interested in seeing a new 3rd person protag but I don't want them to force it if that isn't part of their plans. Maybe they've got something great in store for the AC4 character.

edit: Desmond obviously wasn't perfect, lots of people still disliked him. Should Ubi just do trial and error and keep introducing new protags until we meet one that is accepted by the majority?!

I-Like-Pie45
05-21-2014, 02:26 AM
So those that want a new modern protagonist, do you want him/her to be similar in demeanor and background to Desmond? If not, do you have any idea what type of person you might want to play as...?

I'm interested in seeing a new 3rd person protag but I don't want them to force it if that isn't part of their plans. Maybe they've got something great in store for the AC4 character.

the opposite of Desmond

someone who will like have a fun in the role but still understand the graveness of being an assassin

kind of like comparing Grayson Bats to Wayne Bats

AdamPearce
05-21-2014, 02:52 AM
I still think that ACI has the best scheme for the modern day.

I never really understand why people absolutely wanted to play the MD protag' like they would play the ancestor. I mean, the point of Assassin's Creed is to relive the memories of your extraordinary skilled ancestor who can do awesome stuff and parkour, and fight like a boss and blablabla. In ACI, by restricting the controls in the MD parts, it put the Animus Part on a stage of honor for everything that was gameplay related. And like that the game would constantly hype you. Especially when you are removed from the Animus, the feeling of desperation, of curiosity, the excitement to know when you are going back and to discover what's going to happen, that's what was perfect. Plus, in ACI there were no 7 hours sessions, it was mostly very short so the cuts were close enough to maintain the hype but also regular so you'd know when you're going out, increasing the excitement.

But the most important was really the full devotion to the characters and the story. They were no butched gameplay sequences with cheap level design and awfull cinematics. It was all about the story of Desmond and the mysteries of Abstergo and the Templar plots. I mean, ACI did better within 10m≤ room than ACIV within a whole building... So yeah, I hope they bring back developt MD sequences like ACI.

Though of course I'm not against gameplay sequences, but I'd seen them in a Beyond style so the cinematic aspect doesn't evade and the drama remains.

BATISTABUS
05-21-2014, 03:04 AM
I don't think we need another "Desmond" in the modern day. I definitely wouldn't like to play as Shaun or Lucy either. What they did in AC4 was cool, and I think I like that option the most going forward. Either way, it seems like they want to keep mixing up the modern formula in future games, and I think that's great.

Shahkulu101
05-21-2014, 03:06 AM
I still think that ACI has the best scheme for the modern day.

I never really understand why people absolutely wanted to play the MD protag' like they would play the ancestor. I mean, the point of Assassin's Creed is to relive the memories of your extraordinary skilled ancestor who can do awesome stuff and parkour, and fight like a boss and blablabla. In ACI, by restricting the controls in the MD parts, it put the Animus Part on a stage of honor for everything that was gameplay related. And like that the game would constantly hype you. Especially when you are removed from the Animus, the feeling of desperation, of curiosity, the excitement to know when you are going back and to discover what's going to happen, that's what was perfect. Plus, in ACI there were no 7 hours sessions, it was mostly very short so the cuts were close enough to maintain the hype but also regular so you'd know when you're going out, increasing the excitement.

But the most important was really the full devotion to the characters and the story. They were no butched gameplay sequences with cheap level design and awfull cinematics. It was all about the story of Desmond and the mysteries of Abstergo and the Templar plots. I mean, ACI did better within 10m≤ room than ACIV within a whole building... So yeah, I hope they bring back developt MD sequences like ACI.

Though of course I'm not against gameplay sequences, but I'd seen them in a Beyond style so the cinematic aspect doesn't evade and the drama remains.

By Beyond style do you mean interactive movie? If so, no...

So much no...

AdamPearce
05-21-2014, 03:33 AM
By Beyond style do you mean interactive movie? If so, no...

So much no...

Much more heavily scripted scenes. The goal here would be to not break the continuity of a sequence (cinematic sequence) and to make it smooth. Not necesserelly as an interactive movie but maybe something like running throught some favelas all captured in a cinematographic style (camera angles) so the sequence doesn't seem broken and the player gets to do something.

Though that would only work if you have a flawless Animus Gameplay.

Sigv4rd
05-21-2014, 04:44 AM

I want a neutral character, someone who has an outsiders perspective on both the Assassins and Templars. Viewing different memories through the Animus of both direct ancestors, and memories extracted from other bloodlines.

Also perhaps a female character?

Locopells
05-21-2014, 09:20 AM
We already got a female character - unless Juno was seriously confused about the body she wanted to inhabit!

king-hailz
05-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Vote Galina Voronina as the next modern dad assassin!!!

HercRembrandt
05-21-2014, 10:27 AM
I'd like to see the modern day expand in terms of gameplay but remain first person. The modern day would bring us FP parkour a la Mirror's Edge and FP stealth a la Far Cry (which they can reuse) whilst we go out on missions whilst retaining a mini open-world HUB where you can hack an discover secrets. Also, give us a voice and we're golden.

Uh, no thanks to FP parkour. If I needed a digital emetic, I'd buy Mirror's Edge. Which I definitely will not be doing anytime soon.

The idea of an unidentified protagonist in modern day came about after an "angry discussion" involving Chief Creative Officer Serge Hascoet and a member of the Ubi "Editorial Team" who insisted that she wanted to be the hero herself. (There's a big story about the Ed. Team in Edge magazine May 2014 issue, also posted on their website I believe.) Which I guess explains the inside jokiness of the concept of an anonymous employee at an Evil Corporation that happens to produce digital history simulations. But while this may be fun for Ubisoft employees, it's not great fantasy material for the general player.

Of course, the thing that dictates much of the current state of the modern day story is basically the need to avoid having a story that you'd need to be able to follow. They want to avoid turning away any potential new players who might be confused by references to some d00d called Desdemon or whatevs, plus their business plan calls for churning out a constant stream of "mobile and social content", stuffed with empty calories so it wouldn't accidentally advance any "plot". In other words, a somewhat evolved version of Dumbing Down for Mass Appeal.

It's profoundly disappointing, really. Reminds me of that guy who directed Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life going on about how his movie is "post-plot" or something. It was also pretty post-good.

Markaccus
05-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Another idea would be to directly link the past characters missions to the modern day characters tasks. Bring back the tombs.... Past character does his usual stuff, then maybe obtains and then hides an important artifact from the templars. This could happen half a dozen times over the course of the main story.... then every time they discover a hiding place from the past, the modern day character has to retrieve it from some long-forgotten catacomb or derelict cathedral et.c. Include an option where you can send someone else to get it, if you don't like the platforming side of the game that the assassins tombs offered.......And for the love of god/allah/vishnu/jehova/mother nature.....KEEP IT 3RD PERSON!!! It's what AC games are best at.

Hassassiyin
05-21-2014, 07:26 PM
I've shared my thoughts about this in a different thread:

Honestly, I hope they ditch the "You are the main character" thing, its one of the lamest things ever.
When they announced their plans for the modern day story in AC4, in my head I was already screaming "NOOOOOO!!!!!".
Why the hell would you have first person camera segments in an Assassins Creed game, didnt they learn anything from AC: Revelations?
Walking around with a tablet, with no dialogues, no character with a background and no character model to see (there goes freerunning.. and no I hated Mirrors Edge's freerunning).
Not much is possible when going into that direction.

I never hated the modern day segments before.
Desmond was fun. He had an identity, story, dialogues, goals, he made progress over the years and I always curious to see what would happen next.
I LOVED the modern day sequences from AC3, the modern day segments from AC4 were a HUGE step backwards in my opinion.
I feel like they let go of Desmond too soon and have no (good) idea what to do next.
I hope they kill "us" off. My biggest wish would be to see a Desmond Miles clone but that definetely wont happen, he's done.
Introduce Subject 18/19 whatever, or bring in a Michael Fassbender character to tie in with the movie.

Just dont continue the story of the current modern day "character".

Ive got a few suggestions:
Bring in Michael Fassbender to play as the new modern day character.
Perhaps as Subject 18 or a new assassin recruit
(Doesnt anyone want to see modern day assassin HQ?).
Like Desmond, he has a unusually high amount of TWCB genes.
Juno must be stopped and the key to that is locked in his DNA, if they fail
something terrible is gonna happen to mankind
(just like the 2012 event).
I think this would be a great way to have the futuring games tie in
with the movie, instead of him going "Hurr duurr me iz
Dezmond nd dis iz ma story".

Or

Instead of having a modern day character in the present, have us play as a character of Those Who Came Before,
Juno, Minerva and others could look into the future and see what was gonna happen, based on calculations right?
Someone who actually anticipated Juno's actions in the present.
But as this would be a character from a looonnggg time ago, there would be no Animus but instead the character
would have to use the Nexus of Time thing, there would be alternate timelines/possibilities and plotholes.
Im only suggesting this for the sake of connecting all the protagonists in a new way.

or

Have Ubisoft implement both of these 2 ideas.
Michael Fassbender character is a sage (is there only 1 or possibly more?),
who has done his part as a TWCB character,
who anticipated the actions of Desmond (who was not willing to take the
option which Minerva gave him and unwillingy helped Juno),
who layed out a path for himself in the future/present to stop Juno.
He doesnt know all of this yet and finds out more about
himself over the course of futuring games.
This way, the modern day story (not the character) of AC4 wouldve had some
contribution to the franchise and its future instead of entirely ditching and ignoring it, which I wouldnt mind really.

It doesnt necessarily have to be Michael Fassbender, but if they had the budget, plans
to make a movie with him and they're still working on the script then why not?

Ureh
05-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Yeah I like that direct descendant stuff... share some sort of lineage. Also looking forward to any gender bender stuff.

I tried. I really did try to roleplay as myself and imagine how I'd react in those situations but I'm not very interesting. And it was so painful to shout at the screen when I saw Shaun and Rebecca... "Oh my! Rebecca! Shaun! It's me! I can't believe it's you two!" Then I realize I'm just a stranger to them. :(

killerman_2012
05-21-2014, 10:16 PM
First-person camera sucks. I think It's a bad idea. There's no expressivity, no voice, no interactions, etc. Only walking around the office... so boring!

I loved when we controlled Desmond in the modern-day storyline. I hope in AC Unity we control a new modern-day hero, maybe Galina. It could be awesome!!!

Sigv4rd
05-22-2014, 06:25 AM
I kinda want to see a character who literally synchronizes with their ancestors, viewing memories through the bleeding effect and being fully in control of it (possibly even instantly being able to use the abilities of their ancestors?)

LoyalACFan
05-22-2014, 06:29 AM
I voted Yes, but to be honest I don't care about the modern stuff anymore. First-person sucked, but then again all of Desmond's missions sucked too, so whatever. If they give us an Assassin who does actual cool stuff without the need for five games of build-up and a crushingly disappointing finale, then that would be great I guess. But I'll likely just rush through those missions so I can get back in the Animus anyway.

RinoTheBouncer
05-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Youíre most welcome. Thanks for your support.
To me, AC has always been modern/historical. Just like Tomb Raider is all about Lara Croft (regardless of how many times they changed her and how they changed the gameplay). Theyíve been convincing us that the Assassins and Templars are in every time and place, so why not show whatís going on with them in modern day? whoever made the decision to make it FPS is a total idiot.

I wanna see a person with a presence, a character, someone I can see, hear and relate to, and honestly, I didnít feel that itís me, not even for a second. It was nothing more than a half-a**ed FPS. Iíd rather play AC:Rís underrated modern day Desmondís Journey missions than this. At least I knew whom weíre talking about.

Syler99
05-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Either type (1st or 3rd) of modern day hero isn't much of a problem for me, its that I'm sick of not being able to pick my gender. Ubi now has thrown out the window the reason for guys all the time by allowing at least on the Templar end the ability for anyone related or not to enter into others minds so by ditching this we should be now able to pick at least the modern hero's gender. If ubi insists on keeping a 10 male to 1 female lineup for ancient heros then this will give the next games something interesting to try.

I was liking the 1st person "you" hero when they were making an effort to keep it gender neutral but then that grunt at the end and the npcs sighting a him ruins it picking my gender on this type of hero means if anything is said you just need to pull an existing VA from the npc line up to read them picking gender means you get one male and one female to do lines or if its just sounds pull existing npc grunts or yelps this small detail allows for the player to truely be their sex so it is more or less themselves. The only other critique I have about this type of hero is when we're asked a question allow us to answer it via wheel and spoken or text and silent.

In 3rd person I'd like this modern hero to be interesting related or not to the ancient hero isn't much of an issue to the game anymore this person could switch sides or let the player choose this and give them something to do. Desmond while having a role to fill by locating the artifacts seems like a dull role lay in chair till you find something useful then someone else goes and gets it. I guess give us a reason to have the hero do more voluntary missions to end the thread they started however its going to have to be less contrived Desmond's journeys into the real world at points felt contrived if I the player have to ask why am I doing this alone when I'm wanted and doing so little to blend in? or I'm not qualified to do this why is character X not doing this? You're doing it wrong. Maybe we're in a unit that is mobile and while you are qualified as the best mental link to the past subject's dna you still are on the front lines needing to pull double duty.

JustPlainQuirky
05-23-2014, 12:25 AM
I don't care either way.

But first person limits itself to no free-running.

LoyalACFan
05-23-2014, 02:00 PM
I don't care either way.

Or assassinating. Or fighting.

Jexx21
05-23-2014, 02:03 PM
but it doesn't. they would just have to develop new gameplay systems for it.

I-Like-Pie45
05-23-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't care either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgox84KE7iY

LoyalACFan
05-23-2014, 03:16 PM
but it doesn't. they would just have to develop new gameplay systems for it.

Which is easier said than done, considering they'd be essentially gutting and redoing the core gameplay for like half an hour of content. Not worth it, not by a long shot.

JustPlainQuirky
05-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Yeah adding an entirely different combat system would just be confusing for the brief moments between animus sections.

Hans684
05-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Or assassinating. Or fighting.

I don't care either way.

Neither, Mirrors Edge and Dishonored. Both great examples.

JustPlainQuirky
05-23-2014, 07:08 PM
@hans

you would have to teach your players two drastically different gameplay systems just to complete some modern day missions. Would just get confusing.

And this is coming from someone who likes both those games you listed.

Plus you'd have to show their hands and Ubisoft wanted the game to be 'you' playing. So unless you can customize your skin color and gender, it likely wouldn't happen. Unless you were wearinig ambiguous clothes + gloves that cover that up.

Hans684
05-23-2014, 07:27 PM
@hans
you would have to teach your players two drastically different gameplay systems just to complete some modern day missions. Would just get confusing.

That depends more on the individual. When I played Black Flag(can't remember how many times) again and was just halfway thought I did buy Thief(reboot), Changed style easily. I change gameplay systems if there is a new game out that's on my radar.

And this is coming from someone who likes both those games you listed.

Those games are worth ever penny.

Plus you'd have to show their hands and Ubisoft wanted the game to be 'you' playing. So unless you can customize your skin color and gender, it likely wouldn't happen. Unless you were wearinig ambiguous clothes + gloves that cover that up.

Ubisoft properly wants a lot of things, for all we know we might get an protagonist again in the future. The "you" playing thing is hardly a problem, they did make a tablet for us in FP so they can easily give us hands, body and give that person a name(maybe voice). Mission design will come by itself when making the story.

JustPlainQuirky
05-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Not saying I hate modern day as it is, but 3rd person is going to have to happen. Unless we're going to defeat Juno with our mighty iPad and invisible hands. Or even worse, she's defeated in a cutscene.

Unless any of you have alternatives? Some suggested modern day having first person combat and free-running mechanics but I find that bad game design to force the player to learn two completely different playstyles for the sake of short modern day segments.

I mean I always imagined the fight with Juno being with all the Assassins we played as. Where we play as each individual assassin and go through small free-running segments then deal a huge blow to her. And the modern Assassin does the final blow. (don't ask how the Assassins would be there. just a silly impracticle dream) But then I thought "how would we do that as an invisible person with no voice?"

I don't see how Juno could be taken down in modern day at all the way it is now.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Modern day is without a doubt coming back; Ubi just needs time to come up with a good one and how Juno will, if ever, be defeated... Highly doubt they'll leave that story unfinished.

GunnerGalactico
05-28-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm still hoping that they make a new MD character, maybe someone who is related to Desmond perhaps and then they might be able to close the story involving Juno.

Markaccus
05-28-2014, 10:58 AM
For those who did not hate Desmond, or even liked him......... What about if Abstergo clone him, with all the memories up to when he died, then he escapes/ is broken out.... then we could finish the Juno story, and have a bit of MD free running/fighting/exploring. Just a thought. Nobody kill me.

Locopells
05-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Oh boy...

king-hailz
05-28-2014, 05:35 PM
I just loved ac2's modern day... I loved it when we were first introduced to Rebecca and shaun. I actually love replaying the game for that as well... I also really liked it from brotherhood... It was really good... I mainly want it for story progression... and although people didn't like Desmond I loved the fact that we were playing somebody who was special who had all these cool connections in his blood!

THIS IS WHY I WANT GALINA!!!

STDlyMcStudpants
05-28-2014, 07:04 PM
I want modern day cutscenes

ze_topazio
05-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Only if it's a midget.

RinoTheBouncer
05-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Iíd sell my soul to the devil for a full 3rd person modern day AC segment with a new protagonist and a connected story.

AherasSTRG
05-29-2014, 01:35 PM
All right, after 2 weeks me bragging around the Watch Dogs forums, I come back to see a poll asking to return to a feature of the old "real" AC games...

DumbGamerTag94
05-29-2014, 03:30 PM
I want modern day cutscenes

Yes! This. I want cutscenes so I can ignore it because it sucks anymore. And it's not like anything significant will ever happen until the last game anyway. All they will do is throw in more plot twists and kill off main characters to keep it interesting. Thus making all of the characters pretty much irrelevant anyway. Sure Desmond was cool and important. But if they make 20-30 games in the series his 5 games will become less and less significant with every new title. And even if you don't agree with that it's impossible to ignore that the MD story is impossible to follow only in the games anyway. Everything is scatterd in initiates and comics, Facebook games(for a time), books, cell phone games, multiplayer(so you have to play to unlock stuff), board games maybe?. I just don't have time or care enough anymore to do all those things to figure out what's going on. And I am not just going to read the AC wiki to learn. Because if I'm readig everything anyway the series might as well be books. Modern Day is aweful ever since AC3 literally killed it. And it was on its death bed since the disaster ACRs MD was.

So I want cutscenes only. And short ones so I can just ignore them for a minute or two. Or even better cutscenes you can skip by holding a button. That'd be great. Then they can be as long as you want them to be. That way people who still care get a story to confuse them more and make them happy, and everyone else can just skip it.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Yes! This. I want cutscenes so I can ignore it because it sucks anymore. And it's not like anything significant will ever happen until the last game anyway. All they will do is throw in more plot twists and kill off main characters to keep it interesting. Thus making all of the characters pretty much irrelevant anyway. Sure Desmond was cool and important. But if they make 20-30 games in the series his 5 games will become less and less significant with every new title. And even if you don't agree with that it's impossible to ignore that the MD story is impossible to follow only in the games anyway. Everything is scatterd in initiates and comics, Facebook games(for a time), books, cell phone games, multiplayer(so you have to play to unlock stuff), board games maybe?. I just don't have time or care enough anymore to do all those things to figure out what's going on. And I am not just going to read the AC wiki to learn. Because if I'm readig everything anyway the series might as well be books. Modern Day is aweful ever since AC3 literally killed it. And it was on its death bed since the disaster ACRs MD was.

So I want cutscenes only. And short ones so I can just ignore them for a minute or two. Or even better cutscenes you can skip by holding a button. That'd be great. Then they can be as long as you want them to be. That way people who still care get a story to confuse them more and make them happy, and everyone else can just skip it.

Exactly... I love the modern day story.. I just dont like interacting with the modern day world
BUT I dont mind interacting with its story (AC2 and ACB where there are glyphs placed by the animus but in the Assassin world)
I LOVED those and they werent marked on the map right?
I would love more of that (if again they werent marked on map)

Ureh
05-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Hm! Skippable cutscenes for MD.... that could work too I think.

@STDlyMcStudpants You're correct, glyphs weren't marked on the map. But Shaun would keep hassling us to find it with eagle vision if we stayed in the place too long. :P Beautiful cities put us in a trance but we can always count on Shaun to break the spell.

VoXngola
05-29-2014, 10:52 PM
Me. I want it.

I was so excited when people had theories 1 year ago where Otso Berg was supposed to be the new main character. I'd love to have that back, but I don't think it'll come soon, judging from the team's interviews. :nonchalance:

Fatal-Feit
05-30-2014, 11:21 AM
I'll dig whatever they throw at us, as long as it's different and innovative. 3rd person was becoming stale, IMO. Shifting from 3rd person to first person was quite immersive for me.

If they bring 3rd person modern day back, hopefully we get to visit real places again like in AC:3.

MrHandsss
05-30-2014, 11:32 PM
I will never accept that I am in a videogame. I hated it enough when Bungie was trying to make me feel that way about me being Master Chief, it's one reason why I hate Gordon Freeman and don't take anyone seriously who says he's a good character (he's not a character, he is merely a vessel). I HATE the concept of "YOU are the player". No, I'm not, I'm playing some guy in every scenario and I don't want to think about me. I want to know of a different person's story and conflict. Assassin's Creed provides that with the past segments, yes, but it also had a modern segment I care about that ties everything together.

Desmond may have been unlikable to many, but not me. I followed his journey as a smartass bartender who ran away from home after thinking his family was crazy to being a skilled assassin with a team of friends and his father trying to prevent the end of the world while still dealing with those who would attempt to control it. No matter what Desmond's shortcomings were, he's still infinitely better than a blank vessel for the player to move about so that Ubisoft doesn't have to try as hard with the story. I want to play as a character. ANY character. I'm not a character.

JustPlainQuirky
05-30-2014, 11:44 PM
I like the concept of 'you are the player' in games like harvest moon but not ones with good storytelling and characters.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-31-2014, 07:23 PM
I will never accept that I am in a videogame. I hated it enough when Bungie was trying to make me feel that way about me being Master Chief, it's one reason why I hate Gordon Freeman and don't take anyone seriously who says he's a good character (he's not a character, he is merely a vessel). I HATE the concept of "YOU are the player". No, I'm not, I'm playing some guy in every scenario and I don't want to think about me. I want to know of a different person's story and conflict. Assassin's Creed provides that with the past segments, yes, but it also had a modern segment I care about that ties everything together.

Desmond may have been unlikable to many, but not me. I followed his journey as a smartass bartender who ran away from home after thinking his family was crazy to being a skilled assassin with a team of friends and his father trying to prevent the end of the world while still dealing with those who would attempt to control it. No matter what Desmond's shortcomings were, he's still infinitely better than a blank vessel for the player to move about so that Ubisoft doesn't have to try as hard with the story. I want to play as a character. ANY character. I'm not a character.
I get what youre saying... I too loved desmond...
But I personally become the character no matter who it is.. I dont necessarily roll play.. I put myself in their shoes and do things the way i personally would...
Such as The Walking Dead from telltale... I played in 3rd person but that was still MY story...
Skyrim i like to play in 3rd person, but its still my story...
The problem with the modern day in AC4 IMO is that it wasn't personalized enough.. you felt like like you were playing a video game kind of like what you said.. it pulled you out of the story and it was hard for me to take ownership of this 1st person character...
Probably due to lack of emotion or conflict...
Which if you make it 1st person you need choices..
If this is supposed to be me, let me choose if I go through with hacking...
Otherwise define my character for me if you want me to hack and turn on the company that just hired me...
the choice thing is something i dont ever want AC to be come.. I want it to tell me a story.. I dont want a telltale or mass effect
But if they continue 1st person... then they better start implementing choices...

BlakJakXXI
06-01-2014, 07:06 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a new present day character to fill in for Desmond.

DinoSteve1
06-01-2014, 04:08 PM
They should deffo bring back the 3rd person character modern day parts, they were awesomely done in ACR and were the best bit of AC3.

Markaccus
06-02-2014, 02:21 PM
They should deffo bring back the 3rd person character modern day parts, they were awesomely done in ACR and were the best bit of AC3.

Only played one "desmonds journey" in ACR. really did not like the idea.

However, although i dislike AC3's game play, i though the Modern day stuff was the best so far. Desmond had to behave like a proper assassin... Combat, Platforming, Free running. It p1ssed me off when he died. They need to bring it back somehow