PDA

View Full Version : Are portals gone!?

stllbreathnbdy
05-16-2014, 11:49 PM
I wanted to make an Easter egg where the player can ride on scenery in the background. I was going to use a portal to send the player past the finishline to the spot, which has extra driveline on it so it can be ridden. But I can't figure out how to get the rider over there without a portal from trials evolution...

Rishaanvb
05-17-2014, 12:57 AM
There is a player event where you can send the rider to a specific checkpoint or somewhere along the driving line. That's the best option you have in stead of portals.

http://youtu.be/ifeam2iYy34?t=3m31s explanation

choose either the 3d option(reset to checkpoint) or the 4th one{reset to a certain point on the driving line)

stllbreathnbdy
05-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Yeah, those won't do for this particular plan, as the background isn't part of the driveline. I can only get a driveline over it if it's before or after the finish line. I don't want to use an area trigger for an artificial finish line, since it's a trials track, and precise times are important.

Why would they take away a feature from the old game like that?! That's nuts.

Rishaanvb
05-17-2014, 10:08 PM
When do you want to teleport the rider? During the race or after you crossed the finish line? And what do you mean by "the background isn't part of the driveline?" In the OP you said the opposite thing? Or am I reading it wrong?

Btw, the portal effect was included in a DLC, it wasn't part of the original game. Although they did include other stuff in Fusion that was also in Evo dlc..

BMXBandit777
05-17-2014, 10:30 PM
You could have a S shape driving line - start at the bottom of the S and have a triggered end event where the track would normally end and have the 'portal' transport you to the top part of the S which would be in the background - that way you could still use driving line/ checkpoint player event. :)

Edit : just reread your post and I know you don't want an artificial end but can it (the end event) be triggered by a checkpoint event filter for better time accuracy?

Rishaanvb
05-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Edit : just reread your post and I know you don't want an artificial end but can it (the end event) be triggered by a checkpoint event filter for better time accuracy?

No, it will still check every tick.

I just tried it in the editor and I thought you could select the 'go to index dl' to go to a certain point after the finish point.. Not possible so it seems. Guess you really need an artificial endpoint if you are set on having that easter egg in there.

dasraizer
05-22-2014, 01:54 PM
just a quick thought on this, if you use the start gate trigger to send you to check point 3 that's identical looking to the start line deco, at the end of the track, you might be able to send the player back to check point 2.

MrWare2012
05-24-2014, 08:26 AM
I notice you have a 360, have a look at this video, think its kind of what you're asking. May be worth contacting the creator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awsk2-DlQTs

dasraizer
05-24-2014, 05:07 PM
I notice you have a 360, have a look at this video, think its kind of what you're asking. May be worth contacting the creator.

lol i know he cant wait for portals to be back ;)

accuracy and skill required for what insanity does.

FilthyFecker
05-25-2014, 10:57 PM
For the record i never used portals on any of my tracks, even when they were
available to me i Didnt use them, just never felt right to me.
The trick is to allign 2 identical areas and cut between custom cameras.
I dont know if this little trick would apply here. You might have to
massive changes to make it work. I could help you with it but it would
probably be alot of work for an easter egg.

StllBreathnButY
05-26-2014, 11:39 PM

Dont have fusion on 360;)

This style is not what my track is, so it won't apply. The track is traditional, the background perspective changes depending on your position on the track. I need portals to make it work. It's really not important, but I don't like how a perfectly functional tool was in evolution, and was taken away.

MrWare2012
05-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Welcome to next gen, where everything you had before has been taken away, but will eventually return as "new" features.

mutetus
05-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Portal was not working perfectly in Evo, it caused a lot of freezes and other issues in tracks, so it was better left out for now.

StllBreathnButY
05-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Portal was not working perfectly in Evo, it caused a lot of freezes and other issues in tracks, so it was better left out for now.

That's unfortunate, because I never had any issues with it.

yarivpa
05-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Hey fellas iffbi wanna build something "like" Insanity, a S shaped driving line with a checkpoint event is my only option?