PDA

View Full Version : Using the Request a Song app

DanAmrich
05-14-2014, 07:34 PM
I have updated the sticky post (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/717135-Official-Rocksmith-Song-Requests-*Updated-5-13-14) that Black Widow created regarding how to officially request songs (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/717135-Official-Rocksmith-Song-Requests-*Updated-5-13-14), and for the purposes of clarity, I want to keep that thread locked -- but I'm okay talking about it here on the side.

I added a bunch of things folks can help with -- spelling, accuracy of band names, little annoying details that matter a lot when you are working with a database -- and I wanted to make sure everybody knows why I'm doing that.

This request a song app thing works. It's useful to us and we rely on it. It is not a black hole or lip service, cynically created so you think the dev team is listening and thereby stop trying to communicate with them. It's really a direct line from you to us in a helpful and organized manner. The data we get from this app really does inform what songs we request, and even how often we request them again after we get a no. You're going to see a fresh push of awareness, particularly on our Twitter and Facebook channels, to encourage people to use this app and feel empowered by it.

We have opened a discussion with the team that created the request app for us (Ubisoft has lots of studios worldwide, and the particular team with FB app expertise is in Europe) to see if we can improve it. For instance, one of the things we would like is for band names might come up automatically when you start to type them. That way, it would reduce the number of variant spellings for, say, Guns 'n/&/'n'/and/'n/n Roses. Not sure where that conversation will go or if our requests are feasible based on time and budget and resources, but the discussion has started. In the meantime, your accuracy using the current revision helps us waste less time on interpretation of that data.

Side note: We are also talking about the frequent request of "what are the most requested bands" and how to release that info. It can be something really positive and a bit louder than just a forum post if we handle it correctly, but now that the numbers are crunched, we're talking about presentation. So while I don't have complete signoff on this, I do think we'll be releasing this data in some form before too long.

If anything I just said winds up not working out, please do not crucify me. Transparency doesn't always come with ironclad promises.

tjdrico
05-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Some of those things should be fairly easy to normalise in order to lessen the burden on humans. For example always replace "&" with "and". OK it might not give you the official name of the band (if the actually use an &), but at least it'd be consistent.

Simon & Garfunkel seems to be another where the "official" presentation varies (look at Sounds of Silence or Bookends, versus Bridge Over Troubled Water), and normalising those variations seems a simple thing to try.

Also, you cite abbreviations ike CCR and A7X, but surely it'd be simple to assemble a list of those well-known abbreviations, and store the correct band name upon input. I suppose it'd be aproblem if there are multiple bands abbreviated to CCR, but if anyone doesn't mean Creedence Clearwater Revival, they deserve what they get. :D

The R.E.M situation could similarly be solved by not taking punctuation into account. That way, REM, R.E.M., R.E.M all get normalised to REM and match correctly. Yeah, there's a slightly different issue with R. E. M. but you could always strip all the whitespace out. ;)

These approaches should work similarly well with titles, and while they wouldn't result in perfection, I'm sure it'd reduce the overhead.

Heck, chuck me the spreadsheet and I'll see what I can do. ;)

In other news...

Great to hear you might be releasing some details of the most-requested stuff. I look forward to seeing that.

dm_gsxr
05-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Yea, stats on the requested songs or perhaps requests vs the already released songs would go a long way to informing the fans that we are being heard. That the app isn't a black hole just to keep the fans at a tolerable level.

And Matchbox 20 has the same issue. I have two of their CDs. One is Matchbox 20 (Yourself or Someone Like You), one is Matchbox Twenty (Mad Season) :) Heck, the Amazon page for Yourself or Someone Like You has 'Matchbox 20' on the cover but the Amazon listing shows 'Matchbox Twenty' :)

Carl

GuitarZenTen
05-14-2014, 09:01 PM
About the stats: I was using the app yesterday and whilst adding some, moderately obscure, songs I was wondering how many people, if any, had also requested the same songs. So rather than
publishing all the stats; a little - "xxxx number of people have also requested this song." - message might be workable?

Oh, and by the way if I've requested the same song more than once, it's not cos I'm trying to game the system, it's because my short term memory ain't what it should be these days.

DanAmrich
05-14-2014, 09:57 PM
About the stats: I was using the app yesterday and whilst adding some, moderately obscure, songs I was wondering how many people, if any, had also requested the same songs. So rather than
publishing all the stats; a little - "xxxx number of people have also requested this song." - message might be workable?

Not sure...there's already quite a bit of discussion about how many band names it list and in what order. I think if we start calling out specific songs, then people start expecting specific songs, whereas the conversation about artists can be a little more open.

Oh, and by the way if I've requested the same song more than once, it's not cos I'm trying to game the system, it's because my short term memory ain't what it should be these days.

Oh, I understand. One of the things we can see is the order in which songs are requested. Not that it really means "if they asked for this as their first pick they must want it more than their 20th" because someone might submit 20 requests over the course of several months, as songs occur to them. But I have seen a song show up as pick 1 and then again as 20, and I think "Yeah, they probably didn't realize they'd already requested it." No harm taken. :)

Some of those things should be fairly easy to normalise in order to lessen the burden on humans. For example always replace "&" with "and". OK it might not give you the official name of the band (if the actually use an &), but at least it'd be consistent.

Also, you cite abbreviations ike CCR and A7X, but surely it'd be simple to assemble a list of those well-known abbreviations, and store the correct band name upon input.

That's the stuff we think would be easiest to normalize within the app. A vote for CCR would ideally just be translated into Creedence Clearwater Revival upon submission. Maybe every band gets "and" regardless, and all ampersands or single letter Ns are turned into a three-letter conjunction. There might be a song or two that people request where the single letter N is part of the title, but that would be a minority case and we could suss that one out as soon as we saw it. But if we can get the app handling some of that, it reduces the amount of time we have to spend fixing the spreadsheet.

tmitch45
05-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Thanks Dan this is just the news I wanted to hear from you guys and shows us all that our views ARE important and ultimately do determine what future DLC we get in the future.

BazzTard61
05-15-2014, 02:04 AM
yep i wanna see "3000 people also requested ACDC Beatles Jimi Led Zep Black Sabbath Metallica hehe"

MarkAllan1963
05-15-2014, 05:24 AM
Thank you

tjdrico
05-15-2014, 08:34 AM
yep i wanna see "3000 people also requested ACDC Beatles Jimi Led Zep Black Sabbath Metallica hehe"

I ain't requested any of those. :D But yeah, hopefully something a little more interesting than just the obvious artists.

GuitarZenTen
05-15-2014, 01:42 PM

This would be a great forum for playing the "everytime forum regulars post a predictable response" drinking game. Seriously though my suggestion was you only see stats in response to what you're adding personally, not all stats for everyone. So if that's what you'd think you'd see BazzTard61,well stop requesting the 'Naughty' DLC! ;)

plissken99
05-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Anyone know any of the Metallica guys email or mailing addresses? I feel like we should launch a letter writing campaign, not sure it will ever happen otherwise lol.

dm_gsxr
05-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Metallica:

Metallica
c/o The Metallica Club
369-B Third Street
PMB #194
San Rafael, CA 94901-3581
USA

or

Metallica
Q-Prime Management
729 7th Avenue
Suite 16
New York, 10019-6831
USA

Carl

Cptn_Kangaroo
05-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the insight Dan. It's nice to see you're working to improve communication with the community as promised in your introduction thread.

One downside I see with being transparent about the popularity of certain bands is that it will negatively effect Ubi's position when negotiating publishing rights.