PDA

View Full Version : Physics events, triggers etc

HaroldtheFear
05-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Hi, apologies as some of you may have answered this or similar 100 times over for previous version of Trials....

Fusion is the first time I've gone into track editor and I'm hooked but I have a question about physics events, triggers and making them work.

So, I have an object placed with physics turned off, I have a physics event pointing to the object and I have a trigger placed on the driving line pointing to the physics event. (the trigger is set to activate the physics event when the bike and rider hit the trigger area)

I've tried this a couple of times but can't get the trigger to activate the event. The object either remains doing nothing, is activated when the physics bubble gets close or, up till recently, just falls from the sky (I realised that I had to leave physics off on the object to rectify this)

Please help, I must be missing a setting somewhere????

Thanks in advance.

SparkierJoNESZ
05-08-2014, 01:29 PM
for physics you pretty much have to be in the physics bubble else they wont work properly or not at all, if you want to move stuff in the distance its best to use the object position event

IImayneII
05-08-2014, 01:32 PM
From what I can read your setup does actually work

The object either remains doing nothing, is activated when the physics bubble gets close

Or do you mean this is only when you leave turned on?

Like you said, all objects with physics activated will only move when the physics bubble gets close enough to the object. I'm assuming you want the object to fall sooner then that? But then you will have to either enlarge the physics bubble (wich is not really recommended because it can create lag) or use an object positioning event to simulate physics.

Smilies2019
05-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Maybe this helps: https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B1g45eEhm7-BUF9wanpFNXBkdkE#list

HaroldtheFear
05-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.....

What I want to happen is for the object to move when the rider gets close too or on it, activated by the trigger which would be on the driving line in front of the object (or linked to a different object).

An example would be the rider goes onto a ramp, above which is an object that falls as you drive under it. The way I see it (which is probably wrong), this would be triggered by the physics bubble when it gets close enough, but I don't want that, I want the rider to activate it when he hits the trigger. Can this be done other than by reducing the physics bubble??

Thanks again!

SparkierJoNESZ
05-08-2014, 03:24 PM
area trigger + physics event shoul do the trick as long as the trigger and the object are in the bubble, if the object isn't in the bubble yet it will just wait till its in the bubble

if the object is moving before its triggered something is wrong in your setup

IImayneII
05-08-2014, 04:01 PM
From what I read your setup should be:

Area trigger (on hit) connected to a physics event (ON) connected to the object you want physics enabled (physics OFF in properties)

If the object falls before hitting the trigger you probably forgot to turn off physics on the object itself

HaroldtheFear
05-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, turns out I was doing it right but there wasn't enough movement happening to see the physics working DOH! Your comments got trying different things which is when I saw it working.

Learning every day so will be back with more questions no doubt!

IImayneII
05-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Don't know if you know this yet but might be helpful

If you press select, you activate physics so you don't have to do a testrun to see how physic enabled objects fall

If you press select while an object is selected, physics is enabled of that object and makes it easier to place when you want to enable physics for it in the track (it can't clip trough other objects anymore when you do this, because objects freak out when physics get enabled and they go trough other objects)