PDA

View Full Version : New player to the game: Does the base set 2 starter worth buying?

holululu852
05-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Hi, I am new to DOC. I started this game a couple ago, I have a haven theme deck now and have 50,000 gold through daily login and campaign.

Should I spend my gold on some packs for expanding my deck, or should I buy another base set 2 starter better? I think 50,000 gold is equal to 2 packs of cards only.

Thank you for your advise.

malkorion
05-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Buy BS2 packs until you have a decent collection of cards. (most of the heroes, and the commons/uncommons. rares are pretty cheap for Wildcards, but I doubt you will have many of those)

Necropolis is very easy to build, as most of its cards are in Base Set 2.

Once you have a good base of BS2 cards, start buying Heart of Nightmares packs to get some new cards.

Haven is a very weak faction in Standard right now (but this is the format you want to play, because Open is just too expensive for you), so I suggest you get a Necropolis starter deck. It's way more aggressive, and will net you better results.

Revalon
05-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Well, I started a new account a while ago which I currently have on level 16.
Over time, I bought all the five starter decks I was missing, and I'm now close to having the campaign completed with all factions (11 Five Towers missions to go).

Sure, I'm behind in terms of making one deck strong, but I am Lord Commander now and with all factions I can do the "win 2 games with x" quest, which is worth something.
Also completing the campaign with all factions gives you 25 packs, including some cards you can use in standard (and some you can't), and 40 wildcards in total, and 125k gold for the completion (with the 5 extra factions).
So, paying those 250k for the decks, I am, as soon as the campaign is finished, 125k gold behind, but 40 wildcards and 25 packs (about half of the cards useful) ahead.
I could have bought 8 BS2 packs for those 125k, so a third of the packs I won by completing the campaign. So, assuming that half the cards from old set packs are for standard, I am still ahead in cards. Knowing that it is not really half, but a bit less, we can say I could break even.
But I can now use all the cards I will get in the future as I can build a deck for every faction.
Plus, I am not bound to use one faction until by luck I get the cards together to build another faction deck.

So, if you want to spend the time going through the campaign (at some point it becomes annoying, I have to admit that) I personally think it's worth it, as you don't fall behind in cards, get lots of wildcards and are rewarded with being able to play other factions.

The not falling behind point sadly ignores that you don't play ranked in the time you invest in completing the campaign, getting less gold/xp than from playing ranked, but that might even out with being able to complete the faction bound quests.

banduan
05-08-2014, 01:47 PM
agree with Revalon. Campaign rewards are good, so aim to buy all starters, unless you accidentally open a hero from that faction.

holululu852
05-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks so much. I think I should buy a Necropolis starter first