PDA

View Full Version : Shifty's Editor Questions [aka - CMs can't build tracks, yo!]

RetiredRonin
05-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Hey all,

So, I was building a track, but about 80% into the build I decided that I wanted it to be based on distance, and then time, instead of JUST time/faults. Shogun was kind enough to point me to the skill game tutorial, but it was lacking the one piece I actually needed; the logic used to get information on how far the player had driven.

I can get it to "work" in that I have a distance operator pulling information from an invisible piece set at 0 and the vehicle that increases as the distance between the two objects increases. What I can't seem to figure out is how to get that information applied to the Track Settings > Game Mode Settings > Set Scores > Select Value Target.

I have the bail/crash logic set, so the game will end when you fall of bail out, but my distance is sitting at a rock solid "0" and I've reached the end of what I can just try to figure out on my own. Any help is appreciated.

apdenton1
05-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Hey all,

So, I was building a track, but about 80% into the build I decided that I wanted it to be based on distance, and then time, instead of JUST time/faults. Shogun was kind enough to point me to the skill game tutorial, but it was lacking the one piece I actually needed; the logic used to get information on how far the player had driven.

I can get it to "work" in that I have a distance operator pulling information from an invisible piece set at 0 and the vehicle that increases as the distance between the two objects increases. What I can't seem to figure out is how to get that information applied to the Track Settings > Game Mode Settings > Set Scores > Select Value Target.

I have the bail/crash logic set, so the game will end when you fall of bail out, but my distance is sitting at a rock solid "0" and I've reached the end of what I can just try to figure out on my own. Any help is appreciated.

Select value target can go to a variable data source only.

So place the VDS, use the VDS to get the distance from distance operator, and then set value target to the VDS from the game settings.

DrownLies
05-02-2014, 09:27 PM
I can get it to "work" in that I have a distance operator pulling information from an invisible piece set at 0 and the vehicle that increases as the distance between the two objects increases.

There's a much cleaner way to do this ( i don't know how to change the language of trials so i will translate the blocks by myself =P)
Use the block "datasource for objectinfo" and set it to "drivinglineposition" (should be option number 25).
This way you can build a curved driving line but it will stay correct.
Keep in mind that the start of the driving line is not the first checkpoint but the first splinepoint so aline it to the start ;)

Lukeyy19
05-03-2014, 12:46 PM
There's a much cleaner way to do this ( i don't know how to change the language of trials so i will translate the blocks by myself =P)
Use the block "datasource for objectinfo" and set it to "drivinglineposition" (should be option number 25).
This way you can build a curved driving line but it will stay correct.
Keep in mind that the start of the driving line is not the first checkpoint but the first splinepoint so aline it to the start ;)

That doesn't have a unit like feet or meters though does it? As far as I remember it's just a value between 0 and 100 depending on how far along the driving line you are, so you'd have to use some math operators to work out the distance in feet or meters.

Also, I can't remember if it has decimal points or not, but if it doesn't then you'll only have a maximum of 100 different scores, for example if your track is 800ft, then you would times the value by 8 but that would mean as you ride along the score would go 0, 8, 16, 24, 32, etc.

The way Shifty is already doing it is probably best and the most accurate, at least for a straight track.

mutetus
05-03-2014, 01:27 PM
You know there is a type "driving line" in the distance operator? It uses the same data used to draw the driving line so it should be accurate enough to measure distance between objects placed on a curved driving line.

mutetus
05-03-2014, 01:57 PM
This is all you need to do. This setup keeps only the top distance in the datasource.
http://i.imgur.com/N5U7qFQ.jpg