PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Track Editor

nightstrikerPC
04-30-2014, 09:40 PM
As much as I love the game and how far Trials has come recently, I was slightly disappointed in the track editor this time around. And while it is by no means underwhelming, improving even more on the robust assortment of options pioneered by it's predecessors, it just doesn't feel to me like a Trials game without some of the gritty, grimy, broken objects that I am used to seeing and working with. I just can't help feeling that a few classic objects (seriously, is there no wood in the future?!) would have livened the game up a bit by adding some diversity to otherwise semi-repetitive looking tracks.
This is a Trials game after all, and with practically no broken or breakable objects, it makes it rather difficult to entertain the game's inherent destructive side.

I was really looking forward to a future where elements of the past coincided with the high-tech, glossy future that we were all intrigued by in the trailer. It would have made the title, Trials Fusion a bit more true to the experience... I just wish there was an option for importing objects from Evolution or something. THAT would be Fusion... But I still have to wait and see what the DLC has to offer. No doubt the guys at RedLynx have something spectacular in store for us that will make this the greatest Trials game that ever was or will be.

UPDATE: 1st DLC Riders of the Rustlands - ...Still no DAAAMN wood in the future!

fleskeknoke
04-30-2014, 10:37 PM
yeah im thinking steampunk... we need wood and brass

http://weburbanist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/wooden-skyscraper-unusual-architectural-design.jpg
http://cdn.3oneseven.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/steampunk-barracuda.jpg
http://anidea.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/industory_HP1.jpg
http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/30/94/63498356671133/0/6-mind-blowing-ways-wear-your-steampunk-goggles.w654.jpg

iUserProfile
04-30-2014, 11:12 PM
It's sad but true. It came to my attention today that there are no ropes in the game either. There's no comment from Redlynx on the issue that i'm aware of and it looks like they want to go down dlc road. It's a shame.

nightstrikerPC
05-01-2014, 04:20 AM
It's sad but true. It came to my attention today that there are no ropes in the game either. There's no comment from Redlynx on the issue that i'm aware of and it looks like they want to go down dlc road. It's a shame.

Yeah and I hope they read this and realize that their game is all but devoid of what makes Trials Trials. I can't stress enough that with the wealth of options that this game presents for each and every object, it should never feel as though the creative juices have dried up. But it does... In Evolution, hell, in Trials HD we had everything ranging from wood to steel to metal grating and glass to concrete and stone... I never felt like I couldn't create EXACTLY what I had pictured in my mind from the objects I was presented with... But in this game, we have metal. And stone ruins. And more shiny metal. It just feels extremely limited in possibilities. Which is NOT what I was expecting from a next-gen Trials game. And I hope they didn't cut corners just so they could appease both current-gen and next-gen gamers. Because honestly, if this hadn't released on current-gen, it would have given me a long-awaited reason to finally get an Xbox One (seriously though, this name still bugs me... who is in charge of counting over at Microsoft?...)

emcee
05-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Im extremely satisfied. I prefer this editor to evo and the dlc will just make it better.

empecee
05-01-2014, 07:49 AM
editor is easy mode for people who cant make decent backgrounds .its all there just plonk it down .and as long as your doing a rock track or future your in luck .

emcee
05-01-2014, 08:09 AM
editor is easy mode for people who cant make decent backgrounds .its all there just plonk it down .and as long as your doing a rock track or future your in luck .

Thats not true imo. You can make really creative stuff in this editor. Some people just plonk it down but they did that in evo as well. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its 'easy mode', and you saying that undermines those builders who do spend a lot of time making good backgrounds as though anyonecan do it.

TeriXeri
05-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Editor is great, compared to Evo Gold (which missed a lot of code & primes etc. compared to xbox DLC).

Ok you gotta adapt a bit on the objects right now, for the lack of wood/rusted/destroyed objects (beside the nice ruin pieces), but still can get tracks out.

Aside from some of the major bugs (crashes, selection issues, overlay etc. ) on PC which I'm sure are worked on I am very happy with it, and knowing it will grow in content over time is good.

Can't really tell much from 6 small concept art piece but it looks like less futuristic stuff is coming. Hopefully they are big enough packs , including like new sounds/music and small objects.

noobaroniNcheez
05-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Editor is great, compared to Evo Gold (which missed a lot of code & primes etc. compared to xbox DLC).

Ok you gotta adapt a bit on the objects right now, for the lack of wood/rusted/destroyed objects (beside the nice ruin pieces), but still can get tracks out.

Aside from some of the major bugs (crashes, selection issues, overlay etc. ) on PC which I'm sure are worked on I am very happy with it, and knowing it will grow in content over time is good.

Can't really tell much from 6 small concept art piece but it looks like less futuristic stuff is coming. Hopefully they are big enough packs , including like new sounds/music and small objects.

I have to agree. I was a bit disappointed at first with the objects and stuff, but as I churn along on a few in progress tracks and figuring out where everything is, I'm happy for now. My only gripe is that I don't do a lot of outdoor themes so I'm a bit limited in that regard. Hopefully the upcoming DLC will sort that.

empecee
05-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Thats not true imo. You can make really creative stuff in this editor. Some people just plonk it down but they did that in evo as well. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its 'easy mode', and you saying that undermines those builders who do spend a lot of time making good backgrounds as though anyonecan do it.

what im saying is with all the pieces not being color able and massive and all looking the same . creative yes but still all looks the same . its pretty easy to make anything look good .and really hard to tell if you made an effort .tracks all look the same . even the vets builds im looking at them an having to figure out if they made custom stuff or just plonked. even if the track looks amazing . with evo you could tell straight away with pieces /colours /textures /rust everything . this game makes vets look good and average builders amazing .

emcee
05-01-2014, 10:32 AM
what im saying is with all the pieces not being color able and massive and all looking the same . creative yes but still all looks the same . its pretty easy to make anything look good .and really hard to tell if you made an effort .tracks all look the same . even the vets builds im looking at them an having to figure out if they made custom stuff or just plonked. even if the track looks amazing . with evo you could tell straight away with pieces /colours /textures /rust everything . this game makes vets look good and average builders amazing .

I see what you mean I guess I just think differently of it. I'm glad we dont have a legacy section with Evo pieces, I had totally had my fill of what was possible with the Evo editor personally speaking, in the end it really came down to driving line for me, and this is the same with fusion. If it's easier for new people to create a background thats one thing, but to make a decent driving line takes time and consideration, and that is still the same in fusion as it was in evolution.

We always had those tracks in Evo that had no love or time put into them, and still got RL picks etc (certain ones through personal friends as we both know too well), and that will also be the same in Fusion IMO. The main thing thats changed is the theme of the game, with evo being more realistic and fusion being far removed from that, which obviously makes that a personal preference and will hugely impact how people feel about what is possible in the editor and how much they like the game overall. My personal view on the new theme is I think it's great, a change in direction was needed that was big enough so that it didn't become Evo 1.5, which sure the core fans would probably appreciate, but that probably makes 1% tops of the total player base and doesn't make sense to do.

I like not being tied to reality, games can be an escape from that and there is enough in this editor (complexity wise too on next gen) to create a huge backdrop. Yes there needs to be more variation within that, which will come from DLC packs I'm sure of it, with a woodland themed one and a concrete one amongst others I'm sure there will be something for everyone by the end? I'm really pleased overall with the game, I have enjoyed it as much as I did with Evo when it came out, a few things are not ideal like the FMX, MP, Season Pass etc, but only one of those affects me and that will be fixed in time, so although I feel for the top riders and multiplayers, I'm neither and for me Fusion is well worth the 28 I paid for it. I paid a score for the new MGS and it lasted 20 minutes lol.

empecee
05-01-2014, 11:54 AM
I see what you mean I guess I just think differently of it. I'm glad we dont have a legacy section with Evo pieces, I had totally had my fill of what was possible with the Evo editor personally speaking, in the end it really came down to driving line for me, and this is the same with fusion. If it's easier for new people to create a background thats one thing, but to make a decent driving line takes time and consideration, and that is still the same in fusion as it was in evolution.

We always had those tracks in Evo that had no love or time put into them, and still got RL picks etc (certain ones through personal friends as we both know too well), and that will also be the same in Fusion IMO. The main thing thats changed is the theme of the game, with evo being more realistic and fusion being far removed from that, which obviously makes that a personal preference and will hugely impact how people feel about what is possible in the editor and how much they like the game overall. My personal view on the new theme is I think it's great, a change in direction was needed that was big enough so that it didn't become Evo 1.5, which sure the core fans would probably appreciate, but that probably makes 1% tops of the total player base and doesn't make sense to do.

I like not being tied to reality, games can be an escape from that and there is enough in this editor (complexity wise too on next gen) to create a huge backdrop. Yes there needs to be more variation within that, which will come from DLC packs I'm sure of it, with a woodland themed one and a concrete one amongst others I'm sure there will be something for everyone by the end? I'm really pleased overall with the game, I have enjoyed it as much as I did with Evo when it came out, a few things are not ideal like the FMX, MP, Season Pass etc, but only one of those affects me and that will be fixed in time, so although I feel for the top riders and multiplayers, I'm neither and for me Fusion is well worth the 28 I paid for it. I paid a score for the new MGS and it lasted 20 minutes lol.
fair comment . you like it . wile i dont hate it i just loved the dirt and grime that came with trials .made the game match its roots . i really hope the dlc gives me a chance to love it again .

emcee
05-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Yeah I think it will man. I reckon the initial look of the game is for the mass appeal, Gang Starr said it best :P

empecee
05-01-2014, 12:52 PM
if you like gangstarr you must know what an mpc is . ?

emcee
05-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Sure do man

empecee
05-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Sure do man
thats good . . x love primo dilla . and pete rock . ive met him .

emcee
05-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Legends mate. Cant forget buckwild in a list of all time greats, dont get me started ive been into this music since 11 years old...

empecee
05-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Legends mate. Cant forget buckwild in a list of all time greats, dont get me started ive been into this music since 11 years old...

i got sum belt drives and a tandy mixer in 85ish . old old skool.

emcee
05-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Haha I was 9 then, just a pre-b-boy!

apdenton1
05-01-2014, 04:38 PM
+Some new code panels; dynamic music event, object pointer etc.
+Object finder, layers, statistics overlay.
+Engine Improvements (graphics and physics most notably for me).
+File Size cap increase!!!

-Lack of assets compared to Evo + DLC (Sound sources, objects, effects, examples).
-Plenty new bugs in addition to the old (though some old have been fixed).
-Most lights turn off under extremely questionable conditions.
-Music choice: dubstep, dubstep, and dubstep (and it's subgenres or whatever).
-Still no option to disable B button, no way to insert text properly (though the letter objects help), no option to change input for A, B, X buttons.
-many miscellaneous object properties that could have been added but was not.

I was expecting more, but the four positives listed are big ones for me, which, whilst I am somewhat disappointed that more was not done, make me very happy. I'm not sure what to vote, content/neutral/disappointed! No vote from me :confused:

Still in the process of compiling my bug report/suggestions list. Another week it, and my Trials masterpiece, will be released. Unfortunately due to a lack of assets I won't build any more, but if big things are to come I may be enticed into coming back.
I have the skills, I should really be making a proper game (and ultimately money) than building mini-games, but I love that trials allows me to be a designer, programmer, level designer, and to a lesser degree 3D artist (lighting artist, engine interpolation/animation, creative use of objects to build new objects and so on), all on my own. Making games professionally is just not the same, you have your role to fill, and unless that role is project lead/producer/lead designer, the game is not your vision. Every single project I have worked on, it's always been my vision. I don't want to give up my creative freedom for money :(

nightstrikerPC
05-02-2014, 01:33 AM
I have the skills, I should really be making a proper game (and ultimately money) than building mini-games, but I love that trials allows me to be a designer, programmer, level designer, and to a lesser degree 3D artist (lighting artist, engine interpolation/animation, creative use of objects to build new objects and so on), all on my own. Making games professionally is just not the same, you have your role to fill, and unless that role is project lead/producer/lead designer, the game is not your vision. Every single project I have worked on, it's always been my vision. I don't want to give up my creative freedom for money :(
Well said, my friend... Exactly what's been hindering my progress towards pursuing a career in the gaming industry. Not to mention all of the money-grubbing and slimy tactics that seem to be trending amongst studios recently... I just can't seem to muster the enthusiasm to be part of that.

apdenton1
05-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Well said yourself. Business takes precedence over artistic expression by far for most. My whining about wanting to be project lead/loss of creative freedom is not important in comparison to this, after all you need a team to make a game from scratch at not everybody can be in lead positions. The truly great works have a solid vision and solid teamwork, and don't make ridiculous design compromises for the sake of money.
Indeed it's the way the industry operates these days that is most off-putting. You'll end up some publisher's ***** making soulless games, unless you get lucky.

emcee
05-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Its the same as the music industry, the tv industry etc. For every classic like the wire, there is a soap like emmerdale. Unfortunately ite the world we live in, got to make the most of the good stuff.

apdenton1
05-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Its the same as the music industry, the tv industry etc. For every classic like the wire, there is a soap like emmerdale. Unfortunately ite the world we live in, got to make the most of the good stuff.

The ratio of quality to trash was significantly different years back though. Also TV and Music doesn't have the ******** business practices, not quite as bad anyway. Only the video game industry gets away with copious ********. They get away with it because all the mugs (customers) let it happen. If it continues there won't be much good stuff to make the most of...

Believe me I make the most of the good stuff, but I'll damn well complain about the bad in between ;)

Imagine if season 2 of the wire DVD set released with missing advertised bonus content, and episodes 1 and 5 didn't work? Then they had the cheek to sell/advertise it to you again later. This wouldn't be put up with to this extent in any other industry.
The worst however is when a dev studio intentionally compromises design to appeal to a broad audience. Though this does happen in other industries too. Intentionally dumb products when it's been proven a team can do far better, it's sad.

On topic: Anyone have trouble with Global OPE? Multiple instances of screwy behaviour from OPE using global coordinates in my skill game. It works the first few times the event is called, then it just...stops. No other influences either. Almost certain is a bug.
It only seems to happen with OPE that are fed 1 impulse. An OPE with a constant flow of impulses works fine, but if, say an area trigger on hit to OPE, it just goes weird after repeated uses which makes no sense at all because it works the first few time/s and I've checked over all possible influences on my end.

Apollo_ll_Tex
05-03-2014, 03:12 AM

This.