PDA

View Full Version : Reflected Light

MonkyCMonkeyDo
04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Hey everyone,

New to the forum here but have been reading some posts the past few days and learning new things :)

I have a question regarding reflected light. I have an object in the background of my track, I have spotlights set on it that trigger on and off, it works great with one major issue. The light will only 'reflect' so far, so as I move away from the object the coloured lighting on it disappears. I really am not that far from the object either.

I have set the light range to the maximum of 50, this shines the light over 10 times further than I need if directed towards the camera, however when used to illuminate the object the range drops to less than half of what I need.

Are there any options here for how I can improve the range of the reflected light?

Many thanks :)

apdenton1
04-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Are there any options here for how I can improve the range of the reflected light?

No. You could try camera tricks (example: taking a photo from a certain perspective can make objects appear closer or further away than they really are) but other than that you're on your own.

MonkyCMonkeyDo
04-29-2014, 02:51 PM
I just solved the issue by switching away from the small spotlights, it must be a bug with them since the other lights quite happily reflect the light a huge distance.

apdenton1
04-29-2014, 02:59 PM
I just solved the issue by switching away from the small spotlights, it must be a bug with them since the other lights quite happily reflect the light a huge distance.

Oh, my bad. Well, you were on your own and you sorted it, good. I didn't think lights were of any use over x amount of distance. Tell me, can you see the lighting itself over this huge range or just the reflection? For me everything under "lights" category turns off after a few meters (except reflections apparently).
The only reliable lights for me are stadium lights, but they still do not cast light over x amount of distance.

MonkyCMonkeyDo
04-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Oh, my bad. Well, you were on your own and you sorted it, good. I didn't think lights were of any use over x amount of distance. Tell me, can you see the lighting itself over this huge range or just the reflection? For me everything under "lights" category turns off after a few meters (except reflections apparently).
The only reliable lights for me are stadium lights, but they still do not cast light over x amount of distance.

The lighting I am using in this situation is directional, the object is above and behind the rider and the lighting is basically illuminating the underside of some parts. Due to that the lighting doesn't point towards the rider at all. It is now set to a cut-off of four so wouldn't reach him anyway, however the light illuminating the object (reflected) is visible from a long way away.

The distance you can shine some lights seems reasonably far, but I guess what constitutes a huge range will be different for each person. I have a spotlight on the front of my object that does actually point to the rider and that seems to shine pretty far when the light settings are toggled to the max.