PDA

View Full Version : Why Should I bother with "The Crew"

AndyBorkowski
04-28-2014, 08:22 AM
Howdy folks!

I host a radio show all about gaming, and this week we have a rigorous debate regarding The Crew
(http://www.640toronto.com/2014/04/28/vgs-april-17th-can-ubisofts-the-crew-live-up-to-the-hype/)
Do you think the process can work? MMO style grinding introduced to a casual audience..

I really don't love to see why you guys like it!

DT-MadManCK
04-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Yeah, it does kinda s@cks when there is finally a Game, that does live up to most expectations. :D

Maybe it helps, working 7 years on a project, instead of cranking out a "new" game every year, dumbing down handling and options and actually pay attention to what the audience has to say instead of being a completely ignoring bunch of money draining nitwits with an attitude problem.

Just grab The Crew already and keep waisting airspace with those radio shows ;)

Pros:

Huge game world with a lot of variation to explore
Very good driving model
Refreshing new approach to driving games

Cons:

Lack of realism for cockpit drivers (no working mirrors and other details)
Only headphone communication
Sessions with max of 8 players (4 in a Crew).

PS Car doors can not come off, because car manufacturers won't allow that ;)
And your character is a guy with a beard, lol.
Ex-con gets second chance by FBI woman kind of cheesy storyline.

Vagelis4VP
04-28-2014, 12:35 PM
...so the character is only one?.... it would be good to have at least a few variations, like in TDU games... also it would be good, if the driver could go out of the car and walk on foot, but expert on kung fu like the rest of the npc characters, so he would not get rammed by passing traffic, or other players.

KIng_4000
04-28-2014, 12:52 PM
If you like walking on foot, i suggest not playing any more racing games....

- On toc though, what racing game exists out there, that has all this? NONE... So it might work, or it might be a failure, but we all have faith in Ivory Tower, and their interresting game!

DT-MadManCK
04-28-2014, 01:27 PM
...so the character is only one?.... it would be good to have at least a few variations, like in TDU games... also it would be good, if the driver could go out of the car and walk on foot, but expert on kung fu like the rest of the npc characters, so he would not get rammed by passing traffic, or other players.

I think they took that aspect way too far in TDU2, with a plastic surgeon and hairdresser.

For me they can place this prison Joe behind the wheel, don't really care, but it would be nice if there were a few options, like male/female and race for example.
But AFAIK there is only one character. :cool:

Memory_Kill
04-28-2014, 02:36 PM
I don't see your third point as a "con", if they had more, they would of had to cut back a LOT of other major features and to be honest, you don't want to be surrounded by 100's of others players all crashing into each other and clogging up roads and it just being this ugly spam of people driving like morons, you want a REFINED and streamlined game, so 4 in a crew and "8 players visible at any one time" makes for this, therefore, i see it as a pro, not a con.

The headphone coms thing they could, and hopefully will, change to add TEXT CHAT and for the love of god a "mics off" by default and NOT "always on" eek, that's a scary thought.

As for the mirrors, again agreed, but it's something they could add later possibly if not just for PC, but there is nothing wrong with a virtual mirror instead for now, i'd be happy with that.

My biggest CON is no custom controls on gamepads/wheels which i feel like is a massively massively poor decision. Speaking of which MadManCK, i assume this was still the case ofc otherwise you would of said?...but what about keyboard controls? Can you edit the keyboard controls? I would assume so, if you, that would be great as i'll just use xPadder to assign the functions to my preferences :).

DT-MadManCK
04-28-2014, 02:59 PM
During the playtest you were able to map the controls differently. :cool:
I know a few people that like to play the way you do, more like a remote car, with the right stick as throttle/brake.

I think groups of players up to 12 can be done, 8 is on the low side. But everybody is constant online, you ony see 7 more players.
Bigger Crews can be more fun IMO. Not a big CON, indeed.

Memory_Kill
04-28-2014, 03:07 PM
During the playtest you were able to map the controls differently. :cool:
I know a few people that like to play the way you do, more like a remote car, with the right stick as throttle/brake.

I think groups of players up to 12 can be done, 8 is on the low side. But everybody is constant online, you ony see 7 more players.
Bigger Crews can be more fun IMO. Not a big CON, indeed.

Wait...what?! Are you saying you CAN remap gamepads?! OMG, you should of mentioned this! Thank god for that! This is a massive deal dude!!

YEAH EXACTLY, i know a few people who play it like, lol "remote car" as you call it because they have muscle difficulties in there hands (and me i just prefer it, grown up with it since PS2 days), with the right thumb stick up down acclerate/brake and R2/L2 for shifting gears...this is EXACTLY what I wanted to know if they had changed! Why no official annoucement?! WOO, so happy!

*calms down*

Ahh, that''s the last of worries then. But yeah with numbers i seriously think it's due to keeping the game streamlined, perhaps they could steadily increase it in updates? Maybe up 12 or more, guess we'll just have to see how the hardware reacts.

DT-MadManCK
04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
gamepads are really fully customizable now?.

I don't know if they will be customizable for all plaforms, but in the developers version i played, you could map the shifting to the buttons on the front, instead of the default shifting right stick for example.
PC version will most likely have most customizing options. If the Consoles will have a fixed layout has to made clear later, when optimizing for all platforms is done.

It would make sense to allow custom mapping for all platforms.:cool:

AngryNeox
04-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Ahh, that''s the last of worries then. But yeah with numbers i seriously think it's due to keeping the game streamlined, perhaps they could steadily increase it in updates? Maybe up 12 or more, guess we'll just have to see how the hardware reacts.
I think our problem is that what if we want to do a 20 man race. It's alright that it's limit to 8 when driving arround 'alone', but it would be really nice to be able to race with 20+ in a instanced world. Imagine a race from coast to coast with so many cars!

Memory_Kill
04-28-2014, 04:52 PM
I don't know if they will be customizable for all plaforms, but in the developers version i played, you could map the shifting to the buttons on the front, instead of the default shifting right stick for example.
PC version will most likely have most customizing options. If the Consoles will have a fixed layout has to made clear later, when optimizing for all platforms is done.

It would make sense to allow custom mapping for all platforms.:cool:

Oh right, I thought you guys played onthe PC version? Or what is a PS4 dev kit version? Well yeah, the PC version must have fully remappable controls, damn, I thought you'd 100% confirmed it xD! Oh well, hopefully they will realise this is so important, and allow to all platforms.

DT-MadManCK
04-28-2014, 05:07 PM
The developer version will later be optimized for all platforms. Different choices will be made for each platform.

Back OT: The combination of an RPG with a Car game maybe sounds strange at first, but works pretty well IMO. The constant flow of XP, cash and parts, that you can either fit directly or store for use later, keeps you going.
Also the instant starts of missions, challenges and races is unique for The Crew.

The guy who played the game skipped a lot of useful info in that interview. :eek:

And you can switch off all interaction and just drive around with friends, making the Crew the ultimate cruising game as well.

Purple44
04-30-2014, 07:42 AM
I'm worry how this will work for the online racing. If I go host a race and don't have a bunch of Steam friends to invite to race, will anybody see that I'm hosting a race if map only show you 7 other players? Or does the map show everybody online, like TDU2, but will only see 7 other players while cursing or racing? Is there a racing only map like TDU2 where you could checkout all the race locations on the map to see if anybody was there racing?

And are the races only crew against crew races, 4vs4 or can you have 8 player races,1vs7 other players?

DT-MadManCK
04-30-2014, 08:11 AM
You can select the type of events you want to do in the options menu.

You will automatically hook up with (steam) friends first, but can also interact with others. Julian Gerighty has mentioned a few things in interviews about that.

There are filters to use on the map as well.

What i found funny about this Radio interview, is that the guy who went to play, Patrick O’Rourke, wasn't even a racer himself, but did enjoy himself by playing The Crew. That shows that the game even appeals to non Die Hard racers as well.:cool: