PDA

View Full Version : Req: Balance for Soul reaver and Banshee

valrond1
04-25-2014, 04:45 PM
We all agree that Necro is OP in the current meta, and that is because cards that should belong in open were left in standard. Those cards are Soul reaver and The Banshee.
Soul reaver is a spell that requires 4 magic and costs 4, and it just kills almost any creature in the game. Let's compare it to other similar spells in other magic schools with similar effects and cost. And what do we found? Only lightning bolt (in standard), it has the same cost and same requirements, BUT it only does 6 damage to a creature, which means: you don't kill creatures with more than 6 life, and it is affected by magic resist and magic shield, and neither do anything vs Soul reaver, only dark ward, which was left out of standard.
So, as it is a clearly superior card, it should have either an increase in cost or requirements. I think it should increase its cost by 1 and cost 5.
Now, The Banshee is basically a Soul reaver and a cost 2 creature in one, so it should cost 7 instead of 6.

Your thoughts?

AmineM2
04-25-2014, 08:31 PM
We all agree that Necro is OP

Well, you are wrong. We all don't agree.

It's Inferno's Deleb who rules the game at the moment. The deck is a bit expensive, but in next few weeks Deleb will strike with full strength as people will be able to collect all the cards needed..

Necro is cheaper. Inferno is better. And neither is OP.

npavcec
04-25-2014, 10:03 PM
I do not agree that Necro is OP in any format (except maybe BS2 only - but thats weekly that will end soon and come back in maybe half of year). Necro decks are cheap and easy to play, thats why people flock and play them. They give relatively stable results (in the lower competition tiers), but I can tell you, they are far from being OP or dominant. I am at 50% in Champion II (top 1000 ppl in monthly ranking) and maybe 20% of the decks are Necro.. the rest are Inferno, Stronghold, Sancuary and Academy. Haven is a bit weakish.. but I think they will eventually come up, once people figure out this new "retaliation" perks of their.

Anyways, Soulreaver and Banshee are the core of pretty much every Necro deck, so it is natural to conclude they are the source of "the problem", but actually, they are very balanced and come with a decent cost for what they do - 4 and 6 resources.

Necro is also the easiest deck to counter - you need 2-3 Day of Sanctuary events (to protect your core creatures) and 1-2 Day of Necromancer (to banish Banshee or 1-2 boneyard cards), and thats about it. If you have a decent deck in any other faction - you can beat the best possible Necro deck.

In the open format the necro decks are probably the weakest three factions.

Syhd.
04-27-2014, 06:02 AM
I believe the requirement of banshee should be 4magic and 4 fortune

malkorion
04-27-2014, 09:58 AM
I believe the requirement of banshee should be 4magic and 4 fortune

Its effect has nothing to do with Destiny. It's basically a Soulreaver stapled to a small creature.

Vengyre
04-27-2014, 11:22 AM
So, as it is a clearly superior card
Not rly, you can power up your Shantiri Titan or play it without killing your creature if you're forced to.

Atban06
04-28-2014, 05:02 PM
We all agree that Necro is OP in the current meta

This is why I hate and why don't play standard anymore. I just got bored of OP boneyard, OP creatures(vampire knight, archlich, banshee) Those cards are OP only in standard. I don't think the soul reaver is OP, but the banshee is OP.

GeeKneeUsKing
04-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Whoever made Soul reaver
Made it thoughtlessly.

Such a simple effect. frankly it caps the meta to be based on 3cost drops.

Anyway, banshee should stay as it is.
But soul reaver should be tweeked.

"Soul reaver costs just as much as the creature it destroys."

Papa_Nurgle
04-28-2014, 11:14 PM
I do not agree that Necro is OP in any format (except maybe BS2 only - but thats weekly that will end soon and come back in maybe half of year).

Oh yeah? With the new weekly format I haven't seen a single solitary non-necropolis deck. Explain that!

malkorion
04-29-2014, 05:50 AM
Oh yeah? With the new weekly format I haven't seen a single solitary non-necropolis deck. Explain that!

It's an all necro weekly format. What's your point? (I mean, you can use Necro only!)

Revalon
04-29-2014, 10:00 AM

Well, npavcec talked about the last weekly, which was BS2 only, while you probably talk about the one we have since yesterday, which is necro cards only. So it's easy to explain why you only meet necro decks (would be strange if not).

NagiShaman
04-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Banshee isnt op, Soul raever also isnt op but, Soul reaver bloks players form playing creatures with cost 4 or more so it have much influence on curent meta

Papa_Nurgle
04-29-2014, 03:22 PM
It's an all necro weekly format. What's your point? (I mean, you can use Necro only!)

Well, npavcec talked about the last weekly, which was BS2 only, while you probably talk about the one we have since yesterday, which is necro cards only. So it's easy to explain why you only meet necro decks (would be strange if not).

Yes, that was the joke...

Revalon
04-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Yes, that was the joke...

Sorry then, should have seen it as it's you, but I saw so much idiocy and unknowing in the internet that I'm never sure.

valrond1
05-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Banshee isnt op, Soul raever also isnt op but, Soul reaver bloks players form playing creatures with cost 4 or more so it have much influence on curent meta

That's the thing, both banshee and soul reaver kill ANY CREATURE unless it has dark ward (very few) or magic ward (not shield). And that's it. Doesn't matter if it costs 1 or 8. You don't usually spend a soul reaver in a 1-2 cost card, but those cards are one of the main reasons people barely play fatties. Increasing the cost to 5 would make it less efficient, or it could depend on the cost of the creature.

budynzmajonezem
05-02-2014, 03:46 AM
Soulreaver is not the main reason fatties don't see any play in this game. They all are just not that good to be worth playing instead of two lesser, but not much worse creatures. Some are played just because they have good come into play effect (Banshee, most uniques). Would you prefer to have one Pit Lord on board or two Juggernauts?
Soulreaver is healthy for the game, because sometimes you have no other way to deal with e.g. Raya or Zefiria. It's also one of the few tools in Necro to deal with other factions' superior creatures. And they can't increase the cost because Enthrall, which has always better effect, already costs 5.

Necro was not op before patch and is not op now in Standard. Inferno and Stronghold are great, Sanctuary also has some good decks, it's just the other factions that don't have any good cards in this format (Haven is extremally weak).

Vengyre
05-05-2014, 10:26 AM
which has always better effect
Not always! Shadow image/Cursed Bound target or just bounce and play again.