PDA

View Full Version : The noobiest question you ever read!

ViralVince
04-24-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm new. First AC game is black flag.

When I'm walking about, every time (every time...all the time...incessantly) I pass by a NPC there's a strange graphic effect; It's clearly something to do with the Animus, but I don't get it.. I wan't to know what it is. I've read the manual, I've searched the internet, I've looked at youtube, but no one seems to think it's worth mentioning what the hell this is. Can someone let me know what I'm clearly just meant to know please.

pacmanate
04-24-2014, 07:51 PM
It means you are hidden

Kirokill
04-24-2014, 08:04 PM
By blending with the civilians, guards shouldn't be suspicious at you. But it is some kind of broken in AC4.

ViralVince
04-24-2014, 08:05 PM
It means you are hidden

So if I managed to keep pace with them I'd be hidden you mean? The effect I'm seeing even occurs if I'm standing still and they walk past me, and so there would be only 100ms of being hidden, but I still see the 'triangley' effect. Thanks for the help by the way.

frodrigues55
04-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the series :o

AC plays with the concept of "social stealth", which basically means that you are better hidden when you are just one of the crowd; a person walking the streets doing nothing extraordinary.

So of you are walking among people, you won't call attention. The effect you are seeing is to say you are blended with others.

This way, guards won't take notice of you. And yes, if you manage to keep pace with them, even if you walk in front of guards they won't see anything peculiar about you.

When you are standing still and people walk by you, you are hidden during just by that brief moment. As soon as they leave, you are exposed.

Fatal-Feit
04-25-2014, 11:01 AM
It's really annoying and breaks immersion, doesn't it? One of my biggest draws from AC:IV. Hopefully AC:Comet and Unity continues AC:3's dynamic stealth. But if they DO plan on having it return...please, PLEASE, allow it to be disabled on PC.

Locopells
04-25-2014, 11:21 AM
It's also been around (in one form or another) since ACI. which is why no one talks much about, in case you were wondering, OP.

Fatal-Feit
04-25-2014, 11:26 AM
It's also been around (in one form or another) since ACI. which is why no one talks much about, in case you were wondering, OP.

AC:1 did not have it.

frodrigues55
04-25-2014, 12:29 PM
AC:1 did not have it.

Well, he did say blending with the crowd has been around "in one form or another", so technically, AC1 had it with the schoolars. It was way more restricted, but still, a form of blending with people passing by. Perharps that's what he meant...

Locopells
04-25-2014, 02:25 PM
That's it in a nutshell. I don't think AC1 had any visual distortions when blending, but it was there, nevertheless.

AherasSTRG
04-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Even if a single NPC walks by you, you become hidden. In AC4, the more people are around you, the "more hidden" you are. But the mechanic does not seem to work properly.

STDlyMcStudpants
04-25-2014, 06:55 PM
It's really annoying and breaks immersion, doesn't it? One of my biggest draws from AC:IV. Hopefully AC:Comet and Unity continues AC:3's dynamic stealth. But if they DO plan on having it return...please, PLEASE, allow it to be disabled on PC.

Odd... for me it actually enhances immersion.. it draws you in and forces you to pay attention

Assassin_M
04-25-2014, 07:24 PM
I'v seen noobier