PDA

View Full Version : Numbers/Letters missing pick value object?? Why?

Rishaanvb
04-24-2014, 06:26 PM
So I'm playing around with the editor and I was trying to make some kind of a matrix-like background. With all the numbers and stuff. My goal was to let them randomly change while moving vertically across the screen in a loop by linking the variations 0 till 9 to a random data source(the one with the dice) It's in dutch for me so I don't know if the translation is correct. But you can't choose 'pick value object' for that?
Am I missing something?

-Rishaan

Lukeyy19
04-24-2014, 06:43 PM
you'll want to use a Variation Event, I think you can tie the Random Data Source to the Variation Event, and then you'll need an Interval Trigger triggering the Variation Event at the same interval as the random number is changing.

Rishaanvb
04-24-2014, 07:44 PM
you'll want to use a Variation Event, I think you can tie the Random Data Source to the Variation Event, and then you'll need an Interval Trigger triggering the Variation Event at the same interval as the random number is changing.

I'm not in the editor right now, but I believe I already tried that and the variation event also can't be tied. That's what you mean right?

Thank you though.

edit: just checked it and it can't be done.

BMXBandit777
04-24-2014, 07:49 PM
I was sure I had something for this but just been and checked and there just isn't the option to select the variation value on either the letter or a variation event. I can think of another way of doing this but the complexity would probably Max out with the number of letters required. You could probably do the first bit with just a few lines of matrix code running down screen but I don't think it could take the full wall of changing code but it would be pretty cool!

Rishaanvb
04-24-2014, 07:57 PM
I was sure I had something for this but just been and checked and there just isn't the option to select the variation value on either the letter or a variation event. I can think of another way of doing this but the complexity would probably Max out with the number of letters required. You could probably do the first bit with just a few lines of matrix code running down screen but I don't think it could take the full wall of changing code but it would be pretty cool!

I don't understand why they would remove the option to pick value object from object variations..

There is the possibility to chain a lot of variation events with an impulse delay between each, but the change of variations won't be infinite and the chain would be too long for the editor. Tried that too.

BMXBandit777
04-24-2014, 08:19 PM
How about :

Interval trigger ~ [connected to switch filter]. Interval sets variation speed.

Random data source ~ switch filter( 3 for values 1-9 ) ~ 9 variation events all targeting object/number/letter.

Just tried this and it works but requires quite a few variation events :)

Rishaanvb
04-24-2014, 08:46 PM
How about :

Random data source ~ switch filter( 3 for values 1-9 ) ~ 9 variation events all targeting object/number/letter.

I'll give it a try when I get back to the editor. Never tried playing with switch filters before, so that'll be fun. :)
But I can see how that will work if I'm correct about how those switch filters work.

Lukeyy19
04-24-2014, 08:49 PM
How about :

good god, to create a matrix effect background with every number requiring 9 filters and 9 variation events would be ridiculous, especially if you use letters, thats 26 filters and variation events a piece.

Rishaanvb
04-24-2014, 08:53 PM
good god, to create a matrix effect background with every number requiring 9 filters and 9 variation events would be ridiculous, especially if you use letters, thats 26 filters and variation events a piece.

isn't there that new function in the editor where you can combine logic into one function to free up space. Will try to search for the thread about that one. Mutetus explained it in that thread. If I understood that correctly than you'll just have to create one sequence.

edit: here it is the thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/871536-Questions-Extract-Function-amp-Set-Vector)

Oh.. wait. you said that..

nvm.. in said thread there is a mention of not being able to include triggers/events in that.

Thanks guys, but I think I'll just wait hoping they will include the option to pick value object in variations in a patch or something..