PDA

View Full Version : Track stuttering with little to no FPS drop?

Mentality15
04-20-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm working on a level with a completely built from scratch 3D environment that is definitely putting the higher object limit through its paces. The problem i'm having is as i'm filling in the blank spaces with details i am noticing a sort of stuttering, but according the stats overlay i'm still getting 56-58 frames during that stuttering. Another key reason why i'm having such a problem is the track isn't a straight line and it turns and looks at basically the entire rest of the level.

It is really odd as it looks bad but i haven't noticed it affecting my riding. Also i've been constantly trying to optimize my track by removing unnecessary parts.

So my question is if anyone else is seeing a similar issue (visual performance issue but no big frame rate drop?). What i am trying to create is definitely ambitious compared to evo on the number of small detail objects you can see from a large distance.

UPDATE: Fixed the problem. It was caused by having 4 stadium lights in fairly close proximity all set on dynamic lighting. After changing them to static the FPS never drops below 60 and the weird stuttering no longer happens. The shadow they cast was cool but having a smooth performance is much more important. (it is odd that those were the only four non-natural light sources in the track and caused an issue)

-The visible light stat was consistently green by the way

Barrybarfly
04-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Glad you fixed it!

Purely out of interest, I wonder if you could disable a couple of those lights and replace the light using a point light (better performance as NO shadows) and then return one or more of the stadium lights to dynamic in order to keep the shadow effect you liked? Just a thought, be interested to hear what you think and what the results are if you try it.

BlastergamerX
04-21-2014, 12:31 PM
I think in the statistic overlay the max lights are 2 or 3, and you put 4, so that was the problem.

mutetus
04-21-2014, 02:35 PM
The meters being green is not a guarantee of the track running smoothly, just like the complexity bar is more of a reference, but they do help a great deal placing things consistently along the track, especially keeping the object count reasonable for each scene, keeping track of dynamic modifications you might forget to switch off after using them and seeing how long the effect particles really are "alive". Each meter roughly represents more like a safety level of each category, but things like particles and light rendering weighs more in the overall performance than the others. I think you can use more lights than in Evo now, but it's all about the entity. Also tweak the shadow /scenery draw distances to optimum levels if you're planning to use more lights.

Mentality15
04-22-2014, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the reply's, i understand those stats aren't 100% accurate limitations but i just wanted to point that out as it took me a while to try messing with the light settings. The reason i tried changing them is it started to have performance issues when i approached them but oddly acted fine once i was in the center of all 4 and going past them.

Barry, i did try changing one of them, then two and still had a slight performance drop. Also the way they are set-up is there is two on either side, so having the dynamic light only show from one side would just look strange since there is light from multiple angles.