PDA

View Full Version : Startlingly Poor Performance

bazokajoe_2k
04-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi there,

I picked up Trials Fusion today and gave the beta a whirl. I was quite surprised at how poor the performance was. Looking through the forums it seems like it's not unknown, but I thought I'd share my experience here just to have another documented case.

First, my specs. I'm running in Windows 8.1 on a Late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro:

2.3GHz "Haswell/Crystalwell" Intel Core i7 (4850HQ)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
2GB NVidia Geforce GT 750m (Running driver version 335.23 March 10, 2014)
Running off a 512GB SSD (PCIe)

I'm attempting to run the game at 1440x900, which this machine should be able to do without problems. I've tried most of the graphics presets to see how they impact performance and have found that they all suffer from poor performance with the higher settings getting hit harder. Tweaking individual settings it seems like some of the biggest culprits are shadows, ambient occlusion and particles.

The game generally runs at 60FPS, but will relatively frequently dip into the 30-40FPS range. It is more frequent on tracks that others have mentioned such as Turbine Terror, Deep Freeze, the marina level, etc. Pretty much any level with a lot of particles or shadows seems to suffer substantially. Slowdowns exist sporadically while playing on any level, though, the aforementioned ones are just ones that suffer more.

And as others have mentioned, when the frame rate drops, so does the game spe e e e d a s w e l l. Menus also suffer from the slowdown.

I'm new, so I can't compare this to any earlier versions on this computer. Hopefully this information can help and feel free to let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

Tully__
04-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately, laptop GPU's have very limited performance compared to desktop machines with the "same" series number. In fact, according to Ubisoft support https://support.ubi.com/en-gb/FAQ.aspx?platformid=9&brandid=2010&productid=4293&faqid=kA030000000edoOCAQ :(

** SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT TIME OF RELEASE:
Nvidia GeForce: GTS 450 or higher 400/500/600/700series
ATI Radeon: HD 5770 or higher 5000/6000/7000/8000/R7/R9 series

Laptop models of these cards may work but are not supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game.

bazokajoe_2k
04-17-2014, 02:12 PM
I'm aware of that, but the 750m outperforms some of the supported desktop graphics cards. In addition, the fact that the game will run rock solid at 60FPS and then dip randomly by 20-30FPS also supports the idea that it's the game, not my graphics chip. Thirdly, the fact that all my problems have been documented on this forum with everything from 400-series chips to dual 660Ti setups also makes me think it's not my chip point towards a problem not exclusive to a laptop graphics chip. Anecdotally, I can run games that are significantly more graphically challenging on this computer with no problems at all. I find it very difficult to believe that Trials Fusion is a more graphically demanding game than Crysis 3 or Battlefield 4.

Everything about the problem points towards optimization problems or...well whatever it is that has locked the game's speed to the frame rate.

I just thought I'd share my setup since I'm running into the exact same problems many others are. Thanks for the quick response, though.

Tully__
04-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Thank you very much for the feedback :)

bazokajoe_2k
04-17-2014, 04:44 PM
No problem at all! When the game runs at 60FPS it's an absolute joy to play. Even if they figured out why the game speed slows down with a dipping frame rate the game would end up eminently playable for me. 40FPS is by no means an unplayable frame rate, but having a precision game like Trials oscillating between 100% speed and 66% speed...that kind of is :)

bazokajoe_2k
04-20-2014, 02:51 AM
Just as a follow-up; I completed all the tracks in the beta last night and most of them ran at a solid 60FPS at 1440x900 and normal settings. It really is just a handful of tracks (most of which others have mentioned problems with) that has the frame-rate tanking. If the game speed didn't slow down with the frame-rate it wouldn't even really be noticeable since my FPS never dropped below 40, but since it does it's quite disruptive.

sebastianaalton
04-20-2014, 05:22 AM
Have you tried turning vsync off. On my GeForce 650M laptop the game judders a lot when vsync is used but is butter smooth without (I play at 1600x900 with "normal" settings). There is a few slow down in places that have lots of foliage. Without foliage it has been so far always 60 fps. We are going to add an option to enable/disable foliage (default off on low settings).

sebastianaalton
04-20-2014, 05:37 AM
It might also be that the game is using your integrated GPU instead of the GeForce. That kind of performance is expected from the integrated Intel Iris Pro 5200. We are investigating why this bug happens for some players

bazokajoe_2k
04-20-2014, 07:06 PM
"Fortunately" for me, when running a Mac through Boot Camp in Windows 8.1, it doesn't detect the integrated Intel graphics chip. It means the battery life is miserable, but I don't have to worry about using the less powerful chip! So I'm definitely running on the 750m. Thanks for the further response.