PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughly Disappointed with Launch

Ch4er0n
04-16-2014, 04:29 AM
Believe it or not, Frontier full launched the other day. I would fault no-one for not knowing as anyone who participated in soft release is still, for all intents and purposes, stuck in soft release. I get that it is a technical issue that should be fixed some time (no date yet, come on) in the future, but that does not make it any less frustrating for those of us unable to progress. That is not the point of this post however, which is in fact purposed to comment on some features of the game that have been implemented in a sub-par, or even broken state.

A.N.B.A
This is a pretty cool idea. Unfortunately to get it to work this patch the advice from the forums was to sync progress from server, not keep your local game. I did this, and it cost me 20k and 10 hours of progression. Sux. I also desperately wish it gave me more than 5 tracks. Seriously, all I get is Wall Crack, Road to Ruin, Firefly Landing, and The Trebuchet. Prior to "full release" all I got was Burning Bushes, Mushroom Heights, Backyard Catwalk, and Smuggler's Tunnel. I currently have 62 tracks unlocked and playable, with the potential for another 6 if I ever manage to get a tier 3 bike. That means for me, and for a number of other riders who have voiced the same complaint here, that ANBA is only utilizing 7% of the tracks! What is silly is it should be relatively easy to code in a failsafe for this. After doing an ANBA mission on a specific track, have it removed from the pool of tracks ANBA can choose from for 5-10 rounds, depending on the level of variety desired within the ANBA missions. One last more minor complaint: given my current ranking on almost all track leaderboards, ANBA will always pair me with someone top 10. This is fine, but occasionally I will get paired with a truly epic world record (example of this is getting paired with Xzamplez on Firefly Landing). I know I cannot beat this (as of yet). I ground the piss out of this track to get plat, and Xzamplez is still almost a full second ahead of me. All of this would be fine, since there is a skip button. The problem is the skip button is not there until you play the track once. With gas being a relatively scarce resource, it would be a great quality of life enhancement to have the skip button show up initially, and be able to avoid having to run through the track once just to be able to unveil the skip and move to a new challenge.

Track Rewards: Gold and Parts
I'm really surprised I have to go over this, I figured after the first big content patch in soft launch this was sorted out, alas no. This game is not time limited; it is fuel limited. As such track rewards need to reflect the fuel required to play them, not the length of the track. Way back Urban Jungle gave approximately twice as much gold per gas as any other track, and it was nerfed to a similar level to most of the other tracks. Instead of having all tracks give roughly the same amount of gold, other tracks shuffled into the money spot. Currently Ghost Town and Pipe Basin give approximately 1.5x more gold per gas than any other tracks in the game. This leads to a bit of a problem. Gold is another very scarce resource, and is constantly being gobbled up in vast quantities by bike upgrades. Naturally people are going to want to maximize how much gold they get. This means playing anything other than Pipe Basin or Ghost Town is an inefficient use of gas, except if you need parts (more on this later). Gold rewards need to be made more uniform to make playing all tracks more appealing (looking at you The Cave: 40 gold per run? srs?). Edit: I should make it known that I would like to see all tracks be brought to a level comparable to that of Pipe Basin and Ghost Town, not to see these tracks nerfed. Perhaps this should be tied into the level system, and at low levels tracks should give less, and at higher levels all tracks should be comparable to Pipe Basin/Ghost Town, but more on that below.

If gold rewards are homogenized across all tracks, what is left to determine what you play? Personal preference and enjoyment, and crafting materials. As it stands now, a great deal of the tracks feature the same set of crafting materials as rewards (ie. Smuggler's Tunnel, Parched Cliff, Steeple Run, and Market Street all offer nut, plate, sprocket and washer). However, if I am short chains, springs, sprockets and rings, there is no one track I can play that would allow me to shore up low numbers of these materials. Essentially this boils down to a combinatorics problem. How many ways can I pick 4 things from 10? The answer is 210, which is more combinations than there are tracks, meaning there is no reason for reward sets ever to be duplicated!

If these two things were sorted out, we could play tracks we like, and tracks that would give us the best potential to get items we need, all while maintaining the same level of efficiency as playing any other track. To me, this sounds great.

Leaderboards
I'm afraid the quote has been lost in this mess of a new forum we have, but to paraphrase: "Leaderboards should work as they do in Evolution." To elaborate, score is based off medal, fault factor, and time. This means that improving one's times beyond achieving platinum/0 fault actually makes a difference to score, and leaderboard position. Currently in Frontier, this is not the case. A flat 3 million score is awarded for a platinum medal. This means that there is no distinction between someone who has simply finished the game, and someone who has every single world record. Currently the issue is not overly noticeable, as few people have managed to platinum all available tracks (exacerbated by ANBA not working for many people inhibiting their ability to unlock tracks). However, as time progresses the top of the leaderboard will fill up with people all at exactly the same score. With such a system in place, there is no incentive for competition whatsoever.

The Level System
I'm going to paraphrase here again from another lost quote when I say that leveling up should give you more gold per checkpoint, and give you more influence on the wheel at the end of a track when you press on the part you want to get. Boy was this news to me when I first heard it. Looking back I can see the influence on the wheel, but gold per checkpoint? What is it, 1 extra gold per 10 levels gained? Whatever effect is has is unbelievably miniscule. I think this is a pretty cool mechanic, but in its current form, it is totally irrelevant. As a side note, I am currently working on getting enough gold for the last two upgrades for my Bronco. They cost 210k and 200k respectively. If I get 255 gold from Pipe Basin, I have to play that track 785 times for one upgrade. That's 5495 gas, and at 3 minutes per gas, 275 hours. That is a long time for one tier 1 upgrade. I will note this number is alleviated by the slot machine, but still, the numbers add up fast.

Quests
Lastly I will touch on what I opened this post on: progression. Everyone who participated in soft launch would love to keep moving forward. We cannot as it stands. We would love an estimated time of when we might be able to. fin

TL;DR
ANBA needs fixing: more variety of track missions
Gold rewards need to be equal between tracks
Crafting materials reward sets should not be duplicated across different tracks
Leaderboards feature a broken system, and should be based on time, not medals
Gameplay bonuses from level increase are insignificant in their current form
Progression is fun

xzamplez
04-16-2014, 05:00 AM
Yeah, what he said!

ANBA simply needs to be randomized. I had to skip against Dumptruck, Chaeron, Mati, and Jinduh on Road to Ruin over 10 times! That's over 100 gems! And it was only because I thought I'd be able to unlock the Berzerker, which I CAN'T.

I beat my Firefly Landing btw. Muahaha!

xitooner
04-16-2014, 05:11 AM
Naturally people are going to want to maximize how much gold they get. This means playing anything other than Pipe Basin or Ghost Town is an inefficient use of gas
I was wondering if this might ever get mentioned; I was afraid if it came up that RL would correct this "mistake". . but not in our favor, if you know what I mean. Its a small amount, but its the only break this game gives. . . . :)

Lastly I will touch on what I opened this post on: progression. Everyone who participated in soft launch would love to keep moving forward. We cannot as it stands. We would love an estimated time of when we might be able to. fin

We do have an estimate from a trials developer (for the ANBA fix) on page 2 of the "Robot quest cannot be accepted" thread. Its going to be a while....
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/869681-Robot-quest-can-not-be-accepted

I agree on many of your points; I know its a risk to be a beta-tester, but this is the only time its ever really cost me. Uggh.

REDL1NKup
04-16-2014, 05:37 AM
You know what would also make the game better for those of us who grind on a single track for bettering our time by 10ths of a second. Having a quick restart button instead of having to hold that back arrow for a second or two. Let's be real no one goes halfway thru a track and messes up and just goes back to last check point. We start from the beggining. It's kinda of a picky thing but it would be cool for me and other top score hunters.

Ch4er0n
04-16-2014, 05:49 AM
You know what would also make the game better for those of us who grind on a single track for bettering our time by 10ths of a second. Having a quick restart button instead of having to hold that back arrow for a second or two. Let's be real no one goes halfway thru a track and messes up and just goes back to last check point. We start from the beggining. It's kinda of a picky thing but it would be cool for me and other top score hunters.

absolutely, and it would be simple to implement. just add a toggle in the menu to turn a single tap of the back button to mean restart and ta-da! you have it. i seriously doubt this will be implemented tho

Ch4er0n
04-16-2014, 05:54 AM
I beat my Firefly Landing btw. Muahaha!

Well played sir :D

Nytmair
04-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Great post. I (sadly) agree with all your points.

In terms of my Frontier game... I am still on the soft launch release. I was very excited for april 10th, but NOTHING changed on that date.

All I have been able to do for the past little while is to play the slot machine, and grind on levels using up my fuel to gain XP and measly gold.. Sigh...

RedLynxSwan
04-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Hello everyone,

Ch4er0n, thanks a lot for the in-depth discussion of the different features, it's great, and very helpful, to hear well thought out posts from people who've really invested time into the game. It's really appreciated.

I can't go into detail on each of your points right now, but just a few quick notes:

1. With the upcoming "patch" we will be addressing the ANBA track selection issue in exactly the way you mention above. While we don't go full random we will make sure to not cycle the same tracks repeatedly. This issue at it's core stems from medal times that are not all perfectly tuned, something which never directly impacted any feature in past trials game. We are tuning medal requirement times constantly as well which will improve this issue.

2. Gold - I actually had not realized that two of the tracks are now rewarding more than all the others, TIME TO NERF IT! (jk, not going to nerf those tracks, maybe we can boost all tracks up a bit as you suggest)

3. Parts - This is actually a bit more complicated than you mention in that every track rewards at least a nut or bolt, since they are required for all upgrades in the garage. This does reduce our possible combos, though it looks like we can probably spread things out a bit more.

4. Leaderboards - as I mentioned in an earlier post we are addressing this in the patch as well. Leaderboards will work as Evo does, we missed a key calculation to determine score when first pushing the global leaderboard out.

5. Leveling System - I haven't gone back and tuned these numbers in a while, but I agree that we could probably move up the amount of coins rewarded multiplier for higher levels.

6. Quests (and patch in general) - Fix is coming soon, we are a small team and with worldwide launch new issues have arisen that needed to also be addressed in the Soft Launch fixing patch. It will not be much longer before you can continue on in the game and unlock new tracks.

Finally for RedL1nkUp I have an AWESOME PRO TIP: Try touching and swiping away from the restart button instead of pressing and holding. This will give you an instant restart! :) We added this at the last minute because it felt so much better so we did not have a chance to get in a tutorial to teach it, that's coming soon though.

REDL1NKup
04-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Finally for RedL1nkUp I have an AWESOME PRO TIP: Try touching and swiping away from the restart button instead of pressing and holding. This will give you an instant restart! :) We added this at the last minute because it felt so much better so we did not have a chance to get in a tutorial to teach it, that's coming soon though.[/QUOTE]

Wow thanks for the reply. You don't know how happy this quick restart makes me.

Nytmair
04-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Thank you for the reply, RedLynxSwan.

I always had "bad mouthing" games, as I know people are working hard behind the screen, and if someone told me my product that I created at my job was crap, i would feel like I was punched in the face. I really look forward to the game getting fixed and getting back to playing like normal.

Do you have a date estimate yet for the patch? I know the other dev (newrider14 i think is the name) stated WEEKS in another thread. That is extremely disheartening if that is accurate...

Ch4er0n
04-16-2014, 06:08 PM
ALRIGHT SWAN :D:D I'm really happy to see your response! I'm glad you guys can work on fixes, and have some in progress. Thanks very much!

xzamplez
04-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Since Fusion is a massive disappointment, all I look forward to is this update. Hopefully this fixes all the problems and then we can wait for the promised content that will be added.

The physics on this game is better/more consistent than Fusion...

Nytmair
04-18-2014, 03:10 PM
I just hope we aren't waiting for the update as long as I think we might be......

membran_
04-22-2014, 08:56 PM
I completely agree with everything you said. I could add so many more bullet points, but I feel the effort would be just wasting everybody's time as they won't change the core grind mechanics. Trials Frontier is designed primarily to be a money grab and sadly, a really great game is buried under all the ridiculousness that is the bottomless "Freemium" hole. Even if one were to spend money on this game (therefore supporting this business model, which any true gamer should NOT, under no circumstances), it would not get you very far. Before long, you'd have to spend money again. The game is a close-to-endless, soulless grind, sacrificing everything that made Trials the perfect arcade storm. You can't expect an "unlock all" purchase for a reasonable price when they try to sell you coins and diamonds for EUR 89,99 each. This is insane. They are trying to take advantage of poor souls or even kids that cannot grasp the value of money but somehow got hold of their parents' Apple ID password. I'm waiting for the day that governments - at least in the EU - disallow these kinds of digital ripoffs by law. It's about time. For physical goods there already is such a law in place, but they are slow to act on digital developments.

Ch4er0n, I've written you a private message, I'd be happy if you could take the time to reply.

xzamplez
04-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Agreed m3mbran. I felt so wrong and hypocritical when I made a purchase in the game. I was only proof that this exploitative system works.

And I thought this greed would stay with the App Store, because "you have no choice in today's mobile market" (Which is a complete lie btw. Many app developers have become a success using premium pay models.), but it didn't. Trials Fusion has half the content of Evo, and it is 25% more expensive.

MaTiSpOrT
04-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Yeah, me too!! the launch update was a big dissapointment... no more "bike boosters", no more "5 rarified fuel" rewards on the slot machine, the "double coins" only working once not 30 mins, the Fusion connection and so on...