PDA

View Full Version : Fresh install of win7 Ultimate need help.

stuka_man
04-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Hi Folks,
Just updated to Windows 7 Ultimate32 bit on a 6 year old system.
A quick summary of the hardware:

Main board: ASUS A8V-VM
Ram: 1 GB
VGA Card: ATI RADION 1300 PRO. (hard to believe found a driver for it!).
Game controller: Saitek ST-290 (Win 7 drivers still available from Saitek)

My question is:

Can any one point me to a quick and easy way install and run IL-2 1946
under the above mentioned system specs

Tully__
04-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Assuming you have a disk version not a download version:

Insert disk. If Autoplay kicks in, cancel it.
Navigate to the disk and find the file a.exe. Double click it.
When the installer starts, choose Custom Install
At the option for install location, choose a location that is NOT in C:\Program Files\ and not in C:\Program Files (x86). Most people choose something like C:\Games
Run the rest of the install with default settings.
When the install is complete, test run the game. If you get a spinning disk and the game doesn't start, go to https://support.securom.com/analysis.php and get the update tool for securom.
When the securom update tool has done it's thing, test start the game again, it should now work.
Go to http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=584 for instructions and download links for patching. You'll need to register there to download, but it's a non-intrusive registration. No spam or anything will result.
If you want to run mod packs, Google HSFX6 and / or UP3 for download sites and instructions. Pay particular attention to supported patch versions, you may not be able to run the most recent patches with some of the included mods. Since this game is not officially approved for mods we don't allow links, but those are the most popular "complete" packs.

If you have a download version, I recommend you get the disk version. Last I checked it was still on Amazon for less than US$10.

stuka_man
04-16-2014, 06:10 AM
Many thanks Tully!
I'll give it go....
Been without Il-2 '46 for a week now.
Can't wait to et back at it.

Assuming you have a disk version not a download version:

Insert disk. If Autoplay kicks in, cancel it.
Navigate to the disk and find the file a.exe. Double click it.
When the installer starts, choose Custom Install
At the option for install location, choose a location that is NOT in C:\Program Files\ and not in C:\Program Files (x86). Most people choose something like C:\Games
Run the rest of the install with default settings.
When the install is complete, test run the game. If you get a spinning disk and the game doesn't start, go to https://support.securom.com/analysis.php and get the update tool for securom.
When the securom update tool has done it's thing, test start the game again, it should now work.
Go to http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=584 for instructions and download links for patching. You'll need to register there to download, but it's a non-intrusive registration. No spam or anything will result.
If you want to run mod packs, Google HSFX6 and / or UP3 for download sites and instructions. Pay particular attention to supported patch versions, you may not be able to run the most recent patches with some of the included mods. Since this game is not officially approved for mods we don't allow links, but those are the most popular "complete" packs.

If you have a download version, I recommend you get the disk version. Last I checked it was still on Amazon for less than US$10.

Tully__
04-16-2014, 07:23 AM
It should actually run better than Windows Vista and at least as well as WinXP if you've previously had it running on the same machine on one of those operating systems.
You'll have to fine tune video settings for best compromise between performance and image quality, but since the game was designed with 1024x768 in mind (remember the game engine is now 13 years old) you'll likely find a setting that works without too much difficulty.