PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to request songs outside of Facebook?

plissken99
04-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Because I'm not ever joining Facebook or other social networking sites. There used to be a nice little request link. What was wrong with that?

rcole_sooner
04-12-2014, 09:25 PM
No.

No matter what we try here, it gets "abused".

So the simple thing is you can post about any band/song/music you like in the General Discussion forum. Just leave any wording out that is a dlc request or that you want it in the game.

I think by posting one likes something, it stands to reason that one would like it in the game.

This seems to work to keep the vast number of MOAR WHATEVER threads down.

Oh,yeah, we don't like huge lists either. Try to post videos or comments, so we know you really care. Not just copy some list of bands from somewhere.

Steel_Nirvana
04-13-2014, 12:21 AM
From what I understand, you don't actually have to join FB to use the DLC request app.

dm_gsxr
04-13-2014, 12:32 AM
You don't have to join Facebook to post in the request app.

Carl

BazzTard61
04-13-2014, 03:45 AM
don't bother with requests, the lawyers will tell Ubi what songs are available, I don't think our opinions would make one iota of difference.

The bands we all want are not releasing their songs so don't bother, yes, you know the ones hehe

If Metallica,Beatles,Pink Floyd ,Led Zepellin,Black Sabbath were making their stuff available,don't you think Ubisoft would have released them by now?

VarriusTX
04-13-2014, 07:23 AM
...If Metallica,Beatles,Pink Floyd ,Led Zepellin,Black Sabbath were making their stuff available,don't you think Ubisoft would have released them by now?

I'm not sure I'm onboard with your logic. I think the math is prohibiting them from releasing it, they just don't think they'd make money. I'm sure the coveted "legends" will sell their music for the right price, problem is the "right" price is too much for Ubi to spend. Sure, there are a few exceptions to my theory, but I think most of them could be had if Ubi was willing to open the wallet a bit further.

I believe that thinking Ubi would purchase and release these bands at whatever price is required is just as na´ve as thinking these bands absolutely will not release the rights, even for the right price.

plissken99
04-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Indeed you do not need a FB account to use the DLC app, my bad. Course I know I can request Black Sabbath tracks till I'm blue in the face, but it likely won't help. I'd probably pay the nearly the price of the game itself for 4-6 song Sabbath pack.. just sayin. :nonchalance:

kingratt
04-13-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure I'm onboard with your logic. I think the math is prohibiting them from releasing it, they just don't think they'd make money. I'm sure the coveted "legends" will sell their music for the right price, problem is the "right" price is too much for Ubi to spend. Sure, there are a few exceptions to my theory, but I think most of them could be had if Ubi was willing to open the wallet a bit further.

I believe that thinking Ubi would purchase and release these bands at whatever price is required is just as na´ve as thinking these bands absolutely will not release the rights, even for the right price.

I think you're correct that a major deciding facitor is if potential buys are going to make enough money to justify the licensing fee. I am sure that some of these pop-punk bands come relatively cheap and an artist like that Dylan that is already in the game is a pretty easy sell. One thing Ubisoft could do better is promote in game artists better. Get some exposure for legends that already have content ie: Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, sell the heck out of their stuff so when you go to a crown jewel like Metallica you have numbers of buys, continuous sales and numbers for things like the average RS14 player who buys a song pack purchase is x times more likely to buy the artist's albums, merchandise, signature instrument, etc.

veilnwm
04-13-2014, 01:44 PM
I like the Scorpions. just sayin'....;)

MarkAllan1963
04-14-2014, 01:05 AM
I do not know anything about the music business but I Imagine that there is also a lot of red tape and lawyers and ownership of music problems. I watched a interview where Paul McCartney stated he could not perform some of his own songs because the rights belonged to someone else. I watch a show last night about the Dave Clark 5 and they stated that he was almost the only band leader who had owner ship of his bands songs even after the band retired. So even if a song writer wants his work on worksmith it may not be his choice?

daddy_felix
04-14-2014, 09:18 AM
The bands we all want are not releasing their songs

Do you really think the request app is used for Metallica/Beatles/<other impossible bands> requests only? I got news for you: there are a lot of bands that actually make their stuff available.

I requested several Iron Maiden and Aerosmith songs last year. I requested "Paint it black". I got them all by now. So it is actually possible to get requested songs.

dallasdave22
04-14-2014, 12:48 PM
You can request a song here:

https://www.facebook.com/rocksmith.usa/app_418953888161748

I hate FB as well and never plan on joining.

"They" say that they do look at the requests, but if I remember right, way back when they were announcing the on disk songs, they said that half of 2014 was already planned out - or something like that.

I requested Maiden and we got it - but i'm pretty sure the pack didn't happen because of it.

guitarman529
04-14-2014, 04:40 PM
I requested probably 200 songs and so far Maiden, Rush,and Distrubed are the only ones they have released. I did it on the request screen on the RS webpage before the facebook app was up and I wonder if all those requests are gone now or lost. I did 3 songs just know but if you have to log in every time to request 3 songs that is dumb. I have tweeted Paul before but did not get a response. I am with a few people on the type of music coming. I personally think it's more of what they want not always what people request. I know some bands refuse to let their music go and thats their choice. No problem there. I quit requesting songs because they won't reveal the stats on what bands have the highest request or the songs. If I could that then I unserstand more of what has the mose request. Until I see that I have a hard time believing what they are realeasing is always in the top one hundred of requested songs or bands. I just stopped spending money on DLC I don't like or I like them but not enough to spend the money, and so far its adding up.

tmitch45
04-15-2014, 08:42 AM
There is always hope for a big name release. There was a whole rock band beetles game after all wasn't there? And surely with certain songs from certain bands I would say its a sure bet that the majority of RS users would buy the packs from these legends? Surely that would be more cost effective than the development costs and licencing in bringing DLC to the table that isn't popular. Like a few around here I haven't purchased DLC for a good few weeks now.

plissken99
04-16-2014, 09:47 AM
You never know, Black Sabbath music has been showing up in movies and commercials lately which is a good sign, Iommi used to guard the catalog pretty closely.

I've started requesting songs of artists who had songs on the on disc game, as te odds are greater of getting a song pack of their stuff. Alice Coopers Feed My Frankenstein is one of my favorites! ;)

toymachinesh
04-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Black Sabbath isn't that farfetched but Ozzy is an easier grab I'd imagine

Greenbrick2
04-16-2014, 07:07 PM
don't bother with requests, the lawyers will tell Ubi what songs are available, I don't think our opinions would make one iota of difference.

Except that if they're given a list of available bands and songs, they'll pick the ones requested over the ones that aren't.

DanAmrich
04-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Please do continue to use the Facebook app, which as others have noted, does not require a Facebook account to use. It keeps the requests tidy and easy to parse on this end.

Also, remember that it's a suggestion box, not a vending machine. It's very valuable for the team to find out what you want, but your desire to play a song in Rocksmith is one factor of many. Some bands don't want to be involved with music games. Some bands were involved with music games in the past but do not wish to be now. Some bands want a staggering amount of money. Some bands say yes to some songs in their catalog and no to others. Every request is different.

I can tell you that even after artists say no to a request, we've gone back to them again later to see if they have changed their mind. (Sometimes that's backwards -- they say yes early on, and then no to later requests for more material.) Basically, "no" is taken as "not right now" here, and the team revisits every so often as professionalism and manners dictate.

So when it comes to long-standing requests, no news is not good news, but it's also not the end of days. :)

Steel_Nirvana
04-16-2014, 10:46 PM
Also, remember that it's a suggestion box, not a vending machine.

This should be in your signature--what a great way to capture the misperception.

I might steal that phrase in my next job as a community manager...are your licensing fees reasonable? I'd offer my first-born son, but don't have kids. How about a Ken doll and an IOU?

Greenbrick2
04-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Random question, as long as devs are peeking at the thread - have any bands come to you guys and said "take our whole catalog at a ridiculously low price!"? I'm genuinely surprised we don't have 10-15 tracks of at least one moderately popular band that was looking to promote.

DanAmrich
04-18-2014, 12:08 AM
I might steal that phrase in my next job as a community manager...are your licensing fees reasonable? I'd offer my first-born son...

It's all yours. (I don't have kids and I don't want yours.)

DanAmrich
04-18-2014, 12:14 AM
Random question, as long as devs are peeking at the thread - have any bands come to you guys and said "take our whole catalog at a ridiculously low price!"? I'm genuinely surprised we don't have 10-15 tracks of at least one moderately popular band that was looking to promote.

Not that I'm aware. The requests usually come from this side and the yes/no comes from that side, but it's always for very specific songs rather than a whole catalog. I've heard that a few artists have suggested songs when the conversation is underway, though -- like "we'd like A, B, and C" and they say "Okay, but have you considered D as well?" So that's nice.

Steel_Nirvana
04-18-2014, 01:01 AM
It's all yours. (I don't have kids and I don't want yours.)

;) Smart man.

as_uninvited
04-18-2014, 01:09 AM
Please do continue to use the Facebook app, which as others have noted, does not require a Facebook account to use. It keeps the requests tidy and easy to parse on this end.

Any chance of us gettin a peek behind the curtain? I'd be most interested in seeing what the top 10, 20, 50 ... Requested songs/bands/artists actually are. I often read from Nao and Paul that X number of releases were specifically requested. I'd be curious to get a feel where these types of artists and genres actually fall on that request list.

Steel_Nirvana
04-18-2014, 01:12 AM
I'd be willing to bet that if they released that information, there would be instant uproar and petitions as people complained the DLC releases weren't a countdown of the list. Or the [insert genre here] fans would take it as proof their music was best/underrepresented and launch more calls for action.

I agree it would be interesting to know, but I can't see there'd be an upside to releasing it, and every reason to keep some mystery.

CrazedRacer
04-18-2014, 02:33 AM
I don't care what Dan says... I still think this is what happens to requests:

http://irldefender.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/suggestion-box.jpg

I've never made a request. I think those guys have a long list of what they're looking to get and a long list of artists that they think they can get and if you get a song that you requested, it is more than likely just dumb luck. No one can honestly think "I requested Rush "YYZ" and they added it - it must have been SPECIFICALLY because I requested it!!! Yay me!!!!!!". That did not happen.

Steel_Nirvana
04-18-2014, 07:30 PM
The thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of territory between "suggestions drive the process" and "suggestions don't matter." Suggestions can be used to check the direction of a strategy, or to provide course corrections if the community as an aggregate is moving in a different direction than the current plan. The can also, occasionally, provide an "Aha!" moment in terms of adding or adjusting a service or how a service is delivered. At the same time, however, any business is more complicated than most customers realize, and whipsawing back and forth to gratify customer whims is a sure path to failure.

In a previous life as a community services provider, I was continually amazed by how many people thought I could (or would want to) pave roads or build buildings or rearrange school bus routes just because someone had a bright idea. By the same token, I was able to adjust several office's hours to better serve the clientele.

For this case, I suspect there's a master list, and long lead times, and requests serve the dual purpose of validating the choice and proportion of genres and, to a lesser extent, bands, and of providing new ideas for the medium to long term.

DanAmrich
04-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Any chance of us gettin a peek behind the curtain? I'd be most interested in seeing what the top 10, 20, 50 ... Requested songs/bands/artists actually are. I often read from Nao and Paul that X number of releases were specifically requested. I'd be curious to get a feel where these types of artists and genres actually fall on that request list.

Actually just got out of a meeting where I'm tracking down who to ask for that info, how that data is culled, etc. I mean, honestly, you can probably guess the big requests -- it's all the artists that are not in the game, such as Zep and Metallica and Floyd etc. But once I get the data, I'll try to parse and share it in some form -- gotta ask permission and find out how much of that info is considered private.

DanAmrich
04-18-2014, 08:12 PM
No one can honestly think "I requested Rush "YYZ" and they added it - it must have been SPECIFICALLY because I requested it!!! Yay me!!!!!!". That did not happen.

At the same time, nobody's here is saying "YYZ? Why didn't we think of that?!" Remember that this is a studio full of musicians with similar tastes to every other guitarist on the planet. So when we see suggestions, it's more of of a confirmer -- "Yeah, we thought that might be a good one, and clearly, the audience agrees, so let's definitely try to move forward with that sooner than later." Yesterday I was in a meeting about this and "the fans have really been asking for this" was brought up several times when we were discussing the current list of targets, wishlists, requests, and songs in production. Steel Nirvana's in the right mental groove, I think.

Where I do agree with you, Crazed, is that one request is not going to be The Reason A Song Was Chosen -- "I did it!" does seem a bit unrealistic. However, several requests can. If a significant number of people wind up asking for the same material, that definitely carries weight. So it's neither it's epiphany-level instruction nor shredder-level disregard. The result is not "They did that because I asked for it" so much as "I helped." Because they did.

I understand your skepticism, Crazed, and I won't try to talk you out of it. But I will remind you that you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. If any of you have requests but you're not expressing them, you can be sure you'll have zero influence over the process. But you might help influence if you participate. .

toymachinesh
04-18-2014, 09:00 PM
I loved the feature of Rock Band World that let you see where your artist request ranked. Found out a lot of other people also wanted some Mr. Bungle :)

CrazedRacer
04-19-2014, 02:00 AM
I understand your skepticism, Crazed, and I won't try to talk you out of it. But I will remind you that you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. If any of you have requests but you're not expressing them, you can be sure you'll have zero influence over the process. But you might help influence if you participate. .

It's all good. If something comes out that I think "I'd like to play that!", I'll buy it. I'm a country fan, so I gave up on any DLC a long time ago. I found another site that MORE than fulfills my need to learn current country songs and techniques. I use RS for fun, but that site is the one that's going to eventually give me the song list that will get me on stage playing the stuff I want to play. Not that it isn't fun to plug in occasionally and play some Petty or Def Leppard or Nirvana - and I still do.

AchtungBeatles
04-28-2014, 08:25 PM
I know its pointless to request The Beatles or Pink Floyd since they know everybody would want them and would get them if they could, is it pointless to request U2? Or is there a real shot they can have a song pack?

Duggle-SD
04-28-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm sure they would get U2 if they could, it does seem like a longshot. I heard that U2 turned down a thing similar to The Beatles Rockband but regretted it later when The Beatles one sold so well. It seems like a guitar game like this is different though, it would be nice if someone could talk some sense into them and get them to ok it, at least for their fans anyway.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/u2-keen-to-appear-in-own-rock-band-game

AchtungBeatles
04-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Yeah I had read that they were considering a stand alone game, but The Beatles Rock Band was kind of the last hurrah. After that sales of those games went down and nothing came of it.