PDA

View Full Version : MMDOC:HON the bait and switch.

deeredman1991
04-11-2014, 06:47 AM
I feel like I've been baited and switched. I spent $35 on this game and now it's not even playable without spending more money. I don't have a problem with spending money on games on occasion but I don't like being forced into it. I will not be spending another penny on this game unless it brings back the option to buy legacy packs for gold.

Anytime someone brings up this issue people say "Just be patient they are adding HON packs for gold in 2-3 weeks." my reply to that is maybe I don't want to play standard format...maybe I believe that standard format was a terrible idea and it needs to be done away with.

This is not the game I spent money on and I would like my money back.

gabusan
04-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Even if you dont want to play standard format, HoN cards can be used in open format. Surely the cards of HoN can help you become competitive in open format? Warriors and vampires deck seem to be mighty promising at the moment.

I understand you might feel cheated, but paying every once in a while is not that rare in gaming. There are DLC and monthly fees that have the players pay every once in a while. Free to play is just another business model. The plus side is that games get more support after release this way.

deeredman1991
04-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Even if you dont want to play standard format, HoN cards can be used in open format. Surely the cards of HoN can help you become competitive in open format? Warriors and vampires deck seem to be mighty promising at the moment.

I understand you might feel cheated, but paying every once in a while is not that rare in gaming. There are DLC and monthly fees that have the players pay every once in a while. Free to play is just another business model. The plus side is that games get more support after release this way.

Playing HoN in open format would be an option *IF* I had the legacy cards to back them up, but as a relatively new player I do not have the legacy cards to build a decent deck especially since they nerfed a lot of the cards that weren't even included in standard(another beef I have with HoN). I *MIGHT* be a little more apt to give it an attempt if they hadn't of taken away the seal rewards.

As I mentioned before I don't mind paying for a game every once in awhile *IF* I feel the game deserves it and I do not feel that throwing a bunch of cards out the window and calling it "BS2" deserves more of my money. To be completely honest, and I'm not trying to be mean here, I find it extremely lazy on the developers part.

MMDOC has basically in my opinion become P2W and there is a very specific reason I don't play P2W games and that reason is; no matter how balanced a game seems; be it the developers or the publishers, someone always gives in to greed and it becomes a war of the wallets.

On a positive note however I do like the new layout of the UI and the new animations, as well as the much needed sorting system added to the infernal pit and alter of wishes but none of that means anything if I can't be competitive without dropping hundreds of dollars on cards.

Revalon
04-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Not arguing about the p2w, or everything should be available for gold, or we should still get seals - it makes no sense.

But i am sure that BS2 was a good thing.
Many experienced CCG-players (which I am not) said that some sort of set rotation would be needed. And I believe that.
With a big card pool, we need a format in which new players have a chance to get competitive, and that is only possible by reducing the card pool for this format or by power creep, so you don't need old cards as the new cards are just better. The latter being something we don't want.

gabusan
04-12-2014, 12:25 AM
But if you stay away from tournaments, you should be able to play against opponents that are more or less in the same situation of you, building up their decks with whatever cards they can get. The new tier rankings and the option of exact matchmaking should (in theory) make sure you are not matched against someone with far more legacy cards than you. I recommend you give it a go before throwing the towel, at least.

BingoBozz
04-13-2014, 01:10 AM
But i am sure that BS2 was a good thing.
Many experienced CCG-players (which I am not) said that some sort of set rotation would be needed. And I believe that.
With a big card pool, we need a format in which new players have a chance to get competitive, and that is only possible by reducing the card pool for this format or by power creep, so you don't need old cards as the new cards are just better. The latter being something we don't want.

Power creep (which we don't want), is inevitable under the current business model.

They make new expansions ever so often, which are more or less balanced with the older cards - emphasis on the less. Otherwise, why would anyone ever buy a pack from a new expansion?

Even if these new expansion were perfectly balanced with the older cards, eventually we will end up with so many cards that no-one can keep track of them (witness BS1). So we need yet anohter 'card rotation', witness BS3 (in a year or so).

For 99% of the games out there, the moniker 'Free to play' is true only as long as you don't really want to win. To stay on the edge of things, you need to open your wallet for the company behind.
This is a fair and just arrangement, and something we have to accept in order for great games like these to be made in the first place.

hyperhop
04-15-2014, 04:41 AM
Unfortunately this has been the standard business model of DOC. For example, every time a new expansion comes out, me (and other players that don't spend seals and gold) have always been at a disadvantage. Personally I've found it difficult to grind for xp or gold so I've ended up waiting for daily rewards before buying a box. Not sure how this BS2 release is different. With the refresh, this gives newer players the opportunity to start afresh and be a bit more competitive since they won't be caught out by older players with massive collections.