PDA

View Full Version : Microtransactions in The Crew

Scrustle
04-10-2014, 12:31 PM
So for those who may not already be aware, it has come to light that The Crew will feature microtransactions for many things within the game, including the ability to unlock performance parts.

Details here: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_crew/preview-3616.html

I find this utterly disgusting. Microtransactions have no place in a full-priced game like this, and are utterly unjustifiable. They are a negative thing on every conceivable level in a game like this. It also shows that the creators of the game have no respect for their own product, or the players. It sends an antagonistic message to the player, and undermines the whole experience of the game by turning in to nothing more than an excuse to squeeze as much money out of players as possible.

I implore whoever has the power to make this decision, be that at Ivory Tower or Ubisoft, to get rid of these monstrous design decisions. Please don't ruin a game that looks to have so much promise. Please don't try to copy the likes of Zynga.

Tully__
04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
As a gamer (I'm not an Ubisoft employee), how is this different to DLC packs? There has to be some sort of ongoing revenue stream to pay the operating costs for the servers, or they'll be shut down just when the community is getting settled in to a long term groove (and sales of the main game are dropping off, drying up the only source of revenue in the model you suggest).

DT-MadManCK
04-10-2014, 01:06 PM
It is totally different from DLC, as DLC brings new content to the game. A lot of games come with unlock codes nowadays and i don't really like it, but who cares. I'm perfectly capable of finding those parts myself. But when you have little time to play, are impatient and don't care to pay a little extra it can be a little boost to progress through the game. I think some make a big fuss out of nothing. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

On the other hand, if it influences competition in anyway, it is bad.
We'll see how this unfolds in the upcoming weeks.

I will search for all updates myself. Much more fun :cool:

life4love
04-10-2014, 01:52 PM
I cancelled my Pre-Order after this info about Microtransactions. Hate this in mobile game.

Rattenschnitzel
04-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Sounds very optional for me, so what.
Should anybody spend real money, who want to.
I'll grinding my cash ingame while racing :p

Mochcin
04-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Sounds very optional for me, so what.
Should anybody spend real money, who want to.
I'll grinding my cash ingame while racing :p
Of course, but it all depends on how well it's implemented. It should feel optional and people who decided to spend some real money shouldn't have a huge advantage over the rest.
Microtransactions are not wrong by itself but it can feel bad in the game if it's not balanced which occurs in most of the F2P games. But they are F2P so they need to make money somehow and you are gaining advantage by spending money.

Fr8shakerD8n
04-10-2014, 03:13 PM
I have been poking around the web and it seems all the media that went to the press event in Paris is droning on and on about micro transactions. Why are people so up in arms about this? A lot of games these days offer micro transactions as an option. Even everybodies gem of 2013 - GTA V offered micro transactions. I never used them but they are optionally there.

While playing The Crew, I never once felt pressured into buying anything at all. The game progressed quite well and I'm really looking forward to it. Besides it could have been worse, What if they would have charged a monthly subscription fee?
If you don't want to pay for micro transactions, then don't pay for them. The game will not stop you from getting a 100% naturally at all. So I fail to see why people are getting turned off all of the sudden.

It's just as normal as any other game, it just offers a way to fast track for better parts faster. I don't see a problem with this at all. From the few micro transactions I saw, it didn't seem like The Crew was pay to win at all.

asmolnyi
04-10-2014, 03:18 PM
I will search for all updates myself. Much more fun :cool:

This is the way that every not a noob player would pick, IMO.

BulkZerker
04-10-2014, 04:11 PM
As a gamer (I'm not an Ubisoft employee), how is this different to DLC packs? There has to be some sort of ongoing revenue stream to pay the operating costs for the servers, or they'll be shut down just when the community is getting settled in to a long term groove (and sales of the main game are dropping off, drying up the only source of revenue in the model you suggest).

A fiver a month for VIP status. You get more... whatever for things you do in game. Premium vehicles that are unique and still not better than a fully kitted out vehicle of the same teir. but it can't be upgraded performance wise.

If it works for WoT... why not here?

Or... Idea. Wait Ubi wouldn't go for people hosting the servers for them. Cause then the game wouldn't be a good source of long term revenue, and they couldn't just yank the plug on it either.

markt50
04-10-2014, 04:29 PM

The inclussion of gameplay impacting microtransactions is very different to DLC. DLC simply adds new content, with ingame microtransactions we are now faced with games having their gameplay mechanics directly tweaked and manipulated by suits sat behind excel spreadsheets rather than game designers because they want to focus on 'Maximizing revenue streams' and 'encouraging' players to make inapp purchases. This has already had a negative impact on gaming, look at how Forza 5 had it's career earnings slashed in order to make it a grind to earn money in order to 'encourage' player to buy ingame currency.

With the sale of 'performance upgrades' for real money they have just voided any point in playing against other people, how do you know if you've just been beaten by a really skillful player or their wallet ? This kind of inapp purchase rubish should stay in the domain of the Free to Play, mobile and social game garbage, they have no place in AAA modern gaming imho.

To make matters worse you just know there will be payed for DLC ontop anyway, plus they are undoubtably going to charge the full £50 for the game up front.

This game has gone from a 'must have purchase' to 'one to avoid' in the blink of an eye for me I'm afraid. And as for how they can make money, there are plenty of other ways of doing it such as cosmetic only microtransactions, Regular payed DLC done hand in hand with free DLC, releasing a dedicated server program that people can run on their own servers etc.

Rattenschnitzel
04-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Of course, but it all depends on how well it's implemented. It should feel optional and people who decided to spend some real money shouldn't have a huge advantage over the rest.
Quess you won't find any big advantage. Like it was said, we won't be able to use Tuningparts beyond our own level. So there won't be any advantage for anyone.
Maybe someone can still level faster by spending money but i can't see any problem there, too - Higher level is simply higher level, no matter how.

But in the end you're right - Balance is everything.

Mochcin
04-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Quess you won't find any big advantage. Like it was said, we won't be able to use Tuningparts beyond our own level. So there won't be any advantage for anyone.
Maybe someone can still level faster by spending money but i can't see any problem there, too - Higher level is simply higher level, no matter how.

But in the end you're right - Balance is everything.

That was exactly point in my post. I didn't talk that there will be any disadvantage in The Crew because of the microtransactions. I don't know how it'll look in the game but if it'll be like you said then I'm fine and I don't care about it.

tragic_circus
04-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Let's just hope it doesn't end up like NFS World. I'm expecting better from Ubisoft, but if it does, I'm not sure any amount of awesome map can save it for me.

DT-Bezrider
04-10-2014, 11:02 PM
I think we need to look at this micro transaction thing as an extra feature in the game, a sort of in game add on that you can use to fast track upgrades and extra features to enhance your cars for those that donít have the time earn the points or explore the map for them.

Not as something that is going to influence how you are going to play the game, it is just something that is there if you want it if you donít then just ignore it.
You will always get people who will want to have everything as fast as they can if thatís the case then they will have to pay for it, I donít think it will affect game play as you will always meet someone with a higher level or better car than you in the game, thatís just the way it is.

And who knows maybe, just maybe if youíre a better driver you will still beat them in a race or challenge and that will make it all the more satisfying. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/cool.png
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EB41iED3mvw/UzHa6IqKoyI/AAAAAAAABd0/va5IR7VCVxk/s400/Ford-Mustang-GT-2011_circuit_big.jpg

Tully__
04-11-2014, 12:58 PM
The inclussion of gameplay impacting microtransactions is very different to DLC. DLC simply adds new content, with ingame microtransactions we are now faced with games having their gameplay mechanics directly tweaked and manipulated by suits sat behind excel spreadsheets rather than game designers because they want to focus on 'Maximizing revenue streams' and 'encouraging' players to make inapp purchases....
That's a policy issue, not a distinction in the principal of the two means of generating revenue. However, I take your point.

theonlytime
04-11-2014, 07:39 PM
At least the microtransactions feature is a slight plus over the eventual "Headstart" DLC of some sort as an option to give players a lead into the game with better vehicles and a quick level boost. Crap... "don't give Ubisoft any more ideas."

Memory_Kill
04-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Wait so how does it work then? Rather than buying/unlocking performance upgrade parts buy playing the game...you can choose to instead use real money tobuy the performance part, but you have to reach the "player level" to use the part.

Errr...what??

So what's the point? Surely there is none, if all i need to do is play the game and do races and earn cash and buy it...surely I'll level up at the same rate, get the same rewards, and eventually get the same upgrade that i've just forked out money for?

it doesn't make any sense to me...we need to know how player level works, someone buys a TOP engine that requires lets say level 20 and you are level 15, player A does lots of stuff and earns cash and upgrade parts as normal, player b does the exact same thing but gets this awesome upgrade at that level.

So this begs the question, are upgrades based on loot? A "drop" chance? Rarability or chance? Like NFS world?

I'm still confused on this, I wish they would just remove it completely, it doesn't need microtransactions.

The whole point of them is so you can access stuff IMMEDIATELY whats the point if you still need to grind 10 levels to equip the thing you just bought? That sounds totally stupid.

I vote no to microtransactions and also vote "wtf explain yourself" to the devs.

EDIT

Also WTF?! You have to pay to fast travel?! What the hell is happening to this game.

Gargie396
04-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Oh man i hope you DEV/community mangers make a PAS to clear all this up...

Rattenschnitzel
04-11-2014, 10:15 PM
@Memory_Kill
Quess you get the wrong idea.
First of all: You will not get any parts above your own player level. So you don't have to grind anything.

Performanceparts will indeed have a "Qualitylevel" Bronze, Silver, Gold (Maybe more, i don't know) so its a bit about luck what parts will be dropped for you and a Level 10 Gold could maybe better than a Level 15 Bronze.
Thats the point where microtransactions hit the spot to buy upgrades you want.
So paying money will simply make it a bit easier or rather faster if the player want to - Nothing more, nothing less.

Memory_Kill
04-11-2014, 10:25 PM
I just wrote a tower of text on this in the thread lol, ugh damn! So you're saying that, two players are both 10, my mate gets a gold engine part and buffs his power a lot, for the next 3 levels he is *** whooping the competition, this makes it even more unbalanced, if gold parts are THAT good that if someone buys (11 car parts is it?) 11 gold parts for there car, which could cost...i dunno lets say 4.99 at level 10, 6.99 at level 15, 8.99 at level 20 he is eseentially rolling in a level 13-15 car against people in level 10-11 and possibly 12 cars, not only has he "paid to win" but everyone at his level is going to get owned by him, so how exactly is it faster and not at a massive disadvantage? I could grind for 3 more levels and not get a single gold peace, whilst my P2W friend is at level 14 now and still owning the majority of cars at his level, do you see what i mean? It is even WORSE if you can only buy performance parts at your level, because you will trounce all others, that's what worries me.

UNLESS

If you are level 10 with all gold parts, you get matched with level 13-15 players instead, rather than say 9-11 players. That would make MUCH more sense as effectlively eliminate any P2W worries at all in competitive competition.

Sorry for the multiple threads on the same subject Shade or anyone else.

kinnafawx
04-12-2014, 07:07 AM

It means The Crew is already turned into Need For Speed World. Welcome to the Pay 2 Win.

Rattenschnitzel
04-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Not really. Parts and cars won't be exclusive or something like this ;)

@Memory_Kill
The game will match up to driver level 200 when i remember right (Maybe more ^^). Seen in a early Trailer - Latest Tuningkits will be available about level 180.
So you will level up really quickly compared to other games, i quess. 5 levels will be a piece of cake.
Plus the difference between the parts won't be that big. You have to level the car to your driverlevel, too.
So if your car on "Level 1" has 400HP and "Level 180" maybe 800HP or something like this, you will see how slow the whole system evolves.
The difference between a Car @bronze and the same car @gold of the same level won't be that big. Maybe only 10HP or something like this.

Purple44
04-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Reading this:

The Crew preview - A step in the wrong direction? (http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_crew/preview-3616.html)

"To try and explain The Crew as a concept succinctly is nearly impossible. Pitched as a racer-MMO-RPG, it is a constantly connected open world where players level up in order to unlock new cars and better parts in order to take on tougher challenges. By completing races players earn cash and XP; attaining a bronze, silver or gold medal in the event will also unlock a bronze, silver or gold car part to purchase later on. "

When I see bronze, silver or gold, I'm thinking I got to place 3rd, 2nd or 1st to unlock a part. So does this mean in an 8 player race, if I finish 4th or lower, I get no part? So my car will stay stock?

I can be a good racer online once I learn the tracks, but I don't win to many races against good real players. So if only way to get a gold part is to finish 1st, I will not be getting many gold parts unless I just race the AI. I can see where a player that willing to pay cash for gold parts could have an advantage online. I would imagine my mini cooper will be mostly some bronze and maybe some silvers parts.

Which reminds me, will there be no assists only races ( hardcore races )? We saw in GRID 1, players that like using no assists were at a disadvantage to players that had all assists ON, give them cars that had better grip and handling.

DT-MadManCK
04-12-2014, 10:20 AM
You can also do achievements as a crew, if one of your crew mates will unlock the Gold parts, everybody in that Crew will get them as well.
One of the cool parts of playing as a Crew.

PS Those Videogamer dudes are a bunch of attention seeking n00bs, just saying. They played 12 minutes in Full Assist and are just whining and complaining about things they don't even know.

Ryzza5
04-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Annoyed to see people complaining about 'paying to fast travel' without thinking it through logically

The mostly likely answer is this:

Just like in TDU1, at the start of the game, you can't jump to places you haven't driven. Not a massive deal in TDU1 since it only took ~20 minutes to cross to the other side of the island. Different story in The Crew. If you've just started the game and want to ignore the story mode and immediately explore the other side of the map, you could buy a plane ticket to that city. Let's pretend a plane ticket costs 1 token. Perhaps you can earn tokens in game, or if you're extremely impatient you could buy some with real life money.

Of course, once you drive/fly to the other side of the map, you can fast travel to the roads you have driven on for free, just like in TDU1 and TDU2. So the devs aren't really going to make a load of money from this aspect. It's just an option there for those who are time-poor. Think of it as the modern-day equivalent of single-player cheat/unlock codes.

Chances are most of the events on the other side of the map will be locked anyway due to the player level not being high enough or not having a fast enough car. Again just like in TDU1 - I could drive to the north of the island immediately after completing the intro tutorial but there aren't any Group-F races there anyway, so I have to head back to Waikiki to complete those in order to buy a better car.

tduckadmin
04-12-2014, 04:41 PM
I think there are still some unknowns with this Ry, I heard or read a preview that mentioned about how you unlock areas of the map and that there is a Public Transport System (Planes, Trains etc) which you can use for free when I believe a certain level is reached.

DT-MadManCK
04-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Yes, the disadvantage of flying to an area that is further down the road of the story line, is that you can not do that many challenges over there, as they all require faster rides etc.
But if you just want to cruise and explore, you can go everywhere by Plane or Train and continue your journey from there.
Only in game money for a ticket.

And some game sites should be more careful when revealing "facts". Real money for fast travel. Can't believe some are falling for that.
Almost looks like they did that intentionally to create some controversy or web traffic to their site. Lame move.

tduckadmin
04-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Click-bait of course. Just look at how often mt's get mentioned on N4G and the like, people love jumping to conclusions.

TheMrPatrick
04-15-2014, 12:26 AM
...and I have lost interest in this game. No thank you, I am not going to purchase a full price game so I can deal with microtransactions.

Gargie396
04-15-2014, 02:49 AM
Click-bait of course. Just look at how often mt's get mentioned on N4G and the like, people love jumping to conclusions.

Given the current climate of the gaming industry Id say the average consumer/gamer has a right to do so.As a matter of fact its good that people don't trust the big production companies,shows there is no loyalty.And really the olny people who dont care about exuberant game prices and ripoff-ish DLC are A.yuppie gamers who have disposable income or B.those who get the game/DLC codes for free because they review games or participate/own/moderate gaming forums, Even with how much better Ubi is then EA they still have their fair share of BS.

Is it wrong that the gaming news sites purposefully mislead people so the can get visits that their "reporting" is not drawing in? Yes.
Is it wrong that big production companies rip off the average gamer? Yes.
Is it wrong that the average gamer assumes the worst and jumps to conclusions when it comes new games/roumers? No.

I personally was going to pre-order but iv decided to wait because it seems Ubi completely ignoring the fact this game is also on the PC.

tduckadmin
04-15-2014, 02:37 PM
I completely agree with you, I just prefer facts over conjecture is all, and by all means I want people to shout as loud as they can if the mt's seem to be unfair or pushed on players. The fact that a hardcore ("I'll buy any DLC Turn 10 puts out!) loyal fanbase such as Forza didn't embrace microtransactions or the forcible nature of how the games' progression pushed them upon players is a good sign imo.

Fr8shakerD8n
04-15-2014, 03:16 PM
OMG. I can't believe people are still beating this dead horse....

MenelikSanders
04-16-2014, 01:47 AM
Micro transactions are just stupid to me because as a kid they were just called cheat codes. They aren't providing you with a service only thing they're doing is making a obstacle less difficult that they made difficult in the first place. Its like if I threw tacks on the road and then charged you for a new tire.

NascarVike
04-23-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm excited about skipping the whole video game thing and go straight to the experience that interests me: the driving. I'm fed up with video games. In TDU 1, once I unlocked the HC mode, I only ever did races or missions when I needed to buy houses and cars. The Crew is an extension to the TDU experience so I just want to pick up where I left off. I don't want to do the video game stuff and micro-transactions will allow me do exactly that and skip the unwanted stuff, with the exception of the tutorial. But as soon as I'm done with it, I can just buy cars and drive them around for the sake of driving. That's what cash transactions were designed for. There's no cheating when you simply have no interest in playing.

BigBoyMitchTI
05-01-2014, 08:13 PM
So we know that there will be a level bound to the performance parts, so you wont be able to buy crazy good high performance parts but instead only ones equal or lower to your current level. BUT! If a rich level 5 kid buys all lv 5 performance parts, and you dont then what is stopping the races between the two from becoming a pay2win scenario? I need answers.

No matter what they do. If i would be a player with alot of free time and alot of money to spend, i would still be one step ahead of someone who has alot of free time but almost no money to spend! This system could kill the game!

I am rather shocked by this coming from Ubisoft, EA? Sure! But Ubisoft.. What the hell? They better have some good method to prevent Pay2Win.

DeceitfulFox
05-01-2014, 08:33 PM
I expect they'll have some pretty robust matchmaking in place to ensure only cars of similar performance are raced together. In any case, this will all become trivial after the first few months when all of us are max rank.

BigBoyMitchTI
05-01-2014, 08:56 PM
I expect they'll have some pretty robust matchmaking in place to ensure only cars of similar performance are raced together. In any case, this will all become trivial after the first few months when all of us are max rank.

Hmm that doesnt make sense, why would people buy Performance parts with real money if it wouldnt give them an adventage.. unless, it really is aimed at people with almost no time to play the game. Or maybe it is aimed at people having a hard time to complete challenges / races not including other online players. I supose that would make sense.

I am still scared though, this is all speculation. Hopefully Ubisoft will not turn in to money vampires.

Rattenschnitzel
05-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Differenz between Parts won't be that big.
In a previous Video from Team VVV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YzWkNIZHCs) we've seen a bit about the Tuning.
A nice comparence between LVL20 Bronze and Gold on a Lambo Aventador.
Bronze:
Carlevel 350 - Acc 7449 - Grip 3979 - Break 7337 - Top Speed 244 - Power 686 - Torque 715 - Weight 1678
Gold:
Carlevel 430 - Acc 7588 - Grip 4038 - Break 7395 - Top Speed 252 - Power 671 - Torque 726 - Weight 1647

There sure is a differenz but won't help someone who can not drive it.

And finally the Carlevel itself is the biggest point here.
It gives you a slight idea about other cars and there will be "carlevel-limits" in events, i quess.
So what about any bought Goldtuning when someone is exceeding that limit and can't participate ^^

Memory_Kill
05-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Hmm that doesnt make sense, why would people buy Performance parts with real money if it wouldnt give them an adventage.. unless, it really is aimed at people with almost no time to play the game. Or maybe it is aimed at people having a hard time to complete challenges / races not including other online players. I supose that would make sense.

I am still scared though, this is all speculation. Hopefully Ubisoft will not turn in to money vampires.

It won't give you an advantage in PVP, this is the point. All it will do is give you an easier time to progress through the game, but bare in mind, you could easily get a BETTER part from completing a race.

The transactions are designed for those who want to experience the game and the performance of cars without spending time "playing" the game, or just want to jump into PVP with a decent car.

However, people seem to forget that SKILL is the BIGGEST draw in this game.

For example a level 20 player with all bronze car parts against a level 21 player with all gold parts, has just a much chance of winning based on skill (and the type of car they have) it's as simple as that, for people like you who just want to "race" microtransactions appeal, you won't get an advantage over anyone (that would be PAY 2 WIN and stupid) you will just have an easier time, but not online against others, different story.

Also as Ratterschnitzel above has just outlined (as did I in another thread):

The difference between gold and bronze parts is not that huge, the difference comes more on the LEVEL of the part, as you can see, a level 20 bronze part will be better than a level 18 gold part.

As for STOCK car specs? We have no real idea yet, but remember what they said, every car can stand a reasonable chance against almost any other car bar a few.

How this will work intrqiues me... will a fully maxed out Mini or F-150 Raptor take on a fully maxed out Pagani Huarya? Hopefully...it can't, as that would be ridiculous beyond believe, there must be a cut off eventually, these details we know little of yet, best to wait and see.

BigBoyMitchTI
05-02-2014, 11:40 AM
It won't give you an advantage in PVP, this is the point. All it will do is give you an easier time to progress through the game, but bare in mind, you could easily get a BETTER part from completing a race.

The transactions are designed for those who want to experience the game and the performance of cars without spending time "playing" the game, or just want to jump into PVP with a decent car.

However, people seem to forget that SKILL is the BIGGEST draw in this game.

For example a level 20 player with all bronze car parts against a level 21 player with all gold parts, has just a much chance of winning based on skill (and the type of car they have) it's as simple as that, for people like you who just want to "race" microtransactions appeal, you won't get an advantage over anyone (that would be PAY 2 WIN and stupid) you will just have an easier time, but not online against others, different story.

Also as Ratterschnitzel above has just outlined (as did I in another thread):

The difference between gold and bronze parts is not that huge, the difference comes more on the LEVEL of the part, as you can see, a level 20 bronze part will be better than a level 18 gold part.

As for STOCK car specs? We have no real idea yet, but remember what they said, every car can stand a reasonable chance against almost any other car bar a few.

How this will work intrqiues me... will a fully maxed out Mini or F-150 Raptor take on a fully maxed out Pagani Huarya? Hopefully...it can't, as that would be ridiculous beyond believe, there must be a cut off eventually, these details we know little of yet, best to wait and see.

Thanks! This used to be a big concern of mine. Btw dont get me wrong i love racing in general, i will probably be free roaming alot and doing challenges. But online has to be good for when i reach 100% completion. Expected to happen in 8 years. LOL because it will take around 25-30 hours to max one car. This is sexy to me.

Purple44
05-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Hmmm, this make me wonder, can I settle for getting bronze and silvers parts in the early levels and when I get to level 50, can I win all the gold parts I'm missing? Would I have go back and redo all the challenges to get these gold parts? Or would it be better to go for all "platinum" parts when I hit level 50?

Is it really worth worrying, spending major time trying to get gold parts, if they are going be obsolete after you reach level 50? Or will I need all gold parts to have a good enough car to win "platinum" parts?

Edit: Hmm, if it were true you need a car with mostly gold parts to have a car fast enough, grippe enough to win "platinum" parts, then that would be "pay to win" if you can buy the "platinum" parts when you get to level 50!! I would assume you would have to do a better time than what got you a gold part, to win a "platinum" part.

Memory_Kill
05-04-2014, 10:07 PM
This thread needs updating with the correct information *sigh* oh well!

Apparently, you can no longer buy parts with real money, only cars, parts and perks are NOT purchable with money any more.

Cars can be bought for real money instead of in game money, however, each car has a "Player level" attached to it, so you can not buy a lambo or a pagani at the start of the game, you still need to "Play" the game to work for it to unlock the car.

It's a better system, but honestly, I think they should just remove MT completely, who knows, they made this change, perhaps they will make another and just remove them, although this method is fine, it won't effect balance.

Purple44
05-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Memory_Kill (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1405210-Memory_Kill) , you got a link where this was said? I tried Google and came up short.

Memory_Kill
05-05-2014, 01:44 AM
There really should of been a new thread on this...it was discussed in the "map discussion" thread if you want to check it out, anyway, here: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gamersyde_preview_the_crew-15264_en.html (scroll down the bottom to the bullet points)

Gamersyde got to have a hands on preview and confirmed that cars would now be the only things purchasable with real money, also, MadMan (in the map discussion thread) confirmed from his playthrough in Lyon that said cars will be level based and unlocked via player level.

Hope that clears things up.

Purple44
05-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the link:

"• Perks and parts won't be available for purchase with real money in the game. Those who don't have time to play will be able to buy cars, but the game has not been designed like a pay-to-win, more like a pay-to-save-time-if-you-don't-have-any. The players who'll buy cars with real money will still have to play on order to compete against other players, as parts and perks only unlock as you gain levels - which can't be bought obviously."

All I need now is for Ivory Tower to confirm text chat and then I can put The Crew back on my buy list.

McTalon
08-16-2014, 09:13 PM
It's very strange to read about microtransactions in non play-for-free game.
Almost like Need for Speed World - an example of good idea with terrible realization.

TVR Speed 12
08-17-2014, 03:22 AM
I like the new method. Before it was so what you had the base you didn't have all the extras so boo hoo. Now its you can buy base but without the parts(skill and mostly time) its not going make much difference. Like in GTA V. One buys a Zentenro using hard earned GTA$. Another glitches it and one buys a shark card. They go to a mod shop and only 1 player can buy the necessary parts to remain competitive.

The point is with the new method it doesn't matter how you got it. Just how you can drive it to earn more parts.

ChrisImmortal
09-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the link:

"• Perks and parts won't be available for purchase with real money in the game. Those who don't have time to play will be able to buy cars, but the game has not been designed like a pay-to-win, more like a pay-to-save-time-if-you-don't-have-any. The players who'll buy cars with real money will still have to play on order to compete against other players, as parts and perks only unlock as you gain levels - which can't be bought obviously."

All I need now is for Ivory Tower to confirm text chat and then I can put The Crew back on my buy list.

This.
We need them to be open with us about microtransactions. I'm not spending $60 on this game until I know EXACTLY how microtransactions will work. None of this vague "yeah there will be pay to save time microtransactions but don't worry it won't be pay to win." That's only what literally every game dev says about their game with microtransactions...

MaXiiczek
09-14-2014, 05:16 PM
from the game design performance parts are not bought, so i think this shouldn't be a problem with P2W, they said already you have to unlock them before a chance to buy them both with ingame cash or real money, but some more official overall statement would be nice

what i'm more curious about is update handling with seasion pass, what will be free, what will be exclusive etc

Tentacularr
09-14-2014, 05:25 PM
I think this is more an issue about terrible marketing and non-transparency on ubisofts part. The marketing that is responsible for The Crew is not very active. Just look at the outdated "car list" that is still on the website. If the microtransaction are truly just to "speed up" the progression, I think they are a great way to monetize the game.

That said, it's ridiculous how much money Ubisoft is already losing because they are not being transparent about any of that. The gaming communuity is very sensitive to things like microtransactions. Ubisoft would have needed some dialog with it.

MaXiiczek
09-14-2014, 06:26 PM
exactly, they should start sharing informations, because people tend to think the worst if there are no informations... and as they sell season pass without sharing what it will contain later, it looks really bad

ChrisImmortal
09-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Yeah. It would be very simple for them to make a post or something outlining exactly how they plan to milk this game after charging $60 and explain to us why it won't ruin the experience for us. Until then, I have no problem not buying this game. If I don't trust the business model by the time it launches, I'll just buy TDU2 because everyone seems to talk about that like it's an awesome game. Very simple bit of transparency we want here. They should stop making videos telling us how awesome this game is to play with friends (even though the videos are fun to watch) and start telling us stuff that matters.

Tajeo
09-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Hey guys, check out this page on this thread, it was an interview done with the head hancho and IT. She specifically said performance parts are not up for sale.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/877087-What-recent-info-we-know-so-far!-Updated-when-possible/page34

ChrisImmortal
09-15-2014, 12:57 AM
Hey guys, check out this page on this thread, it was an interview done with the head hancho and IT. She specifically said performance parts are not up for sale.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/877087-What-recent-info-we-know-so-far!-Updated-when-possible/page34

Thank you. That does make me feel better.

MaXiiczek
09-15-2014, 10:04 AM
i really liked those answers but I'm still missing more information about season pass which i need before buying the game...

i don't necessarily need to get everything for free, i don't mind cosmetics (stickers, cosmetic tuning parts, etc), but other things (races, skills, cars) should be a) free for all or b) free with season pass... i would be disappointed if i would buy a season pass a then found something non-cosmetic what isn't free for me... i would rather not buy it if it would be this way... (i don't count big paid expansions, which are usually worth the money and adds something really big into the game, like a new map or big region or something)

XJ80
10-21-2014, 07:24 PM
For $80US for the Season Pass EVERYTHING better be FREE!!! DLC's, Expansions, ALL OF IT!!!!!

MaXiiczek
10-22-2014, 07:36 AM
where did you get that amount? season pass itself is around $25, quite a difference

Gargie396
10-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Its the pc's gold edition (they've already hiked it up by 5 bucks !)
Uplay (http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_US/pd/ThemeID.8605600/productID.306857100/THE_CREW%E2%84%A2_GOLD_EDITION.html)
Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/241560/)
Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Crew-Gold-Edition-Online-Game/dp/B00MR69MQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414058621&sr=8-2&keywords=the+crew)
personally Im not going to pre-order the gold edition or buy it later on until I see what DLC they are offering I don't wanna spend another 30 bucks on the game olny to have a bunch of lame Japanese cars as DLC.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
10-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi Guys, as soon as we have information about DLC we will post.

Gargie396
10-23-2014, 11:20 PM
yay! :eek:

Rattenschnitzel
11-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Nobody needs to buy DLC and nobody needs to use MTs.
DLC is something common today sadly but thos MTs are only to save time and nobody will have exclusive parts or benefits with it.

I'm 30 myself and totally with you but it's never good to blame someone for doing it like anyone else - There simply it not even one big publisher going a "better" way.
Blame all those gamers out there who are stupid enough to support this system and pay 80-100Ä in the end for something we got for 40-50Ä or 80-90DM in our good old times ;)

MaXiiczek
11-26-2014, 10:18 PM
you can't really compare MMO and other games according to MT and DLC... I'm happy The Crew don't have monthly fees and it's not pay to win, I don't really care about anything else...

BA1969
11-26-2014, 10:54 PM
Same here, I'm an older gamer as well and remember well that once everything was all inclusive. Then Blizzard started asking monthly fees. Then DLC's started. Then half games were released. BUT.... you don't have to buy. I hardly ever buy DLC unless it's really really worthwhile. I bought a Harley for TDU2 for my son and some pack for Marvel Heroes for him as well. I bought 1 or 2 cars in Forza Horizon and that's about it. It seems that the Crew offers enough to avoid DLC, unless they release a map extension and some awesome cars. So far all the DLC cars do not really interest me, except for the McLaren 12c, but then I need to buy a season pack, but for one car.... I don't think so. Besides the 12c, there are only 2 cars that would really entice me to buy some DLC. the McLaren P1 and the DMC DeLorean. If those would have been in the season pack I would have been tempted, but they're not.

I don't see why I would pass on the game because there's DLC and Microtransactions in it. As long as you're not forced to use it, no need to skip this game. The only thing that got me worried is that I would have needed a paid subscription on the Xbox (XBL Gold), but that's the case, the game can be played with the free subscription and no extra fees.

Sniper-NLN
11-27-2014, 12:01 AM
I generally don't like DLC and MT, but come on, people, all of you know what inflation is, but we still have that 60$ pricetag on AAA titles for years. So the real price has to grow somewhere. And it goes to DLCs and MTs, trying desperately to save that 60$ old fashion.

The only thing I'm really against is selling maps in mutliplayer game. Because such thing is dividing the community, which is not healthy at all. And it's clearly seen almost in every game which went into that path.

So I'd better go for billion paid cars DLCs for the only one FREE map extension. At the end, not everyone needs all cars in the game, but someone will definitely find a Car Pack of his tastes. That won't hurt anybody.

BA1969
11-27-2014, 01:01 AM
$60 for years, you obviously don't live in Europe. Games have gone up in price the last 2-3 years. First the were €50... then came €60.... then came €70 and now I've seen games selling for €75 and even €80 already. Regular editions..... all prices in euros, so you do the math.

AngryNeox
11-27-2014, 02:41 AM
$60 for years, you obviously don't live in Europe. Games have gone up in price the last 2-3 years. First the were €50... then came €60.... then came €70 and now I've seen games selling for €75 and even €80 already. Regular editions..... all prices in euros, so you do the math.
True most new games cost 70€ on console.
That's why I bought the gold edition (game+season pass) on PC for 65€ (preoder sale) on steam.
If you want it even cheaper you can get in from a legit key sell page. I found one which has the gold edition for "just" 53€.

BA1969
11-27-2014, 10:55 AM
True most new games cost 70€ on console.
That's why I bought the gold edition (game+season pass) on PC for 65€ (preoder sale) on steam.
If you want it even cheaper you can get in from a legit key sell page. I found one which has the gold edition for "just" 53€.

I'd love to buy the pc version, but at this time I'm not sure if my laptop will run the game. The cpu (i7 2Ghz) & memory (8Gb) are fine, but the graphics card (ATI HD6770m) may not be able to handle the game. I've actually haven't even played games on my laptop, it's for work only, but who knows :) I'm hoping a demo for the pc will be released so I can try it first.

For now I'll be getting the game on the XBox 360. Since the Xbox One has been released, a good number of new 360 releases have dropped to the good old €50 again. If you pre-order, you can get it even cheaper then that. I got mine for €35 or so, but that offer is gone by now. I'm taking a huge risk though by ordering the 360 version, it could be a complete disaster. I hope not and since the makers of Fuel are doing this version, I've got a feeling it will be an OK, perhaps even a good game. At least they've got experience with racing games and massive open world maps. that gives me a bit of confidence to pre-order, especially with the great offer at that time.

Ryzza5
11-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Here's an idea for those who don't want to preorder.. or spend over $100.

Hunt around on eBay - you can often buy new games (I find from UK or southeast Asia best) at cheap prices, at the downside of having to wait an extra week for it to ship. I've ordered PS3/X360/PC games like this in the past with no compatibility issues (in Australia).

You could then put the money you've saved into a few DLC packs that grab your fancy.

As long as the handling and online features are good enough to cruise with friends, I'm happy to buy DLC to fund things like dynamic weather and other improvements. I've never been one to spend money on MTs though.

Rattenschnitzel
11-27-2014, 07:35 PM
...$60 for years, you obviously don't live in Europe...
Jep, obviously. Because he is calculating in $ makes it real obvious :D

But i'm from Europe (As you see in my signature ;) ) and its still not that bad. Sure some AAA-Titles are getting expensive but have you realized, that this one is really depending on the several shop in most cases ;)

I get a Uplay-Key for The Crew for 34€ (LE possibly for 39€ but i didn't want to) - The same price i got TDU back in those good old days ;)
[Oh, ok - The Preorder was 31,24€ - Quess i should have looked @the Preorder earlier to be sure ^^]

If someone don't want to pay 60 or even 70€ it's real easy to find alternatives. Most keyshops are really trustable (See valuations and stuff) and sell 100% original Steam/Uplay/Originkeys much cheaper - You simply have to activate them in the respective software.
Personally i buy most of my games in a keyshop (Won't call out the name because of advertizing / promotion / propaganda / stuff ^^) in the last years and even without any specialdiscount, most games cost up to 50% less.
At this rate i preordered any game i wanted without waiting for any steamdiscount or stuff and simply never paid more than 45€ @releasedate.

@DLC
The DLC in The Crew not much more expensive compared to other genre-titles and the possibillities in The Crew (2€ / car) - I won't buy the pass but its possible i'll buy a hand full of cars later, maybe.
As long as DLC or MTs don't bring any big advantages and the respective game has something to offer in the retailversion itself, i can deal with it and seeing the massive open world including many challenges to master and some really nice and rare cars in racinggame-business, makes The Crew one of these worthy games.

A good example for the other side could be something like The Sims or some of the NFS, CoD and BF Games (Not all) - Those really are ridiculous in some cases :P
Personally i would nominate EA for having the most absurd DLC ideas ^^

BA1969
11-27-2014, 10:34 PM
You're right as long as your buying for the pc. Finding a good deal for a console is a lot harder. I often have buy from the UK to get a deal, here in the Netherlands console games are really expensive.

Rattenschnitzel
11-28-2014, 04:56 PM
You're right, thats a hard thing.
But on the other hand PC-Hardware won't get cheaper, too ^^