PDA

View Full Version : Please, Please Balance Track Challenges

lbaum
04-10-2014, 04:04 AM
As the title states, please balance Track Challenges. It makes no sense to have extreme level challenges in a medium level track. I don't play extreme tracks because they are way too ridiculously frustrating to me and I am simply not good enough to complete them. So I am confused about the design decision to set it up so that I, and players like me, cant possibly finish the medium track challenges...

A great example is the Warp on Marina Mayhem. It is awful (to me..because of the difficulty) and it frustrated me to no end to know I will never, ever be able to complete that track now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the track challenges...they bring a whole new level of humor and gameplay to the game. They just need to be balanced, IMO. Extreme challenges belong on extreme tracks.

Just my two cents.

DJ_2wItchY
04-10-2014, 09:19 AM
I notice your comment and understand what you are saying. Currently it is just the beta that you have and take notice that yet you are getting the challenges for the levels allowed, you still do not have the more agile bike (Pit viper). Because of this I agree some challenges that are in the beta can be considerably harder to do on the bikes that you currently have.

On a side note, please do take in to consideration. These are challenges, meaning they are not going to be easy to complete straight away. I wouldn't say that you can "never be able to do it. It is all about practise and getting more experienced at the game :)

SparkierJoNESZ
04-10-2014, 11:20 AM
the track challenges are made to add an extra challenge to the track, something optional to test your skills on

kinda like the getting a plat medal is an extra challenge over gold medals
these are just of a different kind, finding secrets , doing some tracks, finishing the track in a special way
they give xp based on how hard they are(or it should)

also if they do challenges on easy/beginner tracks, how many people are gonna enjoy that challenge if its like "do a trick" or "do a backflip", i don't think anyone would enjoy that not even beginners because it never was a challenge, just something that happend when they were still learning the game, even these examples are to hard for a begginner because a beginner track is a track that should be pasable by players that can't really control gas and leaning

not all challenges should be very hard, but shouldn't we also get some hard challenges on the easier tracks, certainly when they have to be harder anyway because too easy ones will challlenge no one

lbaum
04-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Hi 2wItchY and sparkierjonesz - thank you both for your replies. I do understand that all bikes are not available in the beta and recognize that that could make a big difference. But I would just have to ask then...especially to you 2wItchY as you have access to all the bikes...would you not consider the Warp to which I am referring, essentially, an extreme track (regardless of bike)?

I do understand that the challenges are supposed to add, well, challenge to the tracks. And I do get that they should not be matched 1 to 1 with the difficulty. You are right, sparkierjonesz, that a challenge that is easy, like a single trick, would be silly. But I do feel there are couple that could be a bit more balanced.

Again, I am not saying I don't like the challenges, 95% of the ones I have played have been great! It is just that the warp I referred too felt like it went too far. Again, If having the other bikes makes this challenge significantly easier, to the point of not being an Extreme experience, then I rescind my remarks :) Thanks again.

SparkierJoNESZ
04-10-2014, 01:10 PM
maybe they can give a approximate difficulty for the challenges that way people might find it easier to to judge if they might be able to pull them off or not
or something similar or maybe not have them all unlocked from the start if they are really hard liked locked behind the plat medal for the really hard ones

Zzzlol94
04-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Most of the challenges that are in the beta are well made. Some of them might not be exactly easy, but there's no point in nerfing them if they're not based on luck. Almost all of the challenges are based on skill and if there's anything I want from the challenges, is that all of them are based on skill, no matter the difficulty.

That yellow ball challenge should be easier and not ridiculously based on luck, because that ball does two things 90% of the time, bounce REALLY high, or just sticks to the ground.

lbaum
04-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I guess I am trying to put my finger on it because I went back and played some of the others today and some of them are very hard, even on the easy tracks, and they didn't bother me...like the fusion ball, riding without leaning, and not letting your front wheel touch a pipe.

But I feel like I can eventually get those, or at least enjoy trying. I think with the warp thing it feels like they just drooped an Extreme track in to a medium one. And after years of playing Trials, I honestly don't even try extreme tracks anymore because, to me, they are nothing more than an exercises in frustration and I don't want that from a video game.

As I said, at least with the other challenges, which in my mind are hard, but not to the level of an extreme track, I feel like I will eventually be able to get them. And they are creative and interesting and I have fun trying.

schneebz
04-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Bear in mind that you will get some much more agile bikes to complete these challenges in the full release - doing them now with the roach is quite luck based in some cases.

qbicfeet
04-13-2014, 03:13 PM
The only challenge that needs to be "fixed" is the Pipephobia challenge, which is ridiculous even to a somewhat seasoned Trials veteran like me. I'd like to see some statistics over what percentage of players were able to complete it - I doubt it's more than a fraction of a percent. It's going to be ******edly hard even with the Pit Viper unlocked.

nerf pls

Zzzlol94
04-13-2014, 06:21 PM
The only challenge that needs to be "fixed" is the Pipephobia challenge, which is ridiculous even to a somewhat seasoned Trials veteran like me. I'd like to see some statistics over what percentage of players were able to complete it - I doubt it's more than a fraction of a percent. It's going to be ******edly hard even with the Pit Viper unlocked.

nerf pls

Because games aren't casual enough already? A challenge that's entirely based on skill in a skill based game should stay like it is even if it's really difficult. The challenge isn't broken so there's nothing to fix/nerf. All the challenges on Shear Pressure are ridiculous and they should stay like that. Even though the Pipephobia is close to ninja difficulty on a medium track.

Also, you'll most likely be complaining on other challenges, as I'm pretty sure the most difficult challenge in the game is on one of the hard/extreme tracks.

Vantier
04-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Yes, rather then practicing and getting better to overcome an obstacle, i would rather them put the obstacle behind me that way i can feel good about myself. JK
I dont see how anyone can complain abut the challenges being too hard, my only complaint is that some of them are far to easy.

*Both Gyroscope challenges should have 0 fault requirement
*The Flip challnege on park and ride should require a gold medal time
*Penguin Wash on "Storm Trooper" is a complete joke. Get to a point in the map, then hold reverse for about 30 seconds until you enter a portal, and then just hold gas. This challenge actually made me mad at how trivial it was.
*The sphere challenge on "Around the oasis" is NOT a Maze, and difficulty wise it is like getting silver on the evo sphere game when it should be closer to platinum to be a "challenge".

Other then those, i think all the other challenges are great.

EDIT: Speaking of Pipe Phobia, reminded me that all or most of these challneges should have some kind of notifier like the speed limit challenge on "Road to Ruin" Letting you know when you have failed. That was the most annoying thing about "Pipe Phobia" and similiar challneges is that you didnt know if you messed up until you got to the end and didnt get the challenge completion.

qbicfeet
04-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Because games aren't casual enough already? A challenge that's entirely based on skill in a skill based game should stay like it is even if it's really difficult. The challenge isn't broken so there's nothing to fix/nerf. All the challenges on Shear Pressure are ridiculous and they should stay like that. Even though the Pipephobia is close to ninja difficulty on a medium track.

Also, you'll most likely be complaining on other challenges, as I'm pretty sure the most difficult challenge in the game is on one of the hard/extreme tracks.
There's a difference between "challenging" and "dumb". Unyielding 1 and 2 are tough but challenging. Pipe Phobia is plain dumb, as it requires you to wheelie across 50% of a bumpy track that obviously wasn't designed with wheelies in mind.

It makes zero sense to put in a challenge like Pipe Phobia when the levels before only needed you to wheelie across a minor section of the track.

But sure, just because I'm not as supposedly cool or good as you my criticism isn't valid, right?

MechaBongzilla
04-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Trials has always had some of the most difficult challenges and achievements out there, and I'm glad for it. The main reason these games have so much replay value is that there's always something to keep striving for, there's always a reward for getting better. Most games don't really have anything for the people on the top end of the leaderboards other than leaderboard competition, but Trials does. In any case, the challenges are XP and cash rewards only, they don't count towards game completion % so who cares if you can't beat a few?

Zzzlol94
04-15-2014, 07:24 PM
There's a difference between "challenging" and "dumb". Unyielding 1 and 2 are tough but challenging. Pipe Phobia is plain dumb, as it requires you to wheelie across 50% of a bumpy track that obviously wasn't designed with wheelies in mind.

It makes zero sense to put in a challenge like Pipe Phobia when the levels before only needed you to wheelie across a minor section of the track.

But sure, just because I'm not as supposedly cool or good as you my criticism isn't valid, right?
The challenge that is dumb is the one with the yellow ball because that ball does whatever it wants and is never consistent. Pipe Phobia is really difficult but not dumb.

Vantier
04-16-2014, 06:09 AM

No, Your criticism is invalid because your calling a challenge bad because not many people are "skilled" enough to do it, which is in direct conflict with the general meaning of the word "Challenge".
You seem to be under the impression that challenge difficulty has to be = to that of the tracks line difficulty.
And im no Not sure what you mean bumpy, pretty smooth to me, unless your just talking about the clear angular shifts. Saying its a track "that obviously wasn't designed with wheelies in mind." is incredibly insulting to the track creators by asserting challenges were just thrown in after words with no thought whatsoever.

The bottom line is the challenge is hard, but doable. And theres no reason challenges need to follow the same difficulty curve as the regular track progression.

jaka1510
04-18-2014, 12:09 PM
At the very least there should be a clear indentifier, that you failed the challenge.
Like some sort of a red X or some sound notifications.

Very needed for some of the more difficult challenges.

Zzzlol94
04-19-2014, 12:48 AM
At the very least there should be a clear indentifier, that you failed the challenge.
Like some sort of a red X or some sound notifications.

Very needed for some of the more difficult challenges.
Some challenges have a very clear notification if you've failed, like the two in Road to Ruin. I wish this was a thing for these few challenges. Just like a tiny error beep or just a color changing on the bike. Probably applies to only 6 or so challenges throughout the game.