PDA

View Full Version : Filler cards in HoN

malkorion
04-08-2014, 01:13 PM
http://mmdocking.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Loyal-Hound.jpg

Seriously, you guys?

I was afraid that this set will contain filler cards again. Unless you have draft in mind in the far-far future, there is no justification for this filthy cur to exist.

EDIT: Another 1 drop for Crag Hack to consider?

Revalon
04-08-2014, 01:26 PM
I thought Simon made clear why such cards are needed...

kartelis
04-08-2014, 01:36 PM
where you find this?:)

dobwen60
04-08-2014, 01:47 PM
I thought Simon made clear why such cards are needed...

Just because Simon stated his reasons why filler or inferior cards should exist, doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it. I would go as far as agreeing that filler/useless cards are inevitable in a CCG, but I by no means would ever agree with intentionally designing cards to be filler cards.

That said, I don't think this card falls into that category because it has a niche use where it is a better play than other cards. It may not see play in standard, but another 0 cost turn 1 drop for Crag Hack is not useless.

malkorion
04-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Another thing just came to me:

Hound tribal theme

:D Who let the dogs out? deck

Bad cards need to exist so we know what the good cards are? Part of the learning curve? Necessary teaching tool?

where you find this?

MMDoCKing.com

Blitz556
04-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Interesting that the card gets classified as "hound" instead of something like "beast". So do they have a bunch of other hounds on the way?

malkorion
04-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Interesting that the card gets classified as "hound" instead of something like "beast". So do they have a bunch of other hounds on the way?

Maybe we will see a lord. A card with a name like Imperial Houndmaster. Hounds you control get +1 power / +1 retaliation / +1 hp.

Revalon
04-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Just because Simon stated his reasons why filler or inferior cards should exist, doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it. I would go as far as agreeing that filler/useless cards are inevitable in a CCG, but I by no means would ever agree with intentionally designing cards to be filler cards.

That said, I don't think this card falls into that category because it has a niche use where it is a better play than other cards. It may not see play in standard, but another 0 cost turn 1 drop for Crag Hack is not useless.

Well, the original post was about the question if such cards should be there

there is no justification for this filthy cur to exist.

Simon answered to this. Of course one can have another opinion.

sir_z
04-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Something has to go in Belias's Kennels.

tententai
04-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Well a hound tribal theme would actually be pretty cool :-)

Alandis13
04-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Well there are no 1 cost neutral creatures in BS2, so it has a valid spot in a number of aggro decks.

And yeah I would be thinking of including it in my Crag Hack deck.

sp1n-
04-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Im praying for inferno...:| i hope i can play garant or dhamiria...dhamiria is playable..but garant ..hmm...hope that inferno especially garant without abysal lord ,gate to sheogh and hikyu...and no alligned creature....will be good...:| but i dont think...

Papa_Nurgle
04-08-2014, 09:01 PM
I gather it's specifically a hound, rather than some generic animal creature type, because of all the Inferno creatures that give that creature type an excuse to be used. That being said, it seems entirely possible that some kind of hound tribal could come out of Inferno. Might even get a new Belial to make it happen.
Now that creatures have types, you can't really take the 'bad' ones at face value anymore, because there could always be something coming down the line that cares about tribal that could potentially make them useful.

Irgy_
04-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Some builds of Mother Rush play 12 1-drops and I could honestly see a good case for running 16 with this.
Crag Hack could use another free creature.
The creature type could easily be relevant.

It's quite plausibly playable, the biggest problem it has is too many similar creatures. It's not the worst card ever, in fact it's not even the worst card spoiled for this set. There's a lot of cards that don't see much play, but that's unavoidable. I'm actually often surprised by what cards show up in somewhat out-there but still reasonably competitive decks, there's a fairly low proportion of never-played cards in this game.

gabusan
04-09-2014, 02:38 AM
This dog has sensible stats for its cost in a neutral creature. And there is nothing like this right now, because even if Serpent fly is a flyer and this is a melee, this dog has one point of retailation. So anytime you are considering serpent fly for your deck, you can use this dog instead if you would rather have 1 retailation instead of flying.

Papa_Nurgle
04-09-2014, 03:16 AM
Some builds of Mother Rush play 12 1-drops and I could honestly see a good case for running 16 with this.

Over newborn vampires?

Irgy_
04-09-2014, 05:22 AM
Over newborn vampires?

Newborn Vampire requires 2 might, which is a big deal for a hero starting with 0. The extra abilities might still make up for it but it's not strictly better, particularly in that deck.